shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th bday.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th b

I do think many of us hold vendords to too high a standard here on PS. Honestly, what you describe TGal is a small potatoes issue in the grand scheme of the consumer marketplace, in my opinion.

I have had miscommunications and unanswered e-mails from most of the major PS vendors over the years, issues similar to those expressed here with respect to BGD. And yes, I have had some frustrating experiences with BGD too.

But I am a demanding and exacting consumer. I think most of us here are, that is one reason we found PS. I honestly cannot think of one single commercial interaction with a vendor relating to something very important to me that I am 100% happy with, where I did not have some moments of pulling out my hair. In every case where I have worked with a vendor, or any type, on a major and important purchase that was emotionally salient to me -- wedding related, real estate related, car related, jewelry related etc -- there has been at least one miscommunication and frustrating interaction. The fact is, no one else is a perfect as me :tongue: so they all screw up at least once.

Most I forgive as long as the outcome is good.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'll chime in with my small experience... I'm sure they will read this thread and perhaps they can institute some changes to streamline their communication.

First I just have to say I hate that email system. Email is fine but I hate that account log in thing. Annoying.

Second, year ago or more I called Brian to get the scoop and find out some info on a recut and he was like oh Sara old friend thank you for following me and oh it won't cost too much, about x to x+50. I'm like great! So I register and send the info and L gives me a quote more than double. I decided not to confront the discrepancy, nor do the business. a few
months later I got quotes for something very specific and easy but custom and they quoted double what wf did. In my heart I would prefer to patronage Brian, but so far that has been hard for me to do. I wanted to say something both times here but it was too petty to make a big deal about. I add it now because it seems some of this may be chronic rather than unique and I would like to give them the opportunity to learn and grow from this. Their work is exquisite and Brian is the best! He's just a good guy. So they have some growing pains, it's normal. Beats dealing with Leon any day lol

iPhone typing may cause errors :razz:

Laila619 said:
LaurenThePartier said:
TGal, you're such a sweet daughter, and I'm so sorry the ring didn't work out. Like many, I think there was neglect in emailing you while you still had time to buy something else. Rush jobs are tricky things, though, and I've been very lucky the few times I've asked our PS vendors for a rush item with 1 week - 10 days to go. I know it doesn't fix your current problem, but thank you for posting your feedback so that it can be helpful to others.

Kind of along this same topic, I've been using both Chrome and IE to check BGD's site since this thread popped up. I was trying to view the ring because I'm not sure which one it is, but it appears that I can't access the site, nor can I access their blog. Has anyone else had any difficulty getting to their site?

Lauren, your IP address is probably blocked. You have to call them to get it unblocked. I had the same thing happen and they said their website blocks some peoples' IPs.

That happened to me too. Still has. Not really sure what I would've done to get blocked.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just wanted to add that I'd certainly still use BGD for something. Like gecko said, no one's perfect, vendors included. I think in this case BGD dropped the ball, but that doesn't mean I'd write them off.

I love WF (dealt with Lesley a little when she was still there, too) but even they somehow shipped me my custom e-ring in the wrong size. (And figuring out what size I needed involved tons of back and forth and a trip to Tiffany in another state to get sized!)

Anyway, I don't think most people are slamming BGD. Like I said-I'd still use them and know that there could be communication issues. And hopefully they'll work on their communication issues by hiring some more reps and streamlining the process.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

bean said:
Laila619 said:
LaurenThePartier said:
TGal, you're such a sweet daughter, and I'm so sorry the ring didn't work out. Like many, I think there was neglect in emailing you while you still had time to buy something else. Rush jobs are tricky things, though, and I've been very lucky the few times I've asked our PS vendors for a rush item with 1 week - 10 days to go. I know it doesn't fix your current problem, but thank you for posting your feedback so that it can be helpful to others.

Kind of along this same topic, I've been using both Chrome and IE to check BGD's site since this thread popped up. I was trying to view the ring because I'm not sure which one it is, but it appears that I can't access the site, nor can I access their blog. Has anyone else had any difficulty getting to their site?

Lauren, your IP address is probably blocked. You have to call them to get it unblocked. I had the same thing happen and they said their website blocks some peoples' IPs.

That happened to me too. Still has. Not really sure what I would've done to get blocked.

Here is a way to check your IP address - http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Email your IP to Lesley and they can unblock you.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

bean said:
Laila619 said:
LaurenThePartier said:

Well THAT is interesting.

I tried to buy some studs a few months ago and chose two pairs to enquire about, one was smaller (about .4ct each) the other a little larger (over .5ct each) anyway, the .5's were great value for money and I was told to go with them. Unfortunately because of the time difference I didn't see the email till about 6 hours after it was sent and in the mean time the larger pair had been purchased and i was a little devastated. It proved to me how much i wanted the larger pair and when asked if i wanted to purchase the smaller pair i said no and that i would rather wait till something bigger and in my price range came up. I asked a couple of other questions regarding shipping to AU and never heard back. Next time i tried to get on the site I was blocked and it stayed like that for about 3 months. I can finally get back on now and i am in the process of picking out my earrings again (please don't block me for this post!! :tongue: ) So yeah, maybe it was a complete coincedence or maybe not. I don't know.

ETA: Dealing with them this time round, service and communication has been excellent, so far, so good.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D said:
I do think many of us hold vendords to too high a standard here on PS. Honestly, what you describe TGal is a small potatoes issue in the grand scheme of the consumer marketplace, in my opinion.

I have had miscommunications and unanswered e-mails from most of the major PS vendors over the years, issues similar to those expressed here with respect to BGD. And yes, I have had some frustrating experiences with BGD too.

But I am a demanding and exacting consumer. I think most of us here are, that is one reason we found PS. I honestly cannot think of one single commercial interaction with a vendor relating to something very important to me that I am 100% happy with, where I did not have some moments of pulling out my hair. In every case where I have worked with a vendor, or any type, on a major and important purchase that was emotionally salient to me -- wedding related, real estate related, car related, jewelry related etc -- there has been at least one miscommunication and frustrating interaction. The fact is, no one else is a perfect as me :tongue: so they all screw up at least once.

Most I forgive as long as the outcome is good.

First, TGal, I'm sorry abt your mom's b'day present. You're a sweet and thoughtful daughter. Happy 70th to your mom.

I agree with Dreamer. This is, as frustrating as it must be for you, TGal, not something that would determine whether or not I'll use BGD again. In fact, I still think they're the BEST vendor out there for *me*. Brian and Lesley are the best and their diamonds are just incredible to behold. I do think they try very very hard, which is something good in my book. I'm sure they'll do something about their communication issues that some seem to be experiencing. I'd like to add that all my recent emails and calls to them have been promptly attended to and delivery promises upheld, so it must have been an oversight/sthg out of their control in this occasion.

Regarding the blocked IP's, I've recently had mine blocked too and I understand that it is because their BGD site has experienced some cyber attacks, including those from IP addresses in China. I seriously doubt if someone's IP is blocked that it is because of something they think they've done. I emailed Lesley abt my not being able to access BGD and she promptly replied. I gave her my IP address and she had it unblocked in minutes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I also could not log onto BGD for a while, sent and e-mail, the problem went away.

4ever

Ideal_Rock

Travel Goddess said:
I also designed DH's ring (not sure if it would be considered "custom" as they just took a men's stock ring and added milgrain and drilled holes for diamonds) and was kind of surprised to see it offered for sale on their website with no mention to me that they would be offering it to the public. I clearly don't have any rights to the design, but a little heads-up of "we'll be offering this ring on our website" would have been nice. It doesn't feel as "one of a kind" to me anymore.

I think the OP's sitution sucks but things like this happen when you have that kind of deadline.

However travel goddess's quote above pisses me off and I think it was really rude of them to do this :angryfire: :nono: . Lot's of people order "custom" rings and jewlery for a reason, so it is unique. I totally agree it would have been different if they had told you beforhand that they were going to offer it as a stock setting.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

4ever said:
Travel Goddess said:
I also designed DH's ring (not sure if it would be considered "custom" as they just took a men's stock ring and added milgrain and drilled holes for diamonds) and was kind of surprised to see it offered for sale on their website with no mention to me that they would be offering it to the public. I clearly don't have any rights to the design, but a little heads-up of "we'll be offering this ring on our website" would have been nice. It doesn't feel as "one of a kind" to me anymore.

I think the OP's sitution sucks but things like this happen when you have that kind of deadline.

However travel goddess's quote above pisses me off and I think it was really rude of them to do this :angryfire: :nono: . Lot's of people order "custom" rings and jewlery for a reason, so it is unique. I totally agree it would have been different if they had told you beforhand that they were going to offer it as a stock setting.

I agree that it sucks, but if you read in the T&C on their website there is a clause about how whatever you send in to them (ideas, drawing etc) they basically own it from that point onwards. I agree though a little common courtesy to let the person know that they would be offering as stock would be nice.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

that's weird - when I was working with ocean she made it clear that any design ideas of hers were her property until I chose one and paid for the ring and that design would be then owned by me. She never laid claim to any of my ideas - that's really crazy that they would take ideas particularly those you don't use... and if they then "own" them can you not use your own ideas elsewhere? silliness.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra said:
that's weird - when I was working with ocean she made it clear that any design ideas of hers were her property until I chose one and paid for the ring and that design would be then owned by me. She never laid claim to any of my ideas - that's really crazy that they would take ideas particularly those you don't use... and if they then "own" them can you not use your own ideas elsewhere? silliness.

I went back to look at the T&C just in case i got it wrong (which is always a possibility with me :cheeky: )

I'll see if i can cut and paste the info.

Use of Information
We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to the use and assignment of all information regarding Site uses by you and all information provided by you in any manner consistent with our Privacy Policy. All remarks, suggestions, ideas, graphics, or other information communicated by you to us (collectively, a "Submission") will forever be our property. We will not be required to treat any Submission as confidential, and will not be liable for any ideas (including without limitation, product, service or advertising ideas) and will not incur any liability as a result of any similarities that may appear in our future products, services or operations. Without limitation, we will have exclusive ownership of all present and future existing rights to the Submission of every kind and nature everywhere. We will be entitled to use the Submission for any commercial or other purpose whatsoever, without compensation to you or any other person sending the Submission. You acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever material you submit, and you, not us, have full responsibility for the message, including its legality, reliability, appropriateness, originality, and copyright.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

hawaiianorangetree said:
Cehrabehra said:

I went back to look at the T&C just in case i got it wrong (which is always a possibility with me :cheeky: )

Use of Information
We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to the use and assignment of all information regarding Site uses by you and all information provided by you in any manner consistent with our Privacy Policy. All remarks, suggestions, ideas, graphics, or other information communicated by you to us (collectively, a "Submission") will forever be our property. We will not be required to treat any Submission as confidential, and will not be liable for any ideas (including without limitation, product, service or advertising ideas) and will not incur any liability as a result of any similarities that may appear in our future products, services or operations. Without limitation, we will have exclusive ownership of all present and future existing rights to the Submission of every kind and nature everywhere. We will be entitled to use the Submission for any commercial or other purpose whatsoever, without compensation to you or any other person sending the Submission. You acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever material you submit, and you, not us, have full responsibility for the message, including its legality, reliability, appropriateness, originality, and copyright.

hrmmm...I haven't waded into this thread as yet, but I have to admit the wording of this policy rubs me the wrong way.

I completely understand and agree that a design is the sole property and copyright of the vendor once they produce the piece, and you could of course extend that to as soon as the CAD is made up.

But if you just email them a collage of your ideas for a design (a 'submission'), ask for a quote, and than decide to go with someone else for your unique ering - than your 'submission' (design) is effectively their 'property for ever'. :?:

I am not the type who cares if someone copies my jewellery, infact I find it flattering.
However, I can see a number of scenarios where this could be uncool for folks.
Personally, I think it is quite a harsh policy, but I am grateful for now knowing it Hawaiian..

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Re: the intellectual property issue; more and more, companies are trying to cover their asses with paper. I am pretty sure this started out as someone at Tiff's wanting to not have a law-suit on their hands for, say, producing a line of bezeled rings when all of the people who had asked for bezels sat up and indignantly announced "Hey! That's my idea!" Their designs tend to consist of copyrighted classics, so ... since they can afford the legal fees and all, I'm guessing they think it's safer.

More ethical? No. What's worse is, more and more companies are doing it. I have one friend who works for a software company, who writes in his spare time. He's currently faced with a choice to either sign a new contract stating that any and all ideas which he thinks up while working for the company are property of the company (yes, even unrelated fiction in his spare time), or quitting in the middle of the recession. Good times ....

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am also working with BGD and awaiting for my final product. Communication so far has not been perfect and there are times that needs repeating and reminders, but overall I have been satisfied with their communication and customer service. They have been patient, willing to answer all of my questions and go out of their way to do so. That being said the number one thing I care about is the final product. If it meets my expectations I will be happy. If it exceeds my expectations I will be more than thrilled. If it does not meet my expectation I will simply return it and go with plan B. I think there is definitely room for improved customer service for almost any company. . This thread can only improve BGD in my opinion unless they got their heads so far up their ass like one other vendor I communicated with in the beginning of my search.

I will definitely create a thread and give my full review of my experience.

TGal again sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

hawaiianorangetree|1284025801|2704868 said:
Cehrabehra said:

Use of Information

That's what I call "lawyer-ed up". Very off-putting. :rolleyes:

And let's get real. I personally have read more PS posts saying "L. never got back to me" than I can remember.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

What made you revive a thread that is almost a year and a half old Danny?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Maisie|1330735174|3139606 said:

Lol I wondered the same :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I didn't! I didn't know it was an old thread either. :o

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Oh, I did. Sorry!

I must have opened a thread and clicked on a thread title from the right side of the screen.

I assumed it was a new thread now that I think about it because I think (thought?) old threads get locked automatically.

My bad!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hope that this serves people to know many threads can be activated, this is PS2. Threads are not locked down. Bummer this has to come up, but not your bad Danny. You didn't know...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Kaleigh.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh|1330740710|3139668 said:
I hope that this serves people to know many threads can be activated, this is PS2. Threads are not locked down. Bummer this has to come up, but not your bad Danny. You didn't know...

Kaleigh, they are shut down after a year! I know because I asked for threads over a year to be reopened; actually 3 in the past 6 months. :wink2: I had to ask for my cookie thread to be opened, the one I reopen every year so I am guessing since this was from 2010 it was reopened too, :Up_to_something: ???

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Imdanny|1330738304|3139640 said:

I didn't! I didn't know it was an old thread either. :o

oops! its happended to me in the past too :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results