shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all you PS lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I think maybe at least Harriet is one? Tell me about law school! I am thinking of going in a year or so. What made you decide to go? Would you do it all over again? What personality traits do you have that are an asset in law school/law career, and what could you use more of? Maybe not even yourself, but in general. I know that sounds like a strange question, but I am trying to figure out if I will like it/find it fulfilling. I have always thought about it, and have recently become re-interested in the idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
35.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I debated on whether I shoud respond here. I don't want to be a dream killer LOL or give you bad advice.
Since you asked and I want to be honest....This is only my opinion based on my personality...I'm sure there must be SOME happy, satisfied lawyers out there (well, I'm not miserable...more like totally and 100% unfulfilled....I work for a small firm and don't make true "lawyer" money...but I leave at 6pm and don't think about it when I'm done...). That's still better than stressed...

Well, my thoughts on being a lawyer can best be expressed in a monologue from...LOL....(Sorry, having a Mary Catherine Gallagher moment):
Is that it is the most miserable, soul-less profession that is meaningless to me. Main characteristic is that you think you're always right and are a major bulls*itter and believe yourself even when you're wrong. Law school is nothing but reading and being nervous (and clearly not teaching me to spell)...and it teaches you almost nothing about the actual practice of law. Stock up on the immodium if you're to be a litigator...Judges suck and think you should be a good little lawyer and obey e/t most of them re stupid...

I'm currently exploring the option of becoming a vet tech...too late for vet school.....could have spared myself the student loans...

mary.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moremoremore, you totally crack me up. That''s why I decided to go the Ph.D. in public policy route rather than law school! Less immodium involved.
2.gif

Lil0818

Rough_Rock
Miscka,

Well, I''m not a lawyer YET, but I did just finish my first year of law school .... and I have to admit that despite all the horror stories you hear about law school, it was a really great experience. That said, I would offer just a few words of advice: law school requires such an enormous amount of dedication (and $$) that I think you really have be certain that you want to go. Those of my classmates who have been unhappy this year have attributed it to having been kind of wishy-washy about whether they wanted to go to law school in the first place (it seemed like a good idea, parents pressured them in to it, friends were going, etc.). I would also recommend giving some serious thought to what you want to do with your JD after graduation before you decide to go to law school. I was certain before appyling and starting school that I wanted a career in public interest law, particularly in the child welfare field. I knew that I could not do what I wanted to do unless I had my JD. In other words, don''t go just to go, and don''t go just because you are kind of interested in the law/legal profession. I think it helps A LOT to have specific goals about what you want to do post-graduation to help you keep you on-track when the going gets tough during the school year. It sounds like you are giving serious thought to all of this, which I think makes a really big difference - it is big decision!! Best of luck to you!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 10:37:37 PM
Author:Miscka
I think maybe at least Harriet is one? Tell me about law school! I am thinking of going in a year or so. What made you decide to go? Would you do it all over again? What personality traits do you have that are an asset in law school/law career, and what could you use more of? Maybe not even yourself, but in general. I know that sounds like a strange question, but I am trying to figure out if I will like it/find it fulfilling. I have always thought about it, and have recently become re-interested in the idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
35.gif
Do you want the honest answer?
2.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Well here is the thing: I have been thinking about going for years and years, off and on. I am afraid I will always wonder "what if..." and have a desire to go. I think I would like the school part, not sure about after. I worked in an immigration law firm for years and really enjoyed it. And now I work with the elderly, and I think I would love to do some legal stuff for that population. Wills, guardianship, etc. etc. I do always think I am right
2.gif
I like to analyze things, and I like arguments (not really serious personal ones), but I am not detail oriented by nature. I dont think I would be interested in the big money areas of law, which is ok. Student loans are scary though! Moremoremore, I am glad you responded! It was a real-life opinion that I appreciate, don''t worry about being a dream killer! I don''t have any super pretty lawyer pictures in my head. Interesting about the vet-tech thing, my other career interest is nurse practitioner! Lil-I would love to know a little bit more about your experience, if you feel like sharing.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well , in houston there are too many unemployed lawyers. a close friend of mine is barely making ends meet.

nurse practitioner much better choice. you would need a BA and MA in nursing. they make good money.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Miscka,

The unvarnished truth is that it was the worst 3 years of my life. I switched from a PhD programme in the humanities because I found out that I didn't care for academia. Thankfully, I have a job I love. So, yes, I'd do it all over again, but will think of it as a means to an end (I put an enormous amount of pressure of myself during law school because that's the way I am. However, if you're coming out of certain law schools, there is no need to.) Being analytical and detail-oriented are assets in the legal field, as is the ability to stay calm under pressure. As for whether you will like it or find it fulfilling, I don't know. However, I will say this -- a lot of people start law school wanting to go into public interest work. Most I know have ended up in the big firms, possibly because of the debt. If you think hard about it and still want to do it, go for it. Remember the poem about the road not taken? I'm happy to answer any other questions in have. Please bear in mind that while a lot of people hate law school, there are some who like it. Good luck!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 1:39:23 AM
Author: Miscka
Well here is the thing: I have been thinking about going for years and years, off and on. I am afraid I will always wonder ''what if...'' and have a desire to go. I think I would like the school part, not sure about after. I worked in an immigration law firm for years and really enjoyed it. And now I work with the elderly, and I think I would love to do some legal stuff for that population. Wills, guardianship, etc. etc. I do always think I am right
2.gif
I like to analyze things, and I like arguments (not really serious personal ones), but I am not detail oriented by nature. I dont think I would be interested in the big money areas of law, which is ok. Student loans are scary though! Moremoremore, I am glad you responded! It was a real-life opinion that I appreciate, don''t worry about being a dream killer! I don''t have any super pretty lawyer pictures in my head. Interesting about the vet-tech thing, my other career interest is nurse practitioner! Lil-I would love to know a little bit more about your experience, if you feel like sharing.
It''s great that you''ve had legal experience and know what you might want to do and might be in for.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tee hee...
41.gif

There are many happy lawyers out there...it just has to suit your personality...problem is, law school is nothing like being a lawyer....Except some minor-medium nerves on being called on (which in restrospect was silly...but it's tough when you have large class rooms), law school wasn't bad for me...I actually went out more and partied a tad hardier than in college LOL....I did well- wasn't a hot shot superstar, but did well...and I didn't find the studying or reading all that horrible....but I've always been ok with studying and reading, etc....

I DO want to mention though that I would probably find appeals work interesting...no bickering, negotiating, bull-sh*tting...just research and writing which is the best part of the job for me...I always thought I would have neen a great paralegal...lots of busy work which is fun for me and without the lawyer "responsibility" (NO disrespect to paras out there...you guys certainly work hard)

It's all fun and games until your $850 a month loans kick in.
40.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey moremoremore,
Are you a litigator? My strategy to avoid being called on was to volunteer, until my 3L ennui set in.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
court reporter is more fun.

shay

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Law school was not fun, imo. The first year was awful but the second two were better. I agree w/others that law school is not an indicator of what it''s like to be a lawyer. You learn what you need to learn once you start practicing. Personally, I don''t think the issue is whether or not you want to go to law school but whether you want to be a lawyer. Law school is just the means to the end. It is what it is. It''s designed to be extra competitive and weed people out.
I agree that you shouldn''t go unless you are sure. It''s not worth all that stress, aggravation and $$ to do it unless you know you want to practice.
Would I do it again.. that''s a hard one. I''ve been practicing for about 4 years now and I''m considering switching careers, seriously considering switching careers. I do not find it fulfiling and I wanted to be a lawyer almost all of my life. My other thought was to be a teacher, now that''s what I''m considering switching to. I thought law would be more satisfying. Maybe I was too idealistic, thought I could make a lot more of a difference than I make. It''s just not enough for me.
I am a criminal defense lawyer, and it''s very depressing. Very sad to see so many people in trouble, w/no means of bettering their situation.. just sad. I am one of those people that takes work home. I wish I could distance myself more but I can''t. That makes it harder b/c it does affect you inside. To see so many people in such difficult situations, it''s tough to see every day. I just need something happier these days.
Hmm, personality traits.. well, I''m overly analytical, studious, controlling, stubborn.. I''m sure all those qualities have helped me become a good attorney :)
I could definitely use more Patience!

Hope that helped a little.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input Dixie. I have a lot to think about! Right now I work with Alzheimer''s patients, and I am often "taking my work home" like you are saying. It is rough...I never thought about that in relation to a law career I guess. But those personality traits sound familiar, lol!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 11:38:08 PM
Author: Miscka
Thanks for the input Dixie. I have a lot to think about! Right now I work with Alzheimer''s patients, and I am often ''taking my work home'' like you are saying. It is rough...I never thought about that in relation to a law career I guess. But those personality traits sound familiar, lol!
Miscka, I think it probably depends on what type of law you choose. I''m sure it''s not as difficult w/contract law, corporate law (although you may not have much free time if you go w/a big firm) or other types that aren''t public interest kind of law. My problem is that I only have interest in public interest law so that it''s either this or a different career path.
Makes it tough!
Good luck thinking it through and with your decision.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie94,
Good for you re pro bono work!

Miscka,
One more thing -- law school may be awful, but the JD gives you a lot of flexibility.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 11:05:04 PM
Author: moremoremore
I debated on whether I shoud respond here. I don''t want to be a dream killer LOL or give you bad advice.

Since you asked and I want to be honest....This is only my opinion based on my personality...I''m sure there must be SOME happy, satisfied lawyers out there (well, I''m not miserable...more like totally and 100% unfulfilled....I work for a small firm and don''t make true ''lawyer'' money...but I leave at 6pm and don''t think about it when I''m done...). That''s still better than stressed...

Well, my thoughts on being a lawyer can best be expressed in a monologue from...LOL....(Sorry, having a Mary Catherine Gallagher moment):

Is that it is the most miserable, soul-less profession that is meaningless to me. Main characteristic is that you think you''re always right and are a major bulls*itter and believe yourself even when you''re wrong. Law school is nothing but reading and being nervous (and clearly not teaching me to spell)...and it teaches you almost nothing about the actual practice of law. Stock up on the immodium if you''re to be a litigator...Judges suck and think you should be a good little lawyer and obey e/t most of them re stupid...

.....could have spared myself the student loans...

I could have written this.

Sorry, don''t mean to disillusion you.. but at the last wedding of a law school bud I attended about 10 of us were griping about this... not ONE of us was a) fulfilled or b) not look for a way out.

I don''t think many of us can spell well either. LOL>

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work at a corporation BTW, contracts-- negotiation day in and day out. I''m good at it, but well... that''s not a great deal of comfort. Like MMM I would have been better off as a paralegal too. I love the research and writing. As for lawyer bucks... I''m making a decent salary but not lawyer bucks-- still my degree does give me flexibility and a boost in salary. I too partied in lawschool more than I did in undergrad. Enjoyed the experience, the bonding-- the actual academics? I didn''t like my brain twisted and turned into the lawyer mold, hated the socratic method, and in retrospect and STILL wondering why I was taught some of that crap.

The Bar review course teaches you more about law that law school does, IMO. OH... if you are going to go, they have Law School PREP classes now-- make sure to take one. I still wish I had.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 10:56:14 PM
Author: dixie94

35.gif
Law school was not fun, imo. The first year was awful but the second two were better. I agree w/others that law school is not an indicator of what it''s like to be a lawyer. You learn what you need to learn once you start practicing. Personally, I don''t think the issue is whether or not you want to go to law school but whether you want to be a lawyer. Law school is just the means to the end. It is what it is. It''s designed to be extra competitive and weed people out.
I agree that you shouldn''t go unless you are sure. It''s not worth all that stress, aggravation and $$ to do it unless you know you want to practice.
Would I do it again.. that''s a hard one. I''ve been practicing for about 4 years now and I''m considering switching careers, seriously considering switching careers. I do not find it fulfiling and I wanted to be a lawyer almost all of my life. My other thought was to be a teacher, now that''s what I''m considering switching to. I thought law would be more satisfying. Maybe I was too idealistic, thought I could make a lot more of a difference than I make. It''s just not enough for me.
I am a criminal defense lawyer, and it''s very depressing. Very sad to see so many people in trouble, w/no means of bettering their situation.. just sad. I am one of those people that takes work home. I wish I could distance myself more but I can''t. That makes it harder b/c it does affect you inside. To see so many people in such difficult situations, it''s tough to see every day. I just need something happier these days.
Hmm, personality traits.. well, I''m overly analytical, studious, controlling, stubborn.. I''m sure all those qualities have helped me become a good attorney :)
I could definitely use more Patience!

Hope that helped a little.
i can endorse the career changer teacher thing. i did a midlife career change too.

make sure you are free of the loan debt first. one of my teaching colleaugue switched over to teaching after getting her MBA and she has to work at starbucks at night to pay off her student debt. she loves teaching though.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I'm another lawyer and thought I'd weigh in. I graduated from law school in 2001.

I absolutely LOVED law school. I loved studying the law and I really enjoyed the abstract academic stuff. Reading Supreme Court cases that really impact society...and commenting on those decisions. It was just amazing.

I decided to go to law school after waiting tables for two years with my entirely useless undergraduate degree. My manager where I worked actually suggested law school...and I started looking into it and it seemed like a good fit for me...so I did it.

As for what qualities help with success...I think the folks that took a few years off between undergrad and law school generally did a bit better. Law school requires so much studying and work - it would have been tough to go from undergrad right to law school. I missed studying and stuff, so I kind of enjoyed doing it again. Crazy, I know. The other quality that I thing is HUGE is the ability to write well. I think that is probably the single most important quality you can have. Of course, the ability to work hard and really focus is important!

Now, the practice of law, well, I didn't enjoy that at all. I did well in law school and had my choice of big firms to work for after I graduated. I worked at two big firms and honestly, I was miserable. I made great money, but I was just so unhappy and stressed and just ugh. I found that everything you hear about big firms was entirely true. And here's the thing. I didn't go to law school hoping to work at a big firm, but if you do well academically, it is almost expected that you'll go to a big firm. It is easy to get carried away with the whole thing. After four years at one big firm and one year at another, I got out.

I'm working for an appellate judge now, and I enjoy what I'm doing. The hours are better, but the pay is MUCH less. Overall, I don't regret going to law school. However, I'm now in a ton of student loan debt and I definitely do not have my dream career. I'm thinking about possibly going back to school and getting a Phd in something or other.

Hope this helps!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miscka:

As I mentioned before, I ALMOST went to law school. I was at the point of being accepted, going to visiting day, etc. Then decided it wasn't for me.

What made me decide was that I wanted to do public interest law. I had NO interest in working at a firm at all. But I also don't come from a wealthy family and would have had to take most of the law school debt on myself (with a little scholarship help). After talking to a number of recent graduates of the program, almost ALL were working at firms despite their desire to be in public interest law.

Why? Because they couldn't pay off their loans on a public interest lawyers salary. So fast forward a number of years, and I talked to a few older alumni of the program who did public interest law when they were at school. Most were at big firms. I asked why, and they said that once they got used to the lifestyle that a big firm could afford them in terms of $, they couldn't really give it up. They had big mortgages, were still paying off loans, and they greatly enjoyed their vacations every year to exotic locale.

Only a few had been able to go back and do public interest law later in life.

Their experiences are what made me really decide to go into policy instead. Now I can do the writing and research on the law but not have to deal with the crazy hours, big debt (I'm entirely funded in my PhD program-and that is not uncommon), or being unfulfilled.

So two words of caution if you REALLY want to go (and if you really want to, you should):

1. Try and attend a school that has a loan forgiveness program. These programs will forgive your loans (either totally or a percent) for every year that you work in public interest law. It seems that unless your family can help you pay for law school outright, this is the only real way to go if you want to do public interest.

2. Make sure you look really deeply into the amount of $ it will cost you and make sure that you REALLY want to be a lawyer and that you are willing to pay that much to do it.

Best of luck!!!! We always need more people in public interest work...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two things on public interest work:
1. It''s not easy to land either.
2. Even if a school has a loan forgiveness programme, you may make too much to qualify even as a public interest lawyer.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
DH is a lawyer at a big NY firm (big, little letters; he used to work at one of the oldest, snootiest establishments, and was absolutely miserable). He still works crazy hours, but is a lot more fulfilled and appreciated at the new one. As for law school, he adored it, and graduated top of his class.

The thing about law that amazes me is how few female partners there are at the top NY firms. I have only met one woman with a child and family who has managed to juggle those concerns with being a partner.

As a writer, I have the same anal tendencies when it comes to detail, but could not be doing with the passive aggressive tendencies that seem to run rife through many NY law firms. Us creative sorts like to let our gripes hang loose and uncensored, you see
9.gif
. I hate to say it, but of the lawyers I''ve met, DH notwithstanding
31.gif
, many seem to be missing the social interraction chip and quite relish -- secretly or otherwise -- those hideous long hours, Blackberry device permanently soldered to their hip.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Miscka: It''s a difficult decision, trying to figure out the path to career fulfillment. There is a lot of negativity in this thread and I believe it''s all honest, coming from personal experience. But, I also believe that if you polled a bunch of Drs, writers, teachers, PhD researchers you''d hear many similar complaints. Right now, I have a friend in everone of those aforementioned categories that is seriously thinking of changing their careers. I think that it''s terribly common to go into a profession, any profession, and think that you are going to make a difference. only to learn that it''s a harder road to hoe than you first anticipated. and worse, maybe it''s just not possible. Every job/profession has its negative aspects and it''s a very personal decision to sort out what you thrive on, what puts you off, etc.

I went to law school only after deciding that a PhD in molecular biology was not the cup of tea for me. I found the world of scientific acadamia was far more political, cut throat, unstable, uncertain and bureaucratic than i ever would have imagined. Not only wasn''t my heart completely commited to a life of bench research (HUGE FACTOR), I just did not like the professional environment.

I went to law school and absolutely enjoyed the experience. I was put off by some of the personalities of the people that are drawn to law, but overall I enjoyed the academic pursuit. Like MMM mentioned, law school doesn''t prepare you AT ALL for the actual practice of law. However, there are 1001+ ways in which a person can be a lawyer and I don''t think that any school can prepare you for all the iterations. Working your first couple of years becomes something of an apprenticeship, you learn your chosen field, get comfortable with the law in the area, develop the practical skills that you didn''t get from school...

(I can''t spell either
14.gif
)

Here are a couple of observations that i''ve made:

*There are too many law students.
*There are far too many law students that go to school because 1) their parents expect them to be a professional; 2) they expect themselves to be a professional; 3) or they haven''t fully assessed the consequences.
*Law school is too expensive.
*Our government doesn''t have enough programs to account for the fact that currently most students have to take out private loans that are equal or greater than the lower interest/sometimes subsidized federal loans.
*Student debt can severely limit your options after graduation.

My best advice would be to understand the financial implications if you were to go. perhaps look into state schools.

Personally, I would do it over again. Though ask me in a few more years
2.gif

What are the reasons you are interested in law school?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ll give you my perspective as a woman who''s practiced law for 27 years - 21 of them in big firm, big city practice. I''m now general counsel for a company and have been for the past 6 years.

I liked law school for the most part. I wasn''t a fan of the Socratic method, but it does teach you something valuable - that being uncomfortable or put on the spot isn''t fatal. Twist in the wind a couple of times and it forces you to be prepared even when you''d rather do something else. That was helpful to me as I had some serious slacker tendencies.

Part of the reason I enjoyed law school is I had a major focus my second and third years, which was Law Review. I was a decent writer before but I really learned a lot there, particularly as an editor. I also made some lifelong friends. I''m not sure law school would have been as enjoyable if I hadn''t had that focus. The third year would have been particularly tedious because at that point you''re really thinking about the future, especially if you have a job lined up.

As to the qualities that are useful for law school, here goes:
- being able to write well is a tremendous plus. No matter what kind of law you practice - whether litigation or transactional - you need to be able to communicate in writing. You certainly need it to do well on law school exams.
- being able to think "on your feet." If you don''t have that ability, law school and practice are harder. Not impossible, but harder.
- having a certain amount of self-assurance. I don''t mean having a big ego or being arrogant or wanting to talk all the time. Law school is a competitive place filled with lots of Type A personalities and you need to be able to deal with that without getting down on yourself or trying to turn yourself into one of them if that''s not who you are. This also comes in handy once you are a lawyer, particularly if you go into private practice.

There''s another quality that most people think is useful for law school and practicing as a lawyer, but isn''t. Loving to argue does not make someone a good lawyer. It often makes them a terrible lawyer because a lawyer''s job is not to argue, but to persuade. There''s a big, big difference. When you write a brief, you''re trying to persuade. When you talk to a jury, you''re trying to persuade. When you negotiate a contract, you''re trying to persuade. This is the biggest mistake most young lawyers make, me included. Arguing with someone rarely causes the other person to see things your way. Some lawyers never learn this. Law school certainly doesn''t teach it, and in fact, often rewards argument for the sake of argument.

The longer you practice, the more you see that your job is to prevent and solve problems. You have to like doing that. It sounds very basic, but problem-solving is at the heart of what we do. And that''s what you''re being hired to do regardless of where you work. It can also mean that you see people at times of stress and your job often isn''t "fun." It can be satisfying, but it can be a hard job to leave behind at the end of the day because there is often a lot at stake for your client.

You have the benefit, which a lot of us didn''t have, by having seen how a law firm actually works. I agree that it helps to know why you want to go to law school and what you want to accomplish after, but also be aware that may change. The kind of law I wanted to practice when I started law school was very different from the type of law I ended up wanting to practice.

Some things that helped me a lot were:

- not having a big debt load. The uncomfortable truth is that having a lot of student loans to pay off after law school limits your options in a lot of ways. If you owe $$$$$$$, the most efficient way to pay them off is to go into big firm, big money practice for a few years, learn what they have to teach you, live frugally and pay those loans off, then go do what you want to do, whatever it is. Not everyone wants to take that path or has the chance to go to a big firm to make big bucks. If there''s a way to go to a good school without going heavily into debt (go to a local law school, live at home, etc.), you give yourself the gift of flexibility.

- I took a year off between college and law school. It really does help you focus on what you want and it gives you a chance to save some money so your debt will be smaller. Plus, you get a good idea of what the employment options are with your undergrad degree and whether that is what you want to do with your life.

- I made sure I had a life outside law school and the law firm. It''s not always easy, but it helps to have something else in your life. I got married after the first year of law school to a non-lawyer and thank God! When the rigors of law school or practice wear you down, it helps to have someone or something in which you find joy. But that''s not unique to law school.

Hope this helps.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rainwood,

Do you have any advice for young female associates? Thank you.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Lawyers ~ One of those love hate relationships I have in my life :)

The most important thing is you enjoy what you do. If you go for the money you will dread every day you get up.

Doing what you want to do and enjoy it makes all the difference in the world. From that you can work on making the big money :)

Working for someone only makes them rich.

Think about being your own boss :)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a lawyer, but I have a close friend who is.
She is tops in her field with a Philadelphia firm, but the road to the top
required untold hours away from home. She was married and had 2 children, but had nannies
and a hubby who did it all. He quit his job and stayed home. She put in so many hours, she missed her kids lives, no kidding. Now she is well known, partner and about to be Pres. of her firm. I have read articles about her breaking through the glass ceiling. How many females are Pres. of a very large worldwide firm? Not many, I bet. But it all came with a price. She filed for divorce, she said she outgrew him, she never, ever went to her kids school functions. Always at the office, even early Sunday mornings. Her husband is bitter, he says he made her. He did do a lot for her and enabled her to become what she is. So sad. But she has big money, private company jets, huge expense account and all the travel one could wish for. I don''t envy her, at all.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2007 4:32:50 PM
Author: rainwood

- I made sure I had a life outside law school and the law firm. It''s not always easy, but it helps to have something else in your life. I got married after the first year of law school to a non-lawyer and thank God! When the rigors of law school or practice wear you down, it helps to have someone or something in which you find joy. But that''s not unique to law school.

How was it being a newly married person and being in law school at the same time? I am asking because my fiance is going to be attending law school during our first years of marriage. A lot of people have said that it is great because you have a built in support system, but other people say it is straining on a relationship. I am just curious for some PS perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results