shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you look the part?

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Sort of a spin off inspired by Haven's post in the lifestyle thread.

Do you look/dress like someone who likes/wears diamonds and fine jewelry?

I don't think I do. I have a lot of tattoos, some of which are very visible. The one on my top left forearm is a pretty good size. I have piercings. If it were sunny all the time (like if I were home in San Diego) I'd wear flip flops. My dress is casual. I wear what's comfortable. With three young kids I don't have much time to dress up. No designer duds for me. I like Target and Old Navy. Sometimes shop at Lane Bryant and Avenue. Both DH and I drive Chevys.

I currently live in an upscale neighborhood in Atlanta. It's not uncommon to see large carat stones in my area. Everyone that I see wearing these large beauties also dress/look the part, so to speak. They drive nice vehicles and wear nice things. Hair all done up with makeup on. Can't remember the last time I wore makeup. I wear my hair in a bun or ponytail 95% of the time (and I spend a small fortune on hair products). I'm not really a girly girl.

In my circle of friends I'm the only one interested in non-maul diamonds and fine jewelry. I'm a diamond snob. I often hide my ring because it seems too flashy. No doubt most question if it's real or not.

So, do you fit the look/stereotype of someone that likes nice/quality diamonds and jewelry?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless working I almost dress/look like a bum and drive a low-end Honda.
Clothing is from thrift stores and my priority is comfort.

I'm sure a stranger would assume the rock is tacky fake bling from WalMart.
No biggie.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I probably don''t. I drive an older Taurus, never wear makeup or do much with my hair, and wear very casual clothes.

I had a Crossfire for awhile and I remember thinking, "Now my car matches my ring!" Hah.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Half my wardrobe is athletic UVA sweats.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
yes and no

No - because I look about 19, work for a non-profit, and don''t wear a ton of jewelry
Yes - because we live in a rich suburb, I''m always dressed neatly - 98% of the time I''m in skirts or dresses and I always wear makeup. I also own mostly designer shoes and carry designer handbags, also yes because of DH''s profession

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
PA-love the new AV, your ring is beautiful.

I'm pretty much a jeans and tee shirts kind of gal, or basic banana republic/AT/ON/Gap style for work clothes. My hair (when longer) is always in a ponytail and I drive a generic black base model Camry. Oh, and I live in dansko clogs in the winter and flip flops in the summer. I'd love to do heels every day but they kill my feet and I'm a klutz so I injure myself when wearing them a lot.

ETA: I rarely wear makeup. Only for special occasions, nights out or work functions.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know I don''t look the part.

Other than living on the North Shore of Chicago, everything else about the way I live and what I live *in* definitely does not scream "I LOVE DIAMONDS!"

I wear a lot of long, flowy sweaters and wide legged pants, very laid back clothing. I typically let my hair air dry, so it''s a giant mane of wavy frizz down to the middle of my back. I drive a Honda Civic, and live in a small ranch home. I do wear makeup but not a lot, just enough to make me look awake even though I''m not fully there until early afternoon most days. I rarely do my nails because we have chalk boards at school, so my hands are typically not manicured *and* extremely dry. Love that chalk.

I bet many people think my set is fake. Although, I''ve noticed that a lot of women in my area walk around in workout clothes during the day. Maybe I blend in more than I think I do?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
my car is unimpressive, but not quite raggedy. I usually leave the house with my hair unkempt or hidden under a bandana. I spend a lot of time at the dog park, or in post workout clothes, or sweats... so I usually look, um... very laid back and unassuming. Definitely not like a diamond lover. I''m not a label whore, not preppy, blingy or flashy, don''t drive expensive cars or anything that I would associate with ''diamonds''.
28.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Nope

We live in an affluent area but if I''m not at work, 99% of the time I''m in jeans and an old navy/ gap top. We drive a Hyundai Elantra and plus, we''re pretty young.

When we were checking out settings for my ring, we visited Quest Jewelers. The SA asked me about my centerstone and the convo went like this:

Me - It''s a one point three carat J VS2

SA - You mean one point zero three

Me - Ummm..No, I mean what I said - one point three

SA - Oh, okay. Do you have it with you?

(FI pulls out stone)

SA - This is an absolutely beautiful stone. Is it a family stone?

Me - No, we bought it.

I was a bit insulted at the time but now it just makes me laugh. She definitly lost our business.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I sure don''t. Really do not ( I just laughed out loud hehe )

Total hippie here... flower dresses, dansko shoes... I live in a normal neighborhood, and drive a used car. I don''t overstyle myself, minimal make-up, I have a visible tattoo on my right hand...
Most people probably don''t even notice the ring on my finger... I just don''t care :)

Absolutely not!

My dad says I''m going to get robbed if I wear my grandma''s ring (is it ok to call it mine now?) some of the places that I do. I always tell him that people probably think it''s fake and I''ll be fine. I mean, it''s not like I look homeless or anything.. I just prefer jeans and a T or a little nicer top. But, I must wear jeans I don''t like anything else. I used to have piercings and big stretched lobes but those are gone now. I still have the tattoos... for now. OH.. and I LOVE flip-flops. I know they are not classy and they remind me of high school and college but I''m anti-socks when I can be.

Sometimes, I wear my pearls with jeans and a T. I''m sure I look funny some times but I really don''t care.

I live in a "cool" area of town
2.gif
. There are multiple million dollar homes across the street and within a block of me, but further down the block (towards the city, not the lakes) there are apartment buildings. Some you can buy for the price of a house (the apartment not the building) and I believe some are just renters. It''s a HUGE mixture. We live in a condo that for the square footage of what you get in the area is huge. Point being, is that you really see everything where I live. Expensive cars, huge homes... but also apartments and bicycles. I don''t think most people think much of what I wear..

Is that an ok explanation?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I try to dress professionally for work - but I don''t have designer clothes or bags or shoes, I don''t wear makeup or have expensive haircuts/manicures etc. - and I take transit and don''t have a car. I''m don''t really think that I look the part! :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
At work, yes.

Any other time, no.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I would say no. Having 5 kids I keep it pretty casual. Jeans and T''s most of the time. Other than my diamonds the only place I spend money on myself is handbags.
20.gif
(but hubby really has no idea how much the ones I have cost) Besides for the most part my diamonds and handbags ALWAYS fit and make me feel good, unlike clothing.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Not really.
1.gif
I'm in black pants and nice tops at work, and jeans and Ts the rest of the time. My pieces are smaller than a lot of PSers, as I'm running on a limited budget, but I really do care about the quality. *shrug*

I've got nicer stuff than almost all of the women in my office, but it's not overly flashy, and I'm fairly certain most would think that my earrings etc. are fake.

ETA: I daydream about being one of those fabulously tailored women, always put together and stylish.

Aaaaaand back to reality. I'll just sit here in my jeans, sweater and little .25 tcw martini studs instead. With tennis shoes on. Scruffy ones.
9.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
given that I am only recently no longer a student - none of my friends have fancy jewelry apart from a couple of them who are engaged with nice rings - I don''t have an engagement ring, but I have a greater love of jewelry than they do :) I have a really limited budget too - so I''d rather have one really nice piece every few years, than a larger assortment of lower quality stuff.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:36:14 PM
Author: Maevie
given that I am only recently no longer a student - none of my friends have fancy jewelry apart from a couple of them who are engaged with nice rings - I don''t have an engagement ring, but I have a greater love of jewelry than they do :) I have a really limited budget too - so I''d rather have one really nice piece every few years, than a larger assortment of lower quality stuff.
Me too.
4.gif

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I dress fairly casually at home - jeans and tanks. Work is normally dress pants, and a twin set, but Ive gotten into the habit of wearing very little makeup to work, and my hair is 99.9% of the time up in a clip of some kind. I love it down, but waaaaaaaaaay too much work for everyday.
I drive an 08 Ford Focus - so nothing too special there even though I like it. People always seem to be very surprised at my jewelery collection.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
no, i don''t think i look the part at all.

i live in MD (around the DC metro area) and it''s common to see an expensive lifestyle around here...especially around the Potomac area. so when i think of someone who love/wears fine jewelry, i stereotypically think of the women who live there. i used to work at upscale jewelry store, and a lot of my clients were bored housewives who would drop ~$2k every time they came in. or their husbands who would buy them outrageous pieces for every single special occasion.

i''m very much like you, waxing lyrical. i too am the jewelry lover (snob) amongst my friends, but they understand since i basically grew up around jewelry. every once in a while i do like to dress up, but i''m pretty casual the majority of the time. i don''t indulge in designer handbags, clothing or shoes (love Old Navy and Target!). i do love makeup though, but they''re all drugstore brands. i only have one tattoo and multiple piercings, but they''re not all visible. i tend to spend money on good food, electronics and gadgets.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
After all these prior posts, it seems I am in the minority-- I do look the part.

FWIW, I do not think tattoos wholesale eliminate someone from looking the part; there is quite a range in what inksters can create. I myself am tattoo-free, but some tattoos I see coming out of WeHo are *extremely* artistic and reflect of many hours of dedication to an exacting pursuit of perfection-- and aren''t those the same traits which the most ardent jewelry-lovers often possess as well?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
It depends.

On the weekdays, I mostly wear jeans, fitted tees, and my dirty black converse chucks (or flip flops in the summer). I work in a lab and see no reason to dress up since I deal with chemicals and other nasty things. I wear a tiny bit of makeup on a daily basis. I also look young for my age so I often get mistaken as an undergraduate in the classes I teach. I do wear my e-ring, diamond huggies, and J12 watch daily so people probably think they are fake based on how I dress and how young I look. It''s probably better this way since there have been robberies on campus in the last few months!
20.gif

On the weekends or nights out, however, I enjoy wearing more fashion-forward outfits. I love fashion and trying out new trends but don''t really feel like I can do it at school. All of my bags, shoes, and "non-school" clothing is designer. FI and I usually go out to the upscale restaurants and lounges in our city and we shop at the high-end mall (I see a good amount of big bling there). I also dress up for FI''s firm events where all the wives are incredibly flashy and blingy.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Nope... country girl here through and through.

cayce

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:15:33 PM
Author: lucyandroger
Nope

We live in an affluent area but if I''m not at work, 99% of the time I''m in jeans and an old navy/ gap top. We drive a Hyundai Elantra and plus, we''re pretty young.

When we were checking out settings for my ring, we visited Quest Jewelers. The SA asked me about my centerstone and the convo went like this:

Me - It''s a one point three carat J VS2

SA - You mean one point zero three

Me - Ummm..No, I mean what I said - one point three

SA - Oh, okay. Do you have it with you?

(FI pulls out stone)

SA - This is an absolutely beautiful stone. Is it a family stone?

Me - No, we bought it.

I was a bit insulted at the time but now it just makes me laugh. She definitly lost our business.

I am really surprised to hear that, I am usually in sweats with no makeup and drive an 8 year old honda civic, but Pete and everyone else at Quest has always treated me like a celebrity. As a matter of fact, last time we went in (to pick up up a necklace that one of my dogs stole and chewed up that Pete repaired at no charge) my fiance and I looked like homeless people, we had been working out in the yard & decided to go out and grab some lunch while we were out went to pick up my necklace.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I think I may look the part, but it''s difficult to guess how I''m perceived by others. I like designer clothes and furniture and drive a BMW, but when I work from home I''m very casual. Then again, I really don''t wear much bling on a daily basis (my wedding set and diamond studs).

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I'd say I don't at all. I live in a Philadelphia suburb, drive a Mini, tend to wear flashier than average make up, and I'm very into accessorizing (with costume jewelry when we go out to bars/clubs and at work). I also have quite a few tattoos, and my fashion sense is very modern and trendy. Work style is on the casual end of business casual, usually flats or skechers (heels when I don't have a lot of community visits with clients) with slacks and a nice shirt.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do I look the part? Probably.

I''m a manager in a male dominated field, so I always look professional at work. Not dressed to the nines usually, but professional.

I was raised to wear my ''Sunday best'' on Sundays, so I wear a dress most Sundays.

If I''m in jeans in public, I''m usually still pulled together.

Now, I''m pretty ''department store brand'' average, so MAJOR BLING might look a little out of place - - but I can rock my rock!
9.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:06:46 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
PA-love the new AV, your ring is beautiful.

I''m pretty much a jeans and tee shirts kind of gal, or basic banana republic/AT/ON/Gap style for work clothes. My hair (when longer) is always in a ponytail and I drive a generic black base model Camry. Oh, and I live in dansko clogs in the winter and flip flops in the summer. I''d love to do heels every day but they kill my feet and I''m a klutz so I injure myself when wearing them a lot.

ETA: I rarely wear makeup. Only for special occasions, nights out or work functions.

Thanks! That''s very kind of you to say, I can''t wait to find my camera cord and take some better pics.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably look the part. First, I''m older so that always helps. I''m retired now but always dressed professional so even now that I wear jeans it''s still with heels and a nice top or sweater and I drive a higher end car. I have been known to wear a lot of flip flops in the summer though. What I have on has never stopped me wearing my jewelry. My philosophy is why have it if you''re not going to wear it? Although I do have to say that these days I have toned it down some.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, I think I''m too young and too much of a jeans and sandal-wearer to look the part
9.gif
10.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no i don''t...
i drive a 2001 Toyota truck,wear a $30 pair of sneakers,$25 pair of pants,$5 T shirts,but then i don''t have a $20k ring on my finger either.
39.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results