shape
carat
color
clarity

8mm OEC on a size 5.75 finger?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all :) I need some opinions pretty please. I'm considering purchasing a gorgeous 8mm antique OEC but it's hard to pull the trigger since I can't try it on (set in a ring). I'd set it in an antique-y style milgrain bezel + halo custom setting with either a pave band or skinny bezeled (w/milgrain) french cut side stones.

I guess the only real point that has me undecided is how it'd look on my size 5.75 finger. I LOVE the way 9ish mm rounds look on small fingers (Yssie, Frankie etc) and I originally wanted a 9mm OEC or 8X9 AVC/cushion but the price on this 8mm OEC is really great and to go up to 9mm is HEAPS more. I feel MUCH better about spending (way) less money than my budget but am worried that I'll regret not going with 9mm.... ???? If I get and set this stone - this is it for me (for e-ring upgrades anyways) because I wouldn't want to lose the $ on a custom setting.

I've searched and searched for pics of a 8mm round with halo (or even 8mm non-halo) on a size 5.75-6 finger but couldn't find anything. :( If anyone has any pics so I can get a feel for how much finger coverage, that'd be super awesome! :D

Also, if I DID go with a larger OEC (9mm) would a bezel and halo be too much for a jeans and flips flops type lifestyle? That's DEFINITELY the setting I want but I don't want the ring to clash or be over the top compared to my laid back style. I also want the view from the top to show the band- not just the center stone.

Thanks everybody!!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i'm not sure this will help but this is my ring and the centre stone is 8.78 mm

my ring size is 5

so a bit bigger stone than the one you are looking at, on a bit smaller finger.

i think you may have to go with the 9mm to get the same coverage on a 5.75 finger.

but honestly, i think the visual difference is probably quite small.

3stone.JPG

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1299193447|2864124 said:
i'm not sure this will help but this is my ring and the centre stone is 8.78 mm

my ring size is 5

so a bit bigger stone than the one you are looking at, on a bit smaller finger.

i think you may have to go with the 9mm to get the same coverage on a 5.75 finger.

but honestly, i think the visual difference is probably quite small.
Rosetta- your ring is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! :love: x 10000000!!!

Thank you for replying! Well, yours is .8mm bigger and your finger is almost a whole size smaller - but with a small bezel and halo, maybe the size difference between an 8mm and 9mm won't be tremendously noticeable? I'm also worried about getting a bezel + halo on a 9mm - I don't want the center of the ring to overshadow the band (from the top view). The coverage on your ring is perfect!

The 9mms I've found are roughly $11-12k more (same specs)- the stone I found is a great deal. It's hard to spend that much more $ for 1mm more...

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!

I overlooked the fact that you want a bezelled halo. I think the 8mm stone will give you excellent coverage. I think most halos add more than 1mm and that sure costs a lot less than a centre stone being 1 mm bigger! Think of the other sparklies you could buy with the money saved! :naughty:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1299197695|2864171 said:
Thank you so much!

I overlooked the fact that you want a bezelled halo. I think the 8mm stone will give you excellent coverage. I think most halos add more than 1mm and that sure costs a lot less than a centre stone being 1 mm bigger! Think of the other sparklies you could buy with the money saved! :naughty:
LOL I could upgrade my studs! :naughty: I'll probably upgrade my kitchen instead. ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel and halo on an 8m stone??? Huge!!! My stone is 7.6mm and I wear 5.5 and I'll tell you, I wouldn't want to put a halo on mine because I think it would be too big! Seriously, I think 8mm would be perfect for what you have in mind, and 9mm would be too big for a halo for a person that didn't live in Beverly Hills, IMO!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1299198626|2864184 said:
Bezel and halo on an 8m stone??? Huge!!! My stone is 7.6mm and I wear 5.5 and I'll tell you, I wouldn't want to put a halo on mine because I think it would be too big! Seriously, I think 8mm would be perfect for what you have in mind, and 9mm would be too big for a halo for a person that didn't live in Beverly Hills, IMO!
Thanks for the info DS! Your ring is gorgeous and very substantial on your hand!! That's exactly what I was afraid of with a 9mm + bezel + halo- it just doesn't "fit" my lifestyle and I just feel like it'd look out of place. Plus, I just feel better about spending less and using the extra money I budgeted for my son's school fund, home renos etc.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Hey LA,

I just posted a picture of my new OEC in SMTB. My specs aren't the same but they are close, I'm a size 5 or a 5.5 (the solitaire is a 5.5 and I am hoping it isn't too big) and the stone is 7.2. I am picking it up tomorrow, but I'll post hand shots and the tiny bit of difference in my ring size and the mm size should give you a pretty decent example. I posted all the specs on my stone as well, so you can see if the stone you are looking at compares. Let me know if you need any other info :wavey:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
TBjumper|1299200921|2864218 said:
Hey LA,

I just posted a picture of my new OEC in SMTB. My specs aren't the same but they are close, I'm a size 5 or a 5.5 (the solitaire is a 5.5 and I am hoping it isn't too big) and the stone is 7.2. I am picking it up tomorrow, but I'll post hand shots and the tiny bit of difference in my ring size and the mm size should give you a pretty decent example. I posted all the specs on my stone as well, so you can see if the stone you are looking at compares. Let me know if you need any other info :wavey:
Thanks TBjumper!!! Wow- your new ring looks great! I can't wait to see more pics and hand shots!!! :love: I think that'd be a great example to get an idea of how 8mm would look on me :) The stone I'm considering (well there are 2 but they both have about the same specs) is L color. I'm in LOVE with warmer color old cuts! :love:

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
You are more than welcome! I love the warm colors too, I think it looks like flickering candlelight! My OEC pendent is an L, set in a RG bezel. If I can find BGD's glamor shots I'll post those too.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
TBjumper|1299201599|2864226 said:
You are more than welcome! I love the warm colors too, I think it looks like flickering candlelight! My OEC pendent is an L, set in a RG bezel. If I can find BGD's glamor shots I'll post those too.
I saw your OEC bracelet in a rose gold bezel! Oh My Gosh!!! I LOVE it!!! Hmm... maybe I'll use rose gold for the bezel on my ring... :love: RG looks so lovely with warmer colors, IMO.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
oh yeah I forgot I posted those! I turned it in to a necklace as I wasn't wearing it much as a bracelet. I was worried about breaking it. The rose gold really does look great on the warmer colors IMO!! I'll be sure to update my other thread with hand shots for ya tomorrow :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
TBjumper|1299202407|2864239 said:
oh yeah I forgot I posted those! I turned it in to a necklace as I wasn't wearing it much as a bracelet. I was worried about breaking it. The rose gold really does look great on the warmer colors IMO!! I'll be sure to update my other thread with hand shots for ya tomorrow :bigsmile:
I'm sure it's just as gorgeous as a necklace!!

Thanks so much for posting hand shots! Can't wait to see it!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
yellowducky|1299253312|2864583 said:
hope this helps! 8.1mm RB center (11mm total diameter w/ halo) on my 5.75 finger.
Oh wow thank you!!! That helps SO much!!!! :appl: What a gorgeous ring!! :love: I think that size definitely looks "wow" and much bigger would probably be getting close to too much for what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Hey LA,

Posted more hand shots of my Ring in SMTB. Let me know if you want me to post here as well to keep it all in one thread for your reference. :wavey:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
TBjumper|1299289351|2865094 said:
Hey LA,

Posted more hand shots of my Ring in SMTB. Let me know if you want me to post here as well to keep it all in one thread for your reference. :wavey:
You're so sweet!! :wavey: thank you so much for posting hand pics! Your diamond and ring are absolutely gorgeous!!!! :love: You may want to post a pic here so anyone else who comes across this post can see it for reference. :)

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Here ya go... Stone is a 1.52 OEC Ring size is 5.5. Stone measures 7.2mm

OECFire.JPG

OECPS4.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results