shape
carat
color
clarity

Any PSers doing martial arts?

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I just signed up and I am curious who else in Pricescope are doing martial arts. I have friends who are doing Tae Kwon Do, others in Jiu-jitsu, and some more in Capoeria. I know that picking the martial arts you choose to learn is an individual thing. If you do martial arts, what are you learning, or have learned? Any advice for a novice?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds cool.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luckyeshe said:
I just signed up and I am curious who else in Pricescope are doing martial arts. I have friends who are doing Tae Kwon Do, others in Jiu-jitsu, and some more in Capoeria. I know that picking the martial arts you choose to learn is an individual thing. If you do martial arts, what are you learning, or have learned? Any advice for a novice?
Wing Chun or Tai Chi.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I have taken self defense classes, but not proper martial arts. I thought about it in high school, but some of the movements ran countrary to my step dancing and as I was competing at the time, that really wasn't going to work. I would love to do capoira (sp) but I am not flexible enough. I would love kick boxing and have considered krav magah (sp) the Israeli one as well. At the moment, my schedule does not allow for classes and the one my gym offers aren't that interesting anyway.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Sorry lucky, no advice. I am sure there are others who have had lots of experience.

I would love to take something in the martial arts. I wonder what would be age appropriate in the 40's?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did kickboxing and karate for over ten years, during college and after. I loved them both, and my sensei was a skilled street fighter as well, so we learned a lot of really great knife fighting skills. If I were to get back into it, I'd probably try Brazilian jiu jitsu, but my martial arts days are done. Now I just want to make it into the roller derby.

Advice? Simple:
- Respect the dojo.
- Respect your sensei.
- Respect the process.

And don't forget your mouthguard. ;))

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes.

I have studied Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do and am currently a first degree black belt in a hybrid style. We combine elements from Tang Soo Do, Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, Haganah, Muay Thai, Judo, etc. Pretty much any fighting or self defense aspect that my Master feels can add to our knowledge base is incorporated into our style.

My dojo has become my second family. There are weeks that I see my Master more than I see my husband!

I did not begin training until I was 27 years old. Martial Arts restored the self confidence I lost in adolescence. I am physically and emotionally stronger because of my studies. I find that nothing seems insurmountable now. I have the ability to clearly think through and plan the process of laborious tasks.

I was an athlete growing up, but there aren't many organized sports for adult women. I was physically bored and quickly getting more and more out of shape. An acquaintance of mine told me what her style of karate did for her and it piqued my interest, so I researched schools in my area. I have to say I got VERY lucky with my first try. Now that I know more about styles/instructors, etc., I don't know that I would have had such success elsewhere.

If a school doesn't feel right - trust your gut! There are millions or martial arts schools in the world, it might take a while to find yours.

Remember, everyone has had a first class, a first week, a first test. Everyone has felt like a foolish newbie. No one knows how to tie the belt right away. Listen, bow, say "Sir!" and "Ma'am!" and treat others with respect. If you have a question about mat etiquette, ask your classmates.

Good luck. I hope you have as wonderful and life-changing an experience as I did!

ETA As an example of my mindset change, I recently ran a half marathon. I have NEVER enjoyed running. I did it for a friend. The training was daunting until I realized that I would be running for less than half as long as my final Black Belt Test - and it suddenly seemed like no big deal!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Munchkin :wavey: can you kick Kenny's BUTT for me? :lol:

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I am involved in mixed martial arts. That means we learn a hybrid style. It's important to be comfortable with at least three different diciplines: one for stand up fighting, one for throwing (so you can get your opponent on the floor), and one grappling style.
Mine are MuayThai, Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There are a few other styles which I can incorporate if need be.

My advice: Be patient. This stuff does not all come naturally straight away. I was lucky to pick up the footwork pretty much from the start, but it took me weeks to start blocking properly (I got concussed a few times as a result).

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I have done karate and really enjoyed it.
I was not a sporty kid at all, so it was pretty amazing to me that I took up karate when I was 24, and kept going for 7 years.
I then got caught up with work, and stopped going.
A few months ago, I decided to go back to karate and see if I still enjoyed it - and I did!
Unfortunately, I haven't been in the last month due to illness and injury (not karate related), but will be back.

Advice for a newbie - just give it a go. Don't be afraid - everyone has been a beginner at some stage.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!!! Today was my very first day in karate. My classmates were wonderful and the instructor was great! I felt very intimidated and overwhelmed at first, but everyone was so welcoming that I became more comfortable a bit quicker that I thought.

I will take all of your advice to heart and keep them all in mind. And Munchkin thank you for sharing your story. It is similar to where I am right now in my life and I feel that this is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results