shape
carat
color
clarity

Doctors "firing" patients refusing to vaccinate their kids

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203315804577209230884246636.html?mod=rss_Health&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wsj%2Fxml%2Frss%2F3_7089+%28WSJ.com%3A+Health%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

More Doctors 'Fire' Vaccine Refusers

By SHIRLEY S. WANG

Pediatricians fed up with parents who refuse to vaccinate their children out of concern it can cause autism or other problems increasingly are "firing" such families from their practices, raising questions about a doctor's responsibility to these patients.

Medical associations don't recommend such patient bans, but the practice appears to be growing, according to vaccine researchers.

In a study of Connecticut pediatricians published last year, some 30% of 133 doctors said they had asked a family to leave their practice for vaccine refusal, and a recent survey of 909 Midwestern pediatricians found that 21% reported discharging families for the same reason.

By comparison, in 2001 and 2006 about 6% of physicians said they "routinely" stopped working with families due to parents' continued vaccine refusal and 16% "sometimes" dismissed them, according to surveys conducted then by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"There's more noise among pediatricians, more people willing to argue that it's OK to do this versus 10 years ago," said Douglas Diekema, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington in Seattle. Dr. Diekema wrote the AAP's policy on working with vaccine refusers, which recommends providers address the issue at repeated visits, but respect parents' wishes unless it puts a child at risk of significant harm.

Most pediatricians consider preventing disease through vaccines a primary goal of their job. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and AAP issue an annual recommended vaccination schedule, but some parents ask if their child's immunizations can be pushed back or skipped altogether, pediatricians say.

While rates for several key inoculations in young children rose between 2009 and 2010, according to the CDC, lower immunization rates have been blamed as a factor in U.S. outbreaks of whooping cough and measles in recent years.

Parents often voice concerns about autism or that their child's immune system may be overwhelmed by too many vaccines at once. Worries about a link between vaccines and autism arose because some parents noticed their children regressed, or lost some skills, around the time of their vaccinations at two years of age. Another concern centered on the former use of mercury as a vaccine preservative.

Numerous studies since have dispelled these concerns among scientists. Rather, scientists say, it is more likely that autism symptoms begin showing up around the same age children are vaccinated.

The rise in patient firings reflects another factor. As patients have become savvier and more willing to challenge doctors, physicians have become increasingly reluctant to deal with uncooperative patients, said Arthur Caplan, a bioethics professor at the University of Pennsylvania. In addition, doctors may feel financial pressure to see more patients and so have less time to contend with recalcitrant ones.

For Allan LaReau of Kalamazoo, Mich., and his 11 colleagues at Bronson Rambling Road Pediatrics, who chose in 2010 to stop working with vaccine-refusing families, a major factor was the concern that unimmunized children could pose a danger in the waiting room to infants or sick children who haven't yet been fully vaccinated.

In one case, an unvaccinated child came in with a high fever and Dr. LaReau feared the patient might have meningitis, a contagious, potentially deadly infection of the brain and spinal cord for which a vaccine commonly is given. "I lost a lot more sleep than I usually do" worrying about the situation, he said.

"You feel badly about losing a nice family from the practice," added Dr. LaReau, but families who refused to vaccinate their kids were told that "this is going to be a difficult relationship without this core part of pediatrics." Some families chose to go elsewhere while others agreed to have their kids inoculated.

Pediatricians disagree about what their duty is to these families. "The bottom line is you should try to do whatever you can to maintain the family in the best care," said Michael Brady, chair of the pediatrics department at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, and a member of the AAP's immunization committee. "If they leave your practice, they're probably going to gravitate toward another practice with unhealthy practices."

Other physicians say they rarely have had luck persuading vaccine opponents to change their minds.

David Fenner and his 20-plus colleagues at Children's Medical Group in Rhinebeck, N.Y., discuss vaccine concerns but ask families to leave if they don't comply by a certain point.

Dr. Fenner said he tells new families, "You've been bombarded with information before you came here, some accurate and some not." Iif a family refuses to vaccinate after a discussion of the issue, he tells them "there are so many things we're not going to see eye-to-eye on."

So far, the practice has fired a couple of families per year since it implemented the policy about five years ago.

Pamela Felice, who lives in an Atlanta suburb, had difficulty finding a pediatrician for her two children though they have waivers from a previous pediatrician exempting them from school requirements for immunizations. Her older child had gastrointestinal trouble and regressed development after receiving vaccines, she said, which she believes were related to the shots.

Ms. Felice received a letter from her pediatrician a few years ago stating that because the family chose not to vaccinate, it needed to find another doctor. She called four or five other practices but none would agree to an appointment after she told them she was opposed to vaccines. The family ended up with an elderly family doctor who said he had "seen it all" and was willing to treat the children if they got sick, Ms. Felice said.

"A doctor should feel obligated to discuss [potential vaccine] risks with any parent who wants to discuss them," said Ms. Felice.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Doctors "firing" patients refusing to vaccinate their ki

Kenny, that's really interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly!

It's just a weird concept to me because while I totally understand the doctor's perspective (they are instructed to do everything they can to improve the chances that each child will have a healthy life), I wonder what kind of precedent that sets? The big things that come to mind are patients that smoke, don't exercise, drink heavily, eat junk food, etc. I mean, you'll be hard-pressed to find a doctor that says it's okay to do any of those things, and I'd imagine that a doctor couldn't be aware that their patient is just going to leave their office to smoke and eat junk and not disagree with that decision, just as they disagree with not vaccinating children. Would they ever say "you know, I don't agree with smoking and maybe you should find another doctor that thinks it's okay?" Really interesting!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

30 years ago at my first visit to my dentist, whom I still see, he literally gave me a physical exam and drilled me in depth about anything that might affect my health.

At the end of it he shook my hand and congratulated me for passing the tests and being accepted into his practice.
He told me many "applicants" are turned away.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

I agree with these doctors wholeheartedly. They are acting in the best interests of the whole of their practices...and more so, society. These anti-vacc parents don't have a medical leg to stand on, and are IMO selfish and irresponsible. The only thing preventing their children from contracting deadly diseases (the ones microbiologists spent YEARS researching cures for) is herd immunity. They're unwilling to 'risk the health' of their own children by getting vaccs, but ride the immunized coattails of the rest of society. Ridiculous. When I worked at the children's hospital (instead of the adult one I'm currently in), I saw more than one child on their deathbed with a disease that would have been prevented if their anti-vacc parents had taken proper care of them. It was both sad and absolutely infuriating. :blackeye:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

And sonny, I consider this completely different to lifestyle choices that have effects limited to oneself. An unvaccinated child with a contagious illness in a waiting room, restaurant, theatre, grocery store puts all others around at risk - severe risk to the very young who haven't yet received their vaccines. Plus having more people able to be infected by lacking immunity opens the door of possibility of new mutations, resistance. To someone in the medical microbiology field, the situation is frightening.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

I read about this a few months ago. My initial reaction was that I wasn't sure how I felt, but I thought it might be a bit harsh for doctors to fire, or refuse to take on non-vaccinating patients. However, what do you do when you have a non-vaccinating patient in the waiting room with something contagious and then you have the cardiac baby whose vaccinations are delayed due to complex medical issues coming in at the same time. What will happen if that cardiac baby gets measles, Haemophilus influnzae, or any other number of infections? They already have enough challenges with all the things we DON'T have vaccines for.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Good for the doctors though they cant keep the parents from benignly neglecting their kids. My brother is such a parent and when he asked my mom to watch the kids for a few weeks so he could go to some hippie convention. Those kids got haircuts and vaccinated for the first time. His children benefit from the herd immunity of everyone else that's vaccinated but that declines as more parents opt against it. It makes me angry. Every day I see at least a dozen polio victims crawling on their hands and knees because such a simple and effective prophilaxis wasn't available to them. The US will see a rise in such preventable diseases if these negligent parents don't vaccinate.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

justginger|1330073767|3133156 said:
I agree with these doctors wholeheartedly. They are acting in the best interests of the whole of their practices...and more so, society. These anti-vacc parents don't have a medical leg to stand on, and are IMO selfish and irresponsible. The only thing preventing their children from contracting deadly diseases (the ones microbiologists spent YEARS researching cures for) is herd immunity. They're unwilling to 'risk the health' of their own children by getting vaccs, but ride the immunized coattails of the rest of society. Ridiculous. When I worked at the children's hospital (instead of the adult one I'm currently in), I saw more than one child on their deathbed with a disease that would have been prevented if their anti-vacc parents had taken proper care of them. It was both sad and absolutely infuriating. :blackeye:

Well said justginger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's an unfortunate situation as these parents are not only putting their own children at risk but so many others as well. I feel that after their doctors do the best they can to educate these parents if they are still unwilling then it is within the doctors rights to "fire" them.

This makes me angry as well because it is such an ignorant decision (IMO) not to vaccinate against certain diseases that have been eradicated for so long and now because of this decision on the parts of the parents these diseases just might (and have) return and put countless individuals at risk today and for future generations.

The doctors are only human and trying to do the best they can and they get vilified for it. As a doctor you can only educate your patients to the best of your ability and then the decision is theirs. But it should be your (the doctors) decision not to keep such a patient and their family in your practice. It's a 2 way street KWIM? If the patient has such a disregard for the doctor's knowledge and ability to keep their family healthy then why would they want to stay anyway? Find someone whose sensibilities mesh more with yours.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Another round of applause for JustGinger, and for these doctors. I have the sneaking suspicion that my pediatricians fall into their number: they have the most delightfully scathing open letter addressed to anti-vaccers posted in all their exam rooms; the words "selfish," "careless," and "frankly dangerous" are prominently featured.

Seriously, though - my son got sick for the first time before he was vaccinated. It was terrifying. Happily, it was nothing worse than a cold. If my practice was less responsible, and unvaccinated children were wandering around blithely depositing live virii everywhere? Could have been a lot worse. Brrr.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the Dr's. Along with the above reasons they are also protecting themsleves and their medical practice against future lawsuits.

Perry

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

I think there is a misguided belief that doctors have an obligation to give EVERYONE medical care, regardless of the physician's views. The paediatrician has the obligation to protect himself/his own children/ and all the other children in his waiting room. A parent has the right to refuse to vaccinate their children, similarly, the physician has the right to refuse to put other children at risk. It's a decision the parent makes, and they should accept the consequences of their actions. No where is it written that Doctors have to participate in decisions that they believe are dangerous to the patient and the society. It is not part of their job description.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock

My now 7-week old baby niece spent four days in the hospital with viral bronchitis a few weeks ago when she was just a month old. It was horrible. She could have died. If she had contracted whooping cough or something else because someone thought an out-of-date and now-disproven study was an excuse not to protect their child and everyone else's? :nono:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Scary, isn't it, QueenB? Our baby niece was also in PaedICU for the better part of a week, when she was less than a month old, battling what we presume was viral meningitis (couldn't actually get anything cultured or IDed from her CSF). If some of these anti-vax children had been sharing facilities, or one nurse forgot to wash her hands, a gorgeous life could have been snubbed out. :angryfire: It makes me very angry if I think about the situation too much, TBH.

edited: misspelling (per usual)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nearly all doctors agree that vaccination is very important, both to the child and the others around the child. If a patient has such little regard for the doctor's knowledge and is endangering others as well, then the doctor has every right to refuse to see them.

On a similar note, I have a lot of dangerous tools in my house. If someone was playing with them, I will tell them how to use it safety and warn them if they are doing something dangerous to themselves. But if they do something that is endangering to others (like the fool who mimed bonking a friend in the head with a ring mandrel that weighs a few pounds) will be asked to leave.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto every word! Well said.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

thing2of2|1330097273|3133307 said:

Ditto every word! Well said.

I totally agree.

To take it a step further, I have several children with autism and I never never blamed the vaccinations for it. There were many years when I had people (never medical professionals) but other parents, or misl people sticking their noses where it did not belong that blamed me for the autsim saying it was MY fault my kids had autism because I vaccinated them. I put up with a boatload of this crap but never ever doubted my decision to vaccinate.

I also think that people were lsting to and taking health advice from a playboy playmate who has no medical training but a big mouth and was a friend of Oprah. Jenny McCarthy. She spread a lot of ignorance on the topic of blaming vaccination for autism.

Now, it has come to light that the the "studies" that showed a link between autism and vacciantion were based on fradulent data!!!

Ahh, that was a big validation/vindication for me forall those in my life who said my children's autism was my fault for vaccinating.

I think parents turning down vaccination not only puts that one child in danger, but its proven it puts public health in danger.

I can't even imagine sending my kids to school unvaccinated!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think doctors firing patients is only a start, and it brings publicity but does not solve the problem.
Those kids will just go on to become disease incubators and infect other kids.

We have enacted laws to require use of seat belts, child car seats, and motorcycle helmets, these laws protect only the user, not society at large.
We also have anti-smoking laws to protect everyone from second hand smoke in the workplace.

Do we need laws to force parent's to vaccinate their kids?

This is a big one.
Parents really really want the right to make decisions about their kids, especially medical ones, especially when religious practices may be concerned . . . but does everyone's right to be free from preventable contagious deadly diseases trump their rights?
I think so.

I'm all for freedom, but would support legislation to take away parent's right to refuse vaccinations for their kids, even home schooled kids.
Send the cops out with a nurse to force it if necessary.
Sometimes a nanny state is a good thing.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1330102093|3133383 said:
We have enacted laws to require use of seat belts, child car seats, and motorcycle helmets, these laws protect only the user, not society at large.
We also have anti-smoking laws to protect everyone from second hand smoke in the workplace.

This is a big one.
Parents really really want the right to make decisions about their kids, especially medical ones, especially when religious practices may be concerned . . . but does everyone's right to be free from preventable contagious deadly diseases trump their rights?
I think so.

I'm all for freedom, but would support legislation to take away parent's right to refuse vaccinations for their kids, even home schooled kids.

Keny, where I live they won't let you enroll your kids in school without vaccinations. And if you can't afford to vaccinate they will provide free vaccination on site at the schools through the nurse.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

asscherisme|1330102520|3133388 said:
kenny|1330102093|3133383 said:

This is a big one.
I think so.

Keny, where I live they won't let you enroll your kids in school without vaccinations. And if you can't afford to vaccinate they will provide free vaccination on site at the schools through the nurse.

That's great, but what about home schooled kids or the wide variety of private schools?
I'm not going to paint all home schooling parents with the same wide brush, but some are anti-social control freaks.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Good question. I don't know about home schoolers and private schools. I totally agree with your view that its a public health issue.

I would imagine that homeschoolers would escape it and how would anyone tell anyway?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

asscherisme|1330102748|3133391 said:
Good question. I don't know about home schoolers and private schools. I totally agree with your view that its a public health issue.

I would imagine that homeschoolers would escape it and how would anyone tell anyway?

We need a national registry to keep track of every baby born in order to track vaccinations.
It won't be easy or cheap, but I think it's important.

poliohelp.jpg

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1330102928|3133394 said:

We need a national registry to keep track of every baby born in order to track vaccinations.

edited because you changed pictures.

Good idea on the registry. But I can't see it ever happening.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

asscherisme|1330103022|3133395 said:
kenny|1330102928|3133394 said:

Kenny how did you get a picture of the maternity ward where I had my kids?

Hahaha.
Okay I changed the pic. ;))

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

I have lived my entire life with the side effects, and have a myriad of heath problems that made it a miracle I even made it to adulthood, due to vaccines. Despite having an immune system and overall physiology irreparably damaged by vaccinations, I am still in support of giving children vaccines, but not until they are at an age where their bodies can handle them.

People like to think that vaccinating infants is harmless, but I stayed sick for the first 18 years of my life (bedridden for many of them) thanks to this 'harmless' practice. Guess those few who are a 'statistic don''t even bear mentioning as a cause for pausing and making an educated decision fully aware of the risks before taking the leap.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think they should "fire" patients who smoke and eat high cholesterol foods too. Those behaviors are risky as well, right?

Galateia, I'm sorry to hear. Hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1330107628|3133446 said:
I think they should "fire" patients who smoke and eat high cholesterol foods too. Those behaviors are risky as well, right?

Two major differences Laila.

One, having high cholesterol and smoking is something most commonly an issue with adults whose risky behaviors are affecting themselves. A doctor in this case can only advise. You can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink it. But by not vaccinating when necessary you are putting your child (and so many others) at risk.

Secondly, this type of behavior (except for secondhand smoke but that's a different topic for another day) doesn't affect the whole population. It affects the adult who is engaging in the poor eating, lifestyle and exercise habits.

You are looking at 2 ends of the spectrum in any case. You cannot logically compare one to the other. Not vaccinating your helpless to decide for themselves children is not the same as your decision to engage in poor lifestyle habits that affects primarily you.

Galateia, I'm sorry for what you went through...how awful!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Incredibly interesting and pertinent discussion.
I've actually referred to this many times in speaking with consumers about the dangers of the "facts" found online.

I'll admit that taking my young sons to get vaccinated was terrifying due to Jenny McCarthy, and Oprah raising this red flag.
Even though I knew what we had to do, and the reasons, introducing doubt about something like this is horrible for any parent.

Galateia- big hugs- and your post drives home the fact that nothing is 100% for sure.
I very much respect and admire your position, given what you've been through.

ETA- to the point about doctors "firing" those who smoke, or have dietary problems- the correct analogy would be a smoker who tells the doctor he's sure that the more he smokes, the better his lungs will be.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock

justginger|1330094265|3133271 said:
Scary, isn't it, QueenB? Our baby niece was also in PaedICU for the better part of a week, when she was less than a month old, battling what we presume was viral meningitis (couldn't actually get anything cultured or IDed from her CSF). If some of these anti-vax children had been sharing facilities, or one nurse forgot to wash her hands, a gorgeous life could have been snubbed out. :angryfire: It makes me very angry if I think about the situation too much, TBH.

edited: misspelling (per usual)

Ahhh, justginger, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope she's fine now. And, yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've spent hour researching vaccines, the different types, the ages, the benefits and potential harms that they could cause a child. When they first came out they weren't even given to pregnant women and young babies-but now that's a very common practice.

Due to the nature of this topic I don't feel comfortable sharing my beliefs on this since so many people have IMO very aggressive view points and stands and making claims that those who chose to not vaccinate are horrible and ignorant parents. While many of the studies that support vaccines are done by the companies themselves or off shots of the companies. Another thing to consider is that many of these things that have experienced a decrease in activity also has to do with more of the awareness of over all general hygiene and having clean water and a water treatment plan. Back in the day people just threw their crap out the window and onto the streets below spreading disease like wild-fire-which is now no longer a common practice.

If people chose to vaccinate their children should be safe-although recent outbreaks in Cali showed that out of the children who got it (I believe it was mumps or something like that) half had been vaccinated and the other half had not.

Many people chose to wait and space out the vaccinations. But claiming that the parents are ignorant and bad parents is just plain foolish. Everyone has the right to chose. We can't say a woman has a right to chose and then say parents have no right to chose for their children. My husband wasn't fully vaccinated and he is just fine and went to public school (although those laws may have changed since then). Many people for religious purposes chose not to vaccinate and I for one don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything that they don't agree with. Many studies have come out on different medication (not speaking of vaccines here) and other things and then you see all these law suites done with since they did damage to a huge number of people and now the lawyers are suing the company. Many girls who have gotten the gardasil vaccination (which btw I also got but had I done my research I wouldn't have) have had clots-nerve damage and quite a few have even died after receiving them. Now they are pushing for boys to also get the vaccine. I just did a quick google search and didn't verify the facts of the articles but I thought I'd link them for interesting reading.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/gardasil-hpv-vaccine-faces-safety-questions/story?id=8356717

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizations/a/0307_hpv_cntvsy.htm

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2011/12/proven-dangers-and-side-effects-of-gardasil-from-merck/

I myself was vaccinated as a child but that was because I was in the foster care system. Many parents have spent hours reading study after study-eating healthy and making sure their children aren't exposed to to much TV, sugars, get the proper amount of protein, and also chose not to vaccinate. Some chose to do so-I think every parent has a right to make an informed decision and every doctor has a right to chose to refuse the patient if that is what they feel is what is best for their practice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results