shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebree VS. Matatora

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, you know you''re on PS way too much when you see the new Frontline commercial for fleas, and it features a Chinese Pug playing tug-of-war with a Boston Terrier, and the only thing you think is: Hey, it''s Ebree against Matatora.
20.gif
I really do need a life.
2.gif

shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen that commercial shay at thought the same thing
41.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
LOL! How funny. I haven't seen it yet!

....which one wins?
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol that''s funny!!

what is a chinese pug, different from the typical pugs???

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 8:21:08 PM
Author: Mara
lol that''s funny!!

what is a chinese pug, different from the typical pugs???
It''s the pug in Ebree''s avatar. There are all different kinds of pugs.

shay

E B

Ideal_Rock
My little chinese pug is sitting on my lap as we speak. I was rubbing behind her ears and listening to her purr. A dog that purrs? Mine does!

Sally loves to play tug-of-war with me. She usually wins, though, so watch out Ava!
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
1. Oh I want to see! Ava is curled up on the bed, she has had a long day of squirrel chasing.
2.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
That is the cutest commerical. EBree''s little pug is so cute, I''m thinking of getting one. Or a Westie. Or Yorkie. You''re all bad influences.
25.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 8:43:01 PM
Author: XChick03
That is the cutest commerical. EBree's little pug is so cute, I'm thinking of getting one. Or a Westie. Or Yorkie. You're all bad influences.
25.gif

Thank you! They're such little clowns. I must warn you, though, they shed an awful lot. Though, if you have a GSD (like the cutie in your icon), I'm sure you're no stranger to shedding!
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I was always wondering what kind of dog you had Ebree...she''s adorable! I love pugs but my husband thinks they are girly dogs so I''m stuck with a beagle (that was our compromise from his love of big dogs to the smaller dog I said I''d tolerate in the house...I''m a cat lover but he''s allergic...isn''t that convenient??? LOL)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2006 12:51:34 AM
Author: Small
Oh, I was always wondering what kind of dog you had Ebree...she's adorable! I love pugs but my husband thinks they are girly dogs so I'm stuck with a beagle (that was our compromise from his love of big dogs to the smaller dog I said I'd tolerate in the house...I'm a cat lover but he's allergic...isn't that convenient??? LOL)
That's so funny Small! My husband and I had the exact same compromise! He wanted a Bull Mastiff, I wanted a dog i could carry in a dog tote, so our comp. was the beagle, lol! I'm also a cat lover but when we moved into our first house together with the new puppy, my cat let it be known she wasn't happy by peeing all over everything right in front of us nonstop...sadly, I was forced to give her away to what turned out to be an excellent home (she's very happy now)!

We love our beagle, he's a tri-color, but we would love to give him a lemon-colored sister--we already know we'd like to call her Daisy! Know of any reputable breeders??? LOL!
36.gif

P.S. Ebree and Mata, your doggies are way too cute! I haven't seen that commercial so I can't comment, but I bet it's adorable!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i had no idea there were various types of pugs, does anyone have a link to more information?

we have about 8 pugs in our complex, but they all look the same...what i dubbed 'regular pug'..hehe oh and we have a black one too! i love the snorting noises they make when you rub them and they are happy.

ETA: when i googled pugs, two diff websites said: 'Pugs are known as Pug Dogs, Pugs, and Chinese Pugs interchangably.'...and in reading it sounded like all dogs were pugs/chinese pugs? so what are the other types of pugs??
33.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought there was only one kind also. All the pugs I''ve seen look the same.
33.gif

EBree, how are they behavior-wise? My GSD is so chaotic and stubborn, I''m not sure I could handle another dog like her. And Mara, what about yours? I finally talked Peter into letting me get a little dog, now I have to decide what I want.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I saw that commercial last night for the first time and thought about PS!
9.gif
31.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Get a Boston Terrier! They are fantastic, lovely and super cute. Boston’s have a kind and gentle temperament, are easy to train and don’t need grooming…obviously I am quite fond of the breed. You might try the Animal Plants Dog quiz to see what they recommend as a starting point.
Dog Breed Selector

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Portia is the best, so obviously I am biased!!

i had a westie when i was younger and she was just the sweetest thing ever, so i knew that i wanted another one in the future. the funny thing is that they are smallish dogs but they have the biggest personality, i swear she thinks she's like 50 lbs or something. so it's not like having a small dog that is scared of larger dogs or scared in general, she loves to go out and run around and play and then when she comes back inside she just chills and relaxes. part of it IMO is how the dogs are but part of it is how your household is. our household is pretty quiet and calm since it's just us, there are no kids etc and so she kind of adopted what we like to do and chills out and lays on the couch with us, sleeps when we sleep, etc.

on a funny note, greg was not sooo sure about getting a dog but above and beyond that a small dog like a westie. both of us were unsure when we went to get her because it meant such large changes, but now we can't imagine life without her! and he ADORES her....and doesn't mind walking her and picking up her poo (hehe he was SO against this in the beginning). he loves that she has the big dog personality, she's loving and affectionate, smart, and no one can resist THAT FACE anything! she is very pack oriented, she sleeps snuggled up with us and loves to be in whatever room we are...she hates being apart from us.

also westies don't shed (like once a year she drops some fur but that's it), we get her regularly groomed every 2-3 months mostly for just a little haircut and nail clippings etc, they don't smell like some of the other terriers do (skin and fur), the one downer is that some of them are prone to skin allergies and we have seen some with severe problems where their fur falls out etc. also they can be prone to hip problems so if you do look into it, find a breeder who is breeding OUT skin problems and the hip issues rather than just continuing to inbreed their dogs, if you can.

i think with any breed there are positives and negatives, and every breed has it's own health issues or diseases...but i do have to say that the dog books with their 'traits' for dogs, for westies they are only partially right about some things so it's hard to take it as gospel when you are searching...they say they are not good with kids but portia is very tolerant, but that is how we raised her. they say they are stubborn and she does have some of that but again part of it is how we raised her to know she can't get away with stuff. they say to never let a westie off a leash because if it sees 'prey' aka a squirrel it will run off after it...but i have done alot of training with portia in the park and so i do let her off leash there, but i wouldn't do it anywhere else. she has bolted when she sees a squirrel, but i have been able to recall her before she ran off. *knock on wood* IMO part of it is what's bred into them and part of it is training.

hope this helps!! honestly i know that each dog owner is biased but portia is really fabulous, the only thing i would change if i could would be her sensitive purebred stomach because we had to figure out a happy medium for her to minimize upsets and stuff, so she can't just eat anything, but it's also good because then she has a strict food routine which dogs actually prefer. so we're not tempted to feed her table scraps because we know her stomach cant handle it. it keeps her leaner too!

HAVE FUN shopping around for dogs! do alot of internet research and when you narrow it down, find a local club in your area for the breed, aka there is a westie SF bayarea club that meets 3-4 times a year and we go to the spring fling gathering in april with portia, so you can see and be around the dogs of the breed and observe and talk to people...lots of prospective westie owners come to the spring fling and just walk around asking people questions about their dogs, playing with the dogs etc. i did it too....that may help narrow it down even further or pinpoint a breed as being the one for you. it's also great to find breeders through the local clubs as well as they tend to know who to recommend and who is having a litter soon etc.

SORRY this was so long but i could go on for days about westies and how fabulous they are....i've loved them for years!!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Shay that''s hilarious. We are a bunch of sick sick individuals whose worlds revolve around PS!!! And I wouldn''t change a thing.
9.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Mara, you''ve practically sold me on Westies.
2.gif
But Boston Terriers and Pugs are so cute, too.

I''ve already done a good bit of internet searching, but like you said Mara, that only goes so far. I mean, GSDs are supposed to be "aloof" when it comes to strangers, but with Bella, she''ll run up to anyone who comes in our door and licks their hand.
20.gif
Though, I guess asking owners of a particular breed doesn''t help much either considering they are partial to their breed. I''m pretty knowledgable when it comes to dogs, I think because I''ve been dog books since I was a kid, but in my experience, every dog has its own individual personality that is usually just similar to what the breed standards say.

It''s so funny because I always had smaller dogs as a child, so when I moved out and decided to get my own puppy, I wanted a big dog and fell in love with GSDs immediately. Of course, now that I have a big dog, I want a little one. Though, I''ve always adored Westies and Yorkies, but there are so many other adorable breeds. Plus, we want another GSD eventually, too. I wish I could have one of every breed.
7.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
xchick, i adore dogs too and there are a few breeds i''d love to own, westies just have a special place in my heart because we used to have one when i was little and she was just such a delight...that was seared into my brain and i knew i always wanted to have another. and of course having portia is just like a dream come true.

i really love corgi''s too...their funny long big bodies and short little legs! also poms are super cute and i wouldn''t mind another type of terrier like a norwich or norfolk, greg is dying for us to get a scottie. i''d love to have a bunch of dogs on a big farm!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That commercial has been playing non stop in my area, and everytime I see it I think of this thread. Such cute doggies they are.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I finally saw this commercial! So cute! Now we need the Ava avatar again!

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m starting to think that I will eventually go the route of a "little dog" --- I used to be a big dog snob, and I have a St. Bernard ("Dante") He''s awesome, but I wish I could have a little one to hang out in the house. Plus walking him is really me being dragged. He almost outweighs me! Sadly, at 4 years old, he''s middle aged.
8.gif
I''d love a dog that has a longer lifespan.

jen

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I vote for Miniature Schnauzers!!!! ...specially black ones with natural floppy ears!!
31.gif

Yes, I am biased!! but he truly is the best!...schnauzers are just so loving, smart...they don''t shed....he''s little but doesn''t have the little dog characteristics that annoy me (jumping on you all day, etc). He''s very protective, which I love
30.gif

I was between a Westie and a Schnauzer...I still love Westies too!

M~

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 7:15:05 PM
Author: sk8rjen
I''m starting to think that I will eventually go the route of a ''little dog'' --- I used to be a big dog snob, and I have a St. Bernard (''Dante'') He''s awesome, but I wish I could have a little one to hang out in the house. Plus walking him is really me being dragged. He almost outweighs me! Sadly, at 4 years old, he''s middle aged.
8.gif
I''d love a dog that has a longer lifespan.

jen
Obviously I love my Ava! She is very friendly and likes to stick with me when I am home. They are not barkers, and they dont shed which is nice. They are smart dogs and so loyal! I just love her oodles!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I have been secretly wanting a little dog (so I can put it in my purse, etc).
I have fallen in love with the photo of Ava.

it snuck up on me!

I have NEVER wanted a little dog!

I used to have a Bouvier des Flandres (a big dog that looks like a cross between a giant schanuzer & a sheep dog) and I always thought I''d get another one, but lately.... those little dogs are SO CUTE!

When I read mara talking about Portia, it sounds like a great lifestyle fit, too.

I mean, how much exercise can a little dog need? It would be easier to meet the needs of a little dog.

oy, don''t tell my husband!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic of a Bouvier.
My nickname for mine was "Honker-nose"

bouvier.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww what a cutie mandarine, he looks like a scottie. greg is dying for us to get a scottie. i am like yak, a 2nd dog? i don't know!

actually i think it depends on what kind of little dog you get but portia needs a fair amount of exercise. she LOVES to be outside and run and play. sure she will sleep the day away if i don't take her out, but she'd get fat really quickly! alot of westies are too sedentary. anyway, if i take her out and throw the ball she loves to run and chase it etc. i try to get her outside for about 30 minutes at least 5 days a week if not all 7...because she just loves to sit and look outside and stuff, i feel cruel if i don't take her out. hehe. but i know there are other small dog breeds that don't require so much activity...aka the yorkies seem to be a small terrier that is not SO into the running and chasing thing...there are a few in the park here and they are pretty mellow, just kinda following their owners around. you rarely see them out running and chasing other dogs or getting super excited. same with shih-tzus sometimes (though there are a few in the park that are fiesty!) and also malteses. there are two malteses in our park and they are totally mellow, one loves portia but she is not a big 'player'...she just kind of runs in small circles and wants more loving than anything.

but i also think it depends on the personality of the DOG itself, not just the breed. portia is a playful and fun westie but alot of them as they get older become kind of more sedentary, there is a 5 year old in the park and she is pretty darn mellow. i hope portia doesn't change too much for at least a few years but she has gotten even more mellow even just being 2 years old. anyway...just some thoughts on small dogs!!

on a funny note, we have seen this commercial a few times and each time portia runs up to the tv and growls and barks at matatora and ebree. one of these days i will have the camera handy and be able to catch her up on hind legs with snout on the TV and the two dogs playing tug of war on the screen. that will be a really hilarious picture!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
oh mandarine, your little min. schanuzer is adorable!

mara- you MUST keep the camera handy! I'd love to see a shot of Portia when the commercial comes on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results