shape
carat
color
clarity

Tubal Ligation or Vasectomy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
So I am starting to do a little research into permanent sterilization for our family. Hubby and I want one more child (we have 2 already) but that will be it for us.
I have only just started reading bits online tonight, but am curious what experiences you all have in this area...

If/when there is a 3rd baby, it will also be by c-section so there would be obvious access to the tubes.. I have read numerous storied tonight about women whose tubes fused back together and became pregnant several years later, etc....Besides pregnancy, I am trying to find any long term health risks, ie prostate cancer(some research shows higher risk) or ovarian cancer.

Being as fertile as we have been for the last 4 years, I know a permanent decision will probably be best for us. We are currently 27 and 28(I''m the old one lol)
so we have alot of years ahead of us!!

Thank you for any info you are willing to share!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any statistical info for you, but a friend of mine intended on having the ligation at time of her c-section. The doctor would not perform the additional surgery at the same time because he said that her body needed to recover and therefore would need a second surgery. So, I''d look into that plan with your doctor and see if he/she has problems with doing it simultaneously.

I haven''t known anyone who''s had a tubal ligation to end up pregnant. I have known one man who''s wife got pregnant after he had a vasectomy. (He actually thought she cheated on him and they did a DNA test to prove paternity.)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband had a vasectomy after we had James. It was by far the easiest proceedure for us. He was in and out in half an hour (he was awake during the op) and recovered within a week. He was back at work after 3 days.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a tubal 10 years ago. I haven''t had any problems whatsoever. It was done on an outpatient basis, which was okay. There was some pain for a few days. I think it''s a great option. I''ve never heard of the tubes fusing together, it doesn''t seem possible the way my surgeon described what was being done. There are a couple of different methods to choose from. I wouldn''t necessarily be bothered about having it done during c-section, as it wasn''t too bad to have it done as outpatient. And TMI, I just felt it was so much easier to do it myself than try and convince my DH to get a vasectomy. Plus, I worried he''d feel psychologically, uhm, I don''t know, but less confident if he had the vasectomy? He was so relieved!
41.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh, it sounds like that doctor wanted to be able to bill for 2 separate procedures. Most doctors would prefer to cut you once and be done with it. My mom had a c-section and her tubes tied in the same surgery and had no complications.

I''m an advocate for both procedures, however after 20+ years of being on BC, I think that Fi should be the one getting snipped. But he''s not ready to have that conversation yet. When I bring it up he curls into a fetal position and starts rocking back and forth. We haven''t had kids yet though. I figure after 2 or so hellions, he''ll be down with it.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
It''s already been decided that FI will be the one getting the surgery when the time comes. Vasectomy is a simple non-invasive procedure with local anesthesia, whereas tubal ligation is a bit more major and usually requires general anesthesia. Maybe if I have a c-section I could have it done at the same time, but I''m hoping I won''t have to have one unless absolutely necessary! I''ve had 5 surgeries in my life already, so I''d rather not go under the knife again. FI is 100% supportive.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sophie,

If your Obgyn is happy to do the tubal at the time of the c-section then that should be straight forward. I haven''t heard of healing from a c-section influencing success (or otherwise!) of a tubal. Sometimes the docs baulk at doing it at the time of delivery because it is a permanent measure.

Otherwise vasectomy is certainly a MUCH less invasive procedure (particularly for you, LOL!). In all seriousness, men are back at work D1 post snip whereas women may have to take longer off as the *ahem* equipment is harder to get to! (It does take 6 weeks for the vasectomy to ''work'').

Of course you usually have to have counselling about how this is permanent birth control, yada yada, and for both sexes having a reversal is a BIG deal involving microsurgery.

HTH

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 8:41:42 AM
Author: Gemma12
Hi Sophie,

If your Obgyn is happy to do the tubal at the time of the c-section then that should be straight forward. I haven''t heard of healing from a c-section influencing success (or otherwise!) of a tubal. Sometimes the docs baulk at doing it at the time of delivery because it is a permanent measure.

Otherwise vasectomy is certainly a MUCH less invasive procedure (particularly for you, LOL!). In all seriousness, men are back at work D1 post snip whereas women may have to take longer off as the *ahem* equipment is harder to get to! (It does take 6 weeks for the vasectomy to ''work'').

Of course you usually have to have counselling about how this is permanent birth control, yada yada, and for both sexes having a reversal is a BIG deal involving microsurgery.

HTH
I totally agree with Gemma''s comments. Gary and I were 100% happy with our decision for him to have the snip - but I still have my moments when I think ''ohh wouldn''t another baby be wonderful''. I always snap out of it though! There is no way psychologically that I could cope with another pregnancy and we both knew that. He had the snip at the grand old age of 25 and we are glad its done.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Well, my husband had the vasectomy. We agreed it''s an easier procedure and since I had carried two babies and squirted them out, plus nursed each for longer than a year, he could put up with a small amount of discomfort for a day or two. It hasn''t affected his enjoyment at all and has not noticed any problems.

But I kinda think it''s a very personal, individual decision. Each couple has to grapple with it for themselves and what works for one couple doesn''t for another. How''s that for a waffle sandwich???

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve got no advice but hubby and I are considering the same options. I''m preggo now with my third and definitely last baby and would be up for doing it right after the birth. divergirl just did this a couple months back. It is much easier for the guy to do it though if he''s willing. Once i''m closer to delivering I plan on talking to my dr. about all the pros and cons and see if he''d even do it right away post-delivery.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I am totally for having the guy get snipped--like others have mentioned, it''s less invasive, much simpler and by the time DH and I are ready for that step I am sure i''ll feel like he ''owes me one'' for all the child-bearing.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 11:41:09 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I don''t have any statistical info for you, but a friend of mine intended on having the ligation at time of her c-section. The doctor would not perform the additional surgery at the same time because he said that her body needed to recover and therefore would need a second surgery. So, I''d look into that plan with your doctor and see if he/she has problems with doing it simultaneously.

I haven''t known anyone who''s had a tubal ligation to end up pregnant. I have known one man who''s wife got pregnant after he had a vasectomy. (He actually thought she cheated on him and they did a DNA test to prove paternity.)
I had a friend who was told the same thing.

When we decided to do something permanent, hubby readily offered to be the one.
yikes2.gif
I think he figured, I''d done everything else.

I have heard things can "grow back", "connect back" on both sexes. That''s why his doc snipped, tied off AND cauterized. My OBGYN said that the job this guy did was as close as one could get to absolute certainty, short of an immaculate conception.
grins-xmas.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sophie, you''ve carried all the kids, given birth, nursed, etc. Let him be the one to get snipped hon. You''ve done enough! IMO, of course...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I have not done either yet. We have three kids and we are not planning on having anymore. When I was pregnant with my third (she is now 3), I did talk with my OB/GYN about a tubal since I was having a c-section anyway. She is actually the one that talked me out of it and said that she is a bigger fan of a vasectomy. Her reasoning was that (not that you would ever want to replace a baby) many problems with newborns do not show up until after 24 hours and if I did have to tubal at the time of the c-section that it would already be done. That was enough to make me reconsider. Not to mention, I have been pregnant 4 times, had one miscarriage, 3 c-sections and nursed all three children...it is time for him to do HIS part!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 2:56:22 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
My DH and I have not done either yet. We have three kids and we are not planning on having anymore. When I was pregnant with my third (she is now 3), I did talk with my OB/GYN about a tubal since I was having a c-section anyway. She is actually the one that talked me out of it and said that she is a bigger fan of a vasectomy. Her reasoning was that (not that you would ever want to replace a baby) many problems with newborns do not show up until after 24 hours and if I did have to tubal at the time of the c-section that it would already be done. That was enough to make me reconsider. Not to mention, I have been pregnant 4 times, had one miscarriage, 3 c-sections and nursed all three children...it is time for him to do HIS part!
We had two and didn''t want anymore. I have 3 now.
9.gif
Better do something....
2.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 1:04:48 PM
Author: surfgirl
Sophie, you''ve carried all the kids, given birth, nursed, etc. Let him be the one to get snipped hon. You''ve done enough! IMO, of course...
lol, thanks!
31.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
We had two girls, both by C-section. Since we were pretty sure the second would be by C-section, I had a tubal. My doctor never said anything about my body recovering. That sounds suspicious to me since they are already in there.

DH and I made an agreement that if the baby came naturally, HE would get the big V. But if we ended up with a C-section, I would get my tubes tied. We are both in our 40''s so we knew we didn''t want to have any more children.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I could be wrong here but I always thought that a vasectomy carried less risk that tubal ligation. Also, if you change your mind and do want more children, it''s easier to reverse the vasectomy than a tubal ligation.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 1:04:48 PM
Author: surfgirl
Yep, I agree that you''ve done all the work so it''s your husband''s turn now! Plus as was mentioned, there is less risk with a vasectomy.

My DH ended up having one after both my IUDs caused problems. I had to force him to get one as the issue of his "manhood" came into play with him
20.gif
, but he doesn''t regret it now.

We are FOR SURE done having kids after having two, but the procedure is reversable so it still makes more practical sense if need be.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the time comes the plan is for him to get a vasectomy, but we''re still several years away so they have time to come out with a miracle-science thing to stop us from getting knocked-up by then :) Actually, our current form of BC is so easy that we''ll probably put off the vasectomy for quite some time.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2007 6:24:29 PM
Author: Addy
When the time comes the plan is for him to get a vasectomy, but we''re still several years away so they have time to come out with a miracle-science thing to stop us from getting knocked-up by then :) Actually, our current form of BC is so easy that we''ll probably put off the vasectomy for quite some time.
you think you can have that secret to yourself???What is it that works so well for you ???
31.gif
31.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My DH had a vasectomy. It was done on a Friday and he was back to work on Monday. I had a friend who had a tubal done. She said they filled her abdomen with air, which was most uncomfortable. If I was having a C-section, not sure if I''d want to be even more uncomfortable. But maybe if they''re already in there, they don''t use the air...

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I am very pro-vas, but wanted to mention a female alternative to a tubal: Essure. Big in Australia, began seeing it in the US several years ago.

Basically you have little springs inserted into each tube, and scar tissue gradually forms and blocks the tube. [All those years of avoiding STDs/scar tissue and here I paid to have such a thing, ha.] I had mine done a few years ago.

Big upside: No risks from a general. Minimal recovery (I went for a walk that night, felt great with in days -- very different from when I had a laproscopy years ago and had to recover!).

"Downside": Like a vas, it's not immediate...takes ~ 3 months for the scar tissue to form so you need to use birth control. Then you have an HSG (imaging that shows route of contrast dye through tubes) to make sure you're "blocked." [Same procedure lots of women with infertility procedures have to check on their tubes -- the tech thought that's why I was there and felt bad for me until I told her I had the result I wanted!]

Essure (sterilization for women)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2007 6:45:27 PM
Author: Sophie
Date: 12/6/2007 6:24:29 PM

Author: Addy

you think you can have that secret to yourself???What is it that works so well for you ???
31.gif
31.gif

Not a secret at all, just what we decided worked for us a few years ago - we''re too young for doctors for consider surgery right now but we didn''t want to mess with BC regularly.

IUD - No periods, don''t have to think about any form of BC for 5 years, can''t tell it''s there - ever, only needs checking on by a doctor once a year - during your annual exam so no extra visits, and if you''re really paranoid it''s super easy to just check for the strings. But I think it''s either a love it or hate it thing. I love it and so do two of my friends (2 of us have the plastic one, 1 has the copper one), but one of my friends just got her removed (a copper one) because she hated it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results