shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to sell jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vr78239

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I''m new here and am very impressed with how nice and helpful everyone seems on this forum and all of the boards.

I was wondering what you all would suggest as the best way to sell some jewelry. I have some pieces from a previous relationship that I don''t wear and they are just collecting dust, so I figured why not sell them. I posted an ad & pics on craigslist but didn''t get 1 single email/reply. I don''t have anything really big or rare, (a 1.51 ctw tennis bracelet, .50ctw earrings and a pendant), but I figured I would get at least 1 inquiry. I''ve posted several times to no avail.

I also looked at "jewlelry buyers" in my local phone book, but most of them are looking for loose diamonds over 1ct.

I found a website called thingswebuy.com owned by Lippencott and they are supposed to send you a "safe pack" for you to ship your pieces to them and they get them appraised and make you an offer. If you don''t like it, they send the items back. If you do, they mail you a check & reimburse any insurance/shipping fees. I am VERY nervous about going this route for obvious reasons...anyone have any experience with them?

Any other suggestions for selling my items?! How have any of you sold any jewelry in the past? Your responses are very much appreciated! Thanks.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Welcome to Pricescope VR. This thread in FAQ should help you https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reselling-gems-jewelry-what-can-you-expect.17952/
35.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any pawn shops in your area? If you haven''t had any luck with CL (surprising!) have you tried lowering the price? They were gifts anyway, what does it matter how much you make off them, right?
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vr78239

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the link Skippy! It was very insightful. I think I may consider consignment.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
thingswebuy.com is reputable. I sold a diamond ring from my ex-fiance that I had laying around for 15 years to them. They do pay rock bottom but I had no interest locally and just wanted to dump the ring. I did use the safe pack. My neighbor had used them. I had sent them 2 pieces and the second I decided not to send so they paid me for the diamond ring and sent me back my unsold piece by insured registered mail. Again, you will ge a low price but its no hassle if you are just looking to dump it and at least get something.

pmptrading

Rough_Rock
Sorry to say this..... but if you got no enquires your prices was probably too high.....

Best thing to do:-

1) Get some buy quotes form jewellers/pawnshops
2) work out how much you want
3) get the middle price of 1 and 2
4) advertise in the classifieds

OR alternatively.....

use the BAIT and SWITCH method.....

Advertise something you don't have at a super keen price and simply say that piece has sold BUT you have some other pieces..... This technic was worked for many used car salespeople.....

Just an idea....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2008 6:58:49 PM
Author: pmptrading
Sorry to say this..... but if you got no enquires your prices was probably too high.....

Best thing to do:-

1) Get some buy quotes form jewellers/pawnshops
2) work out how much you want
3) get the middle price of 1 and 2
4) advertise in the classifieds

OR alternatively.....

use the BAIT and SWITCH method.....

Advertise something you don''t have at a super keen price and simply say that piece has sold BUT you have some other pieces..... This technic was worked for many used car salespeople.....

Just an idea....
Certainly you are NOT serious?

vr78239

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 6:17:14 PM
Author: asscherisme
thingswebuy.com is reputable. I sold a diamond ring from my ex-fiance that I had laying around for 15 years to them. They do pay rock bottom but I had no interest locally and just wanted to dump the ring. I did use the safe pack. My neighbor had used them. I had sent them 2 pieces and the second I decided not to send so they paid me for the diamond ring and sent me back my unsold piece by insured registered mail. Again, you will ge a low price but its no hassle if you are just looking to dump it and at least get something.
Thanks so much! Since the pieces are not really expensive or rare, I think I may try thingswebuy.com. At least it will be over and I will get something for them.
Yea, and I''m not going to do a bait and switch...
38.gif
I wouldn''t want someone to do that to me.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I love looking for great deals on used jewelry through ebay, diamondbistro, and idonowidont.com.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had pretty good luck selling on ebay. I seem to do better when I list items in a lot of "scrap gold or wear"...that seems to get noticed. It is also helpful to know the gram weight of the gold when doing this. Good luck!

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
How about donating them to a charity, then take the tax deduction?

Has anyone done this?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are going to donate something and take a deduction, you must have a "value" firmly established. Since you can''t seem to sell the items, the actual value is likely lower than what you''d like to sell them for. If you donate them, you cannot take an arbitrary amount of your choosing, but must be prepared to defend the amount via some proof of what these things were actually worth at Fair Market Value.
This is costly and time consuming and what you have is definitely not the kind of material for donation.

You have what nmany people have, used jewelry of no special importance. You''ll probably have to accept scrap plus something small for the diamonds or just never get a buyer interested. Most smaller, modern jewelry has little lasting value beyond this level of liquidity. It isn''t your fault or anyone else''s, but there is way more of this material for sale or hidden away in jewelry boxes than anyone in the market looking to own it to resell it. Scrapping it is the end game for most ordinary smaller items. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results