shape
carat
color
clarity

Downton Abbey Question

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I know there's already a DA, but it has major spoilers for those of us who haven't seen it through to the end.

I noticed that Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes are both referred to as Mrs., even though neither have been married. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Housekeeper and cooks back then were always "Mrs", married or not. It gave them greater authority and respect in their role presiding over all the other downstairs staff.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1453920390|3982453 said:
Housekeeper and cooks back then were always "Mrs", married or not. It gave them greater authority and respect in their role presiding over all the other downstairs staff.

Very interesting, thanks for clarifying! I don't know why it took this many seasons for me to notice it. I guess I'm not that observant.

I think I need to re-watch all of them once it's over. There is way too much time between seasons, and I completely forget what had been going on.

Did they ever say for sure what happened to Edith's boyfriend? I thought someone had sent an investigator or something and there was some info, but was anything ever definite?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was all a bit of a mystery about Edith's boyfriend, but as far as I could make out or remember, he had gone to Germany to live for a while to get German citizenship, I think, in order to divorce his mentally disabled wife so he could marry Edith. Because I think you could do that in germany but not the UK. Or perhaps they were Catholics so couldn't divorce, but perhaps Catholics can divorce in Germany. I'm not sure. But something about living in germany was going to help him divorce her and marry Edith. Anyway, while he was there, he was seen in a scuffle with some Blackshirts, or something - one of Hitler's bodies? And then he disappeared, and I think at some point confirmation came that he was dead, but I can't remember how that confirmation came, or via whom, or if the Blackshirt incident was a chance meeting that ended up in a fight, or if he had been involved against them. Could have been Brownshirts. It was a little bit of a twisted storyline that unfolded very gradually so you kind of forgot what happened in between, and I didn't think it was a very clear storyline either, but that's what I gathered.

I agree there is way too much time between seasons - about a year! Not only do you completely forget what happened, you've moved on and you don't care! I don't know why they can't keep it going a little more sharp and snappy. I think the quality of the storylines is really variable, anyway. Some have been wonderful, but the one where Matthew miraculously arose from his wheelchair - oh, please - and that storyline about the hospital administration that went on, and on, and on, and on....and who the hell cares about hospital administration and who's on the board? It wasn't really the same for me after Matthew and Mary got married and the chase was over, and then Dan Stevens left, along with others. Matthew and Mary's first kiss and when he proposed to her in the snow.....ohhhh, some of the most romantic TV scenes ever!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1453922672|3982474 said:
It was all a bit of a mystery about Edith's boyfriend, but as far as I could make out or remember, he had gone to Germany to live for a while to get German citizenship, I think, in order to divorce his mentally disabled wife so he could marry Edith. Because I think you could do that in germany but not the UK. Or perhaps they were Catholics so couldn't divorce, but perhaps Catholics can divorce in Germany. I'm not sure. But something about living in germany was going to help him divorce her and marry Edith. Anyway, while he was there, he was seen in a scuffle with some Blackshirts, or something - one of Hitler's bodies? And then he disappeared, and I think at some point confirmation came that he was dead, but I can't remember how that confirmation came, or via whom, or if the Blackshirt incident was a chance meeting that ended up in a fight, or if he had been involved against them. Could have been Brownshirts. It was a little bit of a twisted storyline that unfolded very gradually so you kind of forgot what happened in between, and I didn't think it was a very clear storyline either, but that's what I gathered.

I agree there is way too much time between seasons - about a year! Not only do you completely forget what happened, you've moved on and you don't care! I don't know why they can't keep it going a little more sharp and snappy. I think the quality of the storylines is really variable, anyway. Some have been wonderful, but the one where Matthew miraculously arose from his wheelchair - oh, please - and that storyline about the hospital administration that went on, and on, and on, and on....and who the hell care about hospital administration and who's on the board? It wasn't really the same for me after Matthew and Mary got married and the chase was over, and then Dan Stevens left along with others. Matthew and Mary's first kiss and when he proposed to her in the snow.....ohhhh, some of the most romantic TV scenes ever!

Thanks for that recap, that helps. I was thinking they would bring Edith's boyfriend back at some point, but it looks like she will end up with the guy who helped her with the newspaper? Don't tell me!

I'm still in the middle of the hospital admin stuff. Seriously, I don't care.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edith's boyfriend was confirmed dead and that is how she got his London apartment and the magazine through a last minute will before he left for Germany. If he was not confirmed dead, his heirs-i.e. the crazy wife- would have not allowed Edith to take over.He was a rich man so I assume the wife got the rest. I think we all are hoping it was a case of mistaken identity and that he will show up at the end.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of relived that it's the final season ever. I feel I have to watch it because we all fell so in love with it, and for the wonderful actors, clothes, beautiful scenery etc. but it's really been dragging on for quite a while with some very inane or unlikely storylines.

ETA: Lambskin, can you remember how confirmation came about Michael's death? I can't. And what was going on with Michael and that fascist group, the Blackshirts or something?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
"That was nice of you, to praise Edith like that."

"Well, a monkey will type out the bible if you leave it long enough."

Hahahaha

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A line that brought home to me just how bad the Great War of 1914-1918 was in terms of life loss, spoken by Sybil in an early season:

"Sometimes it seems that all the men I ever danced with are dead."

:shock:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1453925474|3982500 said:
I'm kind of relived that it's the final season ever. I feel I have to watch it because we all fell so in love with it, and for the wonderful actors, clothes, beautiful scenery etc. but it's really been dragging on for quite a while with some very inane or unlikely storylines.

I will be watching the season finale tonight because I feel I should lol. Although I agree it really has been quite silly these last two seasons.

cheers--Sharon

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lord Fellowes, who wrote it, was quoted this week saying he would consider a movie, wonder what would be left to put in it?

Enjoy the finale, it ties up lots of loose ends!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm really looking forward to the finale, but also I don't want to watch it because then it's over :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results