shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you flaunt your jewelry proudly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys...

I just got myself a nice ring, a 5.13CT yellow Lemony pear.
Believe it or not...
I find myself hiding my hand when I wear the ring when in front of
people. I guess I am not totally ready to explain myself.
" I have been saving for a long long time to buy this ring".
"Don''t you want to keep the money instead and buy a house? Something
more important than jewelry? Retirement?" Ugh............
I mean the economy sucks and I am sure people will perceive me
as a frivolous person.
I know I shouldnt care about what people think, and I usually don''t.
I bet you they all think its fake since I am a hippie clothed gal.
My car is a small little Smart car and I wear Dansko shoes.
I just dont know how to handle this ring yet lol. :)

How do you feel about your ering, watches etc... when you are out in
public? Do you feel safe?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I was on the train the other morning and i was getting ready to put my gloves on when i noticed someone looking at my e ring, i decided to leave my gloves off for a little longer.
2.gif

There are times when i am a little worried about it and i turn the diamond around to my palm so it looks like a plain band but most of the time i like it when people notice it.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always flaunt mine. People have no business asking you to explain yourself, and worrying about how they might react to jewelry, handbags, etc is a waste of time.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I often hide my hand. The "Oh my gosh, it''s so big!" comments bug me. I think I feel this way because I NEVER wear jewelry, I''m such a plain person fashion wise, and then I have a diamond that''s pretty large. I get self-conscious.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, we need pics of this beauty!
27.gif
36.gif
Second of all, I think it's really sweet that you are aware of how other people may feel. But the bottom line is, you saved and can afford it and made a responsible decision for yourself. Wear it with pride, you lucky duck!

ETA: Neverind- I just saw your pics in SMTR!!! Woweee! It is SOOOOO beautiful!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 8:45:35 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I often hide my hand. The ''Oh my gosh, it''s so big!'' comments bug me. I think I feel this way because I NEVER wear jewelry, I''m such a plain person fashion wise, and then I have a diamond that''s pretty large. I get self-conscious.
Ditto Elle.

When I''m somewhere that my ring is just average (like NYC or Connecticut) I don''t even think about it. But when I travel to rural places, I get self conscious because lots of people stare and make comments. I don''t wear a lot of jewelry and dress pretty plain, so it does make me feel uncomfortable when people stare and make comments like "That''s the biggest diamond I''ve ever seen!" I''m excited to get my wedding band because then I can just wear that when I travel.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
yes!!!
I cannot stand the look of disapproval! I mean to each its own, but sometimes, it gets tiring
trying to explain to people your love for diamonds/gems.
Took a while to explain it to my hubby and took him a while to understand it.

Most people just plainly dont. Most of them must assume that it is either fake, you came from money or
you married money. Folks on this forum work hard and reward themselves with jewelry, and for me,
that is a perfectly fine way to do so.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
If I had a 5+ ct lemony pear I would flaunt it! I can''t believe people would have the nerve to say something to your face! Rather than thinking you''re frivolous, they''ll probably just think you''re fabulous!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually don''t have flashy jewelery. My ering is a fairly modest 1ct. And that''s about as flashy as I''ll ever get with my jewelery. People only notice it when I''m in different countries where diamond erings aren''t the norm.

I''m not really comfortable buying expensive jewelery, mostly because I wear scrubs most days, lol. Also because I''d be too scared of damaging/losing/breaking it that I''d probably end up never wearing it out.

I have had people compliment me on my jade bangle and other random jewelery though, not so much because it''s flashy, but because it''s different. Which is how I like to think of myself most of the time
1.gif

I definitely don''t judge others based on jewelery though. I see a lot of younger girls with really expensive jewelery, I just admire it. Money is just a means to happiness, and if jewelery is your happiness, then go for it!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Shoot, if I had a 5ct beauty like yours you better believe I''d wear it proudly! IMO people talking smack are people who are either miserable, jealous, or just plain intrusive. So don''t bother caring what they think.

Unless it''s family, in which case you can tell them to ZIP IT
9.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy that ring. It is beautiful and you shouldn''t have to explain yourself.
You got a great deal and be proud of it. You also have an heirloom there!

We all place value on different things. To each their own, ya know.
My husband''s best friend cannot understand my love of diamonds.
He thinks a diamond is a diamond, just go to the mall (maul). So
for this guy traveling to NYC for a diamond is crazy. To me, his
vitamin intake is crazy!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 10:13:06 AM
Author: bebe
Enjoy that ring. It is beautiful and you shouldn''t have to explain yourself.
You got a great deal and be proud of it. You also have an heirloom there!

We all place value on different things. To each their own, ya know.
My husband''s best friend cannot understand my love of diamonds.
He thinks a diamond is a diamond, just go to the mall (maul). So
for this guy traveling to NYC for a diamond is crazy. To me, his
vitamin intake is crazy!
LOL!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I flaunt my jewelry! Like bebe said, different people place different value on things. I know personally what FI and I have and don''t have and if we were living in a cardboard box with no electricity, my diamond purchase would be silly. It''s nobody''s business, although I know people who make it theirs
20.gif

I saw the pics of your lemony pear-FLAUNT THAT BABY!
9.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 9:06:54 AM
Author: Amethyste
yes!!!
I cannot stand the look of disapproval! I mean to each its own, but sometimes, it gets tiring
trying to explain to people your love for diamonds/gems.
Took a while to explain it to my hubby and took him a while to understand it.

Most people just plainly dont. Most of them must assume that it is either fake, you came from money or
you married money. Folks on this forum work hard and reward themselves with jewelry, and for me,
that is a perfectly fine way to do so.
Hi Amethyste,

Your diamond is beyond beautiful and having worked hard for it, you truly do deserve to WEAR it proudly. I purposely used the word wear vs flaunt as I believe their is a big difference in the terminology.

Flaunt, in my mind, is what people do if they want to flash, or lord, or brag over others, that they own the world (or in your case a stunning diamond). I do not think that is your intent. You said in SMTR that you find it alluring to show this contrast of hippie chick clothes vs old world diamonds. The allure is in being quietly contradictive in who you are. You like to "confuse" the strangers around you.

My dad always says that the people that talk about how much money, jewels, etc they have really don''t have that much in the grand scheme of things. It is those that truly have the money or the jewels that don''t have to talk about it because people recognize they have those things without words. Those that dont'' have it flaunt it, those that do wear it with class and dignity.

Not knowing you, I love that image of you. Of you "wearing" your ring, knowing how hard you worked for it, knowing that if you needed to, because you have, spent your diamond fund on essentials, knowing that you are blessed to be where you are today.

So, please, for the sake of all of us that wear our smaller but equally loved diamonds with pride, be proud of your beauty and wear it in good health and happiness. You have worked to deserve it.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Whether you did come from money, came into money or married money it is no ones place to judge you. But you worked hard for your money and earned it so they definately have no right. Wear it proudly its gorgeous, you earned it and its yours!!!!

I wear mine proudly and it isn''t anywhere as big as yours!
I''m proud of what I have!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don''t care what other people think as I am not deliberately trying to make them feel uncomfortable, envious and so forth. I wear what I have with pride and dignity. I have a large ring and live in an area where diamonds are uncommon, I never flaunt what I have but I don''t let going against the norm deter me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2009 10:50:26 AM
Author: Lorelei
I really don''t care what other people think as I am not deliberately trying to make them feel uncomfortable, envious and so forth. I wear what I have with pride and dignity. I have a large ring and live in an area where diamonds are uncommon, I never flaunt what I have but I don''t let going against the norm deter me.
HI:

Ditto!

cheers--Sharon

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I never hide my e-ring and eternity band. I wear it proudly. I waited long enough to wear them
31.gif

Since I love them so much I love wearing them, I wear them proudly!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I have always worn my jewellery proudly, but not in an ''in your face'' kind of way.
36.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wear my jewelry proudly and happily, but with the exception of my e-ring, I''ve also always taken a bit of quiet glee in wearing the kind of pieces that only educated consumers will recognize, or recognize as real - pearl diamonds, chunky cabochons, baroque pearls, rare and unusual colored stones. It''s been "my little secret," you know?

At first, I *did* feel awkward about wearing the e-ring, and I think that was partially because, a) as a feminist, I initially had some mixed feelings about the signals it sent out, and b) because it was the one piece of jewelry that *everybody* looked for and had ideas about. It was much more a status thing than a taste thing, and on multiple levels.

I got over it, because at the end of the day, I care about my opinion more than I do anybody else''s, and it made me happy. Your ring - saving up for it, finding a great deal, looking so magnificent on your hand - must make you happy, and proud, yes? So rock it. Nobody else has the right to judge your financial decisions. They ought to follow your lead, and do what *they* like with the disposable income!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame....I happen to know you have the voice of an angel so why don''t you write a song to sing in response to folks who are crass about the ring? It would certainly turn their attention elsewhere
2.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Flaunt it! You should not have to explain yourself to anybody else... No need to feel bad. You saved the money, you wanted it, you bought it. Let''s see it!!!!
36.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''d wear that beauty proudly.
1.gif
I mean, I wouldn''t shove it in people''s faces, but there''s nothing wrong with wearing something you worked for and love!

The only time I consciously choose not to wear certain pieces is if I''m visiting friends that may be going through tough times. It seems rude to go in there blazing diamonds, so while I wear my ering and band, the earrings tend to get taken down a notch or two.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know the consensus is to wear it proudly and ignore what others think. However, I walk in your shoes too. I can’t help but feel self conscious so I remove my ring during big meetings (or hide them under the table) at work and when I go out, I only wear them to nice places.

5.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think it is natural to be self-conscious at first when you get a new piece that gets a lot of attention. However, you''ll get used to it
3.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on where I''m at. Normally I would say yes, I flaunt, but I found myself feeling exceptionally self-conscious the other day when I was in the unemployment office. I felt really out of place wearing my wedding rings and anniversary band, plus carrying a coach purse, lol. I told my husband the next time I go in there, I probably will just leave the ering and wedding band at home along with the coach purse!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your generous support.
I guess the word "flaunt" was not put in there in the right context.
I feel a little weird still wearing this ring.
But yes, I will wear it with pride!!!
Thank you all for the reassurance, it will take me a bit to get used
to it... It looks still so huge even after 3 days! i keep looking down
at it to make sure that the diamond is still in the setting! I am a little
over paranoid...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I wear my jewelry proudly! I have amassed quite the collection over the years. Most of my pieces are small and dainty (here they are), so generally they don''t get too many "OMG!" comments. I don''t think it would bother me though.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I understand why you feel the way you do, but I think you''ll feel a lot more comfortable with it when it''s not so new and you''re used to it.

I don''t ever feel the need to hide my ering in public (because while I love the size, it''s not all that huge!) except around my best friend. I''ve had my upgrade for months now and she still hasn''t seen it. I keep my hand fairly hidden around her because I don''t want her to notice. I feel bad because her diamond is half the size of my original and she commented on how mine was way bigger than hers when I got engaged (not in a mean way- she''s just always felt hers was small and has never liked her ring). She and her husband really struggle finanically and we have things that she wants but can''t afford already so I really don''t want her to feel bad when she sees my new ring. I felt guilty when I got my upgrade because I didn''t want to make her feel any worse about her situation or her ring which she already dislikes.

BTW- your new ring is gorgeous! Isn''t it nice to have a place like PS where you can show it off without any shame!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2009 12:49:13 PM
Author: Amethyste
Thank you all so much for your generous support.
I guess the word ''flaunt'' was not put in there in the right context.
I feel a little weird still wearing this ring.
But yes, I will wear it with pride!!!
Thank you all for the reassurance, it will take me a bit to get used
to it... It looks still so huge even after 3 days! i keep looking down
at it to make sure that the diamond is still in the setting! I am a little
over paranoid...
It will shrink Amethyste and feel as if it is part of you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results