shape
carat
color
clarity

canadian reactions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I admit it, I''m really, really bored. That being said, there''s something about this whole diamond-buying experience which really seems odd to me.

My SO and I have this little quirk. See, he''s Canadian, and we both think DeBeers is really annoying. So we''d rather throw our money into a Canadian diamond. Who knows, we might even end up throwing our money into a Canadian house (but that''s a bit down the road... after we finish our PhDs).

So every single jeweler we''ve gone to, we go through the whole thing, where they have these very interesting an amorphous definitons of idea, and they show us some diamonds and some settings... and we end up picking the same basic sort of setting every time. Then we say that we''re interested in a Canadian diamond, or at least something that isn''t from DeBeers. You''d think we were asking for a Gemesis diamond (which we also have done, and have learned not to do, after the LITERALLY screaming rant by a certain Pittsburgh jeweler). At worst, patronizing assurances that we don''t really care about that, and that we don''t care about the Canadian thing, and DeBeers is just fine and dandy. At best, it''s like shifting from 4th gear directly to 1st on the highway. Thud.

Now, I understand this is a strange little personal thing we have. My SO really wants something on my finger that really has something to do with him (other than us picking it out together and paying for it together)... since we''ve ruled out the geeky super-modern sorts of rings (since they are so not my taste it''s not even funny), and decided that yellow just isn''t really my colour, and discovered that you can''t buy lab-grown blue or green, we''re left with The Canadian Option. To us, it''s meaningful. Then again, we''re somewhat odd. It makes us happy, at least.
1.gif

What I''m wondering is if there might be some better way to handle this sort of thing... Like saying "let me see if I can find that for you" and asking whoever it is that''s hanging out in the back if that''s possible. Perhaps they''d simply rather not deal with me, but even when faced with the offer of a premium, they''re just too thrown off to consider it. In any case, I thought the whole thing was somewhat interesting.

(I should note the exception I''ve gotten thus far -- when I asked about Canadian diamonds on this board, I got a response from R/T at NiceIce saying that they could in fact obtain such a thing for me, even if their web site expresses their opinion that my SO and I are slightly insane. We are, of course, and we freely admit it.)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's interesting. Have you tried just going to stores that advertise Canadian diamonds?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't seen such an animal... do they exist? At least they don't seem to exist in Pittsburgh, which probably isn't too surprising, but I haven't seen any B&M stores advertise it even in the SF Bay Area (where I am for the summer).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both lab and Canadian diamonds are to be found happily online. At least there is no shortage of "CanadianTM" (there are a few brands, not just one). If no local shop has them and you just want a farely straightforward setting... why not get them online?
rolleyes.gif

It is less straightforward to obtain a pink or blue Takara diamond (LINK) but if you ask them, it may work.

BTW: that's not at all unusual to want some gem of your country - many do, so some gems get promoted for representing their location: Benitoite is the classic culprit, then Montana sapphires and, of course, all those US "official state gems". It works for Romanian amber and amethyst too
2.gif

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
I know you posted previously that you want to buy from a jeweler, but at least one Pricescope vendor offers exclusively Canadian diamonds...NiceIce. I don't know about the others, but I'm sure many of them are going with this trend also. I'm sure if you spoke with them they could work something out where they sent two or three stones to an independent appraiser for you to check out in person.

Edited to add: Just reread your original post, sorry I told you something you already know!
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I pass by NYC's Fortunoff during my work wk lunch break & they had a sign in the window claiming that they sell canadian diamonds...

Alternately, there's a store locator form on this website for Canadia brand diamonds:
http://www.canadia.com/new/index.html

We were considering a Canadian diamond for reasons similar to your own but we had trouble finding the right size & shape & their prices seemed higher (maybe due to import taxes?).

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Superidealist posted this website in response to another question but they sell Canadian diamonds too:

click here

Good luck
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The three Bay Area stores I know of that carry Canadian diamonds are Derco, Cresalia Jewelers, and Edelweiss Jewelers in Berkley or Oakland (who takes out ads proclaiming their superiority to "blood diamonds"). I know there must be plenty of others but these are the ones I'm aware of.

hannah

Rough_Rock
This company is based out of Vancouver BC.
Prices on their website are listed in Canadian funds.

http://www.canadadiamonds.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results