shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your bathroom have a window?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Another question for my bathroom remodel......I currently have a set of double windows in the bathroom. The best floor plan layout involves taking those out adn moving my sink, vanity, and mirror to that wall. So - no windows. For myself, that''s fine. I don''t like too much light. But I wonder about saleability somehwere down the road....
Do your bathrooms have windows? Do you prefer or not prefer it that way? Would a ''very nice'' bathroom that has no windows be a turnoff?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well, it depends if it is your main bathroom (i.e, the master bedroom), then it would really bother me. This would be a deal breaker. However if it''s the 3rd bathroom in the basement, then there are good chances I wouldn''t notice.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Neither of our bathrooms (we have 1.5) have windows. We're in a townhouse, but it is an end unit and both bathrooms have walls on that end wall. I guess they laid out all of the units to not have windows in the bathrooms and they didn't bother changing it in the end units. I honestly don't care at all. They're just bathrooms - I don't spend more time in there than necessary.

Growing up in a regular house, both of our bathrooms had windows. I don't mind either way for bathrooms even though, generally, I'm always in favor of more windows in houses.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
My house is almost 50 years old and has a large window in the bathroom.
I don''t think I have ever seen a house without a bathroom window.
But I have lived in apartments that were configured that way and it didn''t bother me.
If you do decide to eliminate the wondow i would suggest being very careful about the lighting.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have two windows in the master bath, no windows in the second bath or powder room. If I have a choice, I prefer having a window so long as it doesn''t compromise privacy. Do you have an option of putting in a skylight?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
When we redid our bathroom I had the window covered over. I have three different types of lightinng and don''t miss it at all.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Our master bath has a window but well away from the showering area. I like it for applying makeup in natural lighting. Our second bath does not have a window and that doesn''t bother me at all.

A "very nice" master bath should have the ability to provide appropriate lighting for a lady getting ready. IMO, that lighting should be natural.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
A major resale no-no IMO.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Window? Yes, but it has that frosted privacy glass.
Our house was built in 1928.

I LOVE windows.
Can't have too many.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our home has 2 full baths, neither has a window and it does not bother us in the least.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like windows in the bathroom. We have a bank of 3 large windows and a skylight in one bathroom. I enjoy the natural light and love being able to open the windows. No windows in a bath would be a deal breaker for me.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
All of our bathrooms in have windows. If you are in a house [instead of a high rise or townhouse] I think it would be better to.

BTW, I have seen vanities positioned against a window wall with separate mirrors hanging where the window is not.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 9:32:16 PM
Author: kenny
Window? Yes, but it has that frosted privacy glass.
Our house was built in 1928.

I LOVE windows.
Can''t have too many.
I feel the same! All of the bathrooms at my place have windows, I think it''d bother me it they didn''t.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 8:54:10 PM
Author: rainwood
We have two windows in the master bath, no windows in the second bath or powder room. If I have a choice, I prefer having a window so long as it doesn''t compromise privacy. Do you have an option of putting in a skylight?
Not really. I could, but it wouldn''t be too practical on this house. I guess the biggest thing is that by taking out the windows, I''m able to make the bathroom much more open, and essentially more space. If I keep the windows, then I''m limited to where the sink/vanity goes, which would be like my old layout. Essentially, a bathroom that''s shaped like a hallway. My thoughts are that the openness may trump windows.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bathrooms in my house have windows - the lower part of the window has privacy glass - the upper parts are clear.

I really enjoy the natural light and being able to see the trees, sky, etc - and the privacy glass is high enough (none of my GF''s has ever commented).

Most houses in this part of the country has such windows in the houses. I don''t see it affecting resale at all (and might devalue the house if the windows did not exist).

Have a great day,

Perry

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
One of our bathrooms has a small window; the other two don''t have any. I rarely notice one way or another.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 11:00:10 PM
Author: MissMina
Would it be possible to put in smaller higher windows?
No, unfortunately not. I think a little transom window would be neat, but no way that it could work in this goofy bathroom. The house is old, and was not laid out the best. So my options aren''t ideal. The ceiling is only about 6''8, and the only wall that the window could be in, is fairly limited space-wise.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
yes we have a window in our bathroom, I would not buy a place with a "very nice bathroom" with no window both for light and ventilation purposes.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have windows in both bathrooms with frosted glass. I don''t know if a bathroom with no windows would be a deal breaker for me in purchasing a home, but I definitely notice and enjoy the natural light in my bathroom.

I think ALL bathrooms need windows. Perhaps you wont use it, but.. one day... there might be someone that NEEDS it.. stink wise... if you know what I mean.

I would not buy a house that didn''t have a bathroom window.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have a window (condo) and I HATE IT! Our bathroom always feels dark, even with all of our lights on.

In my parent''s house, two bathrooms have windows and two do not. However, all four have skylights. The powder room has no window, my dad''s bathroom has no window, but my bathroom and my mom''s bathroom have windows. The house I grew up in had windows in all of it''s bathrooms (1940s) and same for the second house we lived in (1980s).

It wouldn''t be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a big negative. It''s kind of sad, but I always get really excited when hotel rooms I stay in have windows. The last one we stayed in had a frosted window to the interior of the hotel room. Could something like that be an option? Something kind of decorative that would steal natural light from another room''s windows?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
While it wouldn''t stop me buying the house, I would have to factor in the cost of replacing the window. I couldn''t bear a bathroom without one, it would be something I''d re-instate before I even moved in.

A previous owner got rid of two of the five windows in out kitchen and I could see on the outside where it had been. I couldn''t rest easy at night until it was replaced.
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Our rental has only one bathroom without a window and I hate it. In addition to having a very dark, cave-like feel, the air circulation is horrible. We have had all kinds of mold & mildew problems, things never dry out all the way so our towels are always a little damp, etc. There is a fan that's supposed to help but it did almost nothing when it was working (we're waiting for the landlord to replace it with something that's not utter crap). I constantly wish there was even just a small window to pop open to air out the room.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
a little help w/drying out the bathroom-place a small fan on the outside of the br blowing air into the room-dont need a high setting just light enough or low setting to move air through the area-ull b surprised how the br will b dryer w/less possibility of mold or damp-works very well for me-my 2 cnts....

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
No window in the bathroom=definite deal breaker for me.

We have 3 full baths, only 1 has no window-it is our first floor bathroom and it always seems so dark and cave-like. The kids bathroom has a huge dormer window. We added on to the house about 5 years ago creating a master suite, and the builder had the bathroom layout without windows!! I demanded that it be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results