shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Shower Q: How Many Towels Do You Use?

How many towels do you use after a shower?

Votes: 38 52.8%

Votes: 30 41.7%

Votes: 3 4.2%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 5+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1387611057|3578600 said:
madelise|1387595346|3578495 said:
Wow, I find it intriguing most of you dry your bodies before wrapping your hair with the same towel. I can't do that... I dry my body, and my hair gets it wet again. :angryfire: I need it out of my way before I even try to dry my body first!!!

Me too. I have to wring and wrap the hair first.

This.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1387692980|3578985 said:
distracts|1387577887|3578331 said:
I use a towel for my hair and wear a terrycloth robe.

ruby59|1387572757|3578290 said:
Thankfully, I am well stocked up on towels, so I only have to do a load of them evey other day.

You have to wash them after each use??? We use the same towels all week and hang them to dry.

It is best to wash every day but the dr says no more than every other day. Re-using a towel too many times is a good way to get skin infections (btdt, had to take the mega anti-biotics :knockout: ). Even if you're careful to grab your own towel each day it can cause problems.

Madelise -- hair getting me wet again is a challenge but I stick the towel over my back (under my hair) to do a last dry before wrapping my hair. Our towels are large-ish so I can only fit 5 or so in a load of laundry (plus hand towels and washcloths). Using a 2nd towel was adding a whole load of laundry extra per week and then "A" started doing it too so that brought it up to an extra 2 loads per week. (Since I'm already doing 20+ loads of laundry each week, I am happy to cut down where I can!)

ETA: Wanted to clarify towel washing -- the dr says that we need to wash towels AT LEAST every other day so we can use the same towel (each person has a towel -- not sharing!) for two days and then wash. He recommends using a clean towel for each and every shower/bath but says keeping it for two days is okay (assuming no visible infections).

Wow, I seriously had no idea. I always had a suspicion there was some mildew-y smell to my towels from them not drying fully or fast enough after a few days, but I can't smell it. It's FI that bitches. I never do my laundry... :oops: I have so many clothes that I only do darks (mostly for my undies and jeans) once a week, and a full load of all my lights and darks once every two to three weeks. My towels get tossed in with the darks, so they're washed once a week... but now I know why FI bitches :lol: Oh well. I don't think I'm ready to change my disgusting habits yet... :oops: But maybe I'll start using all of my other hundred towels instead of using the same 5 over and over again. The ones I use for my hair are always so drenched that it takes 2 days for it to dry!

DNB

Rough_Rock
I use one towel. Dry off, then wrap my hair. Although my hair is short now, it used to be almost shoulder length and I still only used one towel.

I also use a towel several days before washing. I've never had any skin issues and the reality is, you're the only one using the towel, you are reintroducing bacteria that is already on your skin so it's not really an issue. I don't buy into a Dr knowing everything about infections unless that's his/her specialty. I think washing a towel everyday is overkill. A dry towel will not harbor much of anything living. But, to each his own. I will continue to use the same towel for 4-5 days in a row. I've been doing it all my life with no issue and I'm 53. I do think some people are prone to infections though and have other skin issues that make them more likely to catch something, but that's not me. Come to think of it, I've never heard of it happening to anyone I know.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I have our own towels, we each use one and hang them to dry in their respective places (separate from each other). I dry my hair with a cotton-tee. We wash them whenever we do laundry. Change them about every 1.5weeks. I couldn't imagine "reintroducing" bacteria from clean skin to clean skin??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a child, I grew up sharing a towel with the entire family and we washed our towels once a week. As an adult, we have our individual towels but I still wash them once a week and we haven't had any issues with skin infections or anything similar.

When my hair was almost touching my waist, I still used one towel only. I would wring my hair gently and allow it to drip down my back whilst I dried the front. When done, I wrung it again (it loves to hold on to water and I have thick hair) and put it over one shoulder but bent down so that it's not touching me, whilst I dried the rest of me. Wrap up my hair while my head is upside down and viola, all done.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
1. I dry with 1 towel and then wrap my hair in the same towel. My husband and I hang our towels to dry after each use (on separate towel bars) and we use the same towels pretty much all week. The heat/air vent is located close to the towel bars, so they dry pretty quickly. I'm sorry , but the comments about "skin infections" from re-using towels just cracked me up :lol: I'm sure that there is bacteria living on my bath towels (much like everything in my home), but for the vast majority, it's not enough to cause any health concerns. Obviously, a little common sense is in order - certain things like climate, season, ventilation, etc. would effect bathroom towels. For example, if you live in a humid climate, and your towels don't dry well when hanging in your bathroom, you may want to consider washing.changing them more frequently.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I do the same thing as momhappy - we each use one towel and use the same one for about a week (if they seem dirty or funky, then sooner obviously). I honestly have never thought about infections from towels. We've been doing it this way for almost 30 years and have never had a problem.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure TooPatient was referring to her own personal experience with skin infections (which she has talked about on PS before) and not saying that everyone should wash their towel daily to avoid infection. Amazing how one person misunderstands her and a bunch of others jump on the bandwagon. :???:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter wants to drop towels on the floor and only use once but we try to use the towels a few times before throwing in bin. It helps in that we have a towel warmer, which dries and warms the towels so they feel fresh again.

Just one (biggish) towel, dry off body, then towel off hair, usually don't wrap it. But I am now intrigued by the idea of specific hair wrapping towels. I don't typically use a hair dryer, just let my hair dry naturally so any towel that can help with the drying would be nice.

Anyone want to post recommendations?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally misunderstood too. I change the towels if the kids get crazy in the bathroom and have the floor all wet-I just use the towels to dry the floor and then stick them over the hamper. Or, if the kids leave a towel on the toilet lid, part of it always is on that ledge right at the base of the tank and that freaks me out. JD has his own bathroom and his towel gets changed whenever he tosses it out by the washer.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use 2 or 3, one to towel off, one to use on my hair and then sometimes another one to use on my hair. I have super thick hair. When you mentioned you used 3 plus I totally believe it! You have long beautiful hair and it looks thick so I can imagine using several towels. I do NOT get why hotels give so few towels, so often I have to request more!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1387812152|3579481 said:
I'm pretty sure TooPatient was referring to her own personal experience with skin infections (which she has talked about on PS before) and not saying that everyone should wash their towel daily to avoid infection. Amazing how one person misunderstands her and a bunch of others jump on the bandwagon. :???:

I kind of resent this - I'm assuming you're referring to me and it implies I was attacking TP or something, which was not my intent at all. She just raised the topic and my intent was to just express my thoughts and experience. Sorry I'm not as perceptive as you.

TP, I'm sorry if I inadvertently insulted you or minimized your experience, you are one of my favorite people here on PS and I would never intentionally do that.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, I was not specifically referring to your response, else I would have quoted it and replied to you in particular. I happened to post after your response which was a total coincidence. I'm sorry that you thought I was directing my comment at you. I was trying to be very general.

TP shared her personal experience with towels being a source of contagion in her house. Others misunderstood her as saying that people should be washing their towels frequently to avoid the transfer of bacteria. I was pointing out that there has been a misunderstanding here and that no one read the pertinent posts before jumping to conclusions. That is all. I should have worded my post more carefully. I will try to do better in the future.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep!

Sorry for any confusion!

DH had a serious skin issue. Even after washing, there were still the infected areas on his body. He'd dry with the towel and hang it up to dry for use the next day. This added to the problem of the infection we had to fight for years. As the one infection went away, it made room for a very bad bacterial infection (of the sort that they routinely hospitalize for if it isn't found early enough). Even with him clean -- especially with him clean (the warm shower can cause some infections to seep even if you don't see anything on your towel) -- he was getting bacteria on the towel. Even though the towel looked clean he was spreading the infection around his body.

The dermatologist/internal-medicine guy (actually lectured at the UW medicine school several days a week on internal medicine and serious infections) was watching carefully and caught the bacterial early on, but not early enough to keep it from spreading to me. (we didn't share towels, but physical contact was enough to spread)

This dr told us both to use a towel one time only. Then wash it.

I don't think it is a big risk for most people. I used to use towels for at least two days and didn't have a problem. It just isn't something I can do any more. Knowing how severe that infection was and what could have happened if we hadn't found it so quickly (seeing dr every month or even 2 weeks at that time) leaves me very hesitant to take any chances. That particular infection is gone. The big infection that led to it is probably gone but isn't something they can test for to be 100% sure.
So while we could probably use towels for multiple days and be just fine, it isn't worth it for me. I'd rather have an extra couple of loads of towels each week than have to find out that an infection is back or spread.

ETA --
Junebug, sorry for the slow response. Been a busy couple of days!
I did see your comment but didn't take it personally at all! I used to use towels for multiple days. My grandparents have as long as I remember and have never had a problem either.

For all -- there was some question as to why people would wash a towel after only one use so I wanted to share a brief explanation of what the dr told us. I should have explained a bit more to avoid confusion.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch, I'm really sorry for flying off the handle and being so sensitive, in hindsight I overreacted. :oops:

TP, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to come across as being critical. In re-reading my post I guess it might have come across that way, I could have worded it much better. :oops: I'm really glad you didn't take it the wrong way, the last thing I would want to do is offend you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient,
I appreciate the explanation as I wasn't aware of the unusual circumstances in your family. I hope you didn't feel as though I was personally attacking you in my response above. I hope your DH's skin stays healthy. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug -- No problem! I hadn't even read it that way :))

Chrono -- No attack read at all! It is easy for me to forget that this IS unusual so fairly often skip over more details forgetting that other people probably haven't been through something like this. Thanks for the good wishes! :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, it is totally no big deal. I feel bad that I unintentionally made you feel bad! Now we both feel bad! Ah the perils of internet discussion. Hope you have a peaceful and happy rest of the holiday season, and Merry Christmas to you. :wavey:

TP, I hope I wasn't crossing a line by speaking for you. Glad you came back and provided some additional context. I meant to comment on your wedding thread, but will say here instead, congratulations, best wishes, Mazel Tov, and you both look very happy! Hope your husband's condition continues to improve.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One, hair first, then body. I don't care if I drip around me a little. It's water. It will dry. I use my towel about 3-4 days. I hate wasting water, and we do enough laundry every day with two kids. It's fine. Can't worry about everything... :wink2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1387826037|3579600 said:
Junebug, it is totally no big deal. I feel bad that I unintentionally made you feel bad! Now we both feel bad! Ah the perils of internet discussion. Hope you have a peaceful and happy rest of the holiday season, and Merry Christmas to you. :wavey:

TP, I hope I wasn't crossing a line by speaking for you. Glad you came back and provided some additional context. I meant to comment on your wedding thread, but will say here instead, congratulations, best wishes, Mazel Tov, and you both look very happy! Hope your husband's condition continues to improve.

I'm glad you mentioned. I've been in and out and not had much time to types so it was good you could mention!

Thanks! It was quite the process to get to the wedding and we were both glad to make it to the day!
Much happier now that we can relax and recover from the planning!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't use a towel. I have a zippered terry bath robe that I throw on as soon as I get out of the shower and a turbie twist for my hair. I love them both because I like to lounge around after a shower since I do it at night and I don't have to worry about anything falling or slipping off. The zippered robe I got from cuddledown and turbie twist is an as seen on TV thing I bought at BBB. Hubby uses 1 large bath sheet and that's it. I'm so obsessed with my zippered robe and turbie twist I bring them on vacation, lol.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

But many of us (myself included) would not have known of TooPatient's special circumstances because her original comment was just a general comment in regards to dirty towels & skin infections. I feel the comments that followed were justified and valid responses (and not made with malicious intent - like jumping on a bandwagon…).
Anyway, thanks for clarifying TooPatient =)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on my own a lot, so I try not to complain. We have the same problem as you do, Circe!

My DDH (dear, dear) dries himself in the shower, then manages to walk all over every bath rug in the bathroom, and the bare floor with somehow sopping wet feet. We have separate sinks, but he manages the most dripping onto my rug, which ends up ice cold when I next step on it. I have also been known to slip across the floor too.

I also dry in the shower with 2 towels (1 for hair, 1 for the rest). I step on the bath mat towel, which is on top of the bath mat for the shower. Thus ends my contribution to any dripping about the bathroom. :cheeky:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1387842609|3579711 said:

But many of us (myself included) would not have known of TooPatient's special circumstances because her original comment was just a general comment in regards to dirty towels & skin infections. I feel the comments that followed were justified and valid responses (and not made with malicious intent - like jumping on a bandwagon…).
Anyway, thanks for clarifying TooPatient =)

Fair enough. Not sure where you're getting that I implied malicious intent on the part of any poster who made reference to TP's post. The phrase "jumping on a bandwagon" doesn't generally equate to malice (to me, anyway), but perhaps you and I have different perceptions of the expression. I do feel that "cracking up" about "skin infections" after someone has posted about experiencing one so bad that she had to take "mega antibiotics" for it was rather insensitive. But again, the perils of internet discussion...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1387739167|3579165 said:

Thankfully, I am well stocked up on towels, so I only have to do a load of them evey other day.

You have to wash them after each use??? We use the same towels all week and hang them to dry.

It is best to wash every day but the dr says no more than every other day. Re-using a towel too many times is a good way to get skin infections (btdt, had to take the mega anti-biotics :knockout: ). Even if you're careful to grab your own towel each day it can cause problems.

Madelise -- hair getting me wet again is a challenge but I stick the towel over my back (under my hair) to do a last dry before wrapping my hair. Our towels are large-ish so I can only fit 5 or so in a load of laundry (plus hand towels and washcloths). Using a 2nd towel was adding a whole load of laundry extra per week and then "A" started doing it too so that brought it up to an extra 2 loads per week. (Since I'm already doing 20+ loads of laundry each week, I am happy to cut down where I can!)

ETA: Wanted to clarify towel washing -- the dr says that we need to wash towels AT LEAST every other day so we can use the same towel (each person has a towel -- not sharing!) for two days and then wash. He recommends using a clean towel for each and every shower/bath but says keeping it for two days is okay (assuming no visible infections).

Wow, I seriously had no idea. I always had a suspicion there was some mildew-y smell to my towels from them not drying fully or fast enough after a few days, but I can't smell it. It's FI that bitches. I never do my laundry... :oops: I have so many clothes that I only do darks (mostly for my undies and jeans) once a week, and a full load of all my lights and darks once every two to three weeks. My towels get tossed in with the darks, so they're washed once a week... but now I know why FI bitches :lol: Oh well. I don't think I'm ready to change my disgusting habits yet... :oops: But maybe I'll start using all of my other hundred towels instead of using the same 5 over and over again. The ones I use for my hair are always so drenched that it takes 2 days for it to dry!

Don't change your habits yet, Madelise! We don't wash our towels after each use or even after every second, and my husband and I use whatever towel is handy. Never had any issues in 10 years lving with him, or in the previous 25 doing similar growing up (but not sharing)! Perhaps for someone in the house has very sensitive skin or is immunocompromised I can imagine needing another regimen, but I have never heard a set-instone recommendation to wash after each use or every two uses.

PS: hang your towel over the shower rod fully open so it has no folds and it will dry very quickly without mildewy smell. They only smell if you don't let them dry out completely.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1387858629|3579820 said:

Don't change your habits yet, Madelise! We don't wash our towels after each use or even after every second, and my husband and I use whatever towel is handy. Never had any issues in 10 years lving with him, or in the previous 25 doing similar growing up (but not sharing)! Perhaps for someone in the house has very sensitive skin or is immunocompromised I can imagine needing another regimen, but I have never heard a set-instone recommendation to wash after each use or every two uses.

PS: hang your towel over the shower rod fully open so it has no folds and it will dry very quickly without mildewy smell. They only smell if you don't let them dry out completely.

My bathroom is placed in the worst location of our apartment-- smack dab in the middle between a wall for the next apartment, and between two bedrooms. There is no window, no light, nothing. The shower is on the opposite side of the door, but the hallway to it is just as dark. Things never dry in there. Though TP shared her own special circumstances, it made me realize I really am breeding bacteria on my towels! I've been bickering with FI about this for forever, to the point where he no longer showers at my place anymore. I didn't care because I thought he was being a big baby about it. Oh my god, that's scary.. I've been breeding germs. :-o

part gypsy said:
My daughter wants to drop towels on the floor and only use once but we try to use the towels a few times before throwing in bin. It helps in that we have a towel warmer, which dries and warms the towels so they feel fresh again.

Just one (biggish) towel, dry off body, then towel off hair, usually don't wrap it. But I am now intrigued by the idea of specific hair wrapping towels. I don't typically use a hair dryer, just let my hair dry naturally so any towel that can help with the drying would be nice.

Does a towel warmer actually dry the towel? I've thought about getting one before, just because it's nice to have a warm comfy towel.. but if it helps DRY too..!! The towel warmers I've seen are shoved into a dry microwave like thing.. I just didn't think there's any way for the moisture to get out of those?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
My hubby uses a medicine on his skin that is not safe for me and the kids. So I feel like I'm constantly washing towels! I'm glad to hear that those of you who can reuse more often do so to make up for those of us who can't.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1387873916|3579881 said:
Dreamer_D|1387858629|3579820 said:

My bathroom is placed in the worst location of our apartment-- smack dab in the middle between a wall for the next apartment, and between two bedrooms. There is no window, no light, nothing. The shower is on the opposite side of the door, but the hallway to it is just as dark. Things never dry in there. Though TP shared her own special circumstances, it made me realize I really am breeding bacteria on my towels! I've been bickering with FI about this for forever, to the point where he no longer showers at my place anymore. I didn't care because I thought he was being a big baby about it. Oh my god, that's scary.. I've been breeding germs. :-o

part gypsy said:

Does a towel warmer actually dry the towel? I've thought about getting one before, just because it's nice to have a warm comfy towel.. but if it helps DRY too..!! The towel warmers I've seen are shoved into a dry microwave like thing.. I just didn't think there's any way for the moisture to get out of those?

Yes, the right towel warmer will dry towels. Some are better than others, so shop around. We use one.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I use a towel and a robe. I put the towel in my hair after I dry off with it and put the robe on after I'm dry.

Edited to add that I use a towel two times before getting a fresh one. I am still trying to break DH of the habit of using a towel over and over and over. :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results