shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Ok so there''s the celebrity names like

Apple
Moxie Crimefighter
Jermajesty (Jermaine Jackson)
Denim (Toni Braxton)
Audio Science

Have you noticed that everyday people are naming their babies something a little strange, too?
Share your unusual baby name stories.

I went to school with twins named Brandy and Tequila

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, your forgot to mention that Toni Braxton''s other son is named Diesel.

Let''s see.... when my babies were in the NICU there was another baby in there named Vizun Peace (pronounced Vision Peace), a boy. He joined his big sister named Raynebeau Bleu (pronounced Rainbow Blue). The reason I remember it is because one evening the baby''s father was rocking him and looked over to my son''s isolette (the names were posted on it), wrinkled up his nose and says, "what''s your baby''s name?" I said "Liam". He says in his biggest icky voice, "LIAM!?, LIAM!?, that''s a strange name for a boy!" I explained to him that Liam is an Irish name and a form of William, like the actor Liam Neeson. He grunts and goes, "Liam sounds like a girls name, I hope he doesn''t get teased!"

It was all I could do to bite my tongue and not say, "Oh and I guess a boy named VIZUN PEACE will NEVER get teased!"
20.gif

koko

Shiny_Rock
I knew a R.N. who said she had twins born at her hospital named "Lemonjelo" & "Oranjelo" because their mother craved lemon jello & orange jello while she was pregnant!!
21.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2005 11:54:02 AM
Author: koko
I knew a R.N. who said she had twins born at her hospital named ''Lemonjelo'' & ''Oranjelo'' because their mother craved lemon jello & orange jello while she was pregnant!!
21.gif

I had a client whose cats were:

"Gus" (the eldest and female...but perhaps named while they thought she was male)
"Jello" and "Pudding" (who were from the same litter and years younger).

I wasn''t expecting to be reminded of those cats while reading the babies'' names thread!

Deb

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby has a co-worker who named their little girl Moet Alize.....WOW. If you don''t know what those are, visit your local ABC liquor store!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
OK, no joke. One of my bridesmaids used to coach gymnastics camps in Chicago, and this little girl she coached was named Droffil-C. Yes, with a hyphen. It''s her father''s name backwards. And her older sister and brother had normal names, like John and Stephanie or something!!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
My friend''s sister has a theory about names.

She thinks that when people have plain, traditional names they give their children strange ones because they didn''t like having a boring name. But when people have an unusual name themselves they tend to give their children plain names because they hated having a wierd name when they were growing up.

There is also a theory that names move from one social class to another in society with the upper classes dropping the use of the name when the lower classes start calling their children by it too.

Personally I think it is heavily influenced by TV characters and the names they have on soap operas. We used to see tons of girls named Krystle when Dynasty was big in the ''80''s. Now not so much.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Tanuki, you are so right about baby names!! My dtr''s. name is Kristen & she was born just before Kristin shot J.R. on Dallas.....I thought I was being original, but she ended up going through school with lots of "Kristins!!"
20.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
when I was doing my pediatric rotation, we had twins named MyQueen and MyPrincess.

Not funny names, but we also had a family in which mom, dad and ALL 7 children's names were some form of the name Carl...Carla, Carlina, Carlos, etc...

We did a vision screening on kindergartners that same year and one lil 5 year old was named Lingerie, pronounced just like the lacy unmentionables! LOL

I remember hearing once on the radio back home in Chicago that there was a baby boy born to two HUGE Cubs fans with the last name Fields and they named him Wrigley Fields.

My old roommate used to work with a lady named I Soon Kil.

My sisters have normal names, but with unusual spellings. They for years have joked that they are part of the "No Keychain Club", because they could never find anything ready made and personalized in the stores like pens, keychains, stickers, etc with their names on it!

But the worst is my what my own mom ALMOST did to me...and she is serious...She was going to name me Violet. A pretty name, but it would have RHYMED with my last name. Thank goodness she chose Sarah...:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2005 2:41:48 PM
Author: tanuki
She thinks that when people have plain, traditional names they give their children strange ones because they didn''t like having a boring name.

She may be right...now. But I had TWO great grandfathers named, "John" and TWO great grandmothers named, "Mary". One set named their eldest daughter, "Mary" and their eldest son, "John". The other set picked "Ann" for the oldest girl and "George" for the only boy. Both sets had a, "Helen" among their daughters, though. They were probably too tired to think up new names in those days!

Deborah

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
One of my coworkers is also a teacher, and one of her students (3rd grade) is named SkyEyes (one word) except, apparently the parents filled out the birth certificate wrong and made her first name be Sky, and middle name be Eyes, so they are trying to fight with the school to get them to officially change it in thier records to SkyEyes.. and they have informed my coworker that she is only to call the girl SkyEyes, never Sky. Poor poor child..

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I know of twins whose names are Octavia and Echo.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Humph, how about naming your little girl "female", no I am not kidding. Or Taykedre for your son or Taykerdra for your daughter. It makes me nutty when I have to start a new list, I never know what to say or how to pronunce things.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2005 1:22:25 AM
Author: Matatora
Humph, how about naming your little girl 'female', no I am not kidding.

That was in a book many years ago. I am trying to place it. A (fictitious) woman had thought that the word was pronounced, "Fuh-Mah-Lay" and named her daughter that. I do not know if it is the same book (I think not) that a character names her children, "Dacron" and, "Rayon" and so forth because she cannot think up names and looks at the labels of her clothing. That book is by the author of Kinflicks. I do not recall her name or the name of the book.

I guess in my little world, fiction is still stranger than fact! Or maybe I just read too much! (My daughter says I do. She says, "You're ALWAYS reading!". She, on the other hand, raised with books and reading (her first word was, "book"), never picks one up.

How on earth did I get here? I may have a tangential thought disorder! No, no...it is the influence of James Joyce! I am just writing in his style. ;-)

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2005 7:56:30 AM
Author: AGBF
I do not know if it is the same book (I think not) that a character names her children, ''Dacron'' and, ''Rayon'' and so forth because she cannot think up names and looks at the labels of her clothing. That book is by the author of Kinflicks. I do not recall her name or the name of the book.

I had to look it up. The book is Bedrock by Lisa Alther.

Deborah

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
On the subject of baby names , what do you all think of the name Zeke? It isn''t too strange but deffinately not common.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 8:15:35 AM
Author: mingagreen
On the subject of baby names , what do you all think of the name Zeke? It isn''t too strange but deffinately not common.
I personally don''t like it. But whatever floats your boat.

When I did my pediatrics rotation there were a couple of unusual names -- Heavenly Destiny, the twins Tiffany and Cartier (I am not kidding!), and one little girl whose parents decided to name her after all her grandmothers -- LillyAnneRose - and that was just her first name.

There were a couple of boys whose names were initials - their real names were initials -- T.J. and A.J., but they weren''t related.

My cousin is a teacher and one of her kids was named Amen. She was told by the mother she named him that because that''s what she screamed when he was finally born after a difficult pregnancy. Um, OK.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My son had a Zeke in his first grade class. There were also two boys named Zack in the same class. All three were a handfull. I used to volunteer in the class and the teacher always wanted to know how their behavior was when they were in my group. At the end of class she wanted my "Zeke & 2 Zack" report" as she called it!
1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
another theory is that the celebs name there babies strange names in the public eyes. but behind closed doors, they have normal names. this way the kids can go to school without people knowing they are famous.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
I do like unusual names but some are so out there! If it is hard to pronounce I don''t like it!! We named our Daughter Eden Grace, which I have never met anyone named Eden, except that chick on an old soap who was with that guy named Cruz. Can''t think of what it was called now but that isn''t where we got the name. We didn''t know what we were having when I was pregnant with her and one boys name we had was Zander, which I am glad we didn''t use b/c I really don''t like it now. So I am pregnant again and ofcourse we have 2 girls names which we totally agree on, Sophia Raine or Mya Raine, but we are back at not being able to agree on a boys name, the only one we both are considering is Zeke. We have a tough situation too if it is a boy, my DH is a 4th, and his name is....are you ready................................Wilbur! What would you do? Continue with tradition and carry on the name or end it here?? Tough one I am leaving it up to DH, and he is having a hard time deciding.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 10:03:45 AM
Author: mingagreen
I do like unusual names but some are so out there! If it is hard to pronounce I don''t like it!! We named our Daughter Eden Grace, which I have never met anyone named Eden, except that chick on an old soap who was with that guy named Cruz. Can''t think of what it was called now but that isn''t where we got the name. We didn''t know what we were having when I was pregnant with her and one boys name we had was Zander, which I am glad we didn''t use b/c I really don''t like it now. So I am pregnant again and ofcourse we have 2 girls names which we totally agree on, Sophia Raine or Mya Raine, but we are back at not being able to agree on a boys name, the only one we both are considering is Zeke. We have a tough situation too if it is a boy, my DH is a 4th, and his name is....are you ready................................Wilbur! What would you do? Continue with tradition and carry on the name or end it here?? Tough one I am leaving it up to DH, and he is having a hard time deciding.

wilbur as a middle name? would that work?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I like Zeke. Its unusual, but not WEIRD.. I think you should let Wilbur go.. :)

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It''s nice to continue the tradition. What is DH''s middle name? Would you consider calling him by that name? Perhaps calling him Will would be a good compromise for a child named Wilbur. You know, some of those old fashioned names are making a comeback. Just look at your choice of Zeke. I''m meeting a lot of little boys named Owen, which was my great uncles name.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Well my Dh''s middle name is Clark, which is what he has been called since birth so Wilbur doesn''t come into play very often, some people don''t even know that is his name!! Infact I didn''t know his name was Wilbur until one day I got ahold of his ID!!!! I wouldn''t mind having another Clark!! His father goes by Bill, Will or Wilbur. It is frustrating becauce he lives right next door and we get alot of his mail and calls for him!
I am really leaving this desicion up to DH, I totally understand either way!!
I agree about older names becoming popular again. When we chose Grace, which is also a family name we thought we were being somewhat unusual however it is very popular now. I just don''t want my child to be called on in school and have 3 other kids with the same name answer!!! There are so many wonderful classic names!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
My fiancee''s best friend and wife just named their little baby girl Fenway. His whole family is obsessed with baseball his name is Duffy. Poor little girl... Not as bad as some of the ones y''all listed above though!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My mother teaches special needs children and one of them is named Brezzy.

It's unfortunate that she has to go through life with that name because her mom was illiterate and it's pronounced Breezy as in a windy day.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Nicolas Cage just had a baby boy and named him Kal-el Coppola Cage. Can you imagine having a hyphenated name?!

Also, Kalel is what Superman''s real name was...

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Kal-el? Are you serious? Isn''t that supermans name when he''s on his planet?

Anyway, There''s one different name I really like, it''s Garren - what do you think? Is it to "beat me up on the playground"?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Treysar - I don''t think Garren is "beat me up on the playground" at all. I think it sounds like someone who would DO the beating up. :) Is that better or worse? I have never heard of that name.. but I like it!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
I used to work in Labor and Delivery in an inner city hospital....and here are some of the names that have stuck in my head over the years...and they are no joke:

Meconium (the woman liked the way it sounded) In case you don''t know what it is, it is baby poop which is floating in the
amniotic fluid- which the baby could aspirate

Urine (pronounced your-inney) A woman read that off her flow sheet and apparently, liked it a lot.

Boya and Boyb A woman gave birth to twin boys, and thought we had named the babies for her- (Boy A and Boy B)- and the
names stuck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results