color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

mtabh

Rough_Rock
random_thought said:
mtabh|1342707712|3236574 said:
I apologize in advance for the TMI.

How long after ovulation and fertilization does implantation occur?!

I'm spotting. I could be blowing this out of proportion, but it could mean BFP!!

I can't express my excitement through text. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I believe it happens 7-10 days after ovulating. Good luck!

Does anyone else get sick when they ovulate? I get horrible menstrual periods and so I'm thinking it has to do with the hormones. No real reason for this except that I wanted to complain about it and my husband probably doesn't want to listen to it lol ("Just tell me when you get a bfp, no need for the other details, I know what I need to do for my part" lol)

That's what I was thinking. Crossing my fingers!

I don't get sick when I ovulate but I do have more discharge. Eww. DH doesn't want to know about that, either. Haha.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

mtabh, fingers crossed for you!

Clover

Rough_Rock

Hi there! I've been a lurker for a long time and would like to jump into this thread.

My husband and I have a little boy who will be turning two in September and we'd like to start trying for a sibling. We were lucky the first time around as it was very easy for us. :) This month I started charting and using the wondfo test strips. According to the strips, my LH level increased this weekend but the test line never got as high as the control line, and today the test line is pretty much gone. Is it possible that I still ovulated? Can your LH level increase slightly, but not surge enough to ovulate? I still BF once at night and AF just returned for the fist time last month so my cycle still may not be regular.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clover, how often were you testing? I noticed on the month that I got a BFP that my surge was VERY short. I took a test at lunch and it was clearly not as dark as the control line. Then I took another at 9pm and it was positive. By the morning, the line faded out again.

Good luck!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Random, I would sometimes get a little nauseous around O. I think the hormone shift can cause that.

Mtabh, I hope that spotting is a good sign!

Clover

Rough_Rock

Pupp, thanks. I'll admit that I was pretty obsessive with the strips this weekend. I went through about 5-6 each day. I also tried a Clearblue test and that was negative.

I've been temping too but that's been all over the place because I'm up so often during the night with my LO. He's not a great sleeper.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clover, lol - maybe you can commiserate with us over in the "my two year old won't sleep in his room" thread! :lol: DS is a poor sleeper too but had a streak of several good months. Good thing that was when we were TTC!

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Clover, if you were testing 5 or 6 times during the day, you should have seen it get dark enough. My surge is only about 2 hours long, very very short, and even testing at 4 times a day, I was able to see it. You probably ovulated overnight, on the day that your tests were getting darker.

mtabh- any update?!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mere, happy anniversary/first appointment week! :appl:

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Thank you! MIL offered to watch C for the night tomorrow, so DH and I can go out to dinner and then go to my appointment the next morning, without having to run him all over town :)

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

Just wanted to come in and update, 13dpo and still BFN ( :roll: )
I've had cramping since I o'ed which is frustrating because I know my mind can't trick me into the cramps I've been feeling, all like pinches on the left side and some sore bbs (dh thinks they seem bigger but I'm a G cup so it's kind of hard to tell haha) and just lots of fatigue tonight. AF is due tomorrow so fingers crossed she thinks I'm still in colorado this week and misses me! (Visiting the inlaws in ND this week :)) )

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Clover, I'm not TTC, but am tracking my ovulation until DH and I decide to TTC #2. And I'm only using Wonfos since it's rare for me to get uninterrupted sleep with a 5-month-old. I don't have a super short LH surge, but still sometimes have a tough time diciphering a + using the wondfos. I use the Clear Blue Easy digital ovulation test to double check when I think I'm close. Also, nearly every time I ovulate I have an LH surge without a +, then it fades and THEN I have another surge that results in a +.

I know everybody has a hard time during the TWW, but I had a harder time waiting to ovulate because I felt like it was sometimes hard to pinpoint.

Clover

Rough_Rock

NEL, I'm still having a hard time with the Wondfos. Last week at this time there was no trace of LH on the strips, after seeing the line appearing to darken the previous few days, so I figured I had ovulated at some point and just didn't catch the surge. Then yesterday the line showed up again and even darker than ever before. I don't know what the deal is.

I'm going to continue temping through this cycle and see what my chart looks like in the end, but my temps have been all over the place.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady said:
I use the Clear Blue Easy digital ovulation test to double check when I think I'm close.

This is what I did as well. The month I got pregnant I had what seemed like very obviously positive OPKs. But for some reason, I was never able to get a smiley face. Not sure if I had a bad batch or what.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

Went to check again this morning and instead got stupid ole AF :((
Ordered some wondos hpt to use for next month and got my charting updated better. The good news? My cycle is only 27 days, shorter than I had thought.

Also heads up- tried 3 blue dye tests. 1 was broken and 2 gave me evap lines instantly. Not a happy camper about that, hence why I got new ones for next month.

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

I'm feeling kind of down. I got a "mostly" positive OPK 12 days ago, so I think I just missed catching the positive by a couple hours, but I think I ovulated. Around 6-7 days later, I was having abdominal cramps, bloating, and a bit of brown discharge (accompanied by 2-3 tiny drops of blood) and I was praying it was implantation bleeding. I thought it might be AF coming early, as it was my first month off BCP, but it was just that one bit of spotting and then that was it, so I was hoping maybe it was implantation bleeding.

Of course I then started testing way too early (8DPO) and got negatives and told myself it was just too early to test and tried to stay positive. Took 2 tests each day since then - all negative. Now it's 11DPO and still getting negatives - on both Wondfos and a FRER that I took yesterday.

I'm on day 30 of this cycle with no AF (I used to have 28 day cycles, but then again, that was 4 and a half years ago pre-BCP, so who knows what they'll be like now). I wish I would either get a positive HPT or just get AF already - the *not knowing* is really killing me. It's like I keep trying to convince myself that I'm DEFINITELY not pregnant and I keep trying to tell myself that it's ok because I really didn't expect to get pregnant first time off BCP, but then that little voice in the back of my head creeps in and makes me wonder if mayyyybe that really was implantation bleeding... and mayyyyyybe it's still just too early to test and I could be pregnant... and each time I take another test I go to look at it thinking mayyyyybe it'll be positive this time... but it never is. And I know realistically these are probably all just side effects from stopping the pill.

To all the ladies who go through this every month: I don't know how you do it. I told myself 100 times I wouldn't let myself obsess over this or try to "symptom-spot" for pregnancy symptoms, but somehow still I can't help myself and it's only the first month and I'm driving myself crazy. And I'm pretty sad too. I guess as much as I wanted to try to stay relaxed about it, I was really, really hoping it would happen this month. :((

ETA: I just read this post again and feel like I should apologize for sounding so depressed about this when it's only my first month trying. I know some of you have been trying for much longer than I have and I feel really bad complaining about this when it's only month 1 so far for me. :oops:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

I don't usually post here these days but I wanted to just say its okay. Don't beat yourself up about feeling disappointed. It stinks to get a bfn whether it's your 1st or 10th cycle. Most couples take 6 months at most, and from what I've seen from my time on the board here, a LOT only take 3-4. So chin up, odds are your bfp is right around the corner! :) Regarding testing, I still test too early and I e been at this since October! I figure it's a sign of hope and optimism. I'm not ready to part with those things, so I don't worry too much about it. Fertility frie d did a study that basically says you can usually trust whatever result you get on 12 dpo or later. Before that it truly is much more likely to be negative even if you are pregnant. So I take that to mean I am free to test earlier but don't put much stock into any bfn until 12+ dpo. forgive any typos and lack of emoties, posting from my phone. :)

Eta: your first post pill cycle will be weird. Actually for me the first two of them were. You *might* not have actually ovulated, it's very very common after stopping the pill And not a reason for concern long term. I'd highly suggest temping. If you can handle it and be consistent, it's hands down the best way to learn where you're at re: ovulation. It won't tell you when you're going to ovulate, only confirm it. After a few months of steady patterns though it will be a useful tool to predict when you typically ovulate. Hopefully you don't need it, but I think it helps to feel like we have a little more control in this crazy ttc environment.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

I know this thread is quiet, but curious: has anybody ever gotten a false positive on their digi? I got a positive on my digi, but didn't get AF for another 21 days, so I feel like it had to be false. We aren't actively TTC, so I didn't bother testing again after the positive on my digi, but now I wish I'd continued to test.

I have had multiple surges in the past, that's the norm for me (and one of the reasons I got a digi), but I've never gotten a false positive on the digi before.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

NEL, I was curious and had to see why you were posting in this thread again :) To answer your question, while I was TTC, I never had a false positive OPK (digi or otherwise), but then again my situation is probably a little different because I have shortish cycles and never had multiple surges.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, NEL!

I'm far from an expert, but I think that if you regularly have multiple surges, what you experienced probably wasn't a false positive. The digi most likely caught one of your surges correctly, then for whatever reason you didn't ovulate, and then you had another surge later on which led to ovulation.

This actually happened to me this cycle. I got a positive with a digi on CD15, negative with a digi on CD16, then no temp rise, then another positive with another digi (yes, I waste a lot of $$!) on CD18 followed by a temp rise. I'd never had that happen before and had the same question as you - "was that a false positive?" Then I consulted Dr. Google and came to the conclusion I probably just had two surges this month.

I also had an anovulatory cycle last year where I got a positive on a digi and then never had a temp rise. Eventually AF came, but my surge never led to ovulation.

Not sure if you are temping, but if you are, that would probably give a better sense of what happened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, ladies! Curly, I think you're right that the digi caught the surge and I just didn't ovulate, which is par for the course for my body. I'm not temping right now because I have a 6-month-old and every time she stirs on my monitor, I wake up. And also, I hate to temp unless I'm actively TTC.

MP, I just realized I didn't immediately specify that I meant my digi OPK, haha. I probably should have mentioned that. And D and I were seriously considering having #2 ASAP, but now that K is in her own room, has a regular bedtime and is STTN, we don't want to rock the boat. Still, we agreed to discuss it on a cycle-by-cycle basis. With my impossibly long cycles, that means we have three opportunities per year to TTC. Kidding. Mostly!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

Hey NEL,

I agree with Curly. LH surges don't alway guarantee ovulation. On my BFP cycle I got a positive on the digi OPK and we got all excited and DTD but I didn't end up ovulating until about a month later after my second positive OPK. OPKs can be frustrating with irregular cycles. The strips were way worse for me too though, they almost always were positive during my long cycles. What about not trying but not avoiding for #2? You'll have at least nine months of glorious sleep before the baby comes!

moxie.moo

Shiny_Rock

NEL I have had false positives on the digital smileys before, especially right after my period first came back. Some cycles were 70 days, but I'd have a smiley around CD28, and then nothing.

Clover

Rough_Rock

NEL, I had two surges this cycle too. I think I may have ovulated after the second surge I had a week ago but I'm not certain since I'm not temping either. Hopefully I'll find out if I did in about another week with either a positive HPT or the arrival of AF. These irregular cycles are killing me. :rolleyes:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, ladies. Interesting, maybe multiple surges aren't as uncommon as I thought!

Clover, keeping my fingers crossed for you. And irregular cycles are the worst!

Moxie, ugh 70-day cycles? So frustrating. Waiting forever is tough when TTC, but even when not TTC, it's frustrating to try to figure out when to "prepare" for AF. I swear I wore a pad for a week because I was paranoid about having AF show up at work out of the blue.

Mia, I agree that the strips are tough when you have multiple surges. That's the main reason I wanted the digi as backup. Not to mention the fact that I can go through a 50-pack of wondfos on just one cycle. I love the idea of not trying, but not avoiding. I think I was able to do that for a month when TTC #1 before I went into super crazy we-have-to-time-this-better mode. Patience is not a strength of mine, but maybe I'll be more laid back the second time. Ha!

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

I've definitely heard of multiple surges!

We used OPK for the first time this month and I got my smiley :) We dtd 2 days before o and on the day of so I'm really hoping it takes! 4dpo right now....

Lavender_81

Rough_Rock

RT - good luck with the 2WW - sounds like you timed it well!

Clover - fingers crossed this is your month!!

NEL - those OPKs are driving me nuts - I originally thought I had 2 surges, but then realized neither one was truly as dark as the control line so I actually think in the end I didn't have any positive OPKs. The smiley test would be easier to read (so much less subjective!)... NTNP sounds like it could be a nice laid-back option for you for now until you and DH decide to go all out trying!

It's been so slow over here this month. AFM, I've been trying to stay away a little bit because I keep getting myself all anxious and depressed about this whole process, but basically for me nothing has changed. Went off the pill July 1, tomorrow is CD50 and nothing has happened.

I had pregnancy symptoms for a while around CD25-ish but then the symptoms went away so I think it was just my body adjusting to being off the pill. I don't think I ever actually ovulated (I think I read the OPK wrong when I originally thought it was positive - so I'm relatively sure I didn't ovulate at all since coming off the pill). I've been going for acupuncture and every time she says she's trying to 'make my cycles regular' and bring on AF but nothing has worked so far. Who knows if the acupuncture really works anyway for that (I go to her for chronic migraines, but when I stopped the pill and told her I wanted to get pregnant, she said she would start treating me for that as well).

I'm so afraid I'm going to be in this waiting game for months and months and months - no ovulation, no AF, no cycle at all. No chance to even actually TRY to get pregnant. I expected my cycles to be a bit irregular coming off the pill, but I never expected them to be NONEXISTENT. I don't know if I should call my doctor, but then again, there's probably not much she can/will do for me at this point. i don't know.

My best friend was due last Friday so she'll be having her baby any day now. I'm so happy for her, but it just makes it harder now emotionally for me and DH. My friend got pregnant her first try off the pill and she said to me this week, "I think people just don't realize they need to relax - if they relax, it'll happen!" (we weren't talking about me - she doesn't even know I'm TTC - but it just really was frustrating to hear her say that when she has no idea what this is like). The weekend was spent with several pregnant friends, who all make comments about how I'm not pregnant (they think they're joking around, but now it just hurts) and it just was very hard to be around all weekend. I'm trying not to think about this so much, but sometimes I feel like I just need to TALK to someone who understands about this stuff but can't talk to anyone other than DH...

Sorry for the long post - hope everyone is having a nice week!

Clover

Rough_Rock

Random - Good luck! I can't wait to see what the next two weeks brings. :)

Lavender - The ups and downs of TTC are very hard! Before we started, I was hoping I'd be one of those laid back people that just go with the flow, but after the first month I pretty much became obsessed. I've been off the pill for a few years now but when I first stopped taking it I remember reading that on average it takes about two-three months for your cycle to normalize. Hopefully it won't be too much longer for yours to get back on track.

AFM, I thought I had perfect timing based on my positive OPKs last week. Then on Sunday, which was about 6 dpo, I started spotting and thought for sure that it was implantation bleeding. But, no, it turned out to be the start of AF. :nono: The worst part is that I know I o'd only about 6 days before that so I guess I have a short luteal phase. I read that Red Raspberry Leaf tea and B6 supplements help to lengthen it so I ordered those yesterday. Does anyone have experience with short luteal phase or have other suggestions as how to lengthen it?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

Lavender, did you have irregular cycles before you went on the pill? If so, they'll likely go back to being irregular. If not, then you probably are just one of the "lucky" ones that take up to 6 months for your ovulation to return. If you haven't gotten your period by the 60 day mark though I think you can go to your GP and ask them to give you something (I can't recall what it is, but a quick google will probably tell you). It basically "resets" your cycle and brings on menstruation.

Big hugs. I remember way back when I stopped the pill last October before my first ovulation/AF came back. It's an anxious period of time. Not to fret too much though! There have been some recent graduates that took a LONG time to ovulate after the pill, only to get a BFP (mia, I believe?). ;)) On the flip side, I got mine straight away and ovulate regularly but haven't gotten a bfp yet. This isn't to say "woe is me". It's to say that while it's frustrating and stressful to wait to get to try, the timing of your ovulation doesn't really have any bearing on your fertility at this point. It's just super annoying! Good luck! :))

ETA: If you're not charting your temps, it'd be a GREAT time for you to do so. It'll help you feel more pro-active and give you something to take to your doctor if/when you do have to go. Fertility Friend is a fantastic website for charting basics!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

tammy77|1345749600|3256059 said:
Not to fret too much though! There have been some recent graduates that took a LONG time to ovulate after the pill, only to get a BFP (mia, I believe?). ;))

Well this is partially true! I had been off the pill for YEARS and unfortunately my body never really got back to a "regular" cycle. :rolleyes: BUT, I was able to get pregnant quickly and on a cycle where I ovulated on CD44! I'm 13 weeks now even though I was in your exact shoes a few months ago Lavender! I know so well how you are feeling right now. I had many of the same feelings going from "Yay TTC is going to be so much fun!" to "OMG I'm never going to ovulate!" straight to "TTC sucks!" First off just think this is your first cycle! If you haven't ovulated yet it means there is still a chance! I once ovulated on CD75 of a cycle! But I've also had some cycles that were only 26 days where I didn't ovulate. In those cases it was like my body just gave up and moved to the next cycle. If you had a positive it was likely that your body was/is trying to ovulate.

Do some research on late ovulation. I did when I was deciding whether to keep trying in my long cycle and from what I read late ovulation doesn't make the eggs any less viable or "old." According to this doctor late ovulation is associated with "high antral follicle count, i.e. a good ovarian reserve." http://www.fertility.ca/2008/06/how-your-menstrual-cycle-reflects-your-egg-quality/ Anyway my point is I think first you need to decide whether you want to get pregnant on a long cycle (if you think there may be risks to egg quality, etc.). I personally chose to continue and my baby is healthy so far, but I totally understand why some may worry about the unknowns.

If you are "over" this cycle and just want to start fresh, I would recommend asking your doctor to give you provera (I think that's what it is called) which is a pill that can restart your period. I have used it twice in the past and it worked for me both times. The down sides to this pill are that I have read for some women it doesn't work. When it does work, it only gives you a "withdrawal bleed" which is the same fake period you get from the pill. So it's kind of like going off the pill again which may or may not mean that you will ovulate on the next cycle. In other words sometimes it can kind of reboot your system, but it doesn't cure long cycles or actually cause ovulation. So many of the complaints about it are from women who would have had irregular cycles anyway. I wasn't charting either time that I took it in the past so I can't tell you if I actually ovulated, but I did have a "regular length" cycle after taking it.

I really agree with Tammy that you should definitely consider charting temps. I had a lot of people make that comment "You'll never get pregnant if you don't relax and just let it happen" and A. they were wrong (not that I am condoning obsessing over TTC but I did get pregnant and I wasn't at all relaxed about it") and B. I was sooooo grateful to actually know when I ovulated. When I thought I was going to ovulate the first time, sure I was a little let down when it didn't happen, but at least I didn't go on for 2 weeks thinking I might be pregnant. I knew there was no chance. And now that I am pregnant I am very grateful that I know the exact date that I ovulated because I was able to tell my doctor my due date. Doctors will go by your last menstrual period and they will treat you like you are further along then you are, so it is good to know when you actually ovulated. I had to go to several ultrasounds for dating in the beginning. On the first one I should have been 7.5 weeks based on my last period but they couldn't see anything because I was only actually 8dpo! All of my paperwork said "possible miscarriage/ectopic" because they have to treat it that way when your last period was so long ago. Knowing when I actually ovulated gave me such peace of mind. Anyway, I know some people hate taking temps, but it was really helpful to an irregular cycle chick like me!

And all this is not to say that your body might not return to normal after this one crazy long cycle. It totally might! It's very common for the body to have an adjustment period after the pill. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results