shape
carat
color
clarity

Downton Spoiler

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I knew about it because of a FB spoiler,it was too harsh to be sad , I actually teared up at the Branson and Mrs. Hughes scene.
Yes, Matthew is on Broadway now, sporting and American accent!
I wish they had not killed him off, but instead pull an American soap opera trick, give the character devastating facial injuries, wrap him up for a few episodes and unwrap a new actor :naughty:
I heard they showed this in England on Christmas Day!! What a horror that must have been. :confused:

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Elisateach|1361196311|3383050 said:
I knew about it because of a FB spoiler,it was too harsh to be sad , I actually teared up at the Branson and Mrs. Hughes scene.
I wish they had not killed him off, but instead pull an American soap opera trick, give the character devastating facial injuries, wrap him up for a few episodes and unwrap a new actor :naughty:
I heard they showed this in England on Christmas Day!! What a horror that must have been. :confused:

Yes, last night's episode was the Christmas special in the UK. I was in London shortly after Christmas and saw the articles in the news about fan outrage and Dan Steven's reasons for leaving. Talk about a damper on the holiday season!!!

I'm still holding out hope in regards to how they deal with this next season....maybe they will do the "unwrap a new actor" trick after all or just have Matthew away in a hospital in Switzerland (just in case Dan changes his mind later)! It will be interesting though....Mary will probably have some conflicts with her father, if they have her take up Matthew's job of trying to preserve the legacy of DA...it could tell more about the changing role of women in society at that time.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DH and I were so bummed....what a "down"er.... :cry:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi,

I wondered why the child birth scene was so saccharine. I didn't like that scene. No bearing in reality for me. But the death was quite a surprise. I was stunned. Killing off 2 good characters is a bit much.

I agree with the poster who wrote that Mrs Hughes and Bramson was a good scene. The wise one.

The episode where they allow our gay character to stay in his job was so unbelievable to me that it caused me to to like the show less. It never would have happened.

This season was the least interesting to me, except for Sybil. I really like Upstairs, Downstairs better. Of course i will continue to watch.

Annette

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I read British newspapers online & saw this was going to happen, sob. He was my favorite character too. They didn't have a choice since both he & Sybil didn't renew their contracts.

A casting call is out for Lady Mary's new boyfriend -- who is "handsome" and a "great personality." I'll bet there will be a few potential boyfriends, some kind of suspicious characters, because life can't be smooth, ya know.

I agree w/Smitcompton about Thomas's staying on & everybody is hunky dory with his being gay -- not likely to have happened in those days. It was tolerated if discreet, but definitely not open -- look at Oscar Wilde's ruination.

A review I read said they seem to have gotten messages from the 21st century re tolerance, including the budding upstairs-downstairs friendships. It's a little too fuzzy warm for accuracy. But it's still fun.

--- Laurie

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
OMG last night's show was so sad!!! WTH! I never saw this coming. First Sybil and now Matthew... nooooooooo! Is this the season finale or will there be another episode next week?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or they could've sent him away to India to..to...I don't know to look out for the Empire or some such.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1361205023|3383118 said:
hi,

The episode where they allow our gay character to stay in his job was so unbelievable to me that it caused me to to like the show less. It never would have happened

Annette

Unfortunate, but true. And it was so contrived to begin with - I doubt very much a gay character would've ever put the moves on a coworker like that.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually teared up at the Branson and Mrs. Hughes scene.

This may be a stupid question, but do you mean the scene with Sybil and Tom's baby? I loved watching Branson get all soft when he was carrying the baby. He is a very good actor, because I could believe his love and tenderness at the same time I could see his awkwardness in holding the baby. But there were other tender scenes between Branson and Mrs. Hughes in this episode as well, like when she is chastising him for not letting staff have time off, etc. One of my favorite laugh out loud moments - again, because he and she are such wonderful actors - was when he was explaining that while they respected Mrs. Hughes, that he was the true leader and he said, in all seriousness, "Heavy is the head that wears the crown." She was wonderful in showing just enough subtle bemusement. I loved that whole scene!

It seems that they are delving into the characters of the downstairs folks more now - maybe because they're killing off all the upstairs folks :lol: :lol:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1361233134|3383656 said:

This may be a stupid question, but do you mean the scene with Sybil and Tom's baby? I loved watching Branson get all soft when he was carrying the baby. He is a very good actor, because I could believe his love and tenderness at the same time I could see his awkwardness in holding the baby. But there were other tender scenes between Branson and Mrs. Hughes in this episode as well, like when she is chastising him for not letting staff have time off, etc. One of my favorite laugh out loud moments - again, because he and she are such wonderful actors - was when he was explaining that while they respected Mrs. Hughes, that he was the true leader and he said, in all seriousness, "Heavy is the head that wears the crown." She was wonderful in showing just enough subtle bemusement. I loved that whole scene!

It seems that they are delving into the characters of the downstairs folks more now - maybe because they're killing off all the upstairs folks :lol: :lol:

are you thinking of Mr. Carson-the head butler? Tom Branson was married to Sybil. I believe the scene she was referring to was when Mrs. Hughes was telling Tom how proud Sybil would have been of him. =)

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Strangely, they showed the Christmas special last December even though it should come after season three. I refuse to watch it until Christmas. And I think it was wrong to kill him off on the day his child was born. And I want Sybil back. The Scottish scenery was breathtaking, though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1361237765|3383788 said:

are you thinking of Mr. Carson-the head butler? Tom Branson was married to Sybil. I believe the scene she was referring to was when Mrs. Hughes was telling Tom how proud Sybil would have been of him. =)

*smacks head* D'oh! :oops: You are absolutely right! I had completely forgotten about that lovely scene. Again, great acting. And doesn't everyone deserve a Mrs. Hughes in their lives? :bigsmile:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1361237822|3383790 said:
Strangely, they showed the Christmas special last December even though it should come after season three. I refuse to watch it until Christmas. And I think it was wrong to kill him off on the day his child was born. And I want Sybil back. The Scottish scenery was breathtaking, though.

It did come after season 3. :confused:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

No, there was a Season 2 'Christmas Special' that was set around Christmas-time in Downton-land. There is also a Season 3 'Christmas Special' that was set in the spring/summertime in Downton-land and aired in ITV in England on Christmas (Dec. 25, 2012). It is confusing because sometimes PBS airs the episodes differently from how they were shown on ITV.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1361285086|3384192 said:

No, there was a Season 2 'Christmas Special' that was set around Christmas-time in Downton-land. There is also a Season 3 'Christmas Special' that was set in the spring/summertime in Downton-land and aired in ITV in England on Christmas (Dec. 25, 2012). It is confusing because sometimes PBS airs the episodes differently from how they were shown on ITV.

Do you mean they show them in the wrong order?

starshine

Shiny_Rock
mayerling|1361286723|3384222 said:

No, they are shown in the right sequence, but PBS edits a bit and combines the series into fewer episodes to be shown in the US. The UK got 8 episodes for their regular season plus the Christmas special....we got 7 episodes total which includes the Christmas special. If you get the DVDs, it has the episodes as they were presented in the UK.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Starshine|1361288861|3384259 said:

No, they are shown in the right sequence, but PBS edits a bit and combines the series into fewer episodes to be shown in the US. The UK got 8 episodes for their regular season plus the Christmas special....we got 7 episodes total which includes the Christmas special. If you get the DVDs, it has the episodes as they were presented in the UK.

But they don't omit any scenes, right? They just combine them into longer episodes?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1361292774|3384308 said:

But they don't omit any scenes, right? They just combine them into longer episodes?

Correct. They have lumped together two episodes into one, but I don't think they delete anything. They show the 'Christmas Specials' as just regular episodes, along with the other episodes, whereas on ITV, the show aired in the fall and then fans had to wait a bit for the final episode on Christmas. You can see the original air dates and episode lengths on the Wikipedia entry for the episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Downton_Abbey_episodes

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Exactly right. Waaaaahhhhh ;(

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1361294136|3384341 said:
mayerling|1361292774|3384308 said:

Correct. They have lumped together two episodes into one, but I don't think they delete anything. They show the 'Christmas Specials' as just regular episodes, along with the other episodes, whereas on ITV, the show aired in the fall and then fans had to wait a bit for the final episode on Christmas. You can see the original air dates and episode lengths on the Wikipedia entry for the episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Downton_Abbey_episodes

I know. I live in the UK and watched them when they aired here, so I was confused when somebody said that they showed the christmas special for season 3 before season 3... :confused:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Just watched it. I knew it was coming based on an article about the actor moving on. This season has been a bit blah. The first half was okay, but the second half just seemed overly dramatic. Very soap opera-y.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel said:

Yes that's the scene:)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I was hugely disappointed with this season, and it seems like we're seeing the same storylines over and over again (Just had a baby? Let's kill off a parent. Edith mixing up with married men. Fooling around between the upstairs and downstairs. Thomas making unwelcome advances where they aren't wanted. Etc etc etc). For only being three seasons in, that's a bit of a let-down.

Not sure if you've all seen the "If Downton Abbey Took Place on Facebook" recaps, but they're super entertaining. I almost wish I had just read those instead of wasting my time with watching the entire season! :lol:

http://www.happyplace.com/20382/dowton-abbey-facebook-recap

http://www.happyplace.com/20538/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-2

http://www.happyplace.com/20707/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-3

http://www.happyplace.com/20883/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-4

http://www.happyplace.com/21079/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-5

http://www.happyplace.com/21258/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-6

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-7

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1361988625|3391883 said:
I was hugely disappointed with this season, and it seems like we're seeing the same storylines over and over again (Just had a baby? Let's kill off a parent. Edith mixing up with married men. Fooling around between the upstairs and downstairs. Thomas making unwelcome advances where they aren't wanted. Etc etc etc). For only being three seasons in, that's a bit of a let-down.

Not sure if you've all seen the "If Downton Abbey Took Place on Facebook" recaps, but they're super entertaining. I almost wish I had just read those instead of wasting my time with watching the entire season! :lol:

It's been a while since I watched the 3rd season, but what fooling around was there between upstairs and downstairs?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1361992076|3391931 said:

It's been a while since I watched the 3rd season, but what fooling around was there between upstairs and downstairs?

The maid who kissed Branson.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for sharing! These were absolutely hysterical! :lol:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gawd, this season was heartbreaking, disappointing, and in the end... just stressful. I like some emotion in my TV shows, but not the kind that leaves you feeling sick to your stomach (we have regular movies for that! And real life. Knock on wood). Boycotting whatever seasons are to come. I'll just re-watch Pride & Prejudice 10 more times. Or Emma. That was delightful!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1361993109|3391946 said:
mayerling|1361992076|3391931 said:

The maid who kissed Branson.

I guess that must have been one of the least memorable moments on the show as far as I'm concerned. Even after you told me, I had to think hard to remember.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1362023939|3392370 said:
Gawd, this season was heartbreaking, disappointing, and in the end... just stressful. I like some emotion in my TV shows, but not the kind that leaves you feeling sick to your stomach (we have regular movies for that! And real life. Knock on wood). Boycotting whatever seasons are to come. I'll just re-watch Pride & Prejudice 10 more times. Or Emma. That was delightful!

So true.
DH has finally decided to watch it. So we've been watching it together for the past couple of weeks. After watching Sybill's death last night, he refuses to keep watching.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling|1362035436|3392452 said:
GemFever|1362023939|3392370 said:

So true.
DH has finally decided to watch it. So we've been watching it together for the past couple of weeks. After watching Sybill's death last night, he refuses to keep watching.

Yeah, my DH also said (though after the death of Matthew) that what transpired this season has made it so that he has no interest in watching any future seasons. I'll admit to feeling that way, too, but I'm pretty fickle when it comes to these things and will probably end up watching in the future anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results