shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone use an epilator?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was reading about these yesterday and am tempted to buy one, purely to try and save some money instead of paying for waxing. Are they as sore as I have heard bearing in mind my pain threshold is virtually zero!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Confession - I have one but I have never managed to use it for more than 2 sq inches of my leg. It hurts! And, what is even worst, you are doing it to yourself. I remember holding the thing about a cm from my leg and not being able to get it closer, simply because I knew it would hurt. At least, at a salon, someone else is hurting you and all I have to do is keep still
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s what I''m afraid of Lady Disdain! I remember trying to wax myself and I rang DH crying as I was afraid to pull the strip off! If I could actually get over the pain it does seem to be quite a useful device!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, and I rarely use it because it turns my legs into plucked chicken skin for at least a week, after which I'm stubbly again.

I know a few girls who have them (mostly online buddies) and pretty much any of us who are pale have the plucked chicken problem. I don't know if pale skin is more delicate or if it just irritates everyone's skin that much and only pale skin shows it for a week, but it will definitely make hair follicles obvious. It will also tend to break hairs more than waxing, as well as not catch the super short ones, so you won't be as smooth as you would be waxing.

On the other hand, if no one is going to be examining your legs closely either visually or tactilely, or if your skin is dark enough to hide the chicken skin, you can't beat not having to shave or shell out for waxing. For everyday skirts and shorts and capris, it's your friend.

It is not your husband/boyfriend/fiance's friend, unless he has exfoilation problems and you want to get out of scrubbing his back when he showers.
27.gif

Hope that helps!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use one on my upper lip... OMG it HURTS! I dread this monthly chore.

It does get the job done, though, if you can bear the pain, and it's much faster than tweezing/going in for threading - and I only have to do it once a month. I'd much prefer waxing but I've yet to find one my facial skin doesn't react poorly to
40.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 6:44:54 PM
Author: yssie
I use one on my upper lip... OMG it HURTS! I dread this monthly chore.

Eeee! I used it on half an armpit once and it took me days to get that far. I can''t imagine using it on my face! You poor thing! Even the bikini area was a walk in the park next to the searing, raging, eye-blinding pain of trying to use it on my under arms. I''m so glad a pair of tweezers is all I need to tackle the occasional face hair that gets too dark!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I have one, I use it quite a bit, but less than I did when I first got it. I find it good, it does the same job as waxing. It's not that it hurts more exactly, it's that it takes longer and you're inflicting the pain on yourself. Like pulling a plaster off slowly! Like waxing, you get used to it. I don't have one of the ones with the cooling yoke on it, I'm sure they're less painful again.

I use it mostly after a wax to get rid of those short hairs that the waxing doesn't get.

I have a normal enough pain threshold I suppose. I did try it on my underarms once and I will not be doing that again.

Needless to say, I'm pale. But I don't get the plucked chicken effect any more than with waxing
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks girls. Think I might buy one and see how I get on. Porridge-the one I was looking at has a cooling pack so hopefully that will be less painful. And from reading your posts, think I might refrain from using it on my underarms. Ouch!

Off topic-Porridge-are you in mourning for Gerry Ryan too. Still in shock over it!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 7:17:55 PM
Author: bee*
Off topic-Porridge-are you in mourning for Gerry Ryan too. Still in shock over it!
I''m gutted bee*! I listened to him all the time, I thought he was great. I can''t believe it. I heard it today on Moncrieff, and then there was nothing on all the other stations or on the RTE website, and I thought it was some kind of horrible misinformation or prank.

His poor family, he has young kids. There''ll be nobody else like Gerry.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
It does get the job done, though, if you can bear the pain, and it''s much faster than tweezing/going in for threading - and I only have to do it once a month. I''d much prefer waxing but I''ve yet to find one my facial skin doesn''t react poorly to
40.gif

Random thought- have you tried sugaring? That''s just sugar, water, and lemon juice, from what I have heard, so maybe it would be gentle enough for your face?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am pale and of Irish descent (meaning hairy) and I cannot live without my epilator. I use it on my underarms every morning to catch the few loose hairs and once or twice a week on my legs. The first time I did my underarms, I bled it was so bad. But I kept it up and did it everyday and now it hurts less than shaving since I don''t nick myself. I also have a lot fewer sweat problems since the roots are gone. The legs still hurt, but less than waxing since I don''t do them that often. I have also noticed the hair has gotten finer over the years (I have been using my epilator for 7 years).
I think the biggest thing is how often you use it. Places I do frequently, I don''t get chicken skin, but places I don''t use it barely at all do. For me, the bikini line, which I almost never do, hurts like the fires of hell, the legs, which I do weekly, are unpleasent but not unbarable and the underarms, which I do everyday, I barely feel.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2010 8:36:57 PM
Author: Galateia

It does get the job done, though, if you can bear the pain, and it's much faster than tweezing/going in for threading - and I only have to do it once a month. I'd much prefer waxing but I've yet to find one my facial skin doesn't react poorly to
40.gif

Random thought- have you tried sugaring? That's just sugar, water, and lemon juice, from what I have heard, so maybe it would be gentle enough for your face?
I'll have to try this! Will come back on how it goes next week..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one and use it on my face-- they vary from brand to brand on how good they are on the first pass and how gentle they are. If they are gentle, but you have to do too many passes to get the hair picked up it''s no good cause you are going to get a burn. I''m fairly good on my pain threshold and feel it is less painful than waxing or threading.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 6:31:48 PM
Author:bee*
I was reading about these yesterday and am tempted to buy one, purely to try and save some money instead of paying for waxing. Are they as sore as I have heard bearing in mind my pain threshold is virtually zero!

If your pain tolerance is close to Zero, then using an epilator will do you no good. Keep the money you''d spend on it and keep waxing :) I have one and have used it for 3 years now, and I am glad I did though. The hair grows finer and more sparse... Almost hairless on my legs now... I am happy about that! But yes, at first, it took me a good month to get used to that kind of pain. Luckily, it only lasts a few minutes... I am not sure of I can say this on the board, but I .... hmmmm yeah, I use the epilator to take care of the "down there region" completely.
7.gif
It does hurt. :razz:

PS: Mods, please feel free to edit this to whatever you want. I don''t want to offend anyone!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 9:09:40 PM
Date: 4/30/2010 8:36:57 PM

Author: Galateia

It does get the job done, though, if you can bear the pain, and it''s much faster than tweezing/going in for threading - and I only have to do it once a month. I''d much prefer waxing but I''ve yet to find one my facial skin doesn''t react poorly to
40.gif

Random thought- have you tried sugaring? That''s just sugar, water, and lemon juice, from what I have heard, so maybe it would be gentle enough for your face?

I''ll have to try this! Will come back on how it goes next week..

Just go to "sally Beauty" and get HARD wax. I use that on my face cause it is MUCH gentler than soft wax and you do not need any strips, so right there you save a bundle ( darn those strips are much Denieros! ). When the wax harden, you lift the corner, count til 3 and .................. yank it! No red, no bumps.

Oh... And --> get yourself REAL Aloe Vera JUICE/GEL at the natural food store and applie to your freshly waxed areas and it will soooooothe... that is my favorite part after I did the deed lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve used one for years on my legs (I have very little underarm hair, so I will use it to rip the ones that pop up here and there.) It never really hurt for me. It stung at first, but now nothing...it actually feels good.

When you first start it, you''re ripping a lot of hair out at once. The hair starts growing in at different speeds, so if you are consistent, it hurts a lot less because it''s not pulling as much hair out at once.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
wow- some of you ladies are brave! I would never wax because I''m afraid of the pain - I will now NEVER consider one of these! :)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 9:04:36 PM
Author: Porridge

Date: 4/30/2010 8:49:53 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I am pale and of Irish descent (meaning hairy)
Say what?!?!?
You don''t find this to be true? I get 3 seperate hairs growing out of the same pore all over my legs. My dermatologist at first though I had a hormone problem until he ran tests and met my dad. My father''s family is Irish, as are most of the people we works with, and any one of them have more hair in their eyebrows than my husband has on his whole body.
Maybe it is just the ones I know though

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/30/2010 10:57:44 PM

Say what?!?!?
You don''t find this to be true? I get 3 seperate hairs growing out of the same pore all over my legs. My dermatologist at first though I had a hormone problem until he ran tests and met my dad. My father''s family is Irish, as are most of the people we works with, and any one of them have more hair in their eyebrows than my husband has on his whole body.
Dark irish? I remember reading about the three distinct irish "lines" and I believe this fits nicely with the "dark" line.

I suffer the consequences of Mediterranean ancestors.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

Say what?!?!?
You don't find this to be true? I get 3 seperate hairs growing out of the same pore all over my legs. My dermatologist at first though I had a hormone problem until he ran tests and met my dad. My father's family is Irish, as are most of the people we works with, and any one of them have more hair in their eyebrows than my husband has on his whole body.

My mother's side of the family is Irish, and my dad is Scottish, and I definitely am not hairy. I remember being shocked the first time I saw a movie (from the UK) that gave me a chance to compare. I demanded of my then-BF if that's what women 'were supposed to look like' and he admitted that most ladies he had known did not look like a 12 year old boy trying to grow his first beard (this is MY paraphrasing of the discussion, for the sake of delicacy), and that most had considerably more body hair in general.

I have never shaved my upper legs, nor ever needed to, as the hairs are sparse, baby-fine, and so blond as to be invisible.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Say what?!?!?

Eh, no, I do not find our population as a whole to be hairy. It''s not a term I''ve ever heard anyone use to describe us. I have to say I think you''re misinformed there.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all the reviews. I think I''m going to be brave and try one. I figure if I can sit through waxing I might be able to sit through this (or am I delusional?). Last question, does anyone know what brand is the best?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 7:24:25 PM

I''m gutted bee*! I listened to him all the time, I thought he was great. I can''t believe it. I heard it today on Moncrieff, and then there was nothing on all the other stations or on the RTE website, and I thought it was some kind of horrible misinformation or prank.

I know. I''m the same. Still can''t believe it even today. Did you see the late-late last night-they were all nearly crying.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 6:32:16 AM

Say what?!?!?

Eh, no, I do not find our population as a whole to be hairy. It''s not a term I''ve ever heard anyone use to describe us. I have to say I think you''re misinformed there.

I''d have to agree with Porridge. The Irish as a whole are not a hairy race. Never heard us descrived as such either.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 11:43:13 AM

I know. I''m the same. Still can''t believe it even today. Did you see the late-late last night-they were all nearly crying.
ya it was so sad. 2fm''s newsreaders voice cracked today too a couple of times while reading the news. They''re saying he rang in on thursday night saying he''d be out sick. Sick/indigestion type symptoms would be classic signs of an impending heart attack. You''d hope it was quick and in his sleep. Mornings will never be the same
7.gif
it is just so sad.

On a brighter note, 5 minutes left for ye to get 7 points against Toulouse!! I''m rooting for ye, I don''t want to be up against Toulouse in the final
2.gif

sorry all! There''s about 3 threads in one going on here!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 12:25:18 PM
Date: 5/1/2010 11:43:13 AM

ya it was so sad. 2fm''s newsreaders voice cracked today too a couple of times while reading the news. They''re saying he rang in on thursday night saying he''d be out sick. Sick/indigestion type symptoms would be classic signs of an impending heart attack. You''d hope it was quick and in his sleep. Mornings will never be the same
7.gif
it is just so sad.

On a brighter note, 5 minutes left for ye to get 7 points against Toulouse!! I''m rooting for ye, I don''t want to be up against Toulouse in the final
2.gif

sorry all! There''s about 3 threads in one going on here!!

Yeah I hope he was sleeping when it happened and the he just went peacefully. Not sure how they''re going to find someone to do the show-there is no replacement
7.gif

and damn those french!! We failed badly!! We''re not playing great recently.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have not used it myself, but a friend had one. While it gave her the hairless feel she desired, she said it hurt like hell.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 5:21:42 PM
Author: HollyS
I have not used it myself, but a friend had one. While it gave her the hairless feel she desired, she said it hurt like hell.

Thanks Holly. That definitely seems to be the main thing that I keep hearing. If you hear screams over your side of the world you know I''ve gone ahead and tried it
3.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I have a silk epil. I'm of the super pale skin ancestors. Irish/Danish. It works "good enough" for me for my legs. I went about 5 years with using it alone on my legs. It is a bit time consuming. Shaving is definitely quicker. However, I'm the sort of person who only shaves my legs when I think of it-which is about once a month to every 6 weeks or so. The silk epil is great because I can go just as long, and feel much less aware of the stubble. My hair is on the dark blonde side, so I feel like it is likely less obvious unless one is really looking. It does cause ingrown hairs if I don't also exfoliate. I have found that I'm less likely to have the little hairs and uneven growth if I first use it after not shaving for at least a 10 days or so. The hair does not need to be long at all for it to get plucked, and the longer it is the more it will hurt. It is a little surprising at first, but the best suggestion I have is to do it straight out of the shower when the pores are a little more open.

While I have to initially brace myself for doing my legs, I get used to it pretty quickly and "just get it done." Now maybe I'm a wuss BUT I can not bring myself to use it ANYWEAR more delicate.

The friend who first turned me on to it uses it everywhere...
I suppose like waxing, you could take an aspirin or something first. I stick to waxing (by someone else) for the bikini zone and shaving for my armpits.

ETA: Like waxing, the hair that grows in is much finer from not having been shaved off-which is part of the increased ingrown hair issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results