shape
carat
color
clarity

Been batting around an idea for a while...

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
ame said:
Getting one of these, plus two more plat sol bands...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/42644923/platinum-sveasol-set?ga_search_query=svea
with rounds, possibly using some of my own melee that I know is ideal cut. possibly with a sapphire in the middle or a ruby in the middle. Just wearing that daily and not having as much concern about rings? Maybe selling or locking up my regular set for special events.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ame, please quit thinking of selling your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesilk|1339603935|3215422 said:
ame said:
Getting one of these, plus two more plat sol bands...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/42644923/platinum-sveasol-set?ga_search_query=svea
with rounds, possibly using some of my own melee that I know is ideal cut. possibly with a sapphire in the middle or a ruby in the middle. Just wearing that daily and not having as much concern about rings? Maybe selling or locking up my regular set for special events.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ame, please quit thinking of selling your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, such an emphatic no!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone who has a bead-set platinum band with diamonds set in threes --- I don't think you would enjoy it. Too many places to focus attention and ETSY to boot?! :-o It seems like a bad gamble to me that you'd be able to magically relax w/a less expensive set. Why not try a silver or fakie set for awhile & see how THAT goes first?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems quite expensive for such tiny bands. Or am I just a miser :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that it's simple and dainty but Dh already vetoed it equally emphatically! For someone who claims to "not care" about such things, he sure has an ego about making sure we "keep up appearances" on that front (meanwhile we live in cheapy target clothes and generally look homeless!) If he's so worried about making sure people know we have a nice net worth, maybe I oughta upgrade. lol

I just like the look of it, the simplicity of it, the very minimal, cleanliness. And it being relatively inexpensive, I'd think I could mutilate it and not be that worried about it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea, but the shanks look too bendable. Like they would bend out of round constantly. I'd want them more sturdy. I think it's a cool idea though. Definitely less is more. ;))

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
They look so cheap and crappy!!!!!!
Just wear your plain band if you don't want to wear the entire wedding set or stack the plain band with your new Tiffany's diamond band...keep it simple and chic not simple and cheap!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll add my emphatic NO.

They look more like promise rings than a wedding set anyway.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd agree that they don't look like a good value for the $$ at all. Has the (rightful) Tiffany splurge screwed up your hinky meter? :tongue:

And here's what puzzles me .... if you're so concerned with maximizing value and honoring how much your original set has "cost you" already --- WHY WHY WHY aren't you *using* them? That's the *biggest* waste! Except, of course, for spending EVEN MORE $$ on ANOTHER set (that you won't wear.) Does this quest seem familiar to you? Repetition compulsion. If I could just have xxxx, it'll all be okay. If it was just yyyyy - I could relax. Etc. etc.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1339616877|3215596 said:
I think you should get a solid more plain band to wear when you don't feel comfortable wearing your set (but I DEFINITELY think you should keep your set--it's gorgeous and perfect now with the Tiffany band!). I think a bit of milgrain or some other tiny detail would keep it interesting for you.

Something like this: http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product5732.html Or this: http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/platmgr4info.html

Yes, good suggestions. I honestly don't think you'd wear the new set anyway.

Or like Deco said, get a dummy set and see how that goes first.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. I don't honestly think they look cheap or crappy, but thanks for all of your input. I do agree that I probably wouldn't wear them any more than I wear these.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1339616299|3215591 said:
I'd agree that they don't look like a good value for the $$ at all. Has the (rightful) Tiffany splurge screwed up your hinky meter? :tongue:

And here's what puzzles me .... if you're so concerned with maximizing value and honoring how much your original set has "cost you" already --- WHY WHY WHY aren't you *using* them? That's the *biggest* waste! Except, of course, for spending EVEN MORE $$ on ANOTHER set (that you won't wear.) Does this quest seem familiar to you? Repetition compulsion. If I could just have xxxx, it'll all be okay. If it was just yyyyy - I could relax. Etc. etc.
Oh I agree that it's ridiculous to spend more. But I would be selling this main set most likely and only wearing a tiny set.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sold my diamond jewellery and at the time I didn't think I would regret it.....but I do. Make sure you are absolutely certain before you go ahead and sell.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1339617972|3215606 said:

Oh I agree that it's ridiculous to spend more. But I would be selling this main set most likely and only wearing a tiny set.
Hey Ame, I mean this in the most respectful & loving way possible .... you just got the Tiffany ring ... why not just sit with everything as is for a while & get used to it. My husband and I have been doing some house projects this spring and the biggest mistakes we've made are when we get super excited in allow ourselves to be rushed into something. So our new rule is NO RUSHING. No allowing our enthusiasm and desperation to override common sense and due diligence. Maybe you've gotten a teensy weeny addicted to the search, or the cycle of hunt, excitement, catharsis, analysis, disappointment, bartering, discussing, compromising, re-thinking, more discussion, hunt. Where taking a break would BREAK that cycle and allow you to step back w/ fresh perspective at a later date. Is there a house project you're chomping at the bit to do? That could be done for the 1K or so you'd spend on the "new set"? That could be satisfying in a whole different way. One in which you could even get your hands dirty in the process & throw your innate creativity and superior care into it. Just an idea! :twirl:

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
NOOOOO! I'm sorry this is probably the meanest thing I've written in PS, but I think that's ugly. :errrr:

Diamonds are meant to be worn, and locking them up is a terrible waste. My philosophy is: divide the expense of the item by the number of times you wear it. That's how you determine if you wasted your money or not.

ETA: I wear my wedding set EVERYDAY regardless of any blood that will get on it. I also tie the wedding set to my scrub pants when I'm in the OR which freaks the nurses out to no end. But Ame, seriously, I don't give it a second thought. There is no bigger waste then a wedding set in a safe. You might as well bury it in your backyard if it isn't getting any use! Take it out. Wear it. Enjoy it.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I've been eying the same seller on Etsy. I love the two-stone version of their Svea ring. The only thing that stops me from buying is that I agree with what others here have said. It seems like a lot of money for a set of dainty rings... For the same price or a little extra, I could get a lot more from the pre-owned market... Not to mention, I don't know the quality of their diamonds. I like the idea, but I agree with what several previous posters have said.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanna see the Tiffany band. Just wear that.. Please don't sell your set, you will really regret it down the road.. Try to buy it back in today's prices?? It's insano...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1339620997|3215636 said:
ame|1339617972|3215606 said:

Hey Ame, I mean this in the most respectful & loving way possible .... you just got the Tiffany ring ... why not just sit with everything as is for a while & get used to it. My husband and I have been doing some house projects this spring and the biggest mistakes we've made are when we get super excited in allow ourselves to be rushed into something. So our new rule is NO RUSHING. No allowing our enthusiasm and desperation to override common sense and due diligence. Maybe you've gotten a teensy weeny addicted to the search, or the cycle of hunt, excitement, catharsis, analysis, disappointment, bartering, discussing, compromising, re-thinking, more discussion, hunt. Where taking a break would BREAK that cycle and allow you to step back w/ fresh perspective at a later date. Is there a house project you're chomping at the bit to do? That could be done for the 1K or so you'd spend on the "new set"? That could be satisfying in a whole different way. One in which you could even get your hands dirty in the process & throw your innate creativity and superior care into it. Just an idea! :twirl:
Im not really looking for anything. I think I'd call it being burned SO MANY TIMES that I simply don't trust anything or anyone anymore. I don't trust my Vatche to not lose my stone. I don't trust this Tiffany to not have any loose stones or damaged stones.

I felt like getting that tiny simple thing that has been in my Etsy favorites for two years would simplify it, take the drama out of it. Either way, Im not in a hurry to do anything. At all.

Kaleigh|1339637179|3215796 said:
I wanna see the Tiffany band. Just wear that.. Please don't sell your set, you will really regret it down the road.. Try to buy it back in today's prices?? It's insano...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/busted-delayed-reveal-tiffany-2mm-half-eternity-band.175849/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/busted-delayed-reveal-tiffany-2mm-half-eternity-band.175849/[/URL]

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1339640704|3215838 said:
[I don't trust my Vatche to not lose my stone.

Don't worry about that too much, Ame--you have 6 prongs on that sucker! You'd have to break or loosen 3 for the stone to be lost, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ame...have you considered talking to someone for the OCD about the rings? I bet learning some cognitive behavioral therapy would help a ton when you get into the funk about the safety of the set, the loss of the stone or the ring ,etc. I'm not saying this in a mean way, but saying it seriously because it may help you talk yourself out of obsessing.

I know others have said this countless times already, but I can't imagine having something that should be FUN and enjoyable to wear be such a negative, stress causing thing. I would probably also be tempted to sell them and just not deal with any of it... it's way easier to have out of sight than out of mind.

I remember reading some stat like 70% of the population has OCD in some way/shape/form, this is just a manifestation--something your brain likes to focus on. Rational thought such as 'it will take 3 prongs to break for the stone to fall out' means nothing because in your mind it COULD happen. Anyway, I hope that you can get some respite from it somehow. I wouldn't put more money into jewelry though... I'd just figure out what you really want to do with your set first..and hopefully in a way that can bring you some peace!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered buying a fakey stone for now? You can get really realistic sims and they are very inexpensive compared to a diamond. That way you get the sparkle without the worry of losing a diamond. I know we aren't allowed to discuss sims here but i'm not linking to any other sites so hopefully I won't get into trouble :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1339641657|3215846 said:
ame|1339640704|3215838 said:
[I don't trust my Vatche to not lose my stone.

Don't worry about that too much, Ame--you have 6 prongs on that sucker! You'd have to break or loosen 3 for the stone to be lost, right?
Well if I had all 6 prongs actually touching the stone....then I would feel less concerned. It snags on freaking everything. There are a few prongs with porousity in them, which also isn't comfortable either considering my history with rings with that "feature" in the past. I was not impressed with this workmanship, and having them fix it last time made it worse. I KNOW it was made by them, and I was EXTREMELY offended by one of our PS vendors telling me it's gotta be a fake since it wasn't up to the normal standard for their work. It changed the opinion I had of them, not of the person I normally deal with, but others within the organization. The original one that was made, with the exception of the chip in the metal, was the best one they did, and fixing that chip, they made it worse. I just have little faith at this point. And the jeweler that I got this through ended up not carrying the line after all of this, he was VERY unimpressed.

lulu|1339645101|3215880 said:
Confused. Are your rings insured?

Yes quite well. Doesn't matter. Does not console me. The history of poor workmanship and poor repair outcomes...it's a downward spiral.

Mara|1339652503|3215910 said:
Ame...have you considered talking to someone for the OCD about the rings? I bet learning some cognitive behavioral therapy would help a ton when you get into the funk about the safety of the set, the loss of the stone or the ring ,etc. I'm not saying this in a mean way, but saying it seriously because it may help you talk yourself out of obsessing.
I have actually had therapy, several times and several "varieties" though never electroshock :errrr: though maybe I should! For ME, it actually made it worse because now I am even more aware of it. Therapy has backfired on me so badly, so its not something that I will consider doing anymore. Just when I think I make strides I get a huge step backwards, like someone telling me how often channel sets get loose, or how hard it is to repair them. Or I get a huge snag of fabric under a prong because I made the mistake of brushing past a shower curtain or wiping gunk off my hand on my pants and my rings were turned. I am ridiculous when I let someone see my rings, Im so scared someone will drop it or be less careful. The locals from PS that have met me are brave souls.

But it's not just rings I have OCD with. I am even worse with my work. I hold myself to a ridiculous standard, as well as my printers, in part bec it's something for someone else, and not for me. I laugh bec for my own wedding I was so....not interested in making them perfect. I didn't care about paper for my own wedding. How's that for ironic.

I am in no hurry to make any moves. Its just something I've been debating. I wish sometimes I could wear rings on my right hand (imagine THAT nonsense) bec that would be a right hand thing for me. I like how tiny and simple it is. It doesn't look perfect bec it's not supposed to. My husband's opinion of this idea was surprising to me. How visceral that reaction was. And for a reason I was not expecting.

Maisie|1339668648|3215942 said:
Have you considered buying a fakey stone for now? You can get really realistic sims and they are very inexpensive compared to a diamond. That way you get the sparkle without the worry of losing a diamond. I know we aren't allowed to discuss sims here but i'm not linking to any other sites so hopefully I won't get into trouble :))
I am a member on said site ;-) though I don't post often, but I have a fake EC, and I might actually be MORE careful with it than my real stuff bec I know they're not as hard. I got it for my honeymoon bec I didn't want to bring my real stuff with me, and now I wear that one when I go to the really high end mall here bec it's the only way that they don't sic the police on me for "suspicious activity". The fact that these people cannot tell it's fake is either their lack of knowledge or its really just a good fake! Anyone that doesn't live RIGHT there they assume is there to steal stuff. Even when that person has several shopping bags from there already on their person. :rolleyes:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't make it over to SMTB much so I had to go look up your ring thread - that Tiffany eternity (half-eternity?) band is to die for! If you want to wear just one simple ring most of the time, wear that one!

It's hard for me to imagine you'd be satisfied with this etsy ring when you have something as lovely as that Tiffany band available to you. There's too much detailing for that tiny space, and I think the proportions would look funny on all but the smallest hands. T-gal hit the nail on the head when she compared them to promise rings... they look like they're scaled for teen-age hands that have less extraneous features (knuckles, bagging, the occasional wrinkle) that might compete visually with all that daintiness.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
If you're willing to spend additional money on this other set from Etsy, I would just put the money towards a new solitaire setting and go with someone that you know will get it RIGHT (is there a vendor you feel you can trust?). Then you will have a setting that you won't be worried about and a perfect Tiffany band. There will be no reason at all not to wear your gorgeous set.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1339681747|3215995 said:
I am a member on said site ;-) though I don't post often, but I have a fake EC, and I might actually be MORE careful with it than my real stuff bec I know they're not as hard. I got it for my honeymoon bec I didn't want to bring my real stuff with me, and now I wear that one when I go to the really high end mall here bec it's the only way that they don't sic the police on me for "suspicious activity". The fact that these people cannot tell it's fake is either their lack of knowledge or its really just a good fake! Anyone that doesn't live RIGHT there they assume is there to steal stuff. Even when that person has several shopping bags from there already on their person. :rolleyes:

Honestly, this sounds way beyond the realms of OCD and more like paranoia. I really don't want to be hurtful, but some of your posts are just downright scary. It sounds like it goes way beyond workmanship issues with your ring and has become something that has become debilitating to your life and your grasp of reality. It must also have an effect on how you interact with others. Have any of your therapists recommended meds?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
What exactly would be wrong, in your estimation, with my interaction with others?

Taken them, didn't help, gained a significant amount of weight from them. Not willing to tolerate side effects of the other medical options, still trying in vain to lose any of this weight.

As for spending the money, it wouldn't be additional money on top of what I own, something if not all, would be sold to cover this cost. And as for a vendor I would trust, at this stage...probably not. The majority of setters and benchies don't work at the magnification I would require and are unwilling to change their work methods to satisfy my requirements.

I think it's fascinating that everyone thinks that my feelings about this stuff, shared only on jewelry related fora and with a few very specific people in my real daily life, requires serious medical attention. I don't go telling random f'ing people this stuff in daily life.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results