shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know anything about peacocks?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
A peacock has decided to take up residence in my parents back yard. It''s quite large and is close to a farm, so we are guessing this is where it came from? At first it was a novelty but now not sure what to make of it...it''s all alone and not sure if it''s just going to stay permanently. My daughter is 18 mo''s and should be interesting when we visit or stay over.

Anyone know anything about this or tips on what if anything we should do?
It''s very pretty, but just kind of unusual to have it be a permanent fixture!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Well...they''re loud and they poop a lot. They''ll also eat your flowers. But I don''t think you have to do anything. They pretty much take care of themselves.

They are very pretty - is it male or female?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
how unusual! :) I imagine it''s beautiful but I find all birds to be kind of freaky - but I love their feathers :razz:

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
We had a few. They are loud but really nice birds. We just let them be and they took care of themselves. It''s quite sad that it''s alone though...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty, nasty and noisy.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
No they aren''t.

My uncle breeds them for stately homes and parks in England.
I can ask him if it needs any particular care, but he isn''t on email, so it might take a day or two to get hold of him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are like jump jets the way they shoot upwards and like to roost up very high, don''t park your car underneath him.....
23.gif

Smo

Shiny_Rock
Aren''t they super noisy? My bf told me that when he lived at home (near Taronga Zoo in Sydney) they would regularly have visting peacocks and they make a screeching/screaming noise at night? A really horrible sound and worse than the local possums!

ps. he has been known to wind me up about these type of things so I am not sure how true this story is!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love peacocks!! I don''t think they harm/attack humans. From my prior experience with them, as soon as they spot a human from the corner of their eye, they take off. My uncle in India lived adjacent to a forest, and every morning we would have peacocks dancing on our terrace. And it left pretty feathers behind every day! You''re so lucky!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s male b/c it has the big fan of feathers. My sister did say it''s very loud, but didn''t mention the poop! It apparently can fly up to the roof..a strange site, this big bird on the roof.

I''ll try to get a picture on here later!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong, but I think the females look very different - drab feathers and no fantail? Peahens, I think.

DD''s first day out was when we went to register her birth. The office was in a medieval street with a park at the end of it. The park''s peacocks were wandering up and down the street outside the office. I think they were just about the first thing that she took notice of.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2010 8:54:59 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
I could be wrong, but I think the females look very different - drab feathers and no fantail? Peahens, I think.

DD''s first day out was when we went to register her birth. The office was in a medieval street with a park at the end of it. The park''s peacocks were wandering up and down the street outside the office. I think they were just about the first thing that she took notice of.
You''re right. Peahens are boring and rather ugly. If they have the classic pretty feathers, it''s a peacock. They dance to attract the women.

If I were a peacock, I''d dance to attract the men!
11.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My grandparents use to have peacocks on their farm. They just kind of roam around and do their own thing. They are indeed loud and like any bird will poop a lot (good fertilizer though for the yard?). You don''t really NEED to do anything. You can call the farm and see if they are missing a peacock though!

In the city I used to live, there was a big group of peacocks (and peahens) that would roam around the residential areas near the zoo. They just just jump up over the fence and would wander off and do their own thing for hours, days or weeks. No one seemed to worry about them too much and they would wander back to the zoo at some point again. When I was out riding my bike though I would often have to stop for a peacock crossing the road!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results