shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone watching Glee?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
The premiere was on tonight and it sucked me in. I ended up going to Fox on Demand to watch the pilot afterward. It''s being plugged as the best new show of the season.

Washington Post Review

We didn''t have a ''glee club'' at my high school. Did your school have one and were you in it?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh ME!! I watched the first episode a few weeks ago to prep, and I LOVED it!!

I think it is hilarious and heartwarming - a great combo for my taste!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
YEAHHH!!!

Don't stop... believin....

=P When I heard the Journey song, i totally had to watch it!

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
I have seen the pilot and loved it. I kept replaying the scene where they are watching the rival high school sing Amy Winehouse''s rehab. I have the episode that came on last night recorded on dvr, so I will watch it tonight. Looking forward to it...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Shoot! I forgot to watch. One of my friends works on the show, and I tried to remember to watch it. It was good, though? I''ll have to try to catch next week.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this show!! Its writer is from my area and the show is based on his highschool experience at a highschool not too far from me. As a former band geek myself, this show really hits home, lol!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
YES I AM!!!!!

DH was the high school jock in show choir, so he ejoys watching it with me!! It is so funny!!

One of my friends is a choir teacher and I got her hooked on it after the pilot show! It's a riot to watch it with her!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched it and and enjoyed it, but...

personally, I wish they had played it a bit more "straight," without the over-the-top cartoonishness. Right now it has all the subtlety of an old Batman episode -- I mean, they may as well add thought and sound effects balloons.
20.gif
Or on-screen emoties -- I guess that would be today''s equivalent!

But then again, I''m guessing they''re not aiming the show at those of us who remember the old Batman show!
2.gif

I love the premise and I''ll probably tune in again. It''ll be interesting to see whether it will grow on me, or whether I''ll grow tired of it first.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 10:31:27 AM
Author: VRBeauty
I watched it and and enjoyed it, but...

personally, I wish they had played it a bit more ''straight,'' without the over-the-top cartoonishness. Right now it has all the subtlety of an old Batman episode -- I mean, they may as well add thought and sound effects balloons.
20.gif
Or on-screen emoties -- I guess that would be today''s equivalent!

But then again, I''m guessing they''re not aiming the show at those of us who remember the old Batman show!
2.gif

I love the premise and I''ll probably tune in again. It''ll be interesting to see whether it will grow on me, or whether I''ll grow tired of it first.

It''s funny, because that is some of the stuff I love about the show!! I''m tired of serious dramas these days, so this is like a breath of fresh air.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I sang in my school''s equivalent of the glee club, and this show is like an over-the-top version of my life. Love it!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
I just finished watching it this morning, and I loved it! I''ll have to see if I can find the pilot somehow.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I watched the pilot a couple months ago and then again when it played this week. I dvr''d the new one but haven''t watched it yet. DH and I both really like the pilot, but I''m all about cheese! It''ll be interesting to see how it develops.

Who else already hates the wife??

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 12:06:10 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I watched the pilot a couple months ago and then again when it played this week. I dvr''d the new one but haven''t watched it yet. DH and I both really like the pilot, but I''m all about cheese! It''ll be interesting to see how it develops.

Who else already hates the wife??
Amen to that! I caught half of the first show last night and really enjoyed it.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 9:44:31 AM
Author: Catmom
I love this show!! Its writer is from my area and the show is based on his highschool experience at a highschool not too far from me. As a former band geek myself, this show really hits home, lol!
Catmom, we're from the same area!

Wanna talk about this show hitting home....

Not only was I in show choir all through high school, I was in the show choir that this show is based off of haha. The writer, Ian Brennan, though about 10 years my senior, went to my high school and was in the show choir with the same director I had a few years later.

For those of you who saw the pilot, they mention that the previous glee instructor was dismissed due to inappropriate relations with a student... yeah thats based on truth too, our director was fired my junior year.

Oh and we sang "Don't stop belivin" my sophomore year as well, so its really creepy to hear another arrangement of it on all the commercials.

And for those of you commenting on the cheesiness of the show... its really not that far from the truth. Sequins.... and jazz hands... cheese is unavoidable. Haha oh show choir... I don't even know what else to say about the subject. It is simply indescribable.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Callisto, that is so neat that it is based on your high school! Do you have any funny stories and/or school legends to tell us that you think would make it onto the show?!?!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 1:58:07 PM
Author: kiett98
Callisto, that is so neat that it is based on your high school! Do you have any funny stories and/or school legends to tell us that you think would make it onto the show?!?!
Oh my gosh I''m sure I could come up with a whole season of funny stories. My friends and I have joked about compiling a whole book of stuff that happened while we were in it and sending it to the writer and see if anything would make it.

Lets see ridiculous things that have happened during performances....

I slipped off a riser and wiped out in front of a field house full of parents and students (prolly over 1000 people) at a music concert. My friend behind me stopped dancing and singing and just laughed at me.

A friend of mine had his fly open during a whole show. Another girl had her dress duck taped in the back cause the zipper split right before a performance.

My friend accidently had his keyboard set on the organ setting during one song of a show and it sounded TERRIBLE. Like the worst noise you can possibly imagine. And it took him about halfway through the song to realize what the problem was.

Lets see, people forgetting the words to solos and swearing into the mic and storming off stage in tears.

I''m sure I could think of some more, and that doesn''t even start to mention ridiculous things from rehearsals and outside of school.

Wow I really might regret this but here''s a link to a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onemRDi2FgY for those who want to see the show choir the show is based on.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2009 1:50:20 PM
Author: Callisto

Date: 9/10/2009 9:44:31 AM
Author: Catmom
Catmom, we''re from the same area!

Wanna talk about this show hitting home....

Not only was I in show choir all through high school, I was in the show choir that this show is based off of haha. The writer, Ian Brennan, though about 10 years my senior, went to my high school and was in the show choir with the same director I had a few years later.

For those of you who saw the pilot, they mention that the previous glee instructor was dismissed due to inappropriate relations with a student... yeah thats based on truth too, our director was fired my junior year.

Oh and we sang ''Don''t stop belivin'' my sophomore year as well, so its really creepy to hear another arrangement of it on all the commercials.

And for those of you commenting on the cheesiness of the show... its really not that far from the truth. Sequins.... and jazz hands... cheese is unavoidable. Haha oh show choir... I don''t even know what else to say about the subject. It is simply indescribable.
Callisto, that''s so cool!!!

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
Crap! I totally forgot to watch it this week.

Thanks for the reminder!
3.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Oooo! Me! Me! I am loving this show.

It makes me miss high school choir, although we were a competition jazz choir and didn''t do all the dancing. If we had had show choir, though, I would have been all over that!

I wonder if this show is going to cause a resurgence in popularity of show choirs?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I saw it months ago on hulu, and am looking forward to it. but I''m kinda a sucker for tv musicals like pushing daisies.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I love this show! The cheesetasticness of it all...the cheer coach cracks me up.

And yes, I already hate the wife.
20.gif
2.gif

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 5:34:16 PM
Author: sunnyd
I love this show! The cheesetasticness of it all...the cheer coach cracks me up.

And yes, I already hate the wife.
20.gif
2.gif

Agreed... she really irks me.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I definitely don''t see how he ended up with the wife... it makes you think that the nice girls don''t always come out on top! Did you see the previews to see her sinister sister getting in on the ruse?!?!?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I watched the new episode last night...still love it! I was surprised by the wife''s appt, I thought she had been LYING not just mistaken.

btw-Do you remember those "coach" shorts?? I didn''t know they still made them.
14.gif

Are the actors really singing?? I mean obviously it is lip sync but did they record with their own voices?

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 9:47:50 AM
I watched the new episode last night...still love it! I was surprised by the wife''s appt, I thought she had been LYING not just mistaken.

btw-Do you remember those ''coach'' shorts?? I didn''t know they still made them.
14.gif

Are the actors really singing?? I mean obviously it is lip sync but did they record with their own voices?
From what I''ve read, yes they are doing their own singing.

However, they definitely record more than one track for the songs. For example there were 7 people singing gold digger yet there were about 12 parts going on at certain points. That really is one of the few things about the show that bothers me. In real life, most songs sound terrible the first time through. They should have to work at sounding good. I think that would really add humor and a sense of reality to the show too.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 9:47:50 AM

btw-Do you remember those ''coach'' shorts?? I didn''t know they still made them.
14.gif

I''m watching!! Hehe, and I''ve even got FI watching!

And I thought the same thing about the wife, that she was just lying!

I did think the secret performance in this last episode was really (too) raunchy. And a few things were really ridiculous to me, like when the Finn and Rachel were having their little "picnic" and he had to lay her down to kiss her, then what happened next... all kind of silly to me. Anyway.
37.gif

I can''t say I''m excited about the previews to come though. They show the wife and her conniving sister planning to continue the "pregnancy," the wife has a fake belly and all sort of stuff. And they show the cheerleader convincing Rachel to replace the teacher with a different choreographer. Just some silly things I think. We''ll see where it goes.

I do reeeeally like the singing though. I actually watched the pilot back in the spring when they first aired it - haha and the Jouney song is what caught me in all the previews. From what I''ve read, most of the actors are really singing. There were a few instances where I highly doubt it was that actual person, ex. the 3 cheerleaders auditioning - there''s no way that was even her voice at all. But from what I''ve read, most of the main characters do their own singing. They pre-record in a studio, but it is them. According to imbd, all cast members do their own singing... (I just don''t believe those cheerleaders were actually singing...)

Did yall know the girl who plays Rachel is actually known for her Broadway performances? She is so very talented, in my opinion.

Check out widipedia on the show - it''s a pretty interesting read. Talks about how he came up with the concept, how he wants it to remain reality-based and not a sing-song musical type-show, and how they do their singing and recording.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 10:44:04 AM
Author: Callisto

From what I''ve read, yes they are doing their own singing.

However, they definitely record more than one track for the songs. For example there were 7 people singing gold digger yet there were about 12 parts going on at certain points. That really is one of the few things about the show that bothers me. In real life, most songs sound terrible the first time through. They should have to work at sounding good. I think that would really add humor and a sense of reality to the show too.
Haha, yeah like when the teacher was "rapping" during practice???
20.gif
His lips didn''t even match the song.

Or the cheerios auditioning... and all the harmony they had going on - hahahaha she doesn''t lip synch very well. At least Rachel lip synchs well.
9.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Umm I thought there was only one episode so far - Tuesday night? I watched that. I loved it. But now I''m worried I missed a show?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
There was a premiere during the summer in addition to Wednesday''s show. You can watch them both on Fox''s website.

I also have to say I LOVED their take on abstinence-only sex ed! One of my favorite blogs, Feministing, just put up a post quoting this part of Wednesday''s episode:

Rachel: Did you know that most studies have demonstrated that celibacy doesn''t work in high schools? Our hormones are driving us too crazy to abstain. The second we start telling ourselves that there''s no room for compromise we act out. The only way to deal with teen sexuality is to be prepared. That''s what contraception is for.

Quinn: Don''t you dare mention the "C" word.

Rachel: You want to know a dirty little secret that none of them want you to know? Girls want sex just as much as guys do.

Male student: Is that accurate?

LOVE this show!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results