shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from a B&M jewellery store - worth the markup?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I wrote an article for a jewellery mag last year about marketing jewellery in B&M stores, and the focus was about making the customer feel special every time they make a purchase. I was just wondering if other people felt that the experience of buying something from a B&M store was worth the markup?

I buy a lot of jewellery online, but I also buy a lot of it from jewellery stores. The experience is so different. For me, I''d prefer to get someone from an upmarket jewellery store if it''s for a special occasion, like an anniversary or birthday because (a) you get the goodies immediately, (b) good salespeople usually make a fuss and makes the occasion even more special, (c) there''s something nice about walking around with a pretty little jewellery bag swinging from your wrist.

I bought my bridesmaids gifts from Tiffanys when I got married earlier this year and even though I could have probably bought them something much nicer online for the same amount of $$, I wouldn''t do it any differently. The staff at Tiffanys were so helpful and made me feel so special, and seeing the look on my maid of honour''s face when I handed her the little blue bag was already worth the money spent. Her jaw dropped and she went, "You didn''t!!!"

What does everyone else think?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...I like buying basics/staples for my jewelry wardrobe online, mainly because I know I can get a better deal financially. But I''ve always loved our jeweler since DH bought my e-ring, it''s one of those free standing stores where you call first, make an appointment with your SA (not required, but works out well), and then you get "buzzed" in the door which just makes you feel sorta special right there. The service is always outstanding, they know us both on a first name basis and we''ve established a good relationship and rapport with our SA over the last 5 years. Wedding bands, watches, anniversary gifts, just-because gifts, etc. we''ve purchased from them, because we are just as hooked on the experience and personalized treatment as we are on their product if not more so!

But as I mentioned at first, I love being able to spend hours researching online and finding the best deal for basics that I just buy for myself. I don''t know if my opinion would be the same, though, if internet shopping had been as popular 5 years ago as it is now...if it had been, I have to wonder whether I would''ve been more involved in my e-ring purchase and really researched stone selection and settings. I really don''t think online shopping will ever end up taking over the jewelry market completely, people are always going to love the thrill of going into an actual B&M and trying on and falling in love with bling.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people are willing to pay for service.... and not just the lowest price. Entire industries are built on this.

There will always be jewelry stores. Perhaps less than there are now - but always.

Perry

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my favourite jewellery store. It's got a wonderful mix of products for every budget. The staff there know me by name, and they always give me a significant discount. I'm sure they mark everything up in order to give a discount to everyone, but I have always found that their products are also top notch. They are a family based shop with a large inventory, including designer items.

The other, more important factor to me is that they have goldsmiths in-store, so that any work I need done is done very quickly. It's great to have a good relationship with a store you trust. Also, the one staff member who handles all my serious business does not BS me. That's worth something too.
41.gif

ETA: I tend to buy from wherever has the best price, online or B&M. I'm comfortable with both. My most major purchase was made from a very reputable online vendor here at PS, but resetting is taking place at my B&M shop.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it''s a matter of saving $50 on a $200 item, I''ll buy from the jewelry store. If I can save $500-1000 on a $2000 item by ordering online, then you''d better believe I won''t pay for the jewelry store "experience"!!! I also bought my daughter a Tiffany sterling pendant for a birthday, but that is totally different in that the pendant wouldn''t have been special if it hadn''t come from Tiffany''s!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 10:05:01 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
If it''s a matter of saving $50 on a $200 item, I''ll buy from the jewelry store. If I can save $500-1000 on a $2000 item by ordering online, then you''d better believe I won''t pay for the jewelry store ''experience''!!!

Agreed. That''s my feeling too. I will also buy special pieces from a local store, things I **can''t** find online. But then again, my local B&M is great and prices are pretty good on a lot of things.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
There''s only one B&M store that I purchase from. The service is outstanding. The only item I''ve bought online is the center stone for my ering--an ACA. There are some pieces that I can''t find elsewhere and don''t want a replica. Other things, such as diamond studs, can be had at a savings online. I do enjoy the in store experience and that is part of the pleasure of buying jewelry, for me. Emotions v. practicality--the jewelry conundrum.

BTW the "average" jewelry store experience has me running for the door!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2007 9:01:20 AM
Author: lyra
I love my favourite jewellery store. It''s got a wonderful mix of products for every budget. The staff there know me by name, and they always give me a significant discount. I''m sure they mark everything up in order to give a discount to everyone, but I have always found that their products are also top notch. They are a family based shop with a large inventory, including designer items.

The other, more important factor to me is that they have goldsmiths in-store, so that any work I need done is done very quickly. It''s great to have a good relationship with a store you trust. Also, the one staff member who handles all my serious business does not BS me. That''s worth something too.
41.gif
Ditto on the above. I could have written it word for word. BUT, I also buy online. Even with the large discounts I get at my favorite local jewelers my husband and I still buy most of our larger ticket items online. Financially we just get a better deal and I''m not going to turn that down! So I''m squarely in the "I do both" camp.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I do business with a wonderful local family owned jewelry store, I''ve bought online (Whiteflash), and I''ve purchased from a high end retailer (Tiffany''s). Each is a different experience and where I choose to buy depends upon the occasion and what I want. My local jeweler usually discounts items for me and I am treated like a queen when I go in there. He also provides a number of services at no charge and lets me know when he gets in special items like the hard to find Rolex Daytona that I bought my husband for our anniversary. My Whiteflash experience was great too and I saved a ton of money. Tiffany''s is obviously overpriced but there was just something so special to walk in there on Valentine''s Day and be able to walk out with some of their unique and beautiful jewelry. Is it worth the markup? I think that depends on the person and the circumstances.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 9:01:20 AM
Author: lyra
I love my favourite jewellery store. It''s got a wonderful mix of products for every budget. The staff there know me by name, and they always give me a significant discount. I''m sure they mark everything up in order to give a discount to everyone, but I have always found that their products are also top notch. They are a family based shop with a large inventory, including designer items.

The other, more important factor to me is that they have goldsmiths in-store, so that any work I need done is done very quickly. It''s great to have a good relationship with a store you trust. Also, the one staff member who handles all my serious business does not BS me. That''s worth something too.
41.gif

ETA: I tend to buy from wherever has the best price, online or B&M. I''m comfortable with both. My most major purchase was made from a very reputable online vendor here at PS, but resetting is taking place at my B&M shop.
Wow, if I could find a jeweller like this in Melbourne, I''d be there in a flash.

Even though I buy quite a lot of jewellery from B&M stores, I have yet to find one that really makes me want to keep going back (other than Tiffanys, but I can''t afford to shop there all the time!!!). I tend to compare prices a lot when I decide I want something, and our business goes to whoever can give us the best deal, whether it be a B&M store or online.

One of the marketing experts I interviewed said something that really made sense to me: "Sales don''t make people buy more jewellery, they just determine WHEN people buy jewellery." Anyone else agree?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results