shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Macaw owners!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
35.gif

Any Macaw owners out there? DH and I are looking at getting one. I''m on the nets googling, but I''m not sure if I''m asking the right questions.

I''ve had lovebirds before, but that was a long time ago...

What are the things I need to know/ have ready before I go out and get me one of these beauties?

And don''t forget to share pics if you have any!

Thanx!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow!

I''ve never owned a macaw, but used to work in a pet store that specialized in parrots and have also "babysat" several different species of macaw. What type are you looking at?

In general, I found macaws to be much more friendly, sociable, and less neurotic than other species of parrot (such as African Greys and Amazons). They''re really a lot of fun! Also, they aren''t nearly as noisy as other parrots like cockatoos and conures.

All parrots need a great deal of attention, or else they can resort to neurotic behavior like plucking out their own feathers (I''ve seen many bald birds because of owner neglect). I cannot stress enough how much attention parrots need. If you decide you want one, you''ll want to get a hand-fed parrot and you should try to get one very young so that it can "bond" to you early. Parrots tend to bond to 1 or 2 people, but can also be social with other humans. Most people choose not to keep 2 parrots together, because they will bond to each other and they will likely become less social to humans. Parrots are a major commitment (!!!) - I believe macaws can live 25-50 years or more. Other species of parrot live even longer.

I don''t really think I would recommend a macaw to a beginning bird owner unless you were looking at a very small breed, like a Hahn''s Macaw. Hahn''s macaws are adorable and playful, although sometimes they can be a bit nippy.

The friendliest macaw I''ve ever been around was a huge Scarlet Macaw who was incredibly well socialized. He would literally lay like a baby in my arms and he frequently chattered, "Here kitty kitty kitty" which I thought was hilarious, and overall, he was a total clown (but even he would occasionally bite me and, believe me, it hurt).

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard that it''s best to get a big bird like a macaw or African Grey when you are retired and generally home most of the time, otherwise they tend to get offended when you go to work and such. I am dying to get an African Grey for my dad, they are his favorites and I know he would have that bird VERY well trained.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! I think much depends on the type of Macaw you are considering. Breeds like a Hahn''s, red shouldered or Severe are much smaller than something like a blue and gold or a green wing, for example.

I think can consider how much space you have and how much time you have, as a Macaw does not seem like a bird you can easily leave alone for long stretches. I think many end up getting rehomed because of this.

I would love to have a Macaw and do consider a smaller type, though right now I have 3 birds already (2 indian ringnecks and one diamond dove), which seems like plenty.

The macaws are so beautiful and intelligent and friendly. Wonderful addition to a home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 4:29:50 PM
Author:SparklyLibra
Hi
35.gif

Any Macaw owners out there? DH and I are looking at getting one. I''m on the nets googling, but I''m not sure if I''m asking the right questions.

I''ve had lovebirds before, but that was a long time ago...

What are the things I need to know/ have ready before I go out and get me one of these beauties?

And don''t forget to share pics if you have any!

Thanx!
you need a big cage.
9.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses folks! I wasn''t sure I''d get any at all so this is great!

Inanna: I have some experience with birds, but it was long ago. I had a lovebird named Mikael for 10 years before he died.

I''m a SAHM and I don''t really spend most of my day in the home, and don''t usually leave until DH gets home. I was reading that they need at least 1-2 hours to stretch and move around outside of their cages. I definitely have that time to devote to a friendly face (while I fold the never shrinking mountain of laundry)... Do you think with all the time that''s passed since I had a bird will come right back to me once I get back into the swing of things? I''m wondering if I should start small, like Hahn''s and maybe go for B & G later? Just not sure that I want to get one, part with him/her and then go through the whole bonding all over again.... What do you think?

Beacon: I''m not sure which yet, but I really do love the beauty of a Blue & Gold, Green Winged, Red & Green, but I''m drawn to Hahn''s because they''re smaller and it''s been a while.. So many choices!
32.gif

MonkeyPie: I am home pretty much all day and have lots of time and attention to devote to a feathered friend.

DF:
6.gif
Gee! Ya don''t say? Thanks for reminding me!, LOL!
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom had many Macaws. Luckily she adopted them after I moved out! They were super noisy and chewed on everything. They ruined all the beautiful trim she had showcasing all her windows.

Many of the birds she rescued from neglectful owners. . .when the birds were unhappy, they pulled all their feathers out! She'd nurse them back.

She had huge cages. . .and let them fly around the house too.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Someone gave my family a blue and gold macaw when I was a kid. She had been one of two macaws in a household, but the birds got crazy jealous when the family had kids, so they gave one or both away. We got the female, named ''Angel''. She was quite a handful. Pretty ornery and would bite and peck unpredictably. She even terrorized our dog! She chewed up any furniture she could get to, from beds to dressers, vanities, and she chewed up homework papers! And she was greedy! She ate everything and you could not eat in her room without sharing. She LOVED peanuts, peanut M&M''s and Skittles. Especially Skittles! And Ice cream! She really loved me, but didn''t really take to the rest of my family, and we were all pretty nervous around her, because she was unpredictable. She could climb stairs, as well as open her cage. She chewed through lots of locks too. We were total novice owners, and had no idea how to socialize her. It may have helped. She was young, maybe 7-12 years when we had her, probably like a birdy teenager. They can live to be 60-80 years in captivity! She was fantastically beautiful, and we could have been better owners if we knew more... we gave her away when we moved when I was 14, couldn''t take her cross country in the van full of people and the dog. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. Do lots of reading up on any breed of bird you decide on, and go to a good reputable seller who can offer support, resources and guidance.

Angel knew my name, and my sister''s and my mom''s. She could say bath, and she said hello when the phone would ring. She would say hi, and thank you, probably other things that I am forgetting. We didn''t teach her any words, she would just pick them up. She liked to kiss people on the neck and ear, and it would TICKLE! She was really soft and liked to travel the house on our arms and shoulders. If she wasn''t getting enough attention, she would get off her cage and walk around. once she hid under my sisters bed and ambushed her feet! lol. Her nails were crazy long and would hurt or leave marks on our arms. She was a cool pet, but def a handful....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results