shape
carat
color
clarity

acute seized quadratus lumborum

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Alone, scared and in pain. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into an acute seized quatratus lumborum which is one of my lower back muscles.

It apparently happened while lifting something heavy at work, although there wasn't actually and "oh no" moment. It is a very physical job. The muscle started to seize up (several hours later) and affect others around it. I couldn't walk, sit or stand. I made an emergency visit to a chiropractor and have been having treatments every two days since last week. This is my first experience with both lower back pain and a chiropractor.

I'm stressed too.

You see I've gotten a new job with a union organization. First year is on-call seasonal. On-call 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've had to be taken off the availability list, which is a big no-no for seasonals. I worked my butt off for the past 6 months so that they would consider me for 'casual' which is the next step up. I've just gotten casual although it doesn't take effect until next week. The timing of my injury has been worrisome. I'm in a gray area. Seasonals have very little support/protection.

I've been getting as much treatment and rest as I can, as every day off the availability list is frowned upon. I'm scheduled to work the whole Thanksgiving weekend (this weekend in Canada) from Friday through Monday. Work won't accept me back without a check-up and signed document from my doctor by tomorrow afternoon. Getting a doctor's appointment on such short notice is proving challenging as well. I'm waiting for them to call back.

I haven't had pain like that since childbirth. Somehow I've managed to get to 48 without a lower back issue, but this one is a doozer.

The back is improving but much more slowly than I anticipated. Ideally I need another 1-2 weeks off. In a perfect world...

Hoping for advice or feedback about this. It's been quite frightening...

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you had an MRI? I had excruciating back and leg pain that went on for months. Chiro and PT were of no help. Doctors kept telling me it was muscular, muscle spasm, etc. I finally demanded an MRI and turns out I had a severe herniated disc in my lower back, with severe nerve compression. One cortisone shot and I'm 100% pain free, and now nature has to just take its course and heal the herniation over time. Surgery was proposed as a possibility, but only as a last resort, and I've been feeling great since the injection (about 2 months ago, or so).

Just want to make sure they did an MRI scan and that they've accurately diagnosed you. The nerve and disc pain I had was overwhelming - nothing at all like the muscular pain I've had in years past. It's very unique, and completely debilitating.

Good luck - I hope you feel better soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Begonia, I am so sorry! I have no knowledge about your condition or info to share but just want to say I am thinking good thoughts for you and sending healing vibes across the miles. I hope you get relief soon and that your job is understanding and won't penalize you for something out of your control. You have proven yourself a good and valuable employee and I hope they cut you some slack. (((Hugs))) and healing vibes being sent your way!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for replying ericad ::)

I'm not sure if that is a possibility or not although I will keep it in mind. The doctor and chiropractor don't seem to think so, and so I haven't had an MRI. The pain and tightness came on over 2 or 3 days and is responding very well to deep tissue massage, ultrasonic treatment, some adjustments and rest. I also do exercises my chiro instructed me on. It is improving...slowly. Mostly tightness and loss of mobility. Pain getting less daily thank goodness.

I didn't know what it was, and so stayed home and iced it. That didn't work at all, and the muscle seized up - acutely.

It has caused me some loss in confidence: of my back health, my ability to cope with pain, my ability to do my job and not re-injure myself etc.

I've gotten quite irritable and down about it all.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you excersize alot? Encorporating some weight lifting to strengthen the muscles you use might be worthwhile to think about for the future.

For now, I'd say not to ice it. Warmth will help the muscle loosen up. When you go for massages do they have a steam room or hot tub you can use prior? That will help loosen up the muscle even more and make the massage more effective. Working this weekend is probably not worth it if you aren't going to be completely healed. You will only reinjure yourself soon again, and possibly worse. Take the time off and get better! You should be able to file a claim with WCB as it was caused at work if money is an issue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry honey,. Alone and scared is a terrible thing. Big hug.

I haven't had good experiences with chiropractors though.

And you need a back brace and to avoid re-injuring it as much as possible.

I don't have more advice just a lot of sympathy and support.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
Hugs to you, very gentle hugs.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Missy - thanks for the loving words...I'm hoping they will see me through this. Worrying about the future of my job isn't helping I'm sure. I hope all is well with you too...

telephone89 - I swim and do waterfit about 5 days a week (not now until the injury is a bit better). My job has a lot of lifing and bending and severe vibration (I work on a ship). I have quite good core strength, but will work on that further as things get better

Gypsy - I think I really do need a big and long hug. I don't have anyone to help me be strong right now. I admire your strength...my chiro is going to tape me up on Friday am for my 4 days of work. That's if my doctor can sign me off by tomorrow. That's not looking good as his office still hasn't called.

Kenny - thank you Kenny. Thank you. I'm taking all the hugs being offered.

FancyIntense - I have some more coverage with DH's work. There is coverage (a bit) for phsio. I'll call next week. I'm just trying to get through this weekend to save my job. It's not looking good. Even if I get the doctor's appt, he may not sign me off as ready to work. There isn't a gradual re-entry policy in place for me, so I have to be ready to be full-on, or it's a no-go for me for the weekend.

It's very helpful to have this feedback. You have no idea how alone I've been with this. The DH has been trying his best, but often that means retreating into himself. Good with the housework and tasty meals though, so I want to give credit where credit is due.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to tell you, you can buy these tens units in a million different places like Amazon etc.

Also, you don't need a Dr. referral anymore to go see a physical therapist (in California anyway) you can just call and make an appointment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. That really sucks. I don't know anything about that condition but I had a neck injury one time and it's AMAZING how much your back and neck muscles affect every movement you make, and you really don't realize it at all until you hurt them. Dust for a swift recovery!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks distracts!

This has shaken me emotionally. I hate coming on here and boo hooing but I'm feeling alone with this. I could have coped with the injury but the unknown of the job makes me feel just gutted. I've invested a year of time into getting and keeping this job including taking several advanced first aid courses that were way outside my comfort zone. Who knew I'd be pretty damn good at them too. It's not easy to return to the work force when you've been out for years raising kids. It was a whole new world and world economy I re-entered.

It all weighs heavily on my mind.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1412811598|3764555 said:
Thanks distracts!

This has shaken me emotionally. I hate coming on here and boo hooing but I'm feeling alone with this. I could have coped with the injury but the unknown of the job makes me feel just gutted. I've invested a year of time into getting and keeping this job including taking several advanced first aid courses that were way outside my comfort zone. Who knew I'd be pretty damn good at them too. It's not easy to return to the work force when you've been out for years raising kids. It was a whole new world and world economy I re-entered.

It all weighs heavily on my mind.

Begonia, you are not alone. We are here for you. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I hope the job situation works out for you but please take care and remember your health must come first. Don't do anything that might jeopardize your full recovery. Hopefully the people in charge at your job recognize how valuable an employee you are and won't let this injury affect your future with them. Sending good thoughts for a full recovery and job dust your way.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry you're going through this. I had a bout with back pain that lasted about six months (but mine was a slipped disc - so different, don't panic!)

For muscular pain, In the past I've had good luck with physical therapy. For my disc pain I eventually found some relieve with a kind of traction thing (Spinal Decompression).

I know the emotional toll well. Which is why I'll offer HUGS too! When you're going through it it doesn't seem like it will ever end - but i've been doing great recently. Careful. But feeling so much better overall! You'll get there. Hopefully quickly!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FancyIntense|1412800057|3764450 said:
If you can, consult a physical therapist INSTEAD. No chiropractors! I think people choose chiropractors because they don't know where else to go. Including myself. Take a look below, these tens units are extremely helpful and perhaps this is something you are already using with the chiropractor.

I hope you feel better soon :angel:

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/transcutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens-topic-overview

http://www.tensunits.com/

Totally agree. I also recommend a good sports massage. When I was in the last car accident I was in physical therapy and sports massages (at places that have tubs/spas you can loosen up in before or after) were what helped me the most.

I've seen and heard too many bad chiropractor stories to ever go to one.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia - my thoughts and prayers go out to you! :wavey: Back pain is clearly a horrid fickle master who can make you miserable. I think your long-term health is work more than any job so please please be careful rushing back to work. Definitely try a qualified physio NOT a chiropractor (which personally I believe are complete quacks :roll: )

Fingers crossed for pain-free swift recovery!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks missy, distracts, deco, Gypsy and Hotpozzum, and all those before...for listening, and taking the time to offer advice. It's such a relief to have people to talk to about this. I've been fretting, which is messing with my healing process.

Off to physio next week then.

I hear what you are saying about long-term health. The whole shebang rests on my GP (general practitioner) who didn't return my calls today. If he can't fit me in for an appointment tomorrow, check me over and sign off on the paperwork, then I can't work this weekend. Now if might be that he will fit me in tomorrow and still not sign off on the paperwork. Between me and thee, I'm not ready to go back to work.

I had a minor meltdown yesterday. Those are exhausting. Then I had a big think today. The Universe is usually trying to tell me something, and I'm usually not listening. Well now the Universe has gotten a bit louder, and it sent me to the PS which has given it a voice. This injury has left me with no control over what happens in the next few weeks. After a year of carefully plotting my next move for this job and working my seized ass off, that's a tough one to swallow.

Shit.

Well, on a more positive note, I'm off to physio next week. Will it feel good, or hurt?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the time you get there physo will probably feel pretty good. Both times I've done it for a bit (15 years apart) they usually start with some kind of heating pad/warming up deal. Examination ... figuring things out ... trying different positions. There might be some electro stimulation of the muscle (which feels kind of warm & vibratey) And you'll leave with an assignment to do some repetitive motions 2-3x a day probably.

My first go 'round ... the PT helped instantly. Within a few days I was feeling amazing. This last time the PT also seemed to help at first but not *as much* and then I stopped going and had a BAD recurrence a few months later that ended up by an MRI and that route. (Pain Meds, weird Injection right near spinal cord WOULD NOT RECOMMEND, scheduled for surgery, surgeon cxld due to his OWN surgery, 2nd opinion NOT to get surgery & try "anything else first" due to my "young" age (45), a month of depression and trying to think of anything else to do, experimenting w/a chiro whose own treatments did NADA but who suggested >>> my ultimate savior >> Spinal Decompression therapy.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia, I am so so so sorry to hear you're in such pain. I'm sending my most positive, hopeful vibes out to you in hopes that your pain subsides soon.

Deco! You are like a flittering fly by night flit-something. I never can catch you long enough to give you a giant hug and catch you off PS. It is my mission in life to find you off this site and give you a kiss. You are such an elusive mother effing something. I shall keep trying.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Bloody hell Begonia, that is quite the situation! Big hugs, and never feel bad about posting here. Lots of lovely people ready to listen. :))
I second the advice of the others to steer clear of a chiropractor. You are in no shape to be evaluating whether or not your one is one of the quacks. Physio is great. Checking for disc herniation is a good idea. Take the painkillers. Apply heat.
If you do not hear back from your doc, go to a walk-in clinic.
I can't quite figure out your job, which is probably heartening for you to hear, but I cannot help but wonder what kind of outfit needs such grueling hours and is seemingly unsympathetic to sick leave, especially in the great white north.
I hope you feel at least a bit better soon.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your posts Jane, Monarch, deco...I can't tell you how thankful I am for the feedback. Thankyou.

Well the doctor won't let me work until Monday, and then only light duties. Administration will therefore not let me work as there aren't light duties or a RTW (return to work) procedure for seasonals. The doctor further recommended light duties for another week which means I will be prevented from working another week.

The doc is right. I don't question that. My back is being given the time to re-heal.

Things get sticky for my job however. I will likely not lose it, but will doubtless be essentially laid off by not being offered any hours. We were warned when we started that we would have to eat, breathe and sleep the job and work extremely hard. I worked too hard. Rather, I worked hard and not smart. You see, I hurt my leg at work and instead of booking off, I continued to work. Picked up something heavy improperly (this is what we think happened) and my lower back took the strain.

It's hard to talk about because it was incredibly foolish of me not to take the time off with the initial injury. It was minor, but led to a more serious one. This will heal, I'm being told, but its' put my job in jeopardy. :blackeye:

Jeez what a girl won't do to get the long weekend off!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear of your injury, Begonia! I am glad you are taking the weekend off to continue healing! It sounds like you have been getting good treatment from your doctor and your chiropractor since you are improving!!! I only see the need to go see someone else if you are not getting better or are getting worse! Prayers for healing and that your job is not affected.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sending gentle hugs Begonia. I've lived with bouts of acute lower back pain for years, stemming from carrying a heavy laptop bag on one shoulder when I traveled 5 days a week for work. I literally woke up one day in terrible pain (worse than unmedicated labor) and passed out from the pain. My parents found me unconscious on the floor. I've spent years and doctor's, chiropractors, physical therapists, etc. As long as I'm careful, I'm good, but I had problems with each pregnancy, because the added up front weight put strain on my back. Anyhoo....while I totally sympathize with you about your job and can only imagine how scary the thought of losing your job is, PLEASE...get a second opinion and do whatever you need to do to heal your back properly. Long term pain is debilitating and can be depressing.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get a massage in this weekend? A nice therapeutic message?

About your job? I know you are fretting, and I wish I had advice there but I really don't just more ((HUGS)).

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank-you for your kind thoughts diamondseeker, Yenny and Gypsy...

Do you know, and call me crazy, but I've been getting better since I opened up about it here? I don't have a lot of people I can bounce this off of. Maybe putting those worrisome thoughts out there, is loosening their stressful grip? I'm grateful for your time and advice, and it's truly helping.

It's the long weekend here, and most places are closing up shop I'm afraid. I do have physio scheduled for Wednesday, which is the earliest I could find. I'm looking forward to it. :) My close friend is a certified acupuncturist, and she is going to see me tomorrow though. I do find I'm quite relaxed after acupuncture, which is helpful.

Backs are so complex. It's no dang wonder we have so many problems with them, when one learns how they are designed.

Protect your back everyone. Please.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I hope you feel better very soon Begonia!
In the meantime, worrying is not helpful at all!
I do hope the powers that be have their diagnosis right.
How can they know just based on your reports of your symptoms?
Perhaps an mri would be in order.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LaraOnLine (love that name ). :)

I went to physio for the past two days. Very nice. Two different kinds of stimulation machines (for muscles?). Then exercises. I think I am getting the value pack as this is being paid for by Workers' Compensation. I do have some coverage for massage therapy, so I'll follow up on that too.

Doc, chiropractor, acupuncturist and physical therapist all say soft tissue injury. Truth be told, it is getting better daily and the pain has lessened to dull twinges when I move certain ways. I am 70% better than I was last week and I won't even talk about the week before that. Shudder. Now I have some tightness and weakness in the back and core that needs to be worked on.

Back to work tomorrow. They are bringing me back with light duties after all, something I didn't think was going to happen. I'm still uneasy about some job stuff, but I won't dwell on what hasn't happened yet.

Thank you all for your support. That was painful and scary, but I feel so much better now. Those backs are screaming %^%$#es when they aren't happy. I had no idea. Now I do.

Love Begonia

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1413419898|3767673 said:
Thank you LaraOnLine (love that name ). :)

I went to physio for the past two days. Very nice. Two different kinds of stimulation machines (for muscles?). Then exercises. I think I am getting the value pack as this is being paid for by Workers' Compensation. I do have some coverage for massage therapy, so I'll follow up on that too.

Doc, chiropractor, acupuncturist and physical therapist all say soft tissue injury. Truth be told, it is getting better daily and the pain has lessened to dull twinges when I move certain ways. I am 70% better than I was last week and I won't even talk about the week before that. Shudder. Now I have some tightness and weakness in the back and core that needs to be worked on.

Back to work tomorrow. They are bringing me back with light duties after all, something I didn't think was going to happen. I'm still uneasy about some job stuff, but I won't dwell on what hasn't happened yet.

Thank you all for your support. That was painful and scary, but I feel so much better now. Those backs are screaming %^%$#es when they aren't happy. I had no idea. Now I do.

Love Begonia

Begonia, that is wonderful news and I am so happy for you! And thrilled for you that work is allowing you to perform light duties. YAY!!! Now please just take it slowly and listen to your body. Continuing to send healing vibes your way. And big (((hugs))) for a full and quick recovery.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Missy, you are the dearest soul...

I hope you continue to heal as well. Big hug.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results