shape
carat
color
clarity

Any PS Golfers??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
My fiance loves golfing, and since we just moved to a new town where we don''t know anyone I told him I would start trying to play so he could have someone somewhat fun to golf with. Plus, I think it would be fun to learn since he loves it so much!

I had my first lesson today and did much better than I thought. Its hard getting rid of my "softball swing", but I had fun! I did MUCH better with my driver than irons though. Still, after lesson 1 I feel pretty good and FI was really proud of me.

Do any of you golf? Any tips? How did you get started golfing?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I'm basically in your same boat - I took a class though my university when I was in grad school just for kicks because DH loves to play and wanted a "built-in" golf partner. He takes me out on beginner courses every now and then throughout the summer, so I suppose I can say I golf, but I'm still in pretty novice territory. I did take lessons as a kid when my mom discovered a love of golf, but nothing stuck.

Hmmm...tips. Does your FI typically walk or ride when he golfs? I had the HARDEST time finding a women's stand bag when I first started playing, but now I see them everywhere. My biggest tip if you'll be walking a course is to get a LIGHT bag, and make sure your shoes and glove fit properly. For me, fussing with my gear is the #1 way for me not to have a good time. Unfortunately, I'm really no use when it comes to picking out clubs. I'm an average height, so I have no problem playing with a cheapie Wilson set (I loved them because they're pink for breast cancer) that are fine for the time being/frequency that we golf. At the time I got them, I had no idea if I'd even like the sport, so I didn't want to invest a lot into them, and since I'm still shaky as a player, my clubs aren't exactly what's hindering my game. Of course a set of fitted clubs would be nice to have, but I'm just not at the level where I feel it's worth it yet.

DH and I usually only golf 9 because I get frustrated easily and 18 is still a long time for me (though I can do 18 if we have a cart - the game goes so much faster). Sometimes we end up playing best ball for awhile just because my shots aren't very long. At first, I felt like I was letting him down because I wasn't some brilliant golfer right away, but I think we've both quickly learned the value not trying too much all at once. It's totally a mental game, so when that frustration creeps in, things fall apart quickly.

I think the biggest golf tip is just to enjoy it! I'm sure you'll learn a LOT from your lessons, and if you're enjoying them, that's a great sign! The one thing I really liked about my class was that I actually had to learn the rules of golf/etiquette which can be really helpful - so if your lessons are teaching you more form than game, I'd pick up a rules guide in the clubhouse and read up a bit. DH gets kinda annoyed by people who aren't following the rules (things in terms of courtesy, not like counting strokes) and I've picked up on that, too. It is a PITA when the group in front or behind you doesn't know what they're doing, and just reading up a bit helps you from making novice mistakes like putting the flag down wrong or tromping around on the greens.

I also subscribed to Golf for Women for a year. It was more of a catalogue/travel zine than anything having to do with golf, but there were some interesting tips and articles that I enjoyed and it got me a little more pumped up about golfing. There are a lot of watch ads, beware! Golf mags will have you wanting a Tag Heuer or Rolex like no other, haha.

Awesome for rocking your irons!! I'm fairly confident with my putting (though DH says my form is awful), chipping and driving, but for some reason, I swing an iron like it's a log. My other major problem area is "aim" - I think I'm lining up toward the green, but then I'll really be pointed toward someone's backyard. Not cool. So that's what I'm working on this summer. :)
ETA: I totally misread. YES! I understand about the irons, then! I think the reason I like the driver is that it's more balanced and it's a longer club. With my irons, somehow the club turns in my hands on the backswing and so I don't hit the ball square. It's maddening. So while DH hits these beautiful shots with the iron than do the nice arc, all my shots are like torpedos - fly straight and low to the ground.

Yay for golf!! Keep enjoying it!!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Tips. One big one. DON'T START
9.gif

I was one of those people that made fun of golfers for the longest time, then I actually tried it and was addicted. My only serious piece of advice is to not take it too seriously and enjoy being on the course with your FI and friends. If you start focusing on scores, some new training aid that will magically make you better or even just trying to be too perfect, it can get frustrating in a hurry.

I prefer to walk when I play and have found that one of the pull carts is really worth it.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OMG we are the same person, I swear! My husband loves golf and I started playing to hang out with him more:)

I have ''softball'' swing and it is so tiring because you are swinging so hard. I really focus on relaxing and not hitting hard, keeping a slow tempo. Trust me, you can''t physically swing that hard for long so you will get over it one way or another
9.gif

Right now I am working on the slow tempo, keeping my right knee flexed (so I rotate my right hip in a fixed position instead of swaying it to the side), weight on the balls of my feet, shifting my weight from the right side of my right foot on the back swing to the inside of my right foot on the down swing, and lastly, keeping my head down (stare at the ground where the ball is, even after its gone) throughout the swing (I tend to look towards the target in my down swing).

For me I learn much better playing than at the driving range, we play at a Par 3 course (Pitch and Putt), usually only 9 holes to keep it short until I get better. I have played a real course only twice.

Most importantly, have fun!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good for you--golf can be a lot f fun. Stick with your lessons initially (and annually for brush up) and practice practice practice. Get a pair or two of good golf shoes, some nice light weight clubs, and away you go!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results