shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel and Early Pregnancy - NY and London advice appreciated ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The good news is: I''m pregnant! The bad news is, my husband''s on assignment in London for 3 weeks, and after that, we''re supposed to be in Sweden for a week.

Now, this isn''t "bad" news per se. I would *love* to go to London for 3 weeks and hang out at the British Library! That would be duckie! The only thing that worries me is ... I''d sort of like to see an OB/GYN and be sure that it''s a "normal" pregnancy, and that all is well. And, since I''m in NY, I''d sort of like to pin a good OB/GYN down as soon as possible: it''s a tough town to let things slide in. To top things off, I have sort of a complicated history (my first pregnancy ended in an unexplained miscarriage around 20 weeks), and I''m not sure if there are any additional precautions that I should be taking.

So here''s what I''m trying to figure out. As I count it, I''m currently just past 5 weeks along. Should I:

a) eschew London, stay in NY until week 7/8 (generally the earliest an OB/GYN will see you, in my experience) and go straight to Sweden for the wedding in the first week of June? The big problem with this is that then I don''t see my husband for however many weeks, and, well, while I''m used to the business travel lifestyle ... under the circumstances, I want to hug my husband, damnit!

b) go to London and see a British doc. for the initial checkup? Is this even possible? I don''t know much about British healthcare, so I''m unclear as to how this would work - if anybody on the boards is from the UK, I would appreciate your advice.

c) go to London and Sweden, have a grand old time, do all the things I know you''re supposed to do in terms of vitamins, DHA, etc., and just book an appointment for week 10, basically as soon as I get back? If so, any NY''rs want to recommend their doctors? The one I''ve been going to is awesome, but she''s leaving obstetrics before I''m due.

I fully realize I may be making this more complicated than I have to: I''m just sort of in a tizzy. Advice, dr. recommendations, or just plain talking down welcome.
41.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
First, congratulations on your pregnancy!
36.gif
I'm so happy for you.

I think C is the best option if you think you'd be able to enjoy London without having an early scan first. In the first few weeks, it's hard to tell if a pregnancy is 'normal' or not through an ultrasound. For instance, if you went too early and couldn't find a heartbeat, you may spend your entire vacation worrying. And in my (more rare) case, I saw a heartbeat at ~6.5 weeks and miscarried days later.

One option you may want to consider is finding an OBGYN and having blood work done some time this next week before you leave. If your betas are rising normally, that should provide some reassurance. For me, this didn't require a visit- I'd just head down to the hospital lab for a draw, and I'd wait for a nurse to call with my results. Once you're back from vacation, you'll be able to see so much more on an ultrasound at 10 weeks.

If you go with option C, I'd speak to your OBGYN first and ask her if she has any advice for the first few weeks abroad: things you should take, things/activities to stay away from. Then, I'd enjoy the heck out of London while you still can. I'd imagine it's a lot harder to hang at the British Library with a fussy baby in tow.
2.gif

Hugs to you!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
What about staying until about 6.5 weeks to get an ultrasoud to try to see that the pg isn't ectopic and then head over? An ectopic would be my only concern with early pg and travel. I wouldn't even have worried about that when we went on vacation from 4.5-7wks, except they told me I was higher risk due to IVF. I went anyhow, figuring I could watch for symptoms and would stay in western Europen countries with good medical care rather than going some place exotic. And all was ok.

Travel certainly won't cause a miscarriage if that's what you're worried about. Option C really does sound pretty good.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Can your current ob/gyn refer you to another doctor? We have a few other ladies in NY who I''m sure will help (bella, bliss) but even if it doesn''t becomme your "forever" doctor, you still might be able to get in with one before you leave if you want to. Call the office and let them know you have a history of miscarriage, and they may be able to get you in early. I know when I had spotting at 5w5days they got me in the very same day for an ultrasound.

They probably won''t have much to tell you at the first appt. anyways, so if you''re comfortable waiting until 10 weeks, id say go for it. Personally I don''t think I could, but many practices actually don''t do much besides bloodwork any earlier.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Circe!! So excited for you and hoping for a smooth pregnancy and pain-free delivery!
5.gif

I would go with option A given the history. I would feel so much better seeing a DR and just knowing that everything is 'as ok' as it can be at that point. I would def miss hub but I would want that peace of mind before traveling out of country.

Otherwise, Option C is what I'd do. Medically, I don't think it can make much of a diff but mentally it might be worth it so you can enjoy the trip with less worry.

I personally wouldn't go with option B, it sounds like more of a hassle than a help.

Regardless, enjoy your travel ...!! We went to Spain and Portugal while pregnant and while I didn't really enjoy it the way I could have if I was not preggo...I am still so glad we did it before the babe arrived.

Random note but also many airlines in Europe don't let you travel after I think 24 weeks. We went when I was 16-18 weeks and they actually asked me if I was preggo and how far along.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, I am THRILLED for you!
36.gif
I would go with C or maybe A, depending on what would make you happiest/most comfortable.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with option C - I did something similar when I was pregnant.
I went to Helsinki where DH was working when I was 4 weeks and 8 weeks, then we went to NYC together when I was 12 weeks.
I also had a history of unexplained miscarriage.

Check your medical insurance and see what it will cover overseas. As far as I know, you need to be a UK resident to qualify for free healthcare here (NHS), but no hospital will turn you away if you need treatment or assessment and you can see a Dr for a referal as a visitor to the country (my cousin has done this here, she's from the US). You may have to pay, but travel insurance will usually cover it. Just check that pregnancy isn't excluded.

If you come to Scotland, visit Glasgow - see if you can get an ultrasound in the hospital where it was invented (I managed this, it was kinda cool).
3.gif

Seriously, you'll be fine to travel and if you need treatment, it will be available. Most large hospitals here have early pregnancy assessment units, so if you have even a twinge, you can get checked out.

ETA CONGRATULATIONS!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I would try to get a doc to see you before you go
If not I''d do option c. I was in london, Spain, and Switzerland during the very early stages of pregnancy as well. I''d take all of your prenatals and just do there what you would have done here.

Congratulations Circe!! Very happy for you!!
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''d be a real bummer to miss out on all the travel, but given your history, I''d go with A. Regardless of your plans, check your insurance coverage and see what they cover. . .if you decide not to go with A, then go with C!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations and come to London!

You don't even get an initial appointment here until 10 weeks, but if you have any worries when you are here, there is a 24/7 Early Pregnancy Emergency Unit at St Thomas's Hospital - they saw me when I had bleeding at 7 weeks and were really great. They're about the only place in the UK where you can get an emergency U/S on a Sunday - I know this because they got a friend of mine seen when she wasn't their patient but started bleeding at 9 weeks (on her wedding day
23.gif
) and was leaving for her honeymoon on the Monday morning.

You can always get emergency care here, and you can definitely see someone privately if you're at all worried!

Let me know if I can give you any more advice on London or anything!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

I would definitely call around, pin down your OB/GYN and make an appt. for when you get back, then go and have a great time! If they are able to see you and want to do bloodwork before hand, great, but if not I think you should be fine until 10 weeks.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hey Circe, first of all... CONGRATULATIONS!

On your OB search: I had a fancy schmancy OB who I did NOT like (too pushy, tried to force me to get a D&C, had too many patients) and now I have found a wonderful OB who has glowing reviews from the city's best doulas and baby yoga enthusiasts. He is also way more skilled because he is so intelligent in his care. His office isn't as ritzy but his care is first class. I'd be happy to msg the admin to send along the info. I sent Bella his info as well a while back. Let me know!

So excited for you!
36.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, you guys are awesome - thanks for giving me so much food for thought, and so much practical information!

E B - you make a really excellent point. I wouldn''t say that ignorance is ever bliss, but ... if something is wrong at these early stages, either my body will let me know right quick, or there''s not much they could do about it. (Knocks wood, and hopes all is well with this pregnancy: also, notes to stop being so superstitious, or conversation will be conducted entirely in wood-based Morse code for the next 9 months.) My lovely, soon-to-be-retired gyno''s office is happy to do blood work for me, so I''ll drop by tomorrow: they also said they''d have an ultrasound form available for me, but that I should keep it for week 7 or thereabouts. Perhaps if I explain the circumstances ...? Your advice is awesome and lovely and personal, and I appreciate it more than I can say.

drk - that''s a good point, too. I wonder how soon they can pick up on where the little beans implant? I will very definitely double check with my doctor''s office tomorrow to see if there''s anything they can do to accomodate this ... and, like you say, I''m going to be in England and Sweden. Not exactly exotic locations far from medical facilities, in worst case scenario!

Charbie - that''s a really good suggestion! I wish I''d thought of that when I was talking to them on Friday - instead I dithered and stuttered and changed the appointment date a dozen times! D''oh. Bliss offered to put me in touch with her doc down below (which I am *so* taking her up on), and I figure I''ll spend the morning browsing New York magazine''s list of best docs, and calling around. I *think* I can make it to ten weeks without turning into a basket case: then again, I also usually *think* I''ll be able to resist the last cookie in the box. Creature of impulse and neuroses that I am ... not so much.

Mara - thank you! I like the way you think, with the long-term! I am so torn on this: on the one hand, me and my neuroses want some confirmation! On the other hand ... me and my emotions want my husband (and London doesn''t hurt, either). I think I may have to try for a compromise candidate, to avoid driving myself star, raving crazy. And you''re probably right about Option B ... it was born out of desperation. So, one way or another, I''ll try to enjoy my traveling while I can ...
41.gif

Mrs Mitchell - I find that really heartening! Your travels sound really awesome, and v. inspiring! I''m going to put a call into Cigna ASAP tomorrow morning (they''re usually pretty good, so I''m crossing my fingers and hoping that The Awesome crosses borders). The early pregnancy assessment unit is something I''d never heard of - that sounds fascinating. Is it exactly what it sounds like? Or are there restrictions/conditions? I will have to Google this ...

P.S. - Thank you! I''m just over the moon.
4.gif

Fiery - thanks for the tip. I''m going to spend tomorrow morning calling every doctor in the city to see what the earliest appointment I can get will be ... and, like Mrs. Mitchell above, I find your travels v. heartening! BTW, I don''t think I''d seen your new icon before - your daughter is beautiful!

MC - thanks you for the tip! I will definitely check the insurance, and go from there ....

Pandora - is it too late to put together a GTG?
41.gif
Knowing that the v. rational British system wouldn''t be worrying makes me feel a little more calm about things myself. (And knowing that there *are* emergency facilities, and specifically where they are, even more so.) Thank you! And I will probably start another thread asking for London tips - I''ve been before, but only one whirlwind trips. With three (potential, fingers-crossed) weeks, I''d finally get to do all the things I never managed to squeeze in - everything from the Crown Jewels to Portobello Road!

Bliss - thank you! And thank you twice over ... I accept the offer with alacrity and enthusiasm.
41.gif
Finding a good doctor can be such a challenge - knowing this one comes pre-screened by someone I trust makes me feel really comfortable. I appreciate it!

And now, after a lovely day of feting my mom, at all of 7.37, I am exhausted. Pregnancy is awesome, but the first weeks can require a little more sleep than I''m used to getting ... man, if I do go to London, I am going to be quite the party animal.
41.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hey Circe! I just msg''d the Admin with the info!
35.gif
He is really great - in fact, all of the OBs in his office are excellent. Women fight over them! LOL

Good luck and happy & safe travels! I''m seeing him on Monday so I''ll tell him to take good care of you! I am sure he will laugh because I''ll have to mention PS. LOL

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like I jumped the gun on this thread a little, as I just started bleeding. I am off to feel like an ass now, but I do appreciate all of the advice you guys tendered.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
No, no... Circe, it may be normal. Sending you all my prayers. Some women experience bleeding and think they''ve gotten their periods only to discover later that they were pregnant. Do you think it is spotting? Can you go to the hospital now? It might make you feel better to get checked out. I hear many stories were women go to the ER and find out on the u/s that everything is fine. Praying that it''s just spotting. HUGS... I''m so sorry.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Oh Circe! My heart just sank into my stomach. I hope all turns out ok. I so hope that it is just some normal spotting. I am praying for you and your DH right now.

And you should NOT feel bad for starting this thread, as anyone who has gotten multiple + pregnancy tests will constantly have questions beginning from the moment that line appears! A special bond begins momentarily, and you want to do all that you can immediately.

Please keep us updated if you would like to.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Keeping you in my thoughts, Circe, and praying that this is just normal spotting and everything is ok...

H

hlpkaixin3344

Hi, guys - now I may be feeling like an ass twice over for freaking y''all out, or I may be upset ...? I don''t even know. TMI:

The blood was red when I first saw it (I am assuming all pregnant ladies do the automatic TP check). But after the first sighting, it went away - over night, there was only a little brown spotting. So now I am worried and anxious and confused in equal parts - I never had any bleeding with my first pregnancy, so I don''t know what this *means.*

May, I cannot wait for 9 o''clock so I can call my gyno and beg for a same-day appointment ....

Thank you all so much for your concern - Fiery, Bella, Bliss, Charbie, I really appreciate it. Will definitely let you know how it turns out ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oddness - that was me, obvs, but it posted as anonymous despite my being logged in and then wouldn''t let me re-login on FireFox. But, on the plus side, since Lilac and I cross-posted - thank you. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the same thing, and for some reassurance from my doctor!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Circe, I''m thinking about you. Fingers crossed it''s just a little spotting or implantation bleeding and that you get some good news asap.

I''ll tell you more about the early pregnancy assessment units here later - let''s hear that all is well first.

Thinking about you. Hugs.

Jen

E B

Ideal_Rock
So many women have bleeding during healthy pregnancies, so it may mean nothing serious, esp. if it was just a little and has stopped.

I hope you''re able to get an appointment and find that everything is okay. You''re in my thoughts!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like it''s going to be a looooooooong week - the dr''s office wants me to come in for blood now, and again on Friday to see what the levels are like. They did not sound hopeful about the odds/results of an ultrasound.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 9:21:12 AM
Author: Circe
Looks like it's going to be a looooooooong week - the dr's office wants me to come in for blood now, and again on Friday to see what the levels are like. They did not sound hopeful about the odds/results of an ultrasound.

Oh, Circe...I know how rough the wait is. When I had my betas read (?) during my pregnancy with Henry, I found this website to be helpful: Betabase.info

Under the 'Your Betas' link, you can enter the two numbers they give you (with your DPO, if you know them) and it'll calculate your doubling time.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust and hugs to you Circe.

I''ve been there too. I know how worrying it is. Worrying is such an understatement really. Hoping that all is well. Don''t lose hope.

Hugs

Jen

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thinking about you Circe... I agree that bleeding does not always mean the worst. I had a little bleeding in the early weeks, and thought it was my period, but a few days later nothing had come. Hang in there, stay positive!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you, Circe. I had a little bleeding early in my pregnancy and everything turned out okay. I hope the same for you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, the ultrasound did not, in point of fact, show anything (at 5 weeks and an estimated 4 days, I''m not surprised by this), though the doctor did rule out the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy. No blood test results till tomorrow, and then more bloodwork later this week.

Till then, I just don''t know WHAT to think. I know a lot of women bleed during the first trimester and have perfectly healthy babies (thanks, guys, for all of your reassurances - it is different when it is someone you know, even if you only "know" them on the internet, then it is when it''s a faceless statistic in a book). But I still sort of feel like if I saw red blood this early, I should be scared.

But being scared won''t help with anything, so ... I guess I get to spend this week trying to be Zen. I have a deadline anyway, so ... why not?

E B - thanks so much for the good thoughts, and for the link (I will undoubtedly be back here tomorrow, trying to puzzle out numbers).

Mrs Mitchell - it really is. I work with words for a living, and we just don''t have a single word that covers all of this. Hope feels like a luxury, but ... it''s also the best option. So, hope it is! Hope, and work to take my mind off of it.

Mara - thank you. I actually did have implantation bleeding, or a light period, or something at the beginning of all this, but since it lasted all of a day, I figured something was up ... and when I tested a week later, lo and behold! That''s part of what makes this such an emotional roller-coaster - up! down! up! down! Up? Ugh. So I''m just going to cross my fingers and hope that all will be well and I''ll be another member of that statistic on many women bleeding without ill results ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results