shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Gifts

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The baby visit thread got me thinking. What is the common courtesy on sending baby gifts? I know that providing a gift is your discretion but do ya'll typically send a gift (if you don't visit in person) even if it's baby 2, 3, 4 etc? It's common now to get a "baby picture" post card in the mail or see it posted on facebook. Was just curious what ya'll do if it's for friends that you aren't that close to.

Thanks in advance!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there's a shower or sprinkler for babies after first one, I don't give a gift. My friends still send baby announcements because not everyone is on FB. I sent out cards for my kids. Everyone told me they loved getting the cards and many still have them as keepsakes.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
PierreBear said:
The baby visit thread got me thinking. What is the common courtesy on sending baby gifts? I know that providing a gift is your discretion but do ya'll typically send a gift (if you don't visit in person) even if it's baby 2, 3, 4 etc? It's common now to get a "baby picture" post card in the mail or see it posted on facebook. Was just curious what ya'll do if it's for friends that you aren't that close to.

Thanks in advance!

If they have a baby shower or a baby sprinkle (which is a mini shower for a second, third etc.), give a gift. If they mail a birth announcement, shoot them a text congratulating them.

If you're close (as in you see them regularly), then you can give them a gift such as diapers, baby books, clothing, bottles, etc.

If you just got an announcement and you're not very close, no gift should be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it. I don't send gifts unless very close. Announcements are just that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are "just because" gifts - not associated with shower or sprinkle..A couple times I gave a $25 buy buy baby GC and attached as many buy buy baby coupons I could find. Sometimes I give a gift of diapers.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom said:
I don't get it. I don't send gifts unless very close. Announcements are just that.

We send announcements for the same reasons we send Christmas cards- to stay connected and share news. I like getting them, I assume others do as well. No gift expected, at all.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I was an oldest grandchild and so benefited from the "no gifts after the first baby" rule. It seems unfair to both my siblings and the many other younger siblings in the world. I tend to send little gifts to all the babies whose parents I feel close to, even if it is just a "Peter Rabbit" book, but don't routinely give gifts at any time to those I don't feel close to!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't buy baby gifts unless I am close to the person having the baby.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy baby gifts when I am close with the family no matter if it is the first, second or third child.
The exception is when work throws a baby shower on the day I am there I will buy a gift for my coworker even if not close to them.

One of my young friends (she really is a lovely person but a bit spoiled case in point) registered for baby gifts and refused to accept gifts that weren't on the registry. That was pretty funny and shocking. Her friends were all warned so we all got her gifts from her registry but her MIL bought her a number of pretty dresses for the baby and was quite unhappy with her when she sent them back. :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results