shape
carat
color
clarity

College: What Major/option should I change to?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Right now, I am a Business Admin major with an option in Finance. I am taking my first real Finance class right now and hate it.
38.gif

So I was thinking of changing my option to something different doesn''t involve as much math. I am not bad at math. I am just not the best at it. Never got the A in high school or college just the B. So I have shorten the list to those following:

Option in Management
Option in Marketing Management
Option in Human Resources Management

Which one would give me a better career? Should I go with the bigger picture: Management or narrow it down to mkt mgmt or hr mgmt ?

BTW I am also going to get a minor in Economic...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Around here, I see sooooo many openings in HR. I don''t know what it would be like for a career, but it seems like the odds of finding a job are high.

Do you tend to be outgoing/creative? Maybe marketing would be a better fit for you.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should talk to a career counselor at your college. Ask about the different jobs graduates of each major have landed in the past, and then research those jobs to see which best suits you.

Good luck!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I was just wondering what year you are? Is this something you need to decide soon, or can you explore all of the options before choosing? Picking a major is sooo hard, I changed my major several times throughout college and if I could do it over again, I''d probably pick something different. Good luck deciding!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
;-) Haven and Purselover gave you much better advice.

Who do you know in the business field/who can put you in touch with folks who majored in these things? One of the best things I did early on was job-shadow. It only takes a day, you gain SO much insight, and you can potentially make awesome connections that way.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 9:28:20 PM
Author: purselover
Hi, I was just wondering what year you are? Is this something you need to decide soon, or can you explore all of the options before choosing? Picking a major is sooo hard, I changed my major several times throughout college and if I could do it over again, I''d probably pick something different. Good luck deciding!

I am in the beginning of my junior year, so I have make a decision soon...

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
My advice would be, if you aren''t sure, keep your options open and go with the general management. Even if you graduate and decide you REALLY want to do HR, I don''t think you''ll seriously regret not having the "option" on your degree...I know plenty of HR folks who were english, or history, or other majors. BUT, if you put HR on there, you risk pigeonholing yourself into those HR type roles.

I think econ is also something great to have on there. Or, if you can, something even more non-business related that you''re passionate about or really interested in. Nothing wrong with being a business major with a minor in french or history or anthropology. I recruit and interview lots of folks coming out of undergrad into the business world each year. To me, HR or Marketing would scream "too specialized!" for someone of your tenure. I''d much rather talk to a potential recruit about a great study abroad trip they took or something else more interesting on their resume.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
I was leaning for HR but since I am starting so late, my schedule would be pretty tight. There are also some classes that are only offer once a year. I was looking at the Winter Class Schedule, the two classes I must take for HR are at the same time and only offer once a year. I have no idea why the professors did THAT!!!

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 10:04:11 PM
Author: rockzilla
My advice would be, if you aren''t sure, keep your options open and go with the general management. Even if you graduate and decide you REALLY want to do HR, I don''t think you''ll seriously regret not having the ''option'' on your degree...I know plenty of HR folks who were english, or history, or other majors. BUT, if you put HR on there, you risk pigeonholing yourself into those HR type roles.

I think econ is also something great to have on there. Or, if you can, something even more non-business related that you''re passionate about or really interested in. Nothing wrong with being a business major with a minor in french or history or anthropology. I recruit and interview lots of folks coming out of undergrad into the business world each year. To me, HR or Marketing would scream ''too specialized!'' for someone of your tenure. I''d much rather talk to a potential recruit about a great study abroad trip they took or something else more interesting on their resume.

An option in Management will likely have me more leeway. I think I will go to talk to the Management Undergrad Adviser if I can do Management but also take some HR classes....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results