shape
carat
color
clarity

Death sentence for Boston bomber.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I think he deserves 1000 times worse.
Death, in a way, is the easier way out, but I am all for it.
The alternative (option) in my head will make many of you hate me as it surprises even me on how sadistic I would be.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nope. Disagree completely. If you decide in advance to take someone's life away from him & to rob his family of someone they loved & needed, you should expect to pay the ultimate price: your own life. All who commit premeditated murder know they take this risk.

Merriam Webster Definition of Murder: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought. Execution after a jury trial according to long-established law -- especially in a case like this, where there is NO doubt who did it -- is not murder.

Whether execution of a killer is retribution or prevention does not matter, imo. It is such an evil act, the destruction of another person, that the murderer should no longer have the privilege of existing, himself.

Now, shall I tell you how I really feel about it? :roll:

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Kelinas and Laurie. Anything less is a travesty of justice IMO.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1391129206|3604600 said:
Nope. Disagree completely. If you decide in advance to take someone's life away from him & to rob his family of someone they loved & needed, you should expect to pay the ultimate price: your own life. All who commit premeditated murder know they take this risk.

Merriam Webster Definition of Murder: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought. Execution after a jury trial according to long-established law -- especially in a case like this, where there is NO doubt who did it -- is not murder.

Whether execution of a killer is retribution or prevention does not matter, imo. It is such an evil act, the destruction of another person, that the murderer should no longer have the privilege of existing, himself.

--- Laurie

+1111111

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

--- Laurie

Couldn't of said it better myself. :appl: for Laurie!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kelinas, I kinda am thinkin we'd be thinkin the same thinks here.

I am of the mind that one could do wonders with a butter knife, vinegar and duct tape. Maybe some toothpicks.

:saint:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1391129397|3604604 said:
Agree with Kelinas and Laurie. Anything less is a travesty of justice IMO.

+1

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
packrat|1391131155|3604630 said:
Kelinas, I kinda am thinkin we'd be thinkin the same thinks here.

I am of the mind that one could do wonders with a butter knife, vinegar and duct tape. Maybe some toothpicks.

:saint:

Rusted knife, salt, lemon juice, thread to stitch.
That's the nice version.

A bit of hydrochloric acid would be a plus too

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good. He doesn't deserve to live on this planet anymore.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

--- Laurie

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Yes, totally agree. It is so heinous a crime to murder another person, to snuff their life out like they are nothing. What Laurie wrote is exactly right IMO: they should not have the privilege of existing anymore. Sitting in jail the rest of his life is too good for him--he still gets to live a life and enjoy privileges, something he cruelly took away from his victims.

"State-sanctioned murder"?--nope, I don't think so.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a liberal Democrat on most issues and many of my friends abhor the death penalty, including a lawyer who fights against the death penalty...but I've always disagreed with them in cases such as this...He ~definitely~ should receive the death penalty. I think it is appropriate in heinous cases of mass murder and terrorism.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
...And death penalty for cases such as the Knoxville murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, the Manson Family, etc.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I go back and forth.

Do I have a problem with him being sentenced to death? No.

But I really wish he'd have to rot in a cell with pictures of the bleeding victims wallpapering his walls.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
In sentencing him to death, doesn't that make the state just as bad as the perpetrator?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm of two minds when it comes to the death penalty.

In the abstract, I believe in it wholeheartedly. I think once a human being chooses to do something that irrevocably alters another person's life for the worse to - I classify murder, torture, rape, and child abuse as fitting the bill, others may differ - they forfeit their right to keep operating among the rest of us. I don't believe in torture, for anyone, under any circumstances, because I think it just ****s up the people performing the act, but if the state called upon me to act as an executioner for, say, the priest who repeatedly molested a close friend when said friend was 6, leaving said friend with a lifelong trauma? It wouldn't really be a difficult decision.

Of course, in reality, I think our legal system is so massively biased and incompetent as to beggar recognition, and I wouldn't trust them to adjudicate on my behalf as regards parking violations, much less something as serious as taking another person's life. I mean, starting with the jury system ... let's select a jury of your peers [who don't read the news, or function in any field trained to understand the proceedings, that is]. So, no, looking at the statistics as regard race, class, and gender, I would not feel okay supporting the death penalty today.

Of course, I also don't feel comfortable with our penal system in general, where rape is apparently the "funny" part of paying one's debt to society and we give life sentences for drug possession. Sooooooooo ... while I think I would find it massively satisfying to watch the guy who thought it'd be grand to kill three people and dreadfully injure another three hundred die, I think it would support a problematic system, and maybe even compound the problem by glorifying him and making him a martyr.

These days, you know what I think more people find terrifying? Life in solitary. The "fame" of sudden death is apparently appealing to some. On the other hand, very few people want to follow in Charles Manson's footsteps ....

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was against capital punishment until they caught Timothy McVeigh. I couldn't imagine the pain it would cause his surviving victims, and the families of the people he murdered, for him to remain alive and well in some jail cell, taunting them with his very existence. That said, I don't feel as strongly about this guy, though I'll probably get there. His older brother... definitely would have supported death for him.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He deserves a bomb in his pants to suffer the way his victims did. He will get off easy with a lethal injection.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1391142808|3604762 said:
........... while I think I would find it massively satisfying to watch the guy who thought it'd be grand to kill three people and dreadfully injure another three hundred die, I think it would support a problematic system, and maybe even compound the problem by glorifying him and making him a martyr.

These days, you know what I think more people find terrifying? Life in solitary. The "fame" of sudden death is apparently appealing to some. On the other hand, very few people want to follow in Charles Manson's footsteps ....

I agree.
I know that life in solitary terrifies me and I'm old, not young with a lot of years in front of me.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1391144843|3604778 said:
He deserves a bomb in his pants to suffer the way his victims did. He will get off easy with a lethal injection.

True. I'm not against the death penalty if the crime can be proven and it's especially terrible. if he doesn't get the death penalty he'll at least be stuck in prison for the rest of his life.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly believe the sentence is just in this case. There is no question about his involvement in the crime. Just because the system doesn't always work as it should does not mean we just ignore all the crimes where things are done correctly and there is zero doubt that the right person is being held accountable.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally against the death penalty, myself. It's not up to us.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The state should execute him within 72 hrs :!:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1391148764|3604810 said:

Yeah, seriously.

He won't actually be executed until like 15 years from now. Too bad he cruelly denied his victims another 15 years to live.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1391149117|3604815 said:

Yeah, seriously.

He won't actually be executed until like 15 years from now. Too bad he cruelly denied his victims another 15 years to live.
Yup, going to cost taxpayers more $$$ to keep him alive for the next 15 yrs or more... :angryfire:

krisjon

Shiny_Rock
Terrorists have no mercy on innocent people, why should society have any on them?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'm against the death penalty. I hope the countries that have it move towards getting rid of it in the future.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1391149993|3604821 said:
Laila619|1391149117|3604815 said:

Yeah, seriously.

Yup, going to cost taxpayers more $$$ to keep him alive for the next 15 yrs or more... :angryfire:

I once was in a lecture that taught 'critical thinking' - one of our researched and discussed issues was the death penalty. Turns out, ignoring all morality and only examining the issue from a purely financial position, giving someone the death penalty is far more expensive than life. The court costs of exhausting all appeals, which they all seem to do, is something like three times the cost of 'room and board' for 50ish years. So people who support the death penalty on the basis that they don't wish to waste money on feeding monsters...well, that's actually the route of least expense.

I have no opinion on this particular individual. My opinion on the death penalty fluctuates based on the evidence of the crime.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1391147710|3604803 said:
I certainly believe the sentence is just in this case. There is no question about his involvement in the crime. Just because the system doesn't always work as it should does not mean we just ignore all the crimes where things are done correctly and there is zero doubt that the right person is being held accountable.

Exactly. Sure the justice system is far from perfect -and what country's system is perfect-just look at Italy. Talk about imperfect and corrupt. BUT, in this case it is clear who the perpetrator(s) is and the heinous crime that was committed. There is no other just sentence IMO.

Think of the families that are affected and suffering. Missing their loved ones who were taken too soon. Lives snuffed out without realizing their full potential. Children that will never be born now. Heartbreaking and final. This man and his brother gave no thought or care to the innocent lives they were taking forever gone. He has nothing to offer to society and in fact is a danger to society.

Who cares if it is more $$$$ for the death penalty (which it is because of the appeal process etc). Doesn't matter because in this case the heinousness of the crime far outweighs any moral objection I might have to the death penalty. When used judiciously it is the right decision IMO. Of course there are many times I do not support the death penalty but this case is not one of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results