shape
carat
color
clarity

Dubai and Oman

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I finally have pictures from my trip to Duabi and Oman and I thought I'd share a few! I went for Christmas to visit my family, and had a blast. I can't wait to go back!

Sand%20Dunes.jpg
Sand dunes in Dubai - these were about an hour outside of the city

Stuck.jpg
My brother and I went dune bashing - 4 wheeling through the sand dunes - and one of the cars got stuck!

Desert%20Sunset%202.jpg
We watched the sun set over the desert

Desert%20Sunset%201.jpg
I had fun fiddling with the settings on my camera!

Bedouin%20Dinner.jpg
We had a beduoin style dinner and watched a belly dancer.

Hubbly%20bubbly.jpg
The hookah area - we smoked after dinner instead of having desert. Mmmm....apple sheesha! (Shisha?)

Cool%20architecture.jpg
Dubai had some really amazing architecture. There were skyscrapers everywhere, and they all looked SO different! Some looked like perfume bottles, some looked like palm trees...it looks like it was an architect's playground!

Burj%20Khalifa%20Daytime.jpgBurj%20Khalifa.jpg
And I can't mention architecture in Dubai without the Burj Khalifa! We went to the top (well, as far up as they'll let you go) and looked out over the city. It's an incredible view at night:

From%20the%20Burj%20Khalifa.jpg

Burj%20Al-Arab.jpg
We went to dinner for my brother's birthday, and we had a great view of the Burj Al-Arab.

Beach%20Oman.jpg
We went to Khasab, Oman for a quick beach holiday. This was taken by the side of the road on the way to the hotel.

Goats.jpg
Happy Omani goats grazing by the hotel. Omani goats are used for milk and cheese. The sad Iranian goat (not pictured) are turned into mutton curry and other delicious foods. The Iranians bring the goats over by speedboat in the morning, and trade for electronics, candy, soda, and other items.

Khasab%20Castle.jpg
We toured Khasab Castle, which is a few hundred years old, and had a ton of interesting information about the area and the history of Islam in Oman. Fascinating stuff!

Dolphin%20Oman.jpg
The next morning we went on a dhow cruise. From what I could tell, dhows are the traditional barges, which have been mostly replaced by speedboats, except for the ones taken by obnoxious tourists that want an "authentic experience" ;-) Two different species of dolphins came and played alongside our dhow

Dhow%20Oman.jpg
Not the best detail shot, but that's a dhow. Unfortunately I don't have an underwater camera, so I don't have any shots from our snorkeling adventures.

Water%20taxi%20Dubai.jpg
When we got back to Dubai, we went shopping in the souks, and had to take a water taxi across the creek from the gold/spice souks to the textile souk. I love the combination of new buildings and older water taxis.

Aquarium%20Dubai%20Mall.jpg
The Dubai Mall was like no mall I've ever seen before! They have a two story aquarium in the middle of it (I'm sorry, aquarium and underwater zoo - I didn't realize there was a difference). They also have the most amazing jewelry section I've ever seen. There was a 20 carat pear that I'm still plotting how to get my paws on (not pictured, sorry! The security guard scared me). There was a gorgeous cushion in the window at Graff that was so beautiful that I was amused but not surprised to see a nose and lip prints on the glass in front of it where somebody either got too close to the glass trying to look at it, or kissed the glass because it was just. that. gorgeous.

And just for fun - look at the friends I made!
Falcon.jpgCamel.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a beautiful place! I watch the construction of the mall on mega-structures and the tank holds 100million gallons of water! It was so cool watching it come together!

Thanks for sharing the pics, you did a great job on these shots!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are fabulous; I loved looking at these!!! You look fabulous btw! Thank you for sharing; I got to live vicariously through your pics for a few mins! hehe :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss, you've taken some fabulous, wonderful to look at photos. Great composition! And you are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these...I'm sure I'll come back to them again today as they are worth a second and third look!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1294331080|2815755 said:
Princesss, you've taken some fabulous, wonderful to look at photos. Great composition! And you are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these...I'm sure I'll come back to them again today as they are worth a second and third look!

Aww, thank you! I love traveling, and am always looking to extend the fun of being away, and photography has been helping me do that. Instead of picking up souveniers all the time, I've been much more focused on getting a really great picture that I can blow up and frame when I get home. That way I get pictures from places that really represent MY experience, and not just a generic touristy shot. (Not that I don't have those, or generic touristy art I pick up in different countries, but these are just a little bit more special to me.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1294331575|2815766 said:

Aww, thank you! I love traveling, and am always looking to extend the fun of being away, and photography has been helping me do that. Instead of picking up souveniers all the time, I've been much more focused on getting a really great picture that I can blow up and frame when I get home. That way I get pictures from places that really represent MY experience, and not just a generic touristy shot. (Not that I don't have those, or generic touristy art I pick up in different countries, but these are just a little bit more special to me.)

Agree. The only souvenirs I ever picked up in my travels were those hat pins (They currently frame a corkboard in my office...I have tons of them, but only collect one for each city) and my photographs, which still decorate my house. Even know with a family, I have more pics of my travels up than I do us...I guess I never get sick of looking at beautiful or interesting places, vs staring at my mug!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and while the shots are you are cool, don't you wish that you could give someone the camera so they could take a fantastically composed photo of you? I mean, those camels are totally cut off!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1294331775|2815769 said:
Oh, and while the shots are you are cool, don't you wish that you could give someone the camera so they could take a fantastically composed photo of you? I mean, those camels are totally cut off!!!

YES!!!! Oh, that is the biggest frustration for me. I take so much time to make sure the picture is juuuuuust right, and when I want a shot of me the other person just snaps and hands it back. Ugh. I'm going to NZ this fall and a friend of mine is thinking about coming with me, and I'm so grateful that she's as obsessed with getting good pictures as I am.

ETA: Credit where credit is due, my new av is a cropped version of a picture my brother took that is absolutely fantastic. But that's definitely a rarity.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1294331575|2815766 said:

great pics! And we do the same. Each place we've been to we blow up one picture (the only rules, no people in the shot) and put on our walls at home!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I really enjoyed your pics. It looked like an amazing trip!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for sharing- that looks like it was an amazing trip, and your pictures are amazing too. And ditto to T-Gal, you are gorgeous!

April20

Ideal_Rock
What a cool trip! It looks like you had a great time. And I am totally jealous of your photography skills. I've vowed to get better at taking pics.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - what an amazing trip!! Thanks for sharing princess - everything sounds so luxurious and beautiful ::) :bigsmile:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
April, do you want to know the secret? I take the same picture about 15 times, varying zoom, angle, composition, etc. and then just pick the best one when I get home! I took about 700 pictures while I was there, and then had to weed through them to find the really great ones when I was back home.

Thank you ladies so much! I had a blast playing with my camera while I was over there. I'm glad you like the results (I know I sure do!).

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic pictures, princesss!! Dubai is on my "list" and I'm hoping to get there in the next five years. I will be hunting you down for tips and advice when we finally book the trip!

Thanks for sharing these!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw these pictures the other day, but didn't have time to comment. LOVE LOVE LOVE Them. Looks like you had an incredible time :appl: You are also BEAUTIFUL Princesss! AMazing pictures and thank you for sharing your experience.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
COOL PICS!!!!!!

Ok, I HAVE to go visit my dad in Oman now. ASAP.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG, what stunning photos!!! I'm dying to get to this part of the world and your photos just enticed me even more, they look like postcards. Absolutely gorgeous--the scenery and you!! Thanks so much for sharing.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a once in a lifetime vacation! Absolutely stunning pics, too! Thank you so much for sharing!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous pictures, Princesss! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results