shape
carat
color
clarity

Anti-virus software recs?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully Storm will see this. I'm still in the process of setting up my new Lenovo laptop computer and I need a great recommendation for an anti-virus software program to purchase for it. I've done AVG in the past, but I think there might be something better and simpler to use. Help is greatly appreciated. I prefer something that doesn't require a lot of input from me. :read:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
eset nad32 would be what I would get if I was buying a subscription.
http://www.eset.com

avast and avg while spammy are the better of the free ones.
avast used to be a lot less spammy then avg but is now worse.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
these days almost any software you download online including those from oracle and adobe are infested with spamware installers so run malwarebytes anytime you install anything.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
At work we use kyzpersky(sp?) and tech guy runs malware when something seems suspicious.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
UrsTx|1419741401|3808589 said:
At work we use kyzpersky(sp?) and tech guy runs malware when something seems suspicious.
Kaspersky its ok I used to sell it and run it a few years back but getting support even sales support from them was next to impossible so we dumped them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, I will check those out. I haven't heard of either one.

I just balked at the renewal fee of $60/year that AVG just sent me. Knock on wood, I've never had an issue so far with my laptops. I'm happy to pay for a superior product.

ETA: oh my, I guess $59 a year is the norm.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been running trend micro for years and so far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues of any kind.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondrnglover|1419770785|3808659 said:
I have been running trend micro for years and so far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues of any kind.
trend micro is generally very stable and rarely causes problems however they do have a reputation as being behind some of the other players in updating definitions.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1419793654|3808795 said:
diamondrnglover|1419770785|3808659 said:
trend micro is generally very stable and rarely causes problems however they do have a reputation as being behind some of the other players in updating definitions.

Thanks Karl, I did not know this!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind $59 for 2 years, that's suitable. My kids are grown, and no one else will be using the laptop but me. :bigsmile: I'm pretty much used to the small quirks of Windows 8 already. It's not that bad after you clear away everything you aren't going to use and get rid of the free trial products, etc. I like my desktop as clear as possible, and the bare minimum for the start page.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hear so many bad tales about Windows 8 that I will stick with 7.

I totally agree with Storm that Nod32 from Eset is the best virus checker on the market. I have used it for probably 10 years now and it has kept me safe.

Wink

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have Windows 8.1. I just finished installing eset NOD32. It has exactly what I require and nothing more, and is well priced. ;)) Thanks again for the recommendation. I wouldn't have found this one without help.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took the plunge and got a lenova yoga too!!! (excited). I got a year of the kapersky for free with the laptop, so thinking of using that.
I guess after that I will need to decide whether to stay with it or change.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
part gypsy|1419965619|3809658 said:
I took the plunge and got a lenova yoga too!!! (excited). I got a year of the kapersky for free with the laptop, so thinking of using that.
I guess after that I will need to decide whether to stay with it or change.
its free so go ahead and use it is what I would do.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I downloaded ESET. Everything seemed fine, then I tried to do a Windows update to 8.1 (mine is 8.0 after all). Now I can't do anything at all with it. It won't load anything. Won't tell me anything. I can't get to a System Restore. Bleah. This is the part I hate about setting up a new laptop. I must have said "yes" to something I shouldn't have, or something. I'll figure it out eventually.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: All fixed! I accidentally left the free trial of Mcafee on the computer while simultaneously having ESET working in the background and trying to download Win 8.1. Doh! Got rid of Mcafee and all went well again. ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I started download of Kapersky it made me get rid of mcaffee and reboot, so that was good.

I am a longtime pc user, even back to DOS days. I HATE this Windows 8.1 interface!
I'm writing down all the apps that are predownloaded, and once I figure out what they are, going on a uninstall party to clean up the interfaces (and hopefully memory). They have something that looks like a regular desktop, but it is incomplete. None of it is insurmontable but it just looks so busy and I will need to figure out how to get to places from where I "thought" they were.

Couldn't even find the shutdown button (been using ctl alt delete instead).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re the comments on Norton:

ALL of my computer geek friends, and I mean ALL of them tell me that Norton in their opinion, IS A VIRUS.

Pure demonstration of the power of advertising and taking advantage of people who do not know better. I tried to load it on an old computer before I knew better, and ended up having to replace the computer. I learned my lesson and never have let Norton any where near me again.

This is actually more difficult than you would think, it keeps trying to load itself into my computer every time I upgrade Adobe Flash. You have to be very careful to uncheck the auto checked box to upload it along with Flash.

Wink

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1420655034|3813037 said:
When I started download of Kapersky it made me get rid of mcaffee and reboot, so that was good.

I am a longtime pc user, even back to DOS days. I HATE this Windows 8.1 interface!
I'm writing down all the apps that are predownloaded, and once I figure out what they are, going on a uninstall party to clean up the interfaces (and hopefully memory). They have something that looks like a regular desktop, but it is incomplete. None of it is insurmontable but it just looks so busy and I will need to figure out how to get to places from where I "thought" they were.

Couldn't even find the shutdown button (been using ctl alt delete instead).

Okay, to get to the Shut Down using Windows 8.1
1. you need to move your cursor to the right side, at the bottom corner or at the top corner... move the cursor into the corner so it is out of sight, then slowly angle the cursor back into your view - about 5 icons should appear that run vertically along the right side. For Shut Down, you want to select the Settings icon (which looks like a bolt or a wheel, on my laptop it is always the bottom icon).

2. Once you click on the Settings icon, it will bring up a wide bookmark-looking section running vertically along the right side - you want to select "Power" which is towards the bottom on my computer.

3. Once you click "Power," you can choose Sleep, Shut Down, or Restart.

My workplace moved to Windows 8.1 before I upgraded my laptop, otherwise I'd have been lost myself. I do think there's enough different/weird things going on with Win 8.1 that it might be worthwhile to find a "Win 8.1 for Dummies" or cheatsheet somewhere.

And you can get your old desktop interface back even with Win 8.1, but it takes some familiarity with Win 8.1 to do so.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lyra|1420014742|3809931 said:
ETA: All fixed! I accidentally left the free trial of Mcafee on the computer while simultaneously having ESET working in the background and trying to download Win 8.1. Doh! Got rid of Mcafee and all went well again. ;))
that would do it.
The only antivirus software that will play well with others is malwarebytes.
Any other the proper way to do it is:
download install file for the new one.
disconnect from the internet
uninstall old AV
reboot
install new av
reboot
connect to internet and update the new AV and run a scan.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1420655878|3813046 said:
Re the comments on Norton:

ALL of my computer geek friends, and I mean ALL of them tell me that Norton in their opinion, IS A VIRUS.

Pure demonstration of the power of advertising and taking advantage of people who do not know better. I tried to load it on an old computer before I knew better, and ended up having to replace the computer. I learned my lesson and never have let Norton any where near me again.

This is actually more difficult than you would think, it keeps trying to load itself into my computer every time I upgrade Adobe Flash. You have to be very careful to uncheck the auto checked box to upload it along with Flash.

Wink
I would agree with them, it is pretty much a virus.

The one that downloads with flash is a link to a web based scanner it just installs a link to the web scanner that doesn't load an AV program unless you click it.
Still a good idea to say no but it wont wreck your computer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results