shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone like to garden?

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Anyone a gardener on here? I like to grow vegetables, roses and tropical plants. The hard part is cleaning it up and care once it is planted. I got pretty torn up this morning with the beauganvillas. They are the toughest to trim. No matter how hard I try, I end up cut up all over my arms and hands and feet. ;(

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Just spent yesterday and today in the garden harvesting fresh blueberries (8 pints so far). A couple of weeks ago I had a pretty decent crop of raspberies as well. The strawberries no so good. The bunnies have been eating my flowers so if you know of any they don't like I would appreciate if you could let me know.

My neighbors spent a lot of money on forsythia a few years ago and have simply neglected them. DH and I have been trimming the branches that are on our side and so I decided to stick about 30 cutings into a bucket of water and over half of them have rooted and I put them into pots today. I like getting free plants because of lazy neigbors.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We grow a lot of vegetables and herbs. We're using the square foot gardening technique for some of the veggies, and it's been really great.

Our landscaper grows some beautiful flowers for us. :cheeky:

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I have a vegetable garden, but it's been a little neglected this year due to my upcoming wedding! :lol:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
gem_anemone|1340827869|3224600 said:
I have a vegetable garden, but it's been a little neglected this year due to my upcoming wedding! :lol:

This is the exact reason I don't have one this year :lol:

Now that the wedding is over, however, we're doing some bed prep for a garden next year. We have already started on fruit around the property- peaches and apples- that won't bear anything for another few years. Our blackberries and raspberries seem to be doing just fine, the blackberries are ripening right now. We also have some mature pear trees that do bear fruit every year, but they aren't very tastey.

My MIL has tomatos and cukes out the wazoo, so I won't be growing any more of those, but hope to put in strawberries, green beans, some herbs, pumpkins, for next year.

This year is a flower and bulb year for our yard in terms of planting; I am putting in climbing roses on the fence line, hydrangeas in front of the porch, starting some periwinkle groundcover on the hills I don't want to mow anymore, and rescuing some rose of sharon bushes that are being overwhelmed by weeds. I'd like to do bulbs in the falls, but I haven't gotten that all worked out yet!

I don't really have much of a green thumb, but I am trying to develop one, so there's been quite a bit of trial and error! We are re-claiming a historic property that was pretty well neglected for the better part of 50 years, so we do a lot of clearing, saving old trees from vines, re-stacking the stone walls...one small project at a time!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Nope! It's one of those things I really wish I could enjoy...but I just don't. I'd love to have a vegetable garden and beautiful flowers everywhere (well, in theory...I'm in a condo for now). But really, I can't get into it. I hate how even with gloves on dirt still manages to get under my nails. DH hates gardening as well, so we'll have to get a gardener once we have a house.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should clarify: When I saw *we* have vegetable and herb gardens, I really mean DH maintains vegetable and herb gardens and I enjoy the fruits of his labor. :cheeky:

This thread reminds me of a picture I recently saw on Facebook:
540887_454777691207178_1333489017_n.jpg

lulu

Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few gardeners here including me. I'm strictly flowers-mostly perennials. I average about twelve hours every week at home, but I'm maintaining my neighbor's garden She died unexpectedly in December and her husband is not a gardener. I'm also a Master Gardener volunteer, so I do some public gardening. I'd rather be gardening than doing anything else.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1340839678|3224750 said:
I'd rather be gardening than doing anything else.

I would gladly "donate" my yard to you...

lulu

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1340839851|3224752 said:
lulu|1340839678|3224750 said:
I'd rather be gardening than doing anything else.

I would gladly "donate" my yard to you...

And if you were anywhere in northern Michigan I'd take a crack at it!

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow master gardener. Very Impressive Lulu :appl:

I love to garden as well but my dogs keep me so busy. Had lots of trouble with my tomatoes this year. I had a grow box of them and my dogs kept eating them when they would go in and out of the house. They use the diversion tactic, of some going this way and others going that way.
The good thing is even though I never got any to eat out of my grow box, we had fenced off a part of the yard that they had ran the grass out of. Low and behold after it was fenced off, wild tomatoes grew everywhere. I have a bumper crop I have been enjoying now that it is fenced off from them. :twirl:

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
aviastar|1340834687|3224685 said:
gem_anemone|1340827869|3224600 said:

This is the exact reason I don't have one this year :lol:

Now that the wedding is over, however, we're doing some bed prep for a garden next year. We have already started on fruit around the property- peaches and apples- that won't bear anything for another few years. Our blackberries and raspberries seem to be doing just fine, the blackberries are ripening right now. We also have some mature pear trees that do bear fruit every year, but they aren't very tastey.

My MIL has tomatos and cukes out the wazoo, so I won't be growing any more of those, but hope to put in strawberries, green beans, some herbs, pumpkins, for next year.

This year is a flower and bulb year for our yard in terms of planting; I am putting in climbing roses on the fence line, hydrangeas in front of the porch, starting some periwinkle groundcover on the hills I don't want to mow anymore, and rescuing some rose of sharon bushes that are being overwhelmed by weeds. I'd like to do bulbs in the falls, but I haven't gotten that all worked out yet!

I don't really have much of a green thumb, but I am trying to develop one, so there's been quite a bit of trial and error! We are re-claiming a historic property that was pretty well neglected for the better part of 50 years, so we do a lot of clearing, saving old trees from vines, re-stacking the stone walls...one small project at a time!

My wedding is in just over three weeks and most of the stuff I grow you don't really harvest until late August early September so I thought...hey why deprive myself of it for the whole summer when there's not much gardening work around the wedding? My blueberry bushes have been producing with the little water I gave them hehe ;-) My friend gave me a raspberry bush this year that I put in. There are some berries on it! I have an apple tree, but I don't take care of it. It didn't produce last year or this year so far from what I can tell. I'm slightly worried we killed it by neglecting it. :(

I have tomato and pepper plants in raised beds which should do alright. They are finally all in the ground, staked, and I even got a new watering system for that bed. I have some watermelon, squash, okra, peas, cucs and some other stuff in other beds that aren't getting enough water. I need to replace the watering system on those too. I did harvest some peas though last weekend!

The rest of my yard is a flowering garden, but it looks more like a jungle! I'm looking forward to getting that under control after the wedding and honeymoon. The previous home owner was a master gardener. I really have trouble keeping up with all that is in the yard LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results