shape
carat
color
clarity

What's on your Xmas List for your toddler?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Let's share ideas and also info on any duds! On my list so far is a vacuum cleaner, but I'm not sure if it'll be a waste. She also loves anything musical so maybe a toddler CD player?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have kids yet, but for my counsin's kids I like to purchase Melissa & Doug items. Instruments are also a great idea so your child can be interactive and make her own music, instead of just listening to it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Backyardigans CDs for sure.

Books...I'm thinking Fancy Nancy based on Burk's recs

I might get her a toy car...she seems to like cars and trains. But I'm not sure on that one since toys seem to be a waste.

And I know this sounds really really weird, but I may get her something that's not technically a toy. Like an accounting calculator which will make lots of noise and she can punch the buttons. This kid always wants my little desk calculator. Toys generally seem like massive waste of money for Amelia, but I'll be looking at this thread for ideas!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
J is not quite a toddler, but we're getting her mostly toddler things: a few books from the NYT best of 2010 list for kids books, the Bare Naked Ladies kids CD, the Beatles for kids CD -- I'm pickin music I can tolerate -- and a workbench.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Lucy is my easy child. She never asks for ANYTHING, total opposite of her sister. I told her that she has to give a list to Santa so she said she wants "story books". We're also going to get her a small piano because she loves to play. I got her some clothes from H&M and did a little online BF shopping at Gymboree so she'll get a few cute things. That's about it. No need to go overboard at this age.

Lily has had her master plan in place for months now! She's going to ask Santa for a "princess bicycle and a princess bag" http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4042579,, earrings and a jewelry box, a bear, pajamas and black boots. This list gets longer as she sees different things but these are the constants. She forgets about all the other stuff she asks for so we don't remind her!

E B

Ideal_Rock
He's too young to make his own list, but we're going to be buying him a rocking horse (my husband wants the kind on springs, but I'm hesitant) and a keyboard or baby piano. On the list for family members: a Melissa and Doug musical instrument set, a few wooden toys/puzzles, and books.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
good ideas! I will be picking up some books too - maybe some more classics like Green Eggs and Ham,etc.

I love the idea of a toy piano and instruments too - guess I'll check out the M&D collections.
Another thing C loves are play cars..she played with the barbie one for hours at Grandma's house. Seems too soon for barbie items though!

TGal - would you recommend your golf set from last year ..I need to invest in my retirement fund too :).

Curlygirl: your girls are too cute! C just says "toys and doggie" when I ask what she wants. I don't think she quite gets it yet!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
janinegirly|1291052692|2781845 said:
good ideas! I will be picking up some books too - maybe some more classics like Green Eggs and Ham,etc.

I love the idea of a toy piano and instruments too - guess I'll check out the M&D collections.

TGal - would you recommend your golf set from last year ..I need to invest in my retirement fund too :).

Curlygirl: your girls are too cute! C just says "toys and doggie" when I ask what she wants. I don't think she quite gets it yet!

Oh yeah, Amelia still loves it. It was a worthwhile toy.

I'm going to get her a keyboard of some description for her birthday I think, but not christmas.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got my niece the Fisher-Price record player (the one with the little plastic records, not the one with the needle) this morning from backtobasicstoys.com. I saw it on the Urban Outfitters website a few weeks ago for $40...last night we were searching around to see if we could find it cheaper. JCP had it for $29.99 but it was on backorder, so FI found it this morning on the site I mentioned above for even less with a coupon code, out the door it ended up being $25.49. Score!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are thinking about a nice wooden train set as he seemed to like that a lot at my cousin's place.

Also a play kitchen set, hopefully wooden.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We'll do the usual pjs and a Christmas book.

She's really into this weird cartoon called elliot moose so I ordered the books and thinking about getting the dvds. I really want to get her a toy kitchen but no room for it. I also want to get her a playground for the in-laws backyard but have to ask them first. We haven't tried puzzles yet so maybe a couple of puzzles.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
A Radio Flyer plastic wagon, Tonka dump truck, some puzzles with the large knob puzzle pieces, and a new pair of Pedipeds.
He's only one year old, so my guess is he'll have more excitement tearing the wrapping paper, than playing with the actual gift :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: the RF plastic wagons, my friend has one of those and one of the ATV real wheel ones and she says they never use the plastic one because she said it rides horribly and doesn't turn well. she loves the ATV one (it's about $30-40 more i think on amazon). anyway just wanted to mention it in case you plan to use it a LOT--you might want to spring for the better one with real wheels.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Mara|1291059714|2781938 said:
re: the RF plastic wagons, my friend has one of those and one of the ATV real wheel ones and she says they never use the plastic one because she said it rides horribly and doesn't turn well. she loves the ATV one (it's about $30-40 more i think on amazon). anyway just wanted to mention it in case you plan to use it a LOT--you might want to spring for the better one with real wheels.

Thanks for the heads up! I already ordered the plastic one online. Bummer. Would you mind asking her which ATV model she has?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy's xmas loot...

Random stocking stuff such as new pj's (take up lots of space :devil: )

Paddington Bear
'Paddington Bear at Christmas' book
Paddington Bear DVD
Beatrix Potter DVD (both very cheap from the hospital fundraising sale - hooray!)
Magnetic Farm Animals book

Smart-trike Zoo in Ladybird - this is her main gift from DH and I. I had it shipped to my MIL's and they offered to put it together for me so I just have to wrap it when I got there... took them 3 hours! She's seen similar ones in shops and gone nuts over them so I hope it's a success. It should last till she's around 4 as bits come off to make it less parent dependent. I'm hoping it will be a good alternative to going out with the stroller in the summer! http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Bikes-and-Rideons/Trikes/Smart-Trike-Zoo-in-Ladybug(0076558)

The choice for her 'big' present was between the Smart-trike and a rocking horse but we don't really have the space even though I'd love one and I think she'll get more use out of the trike.

We've asked all the relatives to give her either one of the little Beatrix Potter books or farm animals from the Schleich series so as to avoid masses of plastic crap which she'll grow out of and it makes it more affordable to collect the books and animals - they're a great price point for presents but buying the whole lot at once is very expensive.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Things that I want to get her are (not sure if I will actually get her anything since she gets tons of gifts from the family and we get her stuffs regularly):

1. work bench
- DH mentioned it since M is always getting the screwdriver right along us, when we are putting something together. There is probably not enough room for one in her room. So maybe we'll just get some play tools.
2. drum set
- DH is against this one, and I am not sure if I will regret it later on.
3. keyboard
- Might be a waste since we have a piano in our house already. My mom also said that she has the keyboard from our childhood that she'll bring for M to play with.
4. play foods/pantry items
- She has a good amount of play foods already, but there's a few more things I would like to add.
5. balance bike
6. dress up jewelry/shoes

Wooden Play kitchen
We have this Kidkraft kitchen, and it's great. Tacori and Burk also have Kidkraft kitchens in different models, and seem to like it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE out kidkraft kitchen. It is the retro red one and very cool looking. T plays with it daily.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=17259,22104,25907,27642,27816,27823,52786&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=kidkraft+retro+kitchen&cp=12&qe=a2lka3JhZnQgcmV0&qesig=6UNL7QKA3tY3DCMP7553KA&pkc=AFgZ2tmF_MPSe6TXjtugSkT1resybfjSicurQxIVKTlBv2BjlrwdPlB3HwNBmcEszAEcWtvGEOp_1QwFU3NitjhHnmg4JE8JkA&client=firefox-a&hs=ERv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6982101801637340215&ei=Alj0TPCRJsqs8Aba4ezcDA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQ8gIwAA#
I think Burk has the same style but in pink.

I already bought her a few things. I got her this Princess Doll set for $39 on Black Friday.
http://www.target.com/Disney-Princess-Shimmer-Doll-Collection/dp/B002A6GEWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=princess%20dolls&searchSize=90&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchPage=1&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1291080983&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0

This car so the princesses can ride in style.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MUANJO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000XMI0R0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QV8Q9AGT6ZNRRPD413N

she really wants this jewelry box but after seeing the review I might return it.
http://www.target.com/TinkerBell-Lost-Treasure-Wendys-Music/dp/B002KO23MW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=tinkerbell&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-2&qid=1291081403&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=TinkerBell%20Lost%20Treasure%20Wendys%20Music&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0#communityReviews

I got her this doll bed from IKEA (forgot about it!)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10101664

I am also going to buy her a new disney movie for the airplane. I found lots of stocking stuffers. Target has princess markers in the dollar section. I also got her a new princess toothbrush and toothpaste (do we see a theme? haha) and some play food.

I also think I will buy her (unless a grandparent beats me too it) an American Girl Doll bitty baby when we visit the store in Chicago. She LOVES her dolls and I know she will cherish it.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/thumbnail/id/129/uid/95

Her aunt is getting her this Melissa & Doug sandwich set which I KNOW she will love. She got the cookie set for her birthday and has played with it everyday.
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Wooden-Sandwich-Making-Set/dp/B00006JZCS/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1291081515&sr=1-2

Not sure what the rest of the family is getting her but I am sure she will be spoiled. My mom already sent her a box full of gifts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I saw that princess doll set at Target on BF as well! I ALMOST bought it but decided against it. Lily saw it out of the corner of her eye but I kept her moving so she wouldn't ask. We got the Sleeping Beauty DVD for her to complete the Disney princess collection. It's out of control!!

qt, I'm looking for dress-up clothes too. The girls love to wear all of my stuff, in addition to wings and crowns all the time so I was thinking of getting them their own set of "costumes" to play in. Let me know if you find anything good!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Great list Tacori. This year we are only do gifts for the kids and C is the only grandchild on my side, so she'll make out. Running out of room for the stuff.

I'm eyeing the Barbie car now..but then need to find a doll that's suitable for a 2 year old to put in it. You got a deal with those princess dolls!

Re music: has anyone found an instrument they recommend? I looked at the M&D pianos which look v. cute but just skeptical if it's will get use. C has a FP keyboard already. She likes to dance and sing which is why I thought of the CD player with mike.

Re books: anyone got some favorites? Ours are the classics -Goodbye Moon and Hungry Catepillar but always looking for more!

Kidkraft kitchen: we have the same one as Tacori and Burk (I took them up on their recommendation), but in pink. Love it!! One of the few toys that gets use AND looks nice in the room!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
These are the things that we've bought:

Melissa and Doug Easels for Both
Crayola Model Magic for Both
Leapfrog Laptops for Both
Princess Tiana and Rapunzel for Savannah
Buzz Lightyear for Gray
Melissa and George Bulldog for Gray

Things that we're thinking about/yet to get:
Power Wheels for Both - I'm 100% against this, but I sort of have a feeling that Nate already bought them.
Play Kitchen - I'm leaning towards getting the walk-in Step2. Technically, Savannah wants the kitchen, but I'm sure it'll be something they both will use.
Build-a-Bear for Both - It seems like all of the kids they play with are Jewish and have the Build a Bears/animals that are blue, so our kids want blue bears. I just have to explain to them that they're not Jewish so their bears won't be the same.

Gray wants a doll. Nate doesn't want him to have a doll. We're not a couple that fights. Normally, if we disagree, we don't have a problem finding a solution. But on this, I personally think he's being a huge a-hole.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Penn-love the power wheels idea! Gawd I can't wait for a house with a yard. No advice on the doll issue. FI thinks play kitchens are only for girls even though he's the cook in the house so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Any doll recommendations? I think I'm going to look into the awesome toy thread again. Sophia is into taking care of babies (combing their hair, giving them a bottle, putting them in the stroller). I'd like to get her a good one.

Also, you girls have me really curious about that kitchen. I know she'll love it, even now. I just need to find space for it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curly, when I saw the Target ad I knew I had to get it. Where did you buy Sleeping Beauty? Lots of places have dress-up trunks for under $35. Not sure of the quality of the dresses but I doubt your girls will care.

Thanks Janine. Guess she is spoiled. I think a 2 year old can have a Barbie minus the shoes and anything small. I am pretty laid back though so maybe you should ignore me.

Penn, bummer. I totally think boys can have dolls but that's a tough battle to fight. Have you seen the boy/girl twins from American Girl? Adorable. Hopefully Nate will come around. Can't they have blue bears even if you aren't Jewish?

Fiery, my kitchen is really not that big. T is all about being a little mama. I love the Sophie doll but there is no hear. She has a fisher price one with blonde hair she loves. I can try to find the name if you are interested.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, you got a great deal on those dolls!! I can't believe how expensive they are when not on sale. I got the Sleeping Beauty DVD on Amazon. And I've seen some of those dress-up trunks on Amazon too, just wasn't sure which one is the best although you are right--they won't care about the quality! :cheeky:

janine, I always recommend the Dr. Seuss books. They are fantastic and timeless, not to mention fun! I think we are going to get a Schoenhut piano.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine, I ditto the rec on Dr. Seuss. Fun to read aloud and I never get sick of them (the real ones that are actually written by seuss). My fave one is "Places to Go."

There are some fun Australian books I can recommend: Blossom Possum is fun to read - it's the aussie take on the sky is falling (chicken little). Also books with any TV characters they know can be fun: Sesame Street, Dora, Backyardigans, Mickey, etc.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Curly - I haven't really look into the dress up stuffs too much. M is only into jewelry and shoes, not so much the clothes. She doesn't like clothes; she won't try on new clothes I get her.

Kidkraft kitchen - I believe Burk has this kitchen. I chose the one we have because it's taller/bigger, so hopefully get used for longer. Our 6 years old nephew is playing with M in her kitchen all the day.

Barbie - M has one that SIL gave to her. She immediately took the shoes off, and those are nowhere to be found. She doesn't do much with it besides carrying it around.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1291145156|2783073 said:
Penn, bummer. I totally think boys can have dolls but that's a tough battle to fight. Have you seen the boy/girl twins from American Girl? Adorable. Hopefully Nate will come around. Can't they have blue bears even if you aren't Jewish?

Yes, the Bitty twins, and that's what I was going to get. One for him and one for her. I think the best gifts for them are the ones that are just alike because that's kind of how they play.

And on the Build a Bear tip, I was told just to get them the blue bears and not worry about it. I don't mind, but I was thinking that my kids being non-Jewish, but carrying around bears with the Star of David on them, would be disrespectful to those that are Jewish. Maybe that's warped logic, but I don't like the idea of offending someone's religion.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I bought this for Kyle last month, and went ahead and gave it to him http://www.amazon.com/Kiddi-o-by-Kettler-8810-100-Smoovy/dp/B003NWCBTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291232886&sr=8-1 He loves it! We took it to the family for Thanksgiving, and he rode all around the house, even carpet. It's actually made of metal, and the tires are rubber/foam like stroller wheels. Feels very strudy and well made.

For x-mas he's getting a sandbox, sit-n-spin, toddler trampoline, Leapfrog Laptop, and some puzzles and coloring books (that's from us and both grandparents).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Book Recommendations (some of these may be well-known only in the UK):

- The Tiger Who Came To Tea
- The Little Engine Who Could
- Where The Wild Things Are
- Paddington Bear books
- Beatrix Potter books
- The Gruffalo
- Room on The Broom
and all the other books by Julia Donaldson
- The Mousehole Cat - I LOVE this one, Daisy is a huge fan even though it's for older kids (and adults). It's set in the real Cornish village of 'Mousehole' pronounced Mowzole and the pictures are gorgeous and the story is lovely.
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly
- The Night Before Christmas (my mother always read us this as a bedtime story on xmas eve - even when we were teenagers!)
- The Velveteen Rabbit
- Madeleine books
- the Flower Fairy books by Cicely Mary Barker. She also did some lovely stories - 'The Lord of the Rushie River' & 'Fairy Necklaces' are two that I still go back and read for myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results