shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you go to a spa...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
in Boston, for those of you in the area? I''m having a heck of a time finding a job in massage therapy. You would think with all the stressed-out and repetitive injury people around, it would be easier. I finished school for it in fall of 2005 and I am licensed. It seems like everyone only wants people with one or even two years experience. I know I''m getting a late start- my dad passed five months before the end of school, so there was all the family stuff to deal with that year. Then last year I was planning my wedding, so I really didn''t want to plan and job hunt at the same time.

I''ve sent out my resume to eight places in the past two weeks and haven''t heard anything yet. Am I impatient or is this a bad sign?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! That must be incredibly frustrating for you.

I''m also a massage therapist and I''ve been doing this since 2000 but have been in the business for many years. Being a massage therapist is just the beginning, there are so many specialities in this field now with extra certifications or schools. Have you narrowed it down to the type of environment and clients you''d like to work with? I''ve always prefered "spa" work, especially since I got started in Las Vegas. Though I''m diverse in what I can do my specialties are actually structural intergration type bodywork, and pregnancy massage. It''s important that you know what kind of work you want to do, so that you enjoy it. I don''t like sports therapy over and over again.

I am the Lead massage therapist at the resort where I work. That translates into my being in charge of coming up with protocols for services on our menu, choosing products or product lines, hiring and training the therapist, making their schedules and being the liasion to the spa director who is not a therapist. It keeps me busy other than just doing massages.

Since we''re a resort we get resumes all the time but they stay active for a short period of time (30 days) so it''s good to reapply as needed. I''ve worked for 2 large desination resorts and one well known (regional) day spa. Unless one of the regular therapist quits it can be difficult to get into those jobs. Burnout is very high in this business especially in resort work, but it also pays the best and has the best benefits and the most regular hours or schedules.

A good place to get "experience" are doctors offices that do cosmetic procedures, chiropractors, and pain clinics. Anymore massage is available in nearly every "gym" or private fitness place. If you decide to do "outcall" then associate yourself with a well known Gym, Yoga, bodyworker or personal trainer. Maybe check out the busiest massage therapy places to see if there are small schedules you can work here and there to fill in for the regular therapist as needed. We don''t do this 24/7. I have a couple part time therapist that work as needed ("pool" status) for sick therapist, or when we have large groups in house. We have a couple that work odd shifts like every other Saturday morning, and 1 Sunday a month, etc. Otherwise we''re a ten treatment rooms spa (small for a large resort) with 13 fulltime therapist and about 5 part-timers. A few have outside jobs in other places too.

Keep sending out your resume but in this business getting a casual face to face helps too so target the places you want to work and ask to see the facility. Let them know you''re a massage therapist and that you''re looking into different enviroments to see what you''re options are. I actually got my first job that way at a 5 diamond resort.

Good luck and don''t get discouraged.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to add that sometimes working in the place where you want to do massage but in another position helps get your foot in the door. We have therapist that work the front desk, and as attendents in the lounge areas. These people get first opportunity when it comes to "filling" in or picking up available shifts.

Good luck in your search.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thank youso much for the input. While in school, I excelled at trigger point therapy and 90 minutes Swedish. Most of the doctor and chiropractor offices I''ve looked into want someone who already has experience. Love those catch-22''s. Plus Boston isn''t really a place for destination resorts, the closest to that would be the high end hotels. I talked to my former instructor via email a couple of days ago and she would be intersted in going in with me once I get an outcall client practice going.

It''s tough- it seems once again I''m in the wrong city to pursue a successful career, just like when I tried to show my portfolio for fashion design years ago.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I know a massage therapist who started part-time and then got in full-time at the spa at our local Hilton Hotel. It was a good, regular gig with salary and benefits. Seniority determined scheduling unless a client requested someone in particular or a massage therapist of a particular sex. His experience in the field was that most men and women want a female massage therapist.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be thrilled to get something part time right now.

It''s weird how so many still have so much discomfort receiving a massage from a man.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results