shape
carat
color
clarity

2013 COLOR Of The Year

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The pantone powers that be have declared the color of the year to be . . . (drumroll) . . . emerald!

http://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21055&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eb20121206

It's a green with blue tones. Or as we used to call it back in the '80's, teal. :rolleyes:

Is this the color you've been waiting for? Are you ready to see it on accent pillows near you?

I'm pretty sure I threw out a bunch of suits with big shoulder pads in this color . . .

Plus side, it did make my eyes look greener. :kiss:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like this color, but a little goes a long way (used as an accent, with neutrals or coordinating colors, not the main color).

D

Deactivated member 42515

Oh good, I'm glad you posted this. I was wondering what color I was gonna wear from head to toe in 2013.

D

Deactivated member 42515

On a less sarcastic note, I agree with part gypsy. I love this emerald color and it would be beautiful as a pop color. Like just a flowy blouse or a silk scarf. Or even some emerald color jeans with a plain top.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont really care for teal, especially in fabric or garments. But I love tsavorite, a fine bluish green. Still I don't think I would like a suit made of tsavorite, though it would be my tsavorite suit. I would look like Kermit in sequins.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald green and teal are two different colours. Emerald green is predominantly green with a slight blue modifier. Teal is almost equal amounts of blue and green. I don't mind a deep emerald green as the main outfit, with accessories in black or orange or etc, but not head to toe in the same colour. Teal is a little more challenging to colour coordinate.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1354890339|3325360 said:
The pantone powers that be have declared the color of the year to be . . . (drumroll) . . . emerald!

http://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21055&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eb20121206

It's a green with blue tones. Or as we used to call it back in the '80's, teal. :rolleyes:

Is this the color you've been waiting for? Are you ready to see it on accent pillows near you?

I'm pretty sure I threw out a bunch of suits with big shoulder pads in this color . . .

Plus side, it did make my eyes look greener. :kiss:

I'm confused...I thought emerald was green and teal was blue/green?

At any rate, I've seen a lot of blues (like ocean blue/teal) around over the last year in home decorating stores & online.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they just went opposite the color wheel from the bright pink of last year. It was a hot pink last year, right?

I thought we were still painting our homes in really soft, calming colors??

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow --- "hello and welcome back to the 80's!" Yikes! I love green (well, TEAL, actually ;)) ) but this would only be an accent colour in my world...

Thanks for the link tho, iLander!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
So they call that teal? I think of teal as more blue than that, like this, the color on a blue-winged teal duck:

Don't think I'd want to wear a whole lot of either color -- accents okay, yes. In that green I'd look like the Jolly Green Giant's mother.

--- Laurie

teal.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else have the image of VL wandering downtown NYC looking a bit like the Lucky Charms Leprechaun?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1354905038|3325560 said:
So they call that teal? I think of teal as more blue than that, like this, the color on a blue-winged teal duck:

Don't think I'd want to wear a whole lot of either color -- accents okay, yes. In that green I'd look like the Jolly Green Giant's mother.

--- Laurie

Now this colour I could live with a lot easier than the 2013 colour of the year - I don't find this one as harsh. Maybe because of the blue mixed in with the green.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm the only one that calls it teal. To me, this has a little too much blue in it to be called emerald.

In my eyes, 100% Cyan, !00% Yellow is emerald (a bit closer to the actual stones in my mind), but this has much less yellow than that.

We may have to take this over to colored stones to get a definitive ruling from the real emerald experts. :D

Or could be my monitor is making it look less like an emerald.

ETA: checked one of my printed guides, the color values Pantone is giving (99C, 69Y) is emerald when printed.

Emerald it is!

Off to recalibrate monitor :rolleyes: , but RGB will never be the same as CMYK . . .

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy with it. I love greens. The main living areas of my home are done in greens and it's very soothing and peaceful. We need a nice soothing color to calm us all down after this election year.

Last year's color was honeysuckle (bright coral), if memory serves. It certainly was everywhere.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1354905373|3325569 said:
Does anyone else have the image of VL wandering downtown NYC looking a bit like the Lucky Charms Leprechaun?

Well it wouldn't necessarily be the first time. Over twenty years ago I was a waiter at Ed DeBevic's and was known to wear some pretty outrageous outfits. Imagine a harlequin satin jester suit with a bald barbie doll as a hat.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well that colour for clothing just doesn't suit me at all. I'll just have to make sure I get an emerald ring instead. I *think* that might be something I could force myself to live with, especially since it's my birthstone. :rodent:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1354918885|3325795 said:
How much did they pay you, VL? Whatever it was, it wasn't enough! :errrr:

oops.
Did I forget to mention the roller skates?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The 80's was NOT a pretty (or practical) decade. I went through a can of AquaNet a week. :errrr:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
And "Pink Ice" was my favorite gemstone! :errrr:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this emerald and I love teal. My whole wardrobe is teal and green and blue and navy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1354905038|3325560 said:

--- Laurie

This is what I think of as teal... I have a whole lot of it. I think of turquoise as basically a lighter/whiter version of this. I have a whole lot of that too. I am wearing a teal fleece right now to keep warm.

Emerald I'd wear on clothing but it doesn't fit my house color scheme... clashes with the teal and bright green I have going on!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
This whole concept is new to me. A color of the year, really? :lol: Are there people who eagerly anticipate this announcement and then alter their lives in some corresponding manner?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1354976258|3326154 said:
This whole concept is new to me. A color of the year, really? :lol: Are there people who eagerly anticipate this announcement and then alter their lives in some corresponding manner?

Maybe not individuals, but across industries like textiles, home furnishings, paints, etc., it is HUGE. Ever notice why you all of sudden see a color you've only rarely seen, EVERYWHERE? Thank Pantone for that.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
They're like the Holy See of Color

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think I am perhaps not fashion-conscious enough for this sort of thing. I'm wearing the same white, red, pink, and yellow t-shirts that I bought last year, along with the same regular blue jeans (no colored jeans here!) and Old Navy $1 flipflops. :lol:

My house? Beige. Cream. Tan. White. Black. No sense screwing that up with colors. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results