shape
carat
color
clarity

Canada Customs HELL!!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
This is a rant/warning to any Canadians trying to get diamonds into Canada, particularly Calgary.

I managed to chip one of the diamonds in my Signed Pieces e-ring, which my FI bought last summer. When he bought it last summer, we paid the $200 duty based on the full value of the ring.

I decided it was best to have the repair done by Signed Pieces, so off it goes. SP does a quick repair, replacing the one diamond, and sends it back via FedEx. It arrives in Calgary Customs on April 16. And there it sits.

They have denied my import application, AFTER charging me another $200 for import duty - they base the duty not on the value of the work done in the trip ($160 in this case), but on the entire value of the ring.

So here is my warning:

- avoid the Calgary customs office for import of diamonds/jewellery. My FedEx Agent (Steve, we are very close now....) tells me that Calgary is being very very tough on jewellry. Ship through Vancouver or Toronto.
- be cautious of doing repairs in the US, cause you will basically get to pay full duty again. Steve tells me that we can apply to waive the duty on the second "import", but I am sure it going to be a giant pain in the ass.

Rant complete.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LC that really sucks, I''m sorry.

Haven''t seen you around in awhile, how are things going? How''s the little man?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Hey - I''ve been soooo busy that I haven''t been PS''ing.

My little man is awesome - turning 4 in June. Can''t believe it. My big man is great too - we finally have divorce proceedings underway with my ex, so we are looking at getting married in the fall. Yahh!!!

How are things on PS - I need an update thread! LOL

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Litigator Chick

Did you send your ring back to SP with two copies of Canadian Government Export Declaration Form? And did you get it stamped at the Customs Office with a red numerical stamp? Did you also include a copy of the original receipt from SP, original customs duty paperwork. And lastly, did you state on the form that this ring was now a "Product of Canada" that was going out for repair?

If you did all of this and they still charged you duty on the whole ring then I agree, it''s a bit steep.

I did everything I just stated when I sent my tourmaline to Ocean Pearlman in Tucson just in case it had to be sent back without being set (which in the end it did).

Calgary Customs didn''t charge me a penny.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Why am I not surprised? Last time I bought jewellery, I got the same story "tougher" in Calgary.......

I considered sending some of my Estate pieces to D Atlas to see if they would take them to sell, but was afraid I could get charged duty on my own property should they not be interested and send them back to me.... I guess I need to follow Gailey''s advice.....

Hope all is well.

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Sharon, maybe include some pictures of them taken against a backdrop of Lake Louise, just for added "Canadianness".

I think the reason my transaction was so water-tight was because I phoned Customs beforehand and asked them to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

If you do decide to send stuff off to Dave, I would phone Customs as well, just in case any rules have changed.

I think if I was sending an actual piece of jewellery to the US, I would also enclose a recent appraisal from IGL. The more paperwork, the better.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2010 4:25:46 PM
Author: Gailey
Sharon, maybe include some pictures of them taken against a backdrop of Lake Louise, just for added ''Canadianness''.

I think the reason my transaction was so water-tight was because I phoned Customs beforehand and asked them to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

If you do decide to send stuff off to Dave, I would phone Customs as well, just in case any rules have changed.

I think if I was sending an actual piece of jewellery to the US, I would also enclose a recent appraisal from IGL. The more paperwork, the better.
HI:

Great idea! Eh!

cheers--Sharon

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not had any troubles in Ontario or BC!

Did you send the package "return for repair under warranty"? When I have done this and then imported it back there was no issue at all.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, I didn''t take those steps. I expect reasonableness and common sense, and not utter stupidity.

I did declare this as a repair - I was very open and forthright throughout this process.

I also wrote SP to inform them of this mess, so they can warn other customers.

It is a stupid money grab, plain and simple.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 3:46:22 PM
Author:LitigatorChick
This is a rant/warning to any Canadians trying to get diamonds into Canada, particularly Calgary.

I managed to chip one of the diamonds in my Signed Pieces e-ring, which my FI bought last summer. When he bought it last summer, we paid the $200 duty based on the full value of the ring.

I decided it was best to have the repair done by Signed Pieces, so off it goes. SP does a quick repair, replacing the one diamond, and sends it back via FedEx. It arrives in Calgary Customs on April 16. And there it sits.

They have denied my import application, AFTER charging me another $200 for import duty - they base the duty not on the value of the work done in the trip ($160 in this case), but on the entire value of the ring.

So here is my warning:

- avoid the Calgary customs office for import of diamonds/jewellery. My FedEx Agent (Steve, we are very close now....) tells me that Calgary is being very very tough on jewellry. Ship through Vancouver or Toronto.

- be cautious of doing repairs in the US, cause you will basically get to pay full duty again. Steve tells me that we can apply to waive the duty on the second 'import', but I am sure it going to be a giant pain in the ass.

Rant complete.

I just dealt with Steve too on a jewelery import! He was a very friendly fellow. Had a clue about what I was talking about when I described my items too (I just rattled off they were 2 pointers and so on and he knew what I meant and he asked about clarity, blah blah). I am down in Lethbridge but of course things come through Calgary.

Do you have all your documents from the original import? You should be able to claim it back somehow. Even if it is a pain in the ass.

I do agree overall Canada Customs is a hassle though. And it does deter me from sending items back to the US for repair or sizing or anything even when those things are FREE with the original vendor and EVEN if going to someone local voids the lifetime warranty. When you add the Customs duties and taxes onto the cost of shipping from here there (Canada Post and such screw you over on insurance, and so on, in my opinion so that the cost is astronomical to send) it just does not make financial sense.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Steve from FedEx just called to apologize that he can''t work on this today - he has a massive shipnment of horse semen to process. Hilarious!!! Steve has quite the job. LOL!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Gailey said, you need to have the proof of export form signed and included. Plus, send it registered and insure for the amount, then save the receipt. Photographs for proof also help.

I've sent and received several things to the US and never had any issues. I've only had to show proof of shipping receipt once. Maybe laws are stricter in Calgary, alhough it sounds like you didnt do your homework before sending it off.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 4:50:52 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
Gailey, I didn't take those steps. I expect reasonableness and common sense, and not utter stupidity.

I did declare this as a repair - I was very open and forthright throughout this process.

I also wrote SP to inform them of this mess, so they can warn other customers.

It is a stupid money grab, plain and simple.
I'm almost loathe to respond to you LC, because I can tell you are absolutely hopping mad, but I think your comment highlighted above is the crux of your issue. You expected "reasonableness and common sense" and Canada Customs expected the correct paperwork.

The lady I spoke to in person at the Customs Office in Calgary prior to shipping was quite adamant that I needed this form and said that to ensure that the goods were returned with this form in it's original state, i.e. with the red numerical stamp, because otherwise duty would be payable - no if's or buts. Rules are rules (that's wht she told me).

Sorry you've had this hassle and expense. Better luck next time.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 4:52:20 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
OMG! Steve from FedEx just called to apologize that he can''t work on this today - he has a massive shipnment of horse semen to process. Hilarious!!! Steve has quite the job. LOL!
I bet Steve (I''m sure he was my guy too btw), is thankful he is just processing the paperwork, rather than having to harvest the sample. I mean, do they have a machine for that or .........

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 4:52:16 PM
Author: RaiKai

I just dealt with Steve too on a jewelery import! He was a very friendly fellow. Had a clue about what I was talking about when I described my items too (I just rattled off they were 2 pointers and so on and he knew what I meant and he asked about clarity, blah blah). I am down in Lethbridge but of course things come through Calgary.

Do you have all your documents from the original import? You should be able to claim it back somehow. Even if it is a pain in the ass.

I do agree overall Canada Customs is a hassle though. And it does deter me from sending items back to the US for repair or sizing or anything even when those things are FREE with the original vendor and EVEN if going to someone local voids the lifetime warranty. When you add the Customs duties and taxes onto the cost of shipping from here there (Canada Post and such screw you over on insurance, and so on, in my opinion so that the cost is astronomical to send) it just does not make financial sense.
Hey there RaiKai

How goes it in Lethbridge? You guys down there mowing lawns yet?

I agree with everything you said in your last paragraph - wholeheartedly. So much so that I am strongly thingking about giving Dmitri Vtornikov a try out. He was recommended to me by Ron at IGL.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OMG I just went through this last week with my Bev K ring. I had to pay for the whole thing too, not just the new setting. I worked with Steve too!

So ditto, do not use Calgary customs, it took me 7 days to get my overnight package.

The kicker, I have to send it back to fix the milgrain
32.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 6:13:39 PM
Author: Gailey
Date: 4/27/2010 4:52:16 PM

Author: RaiKai

Hey there RaiKai

How goes it in Lethbridge? You guys down there mowing lawns yet?

I agree with everything you said in your last paragraph - wholeheartedly. So much so that I am strongly thingking about giving Dmitri Vtornikov a try out. He was recommended to me by Ron at IGL.

DH mowed ours just before the weekend! It was already getting really long. It's been rainy and cold last few days...but none of the sleet/snow up in and around Calgary!

This has been my first almost-full year living here and while the weather can be a bit weird (i.e. 3 feet of snow one day, a Chinook melting it all the next) sure beats Winnipeg/Manitoba weather!

Thanks for the link...I will definitely be looking into it. I go up to Calgary often enough that its not a big deal. There are a couple good local independents around here too though in my experience they are not in a hurry to get anything done (been waiting over a week to have my rings sized!).

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 6:19:57 PM
Author: shimmer
OMG I just went through this last week with my Bev K ring. I had to pay for the whole thing too, not just the new setting. I worked with Steve too!

So ditto, do not use Calgary customs, it took me 7 days to get my overnight package.

The kicker, I have to send it back to fix the milgrain
32.gif

Ha, I know. I always have to explain to US vendors that overnight does NOT mean overnight to here. It just does not!

Imagine the stress when we ordered the wedding bands from the US, being told we would get them at least a week ahead of time, and we got them in the HOUR before we left for the airport for our wedding. I told the vendor a few times they NEEDED to get them out at least a couple weeks ahead despite their conviction that it would take no longer than two days. They spent NINE DAYS in customs!

We were thinking we would need to use twist ties for our ceremony!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rai-that''s crazy! I have definitely learned a lot of patience with waiting for my US jewelry orders.

I''ll be moving to attend UofL this fall
3.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 6:47:32 PM
Author: shimmer
Rai-that''s crazy! I have definitely learned a lot of patience with waiting for my US jewelry orders.

I''ll be moving to attend UofL this fall
3.gif

Exciting! We really enjoy it down and around here. It has its quirks but we have settled in nicely! Hopefully you find it to be a good fit too - at least while in school.

UofL is spoken highly of too. DH went there for a semester and they really do provide a good learning environment...very focused on the students which they can be as it is a smaller campus. What are you taking?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
*Continue threadjack*

Rai-that is what I have heard about it too, apparently the 3rd year classes have an average of less than 20 students! So I decided that is such an excellent opportunity, especially with all the labs I will be taking (Biochemistry, entering 3rd year).

*End threadjack* sorry
1.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
hmm. I just bought diamond studs from BGD recently (at the end of January) and I live in Calgary and I had no issues at all. It''s a luck of the draw kind of thing with customs I think.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 9:13:18 PM
Author: Maevie
hmm. I just bought diamond studs from BGD recently (at the end of January) and I live in Calgary and I had no issues at all. It''s a luck of the draw kind of thing with customs I think.
Maevie, we are talking about two different kinds of Customs transactions here.

What LC did and I (sorta) did was to send an item of jewellery into the US for a repair. LC''s complaint was that she was charged GST on the ring for a second time by Customs when it was shipped back.

This can be avoided by ensuring a) the correct paperwork is sent out with the repair and accompanies it back again; and b) hoping Steve is having a good day.

That sounds kind of flippant but I was only half joking. When my ring arrived from BGD, Steve said something that kind of freaked me a bit. He said that if Canadian Customs did not agree with the stipulated price on the invoice, they were at liberty to charge GST on what their opinion was as to the value of the item.

Now for all I know he had processed the paperwork on a couple of boatloads of pig semen the day before, but I was worried. I mean one of the reasons for Canadians going to the US for our diamonds is that we get a better price as well as better quality - right? As it turned out, I didn''t have to pay more than I was expecting to pay.

I might have bee here with my own Customs rant thread if that had been the case.

Shimmer, I am not sure how Calgarians can avoid "using" Customs if we purchase an item from outside of Canada. What did you mean?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about the drama. It is good to hear about the rest of your life going well.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
oh that sux LC
7.gif

in the next year (maybe the end of this year) we''ll be getting my ering and im a bit worried as it will have to go through Calgary.

I was also wondering if, when i get the diamond, i need to have it sent to me, then send it myself to be set? Im worried to not even look at it in person before setting it, but at the same time it seems a risk to have it go through customs twice...?

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 12:53:37 PM
Author: Blackpaw
oh that sux LC
7.gif

in the next year (maybe the end of this year) we'll be getting my ering and im a bit worried as it will have to go through Calgary.

I was also wondering if, when i get the diamond, i need to have it sent to me, then send it myself to be set? Im worried to not even look at it in person before setting it, but at the same time it seems a risk to have it go through customs twice...?

It is not a big deal if it is just a purchase. You pay the taxes/duties on it and get it. There is no legal way around that. You have to pay duties on an original purchase.

The issue here is that LC is upset as she has had to pay the taxes/duties on it TWICE for the full value after sending it back for repair (and she only obviously bought it once).

I get things through Calgary all the time no issues. Just make sure to give yourself extra time for delays.

As for setting...if you really NEED to look at in person...well then you will just have to deal with customs twice. But when you return it for setting, make sure you get the proper paperwork in order so that when it is returned you are not paying duties on the diamond again when the ring comes back to you...or at least ensure you can claim it back if you do. And make sure to get insurance on it when you send it.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gailey,

LC mentioned earlier that it could be routed through Vancouver or Toronto. That is what I meant, but I have no idea how this works
33.gif

I didn''t mean to avoid customs... I totally respect what the government does/charges considering how many shipments they must handle in a day, and that they are doing it for our safety
1.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all!!!

Well Steve must be knee deep in horse semen, so nothing new to report today!

Gailey is right - my rant is that I am paying on the first import and the second import, both times on the full value of the ring! I don''t get this double paying thing and this it is just plain stupid.

In future, I will ship to my firm''s Vancouver office and let it pass Customs there.

ARGH!!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 12:53:37 PM
Author: Blackpaw
oh that sux LC
7.gif

in the next year (maybe the end of this year) we'll be getting my ering and im a bit worried as it will have to go through Calgary.

Blackpaw

If you import the diamond, you will pay GST. If you then send it back out of the country to set it, then you will have to pay the same on the finished item which may well mean you pay twice.

Now perhaps the diamond supplier can find a way to ship it to an appraiser for evaluation in order for you to get a look at it. You ought not to pay the GST in those circumstances because ultimately the diamond will be sent back again. I would be up front and honest and seek council from Customs themselves.

Alternatively, you could have the diamond shipped and get the setting shipped separately and then get a local jeweller to marry the two together for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results