shape
carat
color
clarity

All in One Computers

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby and I are both looking at new computers. We don't want laptops or ipads - just desktops as we have built ins to accomodate them and are very comfortable in our web cruising spots! We also don't want standard desktops as the computers are in enclosed cabinets and I think they tend to overheat over time so the all in one's sound like a great alternative.

Apple has a beautiful one which is almost double the price of a Dell. We both have the iphone 5 but that's the only Apple products we've used on a consistent basis. We've always had Dells and have had trouble with them too from time to time. We really do very little word processing/work at home so we're just surfing with them most of the time. Obviously don't need tons of room for storage. Since we're buying two, we're probably more in the price range of the Dells but wondering if it would be worth the extra $$ for the Apple?

Anyone have any personal experience or advice regarding the all in one computers? Would love to hear pros/cons!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my macs but if you don't need them it may not be worth the expense. If you don't plan to stay iPhone and iPad either its not a big plus. The syncing across devices is nice.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
But having AppleCare for 3 years is nice

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will definitely stay iphone but as far as having a computer to do basic stuff, not sure it's worth the $$ for the Apple. Hubby doesn't think it is - I'm still on the fence.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an all in one computer (from Dell) in my home office, and I agree there is a place for a full sized computer. It works as well as any other computer I have ever had.

However, the real choice here is which operating system are you comfortable with.

I also have MacBook Pro laptop for travel or just working in other places in the house (which I am writing this post from).

Personally, I am not really happy with either Mac nor Windows in their current confiturations They both have their good/bad points.

Note that my first Apple computer was a IIe which predated the Macintosh operating system - and the first Macintosh was an amazing computer when it came out: I have lived through all versions of Microsoft (even the pre-windows versions); My first computer predated both companies and was actually a Tandy - Radio Shack. The reason IBM came out with the first IBM PC was because of the market share that Tandy was getting.

The concept that Mac "just works better" is now false for the vast majority of routine computer use (When Macintosh first came out it was true). For specific applications (heavy graphics) Mac does work better. But, I doubt you would notice the difference unless you were working at the professional publishing level.

If you are not an experienced user of Windows 7 because you have been using XP for ages - be ready for a big shock and an adjustment period (and after a year I still have not figured out how to do some basic things in Word that used to be readily accessible on a drop down menu).

I have only played with Windows 8 a bit in stores. Not sure how much of an improvement it really is.

As far as how good the various "warrantee" services are. I have endid up in discussion with both Apple and with Dell Support where I was totally convinced I knew more about what was going on (or where the problem was) - it was only that I did not know the correct commands to do what needed to do or the correct fix for the problem. In both cases I had to direct them to do specific searches in order to find the solution (and I doubt that the people I was talking to ever would have stumbled on that information on their own).

On a scale of 1-10 I rate both Apple Tech Support and Dell Tech Support as about a 3. These people are not really that knowledgeable about how computers really work or even about the software they are supporting. They know the most common issues; and are lost once you get away from that.

Happy shopping, and I wish you the best

Perry

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughtful response Perry. All things considered from your point of view, one is not totally better than the other. I've a feeling that is what lots of folks would say unless you were needing a computer to do a specific thing. Having said that, I guess it would not make a lot of sense to spend the extra money for an Apple. I do like the fact that the Apple product doesn't seem to be as prone to viruses but I guess as long as you have good protection you should be OK with the Dell in that regard as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR, I sort of went through that debate before Christmas. I kind of wanted an Apple computer since I got an iPhone and iPad last year. The location for this computer was a small desk with hutch that is in my den area. I really liked the idea of the iMac (all in one), but the darn screen is too large to fit between my hutch and desktop!!! That meant a $2000 Macbook to get a 15" screen and I just wasn't sure that was the right decision considering the iMac was something like $1200. So I bought a $500 Dell laptop to use until I figure it out. One of my three kids will want it if I replace it before it dies. Oh, and I refused to go to Windows 8!!! That was part of my hesitation. I did not want to learn a totally new operating system. So I grabbed a Windows 7 model while they were still available. I got it on Amazon. I figure if a $500 laptop lasts three years, that is pretty cheap. I really don't want to have to keep a computer 10 years to have to get my money's worth!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1360547210|3377094 said:
MGR, I sort of went through that debate before Christmas. I kind of wanted an Apple computer since I got an iPhone and iPad last year. The location for this computer was a small desk with hutch that is in my den area. I really liked the idea of the iMac (all in one), but the darn screen is too large to fit between my hutch and desktop!!! That meant a $2000 Macbook to get a 15" screen and I just wasn't sure that was the right decision considering the iMac was something like $1200. So I bought a $500 Dell laptop to use until I figure it out. One of my three kids will want it if I replace it before it dies. Oh, and I refused to go to Windows 8!!! That was part of my hesitation. I did not want to learn a totally new operating system. So I grabbed a Windows 7 model while they were still available. I got it on Amazon. I figure if a $500 laptop lasts three years, that is pretty cheap. I really don't want to have to keep a computer 10 years to have to get my money's worth!

That's an excellent point too - with technology changing as rapidly as it does if you overspend, you're stuck with it for awhile. As for Windows 8, I haven't had a chance to work with it yet either although I don't do much in the way of word processing at home. Guess I should get out and look at some Windows 8 software before I make a final decision. Thanks for sharing - as always, your advice is very helpful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't like buying a brand new OS because they always have bugs! Buying one the second year should be better. But I am sooo happy with Windows 7 and just don't understand why they had to drastically change something that worked perfectly well to make it more appealing to someone, not sure who!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Mac sounds like overkill for your needs. I would find a whole different company. I would have suggested Lenovo as I had terrific customer service but I haven't had one of their computers for years.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Onward and upward I suppose to make more money! It's true though that all new and improved is not always new and improved to everyone! You can get in a comfort zone with things and really don't want them tweaked.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heraanderson|1360549243|3377133 said:
Mac sounds like overkill for your needs. I would find a whole different company. I would have suggested Lenovo as I had terrific customer service but I haven't had one of their computers for years.

Great point! No reason to overspend as technology changes so rapidly as DS and I were just discussing.

What type of computer do you use? I am not familiar with the Lenovo name.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1360549420|3377140 said:
heraanderson|1360549243|3377133 said:

Great point! No reason to overspend as technology changes so rapidly as DS and I were just discussing.

What type of computer do you use? I am not familiar with the Lenovo name.

I use a mac but I need it for heavier duty graphics programs. Lenovo used to be IBM and they used to make really good computers. You could always look up reviews. Also, consider buying at Costco because they give you extra warranty time.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've gone completely with Mac and really like them. DH has a Mac Pro (desktop) and a MacBook Pro. I have a MacBook Pro with Retina. We both had MacBook Airs and decided we wanted the quicker processors that the MacBook Pro offers. Yes, they are pricier than a lot of Windows based systems but we just don't have the bugs, problems, glitches that we've always experienced with Windows systems.

When I first switched from Windows to Mac I was very lost for the first few days but now I don't think I'd go back to a Windows machine. I am amazed at how quickly updates take on a Mac. Even if you have to restart your computer you are back up and running in less than a minute.

I agree that technology changes all the time so buying an expensive system may not make sense but on the flip side of that the Apple products have good resale value. We ended up selling our Airs to my SIL but I could have got almost $900 for both of them from Gazelle.

Have fun shopping.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The big plus I see for Mac is just the virus protection. I have NEVER had one.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1360555757|3377219 said:
The big plus I see for Mac is just the virus protection. I have NEVER had one.

Ame, this is huge for me. I had two on my computer almost back to back. It's frustrating, time consuming and expensive to repair. This point alone really makes me stop and think hard about the purchase.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1360554635|3377207 said:
We've gone completely with Mac and really like them. DH has a Mac Pro (desktop) and a MacBook Pro. I have a MacBook Pro with Retina. We both had MacBook Airs and decided we wanted the quicker processors that the MacBook Pro offers. Yes, they are pricier than a lot of Windows based systems but we just don't have the bugs, problems, glitches that we've always experienced with Windows systems.

When I first switched from Windows to Mac I was very lost for the first few days but now I don't think I'd go back to a Windows machine. I am amazed at how quickly updates take on a Mac. Even if you have to restart your computer you are back up and running in less than a minute.

I agree that technology changes all the time so buying an expensive system may not make sense but on the flip side of that the Apple products have good resale value. We ended up selling our Airs to my SIL but I could have got almost $900 for both of them from Gazelle.

Have fun shopping.

Thanks Marcy for chiming in. Anyone I have talked to that has bought an Apple seems to be more than pleased with the product. They find them relatively easy to navigate as well. I don't mind paying for the quality but just don't want to overpay for something I don't need. Almost sounds like I need to flip a coin at this point!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I would not spend the money to get Apple(s) if that's all the more you use a home PC for. I'd check out the Dell or Gateways or other all-in-one first.

What I bought was a used HP 8200 Elite Small Form Factor i5 Sandy Bridge off of ebay. Comes with a Win7 Pro COA sticker. You d/l the HP software & drivers to another PC to DVD. Then d/l the Win7 SP1 ISO file from Digital River (free), and burn to DVD. I installed the Win7 Pro from the DVD, then the HP stuff, then activated Win7 Pro using the COA #on the sticker. Viola! for $280 delivered, I had a usable i5 3.3 GHz that I could hook to my older flat screen VGA monitor. Later, I bought a 1TB HD on sale and spent $40 at Crucial to get two matched 4GB RAM sticks for 8GB total. The onboard video on these is adequate for Internet browsing and office work. The speaker system is pretty good, too, unless you really want hi-fidelity sound to listen to a lot of music.

I used the MS Office 2007 & 2010 that I already owned but Open Office, Libre Office, etc are free for the downloading.

eta: I liked that HP so well that I bought another for my parents. Theirs is 3.1 Ghz i5 and came with a card reader. The 8200 Elite SFF is a very quiet and cool-running PC. There is a good support forum at HP. But I haven't had ant problems with the two I bought. I am a home-build person, but those (used) were a great value and a substantial update from the P4, haha.

---------------------------
If you get Windows 8:

Win 8 tips http://www.maximumpc.com/awordfromoursponsors?destination=article%2Ffeatures%2Fwindows_8_tips_guide8731

You can put Classic Shell on Win 8 (free d/l) and manage to stumble through Win8 because you can set menus to XP, Vista, or 7 style.

Free Win 8 For Dummies http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57543488-58/get-windows-8-for-dummies-pocket-edition-e-book-for-free/

Win 8 is not so bad w/ Classic Shell to override it. I only played with the consumer preview version, though.

I will probably build a new desktop when Haswell finally is released. (New Intel CPU and all-new architecture and mother boards. I actually still use my last build, a 2004 P4 3.2 Northwood / Intel PERLL mobo / 4GB RAM Win7 Home PC, for a lot of stuff, lol.)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Or, reading the latest on Haswell, maybe I will skip it for a while, since Intel has apparently reduced our expectations for it, compared to the their initial press release. lol ;-D

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC thanks for your thoughts but you are far more computer savvy than I! I'm more of a get it out of the box and plug it in person!

I'm sure with your knowledge you're able to build great machines just the way you want them! I envy your skill!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I doesn't take much skill to do what I did with those 2 HPs, haha. I bought two of those SFF desktops. They were completely assembled and tested and were guaranteed for 30 days. But there was no software loaded on them. The hard drives were blank, and all I did was download software and drivers and install it all. Went like clockwork, too. I only had to add a wireless network card to each, but that's very easy to do.

I read that you can buy the recovery/restore disks from HP for $10 per machine, but I did mine the no-additional-cost way and had to do all the work. I got Windows 7 Pro 64 bit by download. Also downloaded all the other flavors of Win7 while I was at it. (Just Google Windows 7 SP1 ISO Digital River and you all can find those files easily, anyone who is curious.) I wanted to buy 2 "modern" desktop PCs and not put much money into them, because my parents don't use theirs much, and that new Haswell stuff was supposed to be released by 2Q 2013, and I was buying PCs in July 2012 and didn't want to lose very much money to depreciation on "old" hardware.

The HP Compaq 8200 Elite comes in 3 sizes: a midtower ( the best and most upgradeable but also most sought-after & expensive), the small form factor desktop like ebay # 160972091877 (what I bought), and the little mini Ultra Slim Form Factor that is not worth buying, imo. The midtower and SFF are commercial machines, and they are meant to be standardized, good quality, and durable. Both machines I received were only 1 year old. (Woot woot!) HP's site tells me they are still under warranty. HP makes all the drivers, BIOS, etc updates available. They can also be upgraded to i7 CPUs and either 16GB or 32 GB of RAM (I forget how much.) Worked out to be a good deal for me since I got a fantastic price on the two PCs and I already owned two nice monitors to use with them. The RAM and the hard drive that I pulled from mine, I added to my parents' machine, so it has 4GB RAM and two decent sized hard drives. Nothing wasted, lol.

The current new models are the 8300 Elite series. The 8200s and 8300s are expensive brand new, but made of better hardware than any e-Machines or HP or whatever desktop PCs you'll find at Staples and the other office stores.

I don't know too much about all-in-one PCs, any brand. But I imagine they are pretty similar to a laptop except they don't have a battery. I'd consider one. Tiger Direct has a stand that would let me mount the 8200 SFF case and the monitor together, to make it kind of a onesie. I am kind of tempted to try it. But I don't need it, lol. Item#: YYD1-QP897AT | Model#: QP897AT

cnet-yyd1-qp897at.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results