shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like short hair?

stci

Ideal_Rock
I mean really short hair for a woman? Do you have pictures of your short hair?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Totally depends on the person's bone structure! I have had short hair (chin-length) and I have had long hair (butt-length). I have a chubby round face, so short hair does NOT look good on me at all! My hair is currently very long - almost down to my belly button. Obviously when I'm older I won't be able to have long hair like this, but for now I'll avoid short hair with my chubby cheeks lol.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I've had both! I have short hair now and I LOVE it!

In college, I grew out my hair and then donated it to Locks of Love, which took me up to a short, feathery style. I kept it that way until I realized my then-BF was going to be my husband someday and I started growing out my hair for the wedding. Four days after our wedding I chopped off eight inches (enough to donate to Pantene's donation program) and then we jetted off on our honeymoon. It's been short ever since!

I present VC's hair timeline:

vc10um_hair.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I've had pixies in my life, and I've had hair to my butt.

Currently, I have a bob. Short in back, chin length in front, with layering for fullness.

Because I cut my hair myself, I keep it a length I can do myself.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not on me.
however, i've seen both older and younger women that look fab with short hair and i always compliment them on their hairdo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like short hair on some women.

I never like long hair on any man.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I periodically cut all my hair off and then grow it out again. I've had shortish and short-short hairstyles several times. Right now I'm growing it out since I'm getting married in April and will probably want some sort of elaborate hairstyle... I figure if I randomly decide I want my hair short, I can cut it off. I had it cut to a chin-length, angled bob right after we got engaged and I LOVED that haircut, but then had to start growing it out for the wedding.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I love short hair, and wish I can pull it off. I cut my hair to pixie length a few years ago, insisting to myself that I try it. I loved it for a few days, because I truly do love short hair on women. But it doesn't work well with my face. I have a hugeee, wide, angular, masculine jawline that needed long hair extensions to hide.

If I had a more feminine jawline, I would totally chop it all off again.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I just got a pixie cut yesterday morning a la Michelle Williams! I'd been growing it out for about a year and a half after cutting it quite short during pregnancy (not a good idea). I have always loved short hair on women -- I think it can look so chic and stylish and put together. I have had my hair short several times in my life, but I always feels very anxious before getting it cut. I'm not sure why since hair grows back and, frankly, I think short hair looks better on me as I have thick hair and a small face. Anyway, I decided to just take the plunge and I'm feeling 90% good about it. There's a little part of me that feels insecure, but my husband thinks this is THE haircut for me. So, in short, YES, I LOOOVE short hair on women.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I've tried short hair a few times, and I always really regret it. I look awful, and feel even worse. As a result, I will have long, long hair for the rest of my life. The shortest it will ever be again is just below my shoulders. It's currently mid-back.

On men, I think I prefer shorter hair, but there is the occasional man that looks really amazing with longer hair. Like, Chris Hemmingsworth as Thor. Or, whatshisface on The Real World San Diego.... Zach!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some women can pull it off, and others who cut off all their hair just add 10 years to their age. It really depends on the person. It's not for me, I know that much. I am very tall and would appear even taller with short hair. I also look very much like my mother, and when she went from long hair to very short at 40 it was like she aged 10 years overnight. No thanks.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think short hair looks great on some women! I unfortunately can't pull it off. The shortest I've ever gone was chin/jaw length. I look much better with shoulder length or longer. I've always loved Victoria Beckham's hair when she had the short bob, and Michelle William's cropped pixie.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... a thousand words ...

ah.png

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
My hair has two good lengths: chin length and shoulder length - both with longish layers. Anything other than that is a no-go.

I personally don't like short short hair or really long hair on either men or women. I really HATE the buzz cut on most men - most men and women who are not fashion models have rather ugly skulls and the buzz cut just exaggerates the ugliness in all of its ingloriousness.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I actually cannot stand it on women for the most part. I can think of literally 2 people that I think anything shorter than shoulder length is remotely attractive on.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great on some women. I have had every length and am addicted to ponytails so I never go above the shoulders since college. The right bone structure can totally pull it off.

Inimitable_D

Rough_Rock
I think short hair looks great on some women, but I'm not so sure that I'm one of them. I have had hair down to my thigh (in middle school), and I've had it cut into a very short bob (almost pixie length). I like to keep it somewhere in the middle, which is where it is now: not quite down to my bra strap in the back.

I just got married last week, and I definitely enjoyed having it long for my wedding. I have to admit though, over the past few days, I've had the urge to cut it shorter again. I've contemplated going to collarbone length, or even just a bit past my chin. I'm really afraid that I'll regret it again though, so I'll probably only do it if I have to (from heat styling damage, etc.).

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
stci|1348957421|3276617 said:

Yes if you've got the right head/face shape for it!

I used to have a pixy cut in high school but I got beaten up and someone accused me of being a transgendered man trying to pass for a woman. Gotta love the deep south.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ieatbugs|1349048217|3277076 said:

I used to have a pixy cut in high school but I got beaten up and someone accused me of being a transgendered man trying to pass for a woman. Gotta love the deep south.

:-o :nono: :errrr:

Some women look fabulous with super short hair! I don't need to try it to know that I'm not one of them though.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1348961279|3276638 said:
Totally depends on the person's bone structure! I have had short hair (chin-length) and I have had long hair (butt-length). I have a chubby round face, so short hair does NOT look good on me at all! My hair is currently very long - almost down to my belly button. Obviously when I'm older I won't be able to have long hair like this, but for now I'll avoid short hair with my chubby cheeks lol.

This! im exactly the same, round face so longer hair thins my face out. I can pull off a bob but only for the first week after its cut, after that i just look like bowling ball with a cheap wig on...

Ladies that rock the short hair need prominent cheekbones i think =)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
ieatbugs|1349048217|3277076 said:

Thats AWFUL!! And frankly, even if someone is transgendered, thats no excuse to harm someone for being who they are!

As for the original question. For myself I can't pull off short hair. I have tried several times and always regret it. However some women can pull it off. My aunt looks amazing in short hair, so does my neighbor. I'm a bit jealous. Seems so much easier. But for me its long or long/medium hair.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My mom loved telling me I had to cut my hair short when I turned 30. I have had hair touching my knees, and hair at chin length. Right now, its at the top of a 'mom jeans' waistband. I would like it to grow it out a little longer.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
reader|1349062648|3277197 said:
My mom loved telling me I had to cut my hair short when I turned 30. I have had hair touching my knees, and hair at chin length. Right now, its at the top of a 'mom jeans' waistband. I would like it to grow it out a little longer.

Why is it that women once they reach a certain age get pressured to cut their hair? My grandmother and aunt are horrified that I am over 40 and have long hair! And to make matters worse for them I have stopped coloring my hair a few months ago. Even though I have less white hair than I thought I would, it still highlights my dark hair.

So I am committing 2 sins in their eyes. I have hair a few inches past my shoulders AND I'm letting my hair show whites and not dying to cover that up. My 2 teenagers (who like my hair) think its really funny how my relatives are soooo concerned about my hair. Frankly my 95 year old grandma with her bright red dyed hair looks silly to them.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I don't color my hair either. The various men in my life give me guff about looking older than 38, but I remind them they had much more grey than I did at their age. One of my other former coworkers got dragged by her mom and aunt to the salon on her 30th birthday to get her new 'appropriate' cut. She is now 33 and has long, dyed black hair again.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
reader|1349063313|3277200 said:
I don't color my hair either. The various men in my life give me guff about looking older than 38, but I remind them they had much more grey than I did at their age. One of my other former coworkers got dragged by her mom and aunt to the salon on her 30th birthday to get her new 'appropriate' cut. She is now 33 and has long, dyed black hair again.

Deciding to stop coloring my hair has been surprisingly liberating! I was doing semi permanent and so thats all washed out since its been a few months and I have way less white than I expected for 44. Your coworker's mom and aunt sound like control freaks! I would never do that to my daughters no matter what I thought of their hair.

Good for you for not coloring and wearing your hair how you want. I did color for 5 years and dreaded going to the salon and that awful awful smell. I got my ends trimmed last week and it was soooo nice to be in and out in 1/3 the time with no chemicals. And my hairdresser was actually really supportive of my choice to not color. I thoght of all people she would pressure me to color and if she did I would have left her to find a new hairdresser. She was smart to not push it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1349032004|3276947 said:
... a thousand words ...

Kenny, I love Audrey Hepburn- she is the epitome of grace ands style and loveliness. And she does look stunning with the short do. But she looked stunning with any hairstyle that is for sure.
And I agree with you- I dislike long hair on all men and love short hair on some women.

I love love love short hairstyles on women when it works. So smart and sophisticated. In a way that no long hairstyle can ever be IMO.
I do not think my face would look good with a short hairdo and it has been over 25 years since I had one so I cannot imagine how it would look today on me. My dh loves long hair and would prefer I not cut it short and so far I have been OK with that but I sometimes dream of cutting it short. The real reason I don't is that I just don't think it would be flattering on me. But if I thought it would I would cut it all off in a New York minute! Such a pita sleeping with my long hair and it gets so tangled up in almost everything I do! :roll:
Though I do like wearing it back and also in a pony tail. That versatility is one big plus for me.

I think women should wear their hair exactly how they want to. Confidence is attractive no matter the style/length/color of one's hair. That quality always shines through!

ETA: vc10um- love your short do!

_27.png

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
missy|1349089470|3277260 said:
... a thousand words ...

Kenny, I love Audrey Hepburn- she is the epitome of grace ands style and loveliness. And she does look stunning with the short do. But she looked stunning with any hairstyle that is for sure.
And I agree with you- I dislike long hair on all men and love short hair on some women.

I love love love short hairstyles on women when it works. So smart and sophisticated. In a way that no long hairstyle can ever be IMO.
I do not think my face would look good with a short hairdo and it has been over 25 years since I had one so I cannot imagine how it would look today on me. My dh loves long hair and would prefer I not cut it short and so far I have been OK with that but I sometimes dream of cutting it short. The real reason I don't is that I just don't think it would be flattering on me. But if I thought it would I would cut it all off in a New York minute! Such a pita sleeping with my long hair and it gets so tangled up in almost everything I do! :roll:
Though I do like wearing it back and also in a pony tail. That versatility is one big plus for me.

I think women should wear their hair exactly how they want to. Confidence is attractive no matter the style/length/color of one's hair. That quality always shines through!

Awww, thanks missy! I feel like it brings out some sass in my personality that just doesn't come out when I'm rockin' long hair. Probably because when it's long I rarely bother to style it and most often just put it in a ponytail. :lol: And I also couldn't agree more about the confidence thing!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missy|1349089470|3277260 said:
... a thousand words ...

I agree that confidence is the most attractive thing. If a woman is confident, it shines through. Wear your hair how you are confident. And I admire women who can pull off short hair. I'm just not one of them!

Have you thought of sleeping with your hair in a loose braid? My hair does not tangle when I sleep but one of my daughters has thicker and longer hair than me and has that problem. She sleeps with it in a loose braid and in the morning no tangles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results