shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to be buried with your jewellery? Poll.

Will you wear any jewels in your grave?

• Yes, all of it! Ha ha!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, one or two things.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • No.

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • I'm not going to be buried.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Not buried but something interred with ashes.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I read a news article today about a family who went to visit a grave and found it was disturbed by attempted grave robbers. The coffin was cemented in so nothing was nicked, but still. Vile.
It made me think about my own funeral and what I will wear. I'd like to be buried, no embalming, in a pretty dress with my plain wedding ring. All the nice jewellery will go to my daughter, but I'd like to wear the w-ring.

If you are to be buried, will you wear any jewels?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I want any pieces I should be lucky enough to own to be passed onto another jewelry lover.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm planning on being cremated...all my jewelry will go to my daughter/kids. I see no reason to take it with me. I look
at all the people who come on PS and are very happy to have inherited a piece of jewelry. I hope to pass on some of that happiness.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1398728074|3662238 said:
+1. During my lifetime, however, I hope to be buried BY my jewelry! :lol:

Hee - Laurie, I love you.

I'm on more or less the same page: I'm a believer of the adage that you can't take it with you. I'll either leave it to a younger jewelery lover, should I be lucky enough to know one in my old age, or have it sold to either add the proceeds to my estate to be divided amongst the intended recipients, or donated to the charity of my choice. I'm just hoping I have enough of it by then to qualify for one of those "From the Collection of ..." catalogs from the likes of Doyle & Doyle or the like .... :lickout:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1398728074|3662238 said:
+1. During my lifetime, however, I hope to be buried BY my jewelry! :lol:

I thought that is what it said when I read the post title are you going to be buried BY your jewellery, now that would be cool ie that you have so much it is literally falling on top of you. I see no reason why I need to use it when I am dead so I will be passing it on....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No burial for me, I plan on leaving all of my jewelry to my (hopefully) future children. My DH and I each want to be cremated and when we're both gone mixed together and spread in the pond where we got married. That's my idea anyway and DH says fine, lol.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No concrete plans yet, but I'm guessing that I'll be cremated. No matter what the method, I certainly won't be needing my jewelry and I'd much rather have someone else enjoy it (like my children).

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know whether I'll be cremated or buried. Either way, I'm not taking my jewelry with me.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if it is common practice but 7.5 yrs. ago when we had to plan a funeral and burial for my mother-in-law, the funeral home had a policy forbidding burial with jewelry other than a simple gold band or simple necklace. Nothing of much value. They said too many times jewelry was stolen even before the casket was sealed and the local cemetery had the same requirement for burial to dissuade attempted grave robberies. Horrible but reality.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that would be the vainest thing ever if I get buried with my jewelry. Why stop there? Let me empty out my bank account and get buried with all my cash, too.

As a lover of antiques and their history, I would love if my things get passed down for others to enjoy the history behind them. That's what I have always felt, and is one of the excuses I give myself for my little shopping addiction. :oops:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I have 2 grand daughters who I hope will be very proud to inherit my pieces!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I voted no. I hope one or both of my sons will have a daughter(s) someday and they will enjoy my little collection. Or they can sell it and enjoy the cash ;))

I complimented an older woman recently on her beautiful plat & diamond band. I know her quite well & said that her daughter will be lucky to have it someday. She's quite funny & told me: Hell No! It goes into the drawer with me! My daughter needs to find her own man to buy her a damn ring :lol:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A burial topic I haven't considered yet!?!?

I know what casket I want. Have been trying to get DH to come visit burial plots with me so we can find the right location. All sorts of details already sorted out.

But this!?!?

I'll have to give it some thought! My initial thought was that I'd love to pass it on for others to enjoy but then I started thinking that my wedding band (very slim plain gold band) or maybe a simple special necklace would be nice. The things that mean the most to me but have very little monetary value and really wouldn't mean much to anyone else.

DH says I need to not think of such things. I point out that we never know when something could happen and we think of these things now so they don't have to be worried about later. I'd like to have everything taken care of so that when DH or I die, the other won't have the stress of planning a burial on top of the emotions of losing a spouse. (He'll be glad some day that it is all done!)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
No- the jewellry will definitely be passed on to the girls... I am enjoying the jewellry for now... :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
So I actually had a discussion about this not long ago with my DH.

As a Jewish person, we do not believe in being cremated, the body is not ours so we shouldn't damage it. It is the same reasoning why Jewish people don't do tatoos. So burial is my only option.

As far as jewelry goes I want to just be buried with 1 piece, I want to have a simple gold band with my DH, DD and DS's names in it placed on the pointer finger. When we got married, tradition dictates the groom puts the ring on the pointer finger because the vein flows to the heart from that finger. You later on after the ceremony switch to your ring finger. As corny as it sounds it's important to me.

All my other jewelry will go mostly to my DD with a few pieces to go to my DS. I also have a bracelet that has been sautered on my wrist since I was 16. It is nothing fancy but I told my DH to cut it off and perhaps try recreating it or at least using the gold for something else. No point in getting buried with it.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1398753496|3662472 said:

As a Jewish person, we do not believe in being cremated, the body is not ours so we shouldn't damage it. It is the same reasoning why Jewish people don't do tatoos. So burial is my only option.

As far as jewelry goes I want to just be buried with 1 piece, I want to have a simple gold band with my DH, DD and DS's names in it placed on the pointer finger. When we got married, tradition dictates the groom puts the ring on the pointer finger because the vein flows to the heart from that finger. You later on after the ceremony switch to your ring finger. As corny as it sounds it's important to me.

All my other jewelry will go mostly to my DD with a few pieces to go to my DS. I also have a bracelet that has been sautered on my wrist since I was 16. It is nothing fancy but I told my DH to cut it off and perhaps try recreating it or at least using the gold for something else. No point in getting buried with it.

SB, I have a question about Jewish people and tattoos. Adam Levine, of Maroon Five, says he is Jewish, but he is covered in tattoos. Just wondering what the difference in belief might be. I'm curious about all religions.

As for me, ashes to ashes...dust to dust. I will be cremated and my ashes will be mixed with my furbabies who have passed before me. Right this very minute, I'm planning my cremation and will soon have it paid for. Most of my fine jewelry has been sold and what is left is being liquidated as we speak. DH and I do not have children and I will leave anything of value to my sweet nephew.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
loriken214|1398754281|3662478 said:

SB, I have a question about Jewish people and tattoos. Adam Levine, of Maroon Five, says he is Jewish, but he is covered in tattoos. Just wondering what the difference in belief might be. I'm curious about all religions.

As for me, ashes to ashes...dust to dust. I will be cremated and my ashes will be mixed with my furbabies who have passed before me. Right this very minute, I'm planning my cremation and will soon have it paid for. Most of my fine jewelry has been sold and what is left is being liquidated as we speak. DH and I do not have children and I will leave anything of value to my sweet nephew.

Crap I just typed out this long response and then I closed my window out :???:

Anyhow I would think that Adam Levine is either non practicing or a form of Reform Jew since he has tattoos and is marrying someone who isn't Jewish. Just like any religion you have people who practice at different levels of observance. I would assume that tattoos and marrying a Non Jew are OK for him, but other Jewish customs he may or may not incorporate into his life.

If you have a tattoo you can't get buried in a Jewish cemetary. Perhaps he doesn't care? I believe now if you do have a tattoo and still want to be buried they can remove a few layers of skinned that are inked. For Adam that would be a lot of skin :knockout: Also if you are a Holocaust survivor an exception was made. I might be making a generalization here but from my experience regardless of how a Jewish person practices the majority aren't inked and I do think, at least for my generation, that is a direct effect of the Holocaust. I know my Grandparents would never forgive anyone in my family for getting a tattoo, but other stuff they would let slide.

Sorry for the novel and I hope that answered some of your question.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isn't passing on jewelry to the kids the best excuse to buy more jewelry? ;)) :naughty:

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
The funeral law here in Finland actually forbids putting non-organic material to a grave, but it's still very common for small metal objects (rings, dainty necklaces) to end up in a coffin.

When I'm dead I wish that someone else (our kids, if we'll have any!) will get pleasure from wearing my jewelry. ::)

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Well of course if I had my way I'd be treated like one of those Pharoahs from Ancient Egypt and all my jewelery would be buried with me in my own personal pyramid. But hey the reality is that my children have already made a vague list of the pieces they'd like to inherit in time. They each chose exactly the pieces that I thought were the most them. Uncanny.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I won't be buried with anything, my jewellery will go to my husband, aunts and parents if they outlive me, to my nieces if they don't.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot pick several options but I plan to be cremated and believe my jewels should be worn and enjoyed by others (hopefully within the immediate family).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO. That is when you'll be able to pry my gems "off my cold dead fingers". LOL!!! No, I will pass them off to my grand children before I am dead so there will be no squabbling after.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd like to be buried in my plain wedding band but I'll leave everything else to my daughter and nieces.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The only piece I would want to be buried in would be my wedding band. However since my SO is designing it for me I also feel that it may be nice for it to be passed on to future children or relatives. Everything else I would want to pass on. I love the pieces I inherited from my family, and I want to bring that excitement to my kids and their kids!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
loriken214|1398754281|3662478 said:

Lori -- Feel free to not answer or say you'd rather not share. I don't want to be intrusive...

Are you okay? I hope you are just planning for the distant future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results