shape
carat
color
clarity

Book Club pick?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It's my turn to pick the book for my book club. Unless something sounds better, I'm going with Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy. I read it 10 years ago (after loving the movie) or so and enjoyed it. Here are our prior picks, to give an idea as to what we've read-

Jan- Gone Girl
Feb- Northline by Willy Vlautin
Mar- No Turning Back by Tiffany Snow
Apr- Butterfly by Kathryn Harvey, and The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay
May/June- The Maze Runner
July- The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
Aug- Heaven is for Real
Sep- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Any suggestions? A lot of the books we've picked have been recent movies, so that was one reason I picked Circle of Friends. We've had a lot of mystery/crime books so I'd like to stay away from that genre.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read Circle of Friends a couple of times now - I'm a big fan of Maeve Binchy (may she RIP) - have never seen the movie however.

As another suggestion, if you/your book club hasn't read it already, I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (published 2008)? It's an extremely well-written, well-paced story. I think a movie was/is being made, not sure of current status. I do think it would be an excellent selection for a book club. As I recall, it was on the NY Time bestseller list.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1413246548|3766689 said:
I've read Circle of Friends a couple of times now - I'm a big fan of Maeve Binchy (may she RIP) - have never seen the movie however.

As another suggestion, if you/your book club hasn't read it already, I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (published 2008)? It's an extremely well-written, well-paced story. I think a movie was/is being made, not sure of current status. I do think it would be an excellent selection for a book club. As I recall, it was on the NY Time bestseller list.

I love her, too! Have you read Light a Penny Candle? I really enjoyed that one.

It's funny you mention the Potato Peel book...I've wanted to read that one for a while. The problem is I know quite a few people people in the club have already read it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ I have read Light a Penny Candle and enjoyed it - I love Binchy's writing so much I own all of her books (except perhaps the last 2 published) - other particular favorites are Firefly Summer, Tara Road, Quentin's, and Scarlet Feather - Firefly Summer is probably my very favorite of all her books - to me, Binchy had a real knack of creating characters and families and stories that were believable, and made me laugh and cry, and tugged at my heartstrings because it all seemed so real and I cared about the people and the story - ah, well-written fiction lives forever, yes?!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1413304823|3766933 said:
^ I have read Light a Penny Candle and enjoyed it - I love Binchy's writing so much I own all of her books (except perhaps the last 2 published) - other particular favorites are Firefly Summer, Tara Road, Quentin's, and Scarlet Feather - Firefly Summer is probably my very favorite of all her books - to me, Binchy had a real knack of creating characters and families and stories that were believable, and made me laugh and cry, and tugged at my heartstrings because it all seemed so real and I cared about the people and the story - ah, well-written fiction lives forever, yes?!

I will look into those. I read The Glass Lake and started Tara Road, but never finished.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't read your pick, but here are a few I loved that I would think would create good book club discussions.

The Interestings (Meg Wolitzer)
The Light Between Oceans ML Steadman
The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results