shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks Skippy! I''m actually in Southern California, but maybe Freke, Mara, and I could all do a franchise business. "Cupcakes in the Rough"? "PriceCakes"? LOL

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 11:24:41 AM
Author: ladypirate
Aww, thanks Skippy! I'm actually in Southern California, but maybe Freke, Mara, and I could all do a franchise business. 'Cupcakes in the Rough'? 'PriceCakes'? LOL
hehe You guys should!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

SDL, I''ve been meaning to tell you, I love the new avatar! Way cute.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is dangerous! Thanks for all the great recipes!
36.gif

I hope to get back to baking soon (damn diet!) :)
38.gif

Mara - Your cupcakes look professional! Awesome job! You should publish a PS cookbook of some sort.
1.gif

You are making me hungry though!
emcry.gif

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i saw this stop motion movie and though of this thread! all of your cupcakes look so delicious!

enjoy! (i esp love the ending :) )

Cupcake Dance

from youtube :

I had a batch of cupcakes that didn't turn out so well but i wanted to do something with them before i threw them out. I had recently purchased iStopMotion for my Mac and wanted to try it out. I hooked my computer up to my Nikon S200 to snap the images. You can see the movie jump twice when i had to change the battery. In total there are 1019 still images in this video at 15 fames per second.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
SDL - Those look great! You are so strong not to have eaten one!
18.gif

Feel free to ship some out to Chicago!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh LP your cake looks so great!!!! getting the hang of piping gel eh??? i just can''t get into that really, something about a clear gel on my cake doesn''t work hahaha...i am such a frosting gal. but the inside shot, OOH love it....4 layer yumminess...i am such a layer lover now!! and how yummy was the buttercream...esp with lemon curd..yum!

SDL your cuppies are too cute, and yes isn''t that frosting to die for???

we got home last nite and i wanted to make cupcakes!!! i was like 2-3 days without them, i''m addicted!

PS totally needs a cupcakery or rather just a flat out good, cute bakery. hmmm!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 9:49:48 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 4/16/2008 7:59:55 PM

Author: ringster

i saw this stop motion movie and though of this thread! all of your cupcakes look so delicious!

enjoy! (i esp love the ending :) )

Cupcake Dance

from youtube :

I had a batch of cupcakes that didn''t turn out so well but i wanted to do something with them before i threw them out. I had recently purchased iStopMotion for my Mac and wanted to try it out. I hooked my computer up to my Nikon S200 to snap the images. You can see the movie jump twice when i had to change the battery. In total there are 1019 still images in this video at 15 fames per second.

THAT was so totally cute. Ook, for cupcakes.
9.gif
lol

glad you liked it SDL :)!

your cupcakes are so yummy looking - i think i gained 10 pounds just looking at those pics!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 12:49:18 PM
Author: Mara
oooh LP your cake looks so great!!!! getting the hang of piping gel eh??? i just can''t get into that really, something about a clear gel on my cake doesn''t work hahaha...i am such a frosting gal. but the inside shot, OOH love it....4 layer yumminess...i am such a layer lover now!! and how yummy was the buttercream...esp with lemon curd..yum!

SDL your cuppies are too cute, and yes isn''t that frosting to die for???

we got home last nite and i wanted to make cupcakes!!! i was like 2-3 days without them, i''m addicted!

PS totally needs a cupcakery or rather just a flat out good, cute bakery. hmmm!

and mara, i think i gained 30 pounds looking at all your pics lol!
6.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha thanks ringster!! i think i've gained a few lbs hehee from eating cuppies!

sdl...yeah it's funny...some people are just so gung ho about cuppies and other people aren't. many of my coworkers like sweets so they will eat whatever i bring. but one of my friends LOVES my cupcakes and while she will buy them too, she prefers mine over anything bought. so cute.

so it just depends..!! don't let it get you down...i love making them regardless of who eats them! hehee.

i just made some more vanilla buttermilk ones from the PB recipe...but added even more vanilla and buttermilk this time. i am still trying to get the cake recipe super vanilla buttermilk like the one in SF...and vanilla seems to bake out of the recipe slightly so i am still tweaking it. i added mini PB cups into about 1/3 of the cuppies because they were such a hit so i figured why not.

for frosting i am going to do a strawberry cream cheese with rose extract in place of rose water and see how that goes, i found that combo online and it looked awesome with a vanilla cake. i am thinking on what i'll do for the pb filled ones...i might just melt them down and mix them with some confectioners and butter and make a light ganache. they don't need that much frosting, they are so good filled on their own.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so i got my cuppies done...i had a lot of fun tonite.

first off, the cupcakes came out PERFECT. i sooo found my go-to vanilla buttermilk recipe. it is basically same as the last pb filled one i posted but more vanilla and buttermilk. it''s really ''to taste'' but i find that vanilla bakes out a bit and i wanted more flavor in the cake. this is perfect.

i had leftover strawberry cream cheese from a week ago and found online that it keeps for 10 days. so i whipped it up, tasted it, it was yummy! so i used it. and then on the PB ones...i wanted to be all creative and cut corners...but what i was hoping would be a peanut butter chocolate frosting from melting mini PB cups and using heavy cream didn''t work out so well. the cups and cream turned out fab but then i added conf sugar to it while it was still hot and it got all globby and stuck together. adding pb and butter did not help. so i layered the glop (which tasted SO good btw) into the cupcake liners to the top of the baked cake, level with the liner and then piped the rest of the strawberry cream cheese on top. it worked out FAB...the result is a crazy rich pb filled vanilla cake with a 1/4" layer of pb chocolate buttercream and then strawberry cream cheese on top. wowza. but yes its yummy. i love xperiments.

so here''s my absolutely fabulous cake photo. so soft that it smushes down slightly when bit into and frosting comes down but it doesnt collape. love it!

vanilla buttermilk cupcake perfect.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is the crazy concoction...i didn''t smooth out the pb topping super well on this particular photo but you get the idea..! you can see the darkness under the strawberry filling the cup a little, that''s the pb topping stuff.

for anyone curious, here is how i made the pb topping:

mini peanut butter cups, melted in microwave. add tblsp heavy whipping cream, mix together.
add some confectioners sugar to bowl, mix in together. add 2 tbls softened butter, mix together.
add 2 tblsp peanut butter, mix together. add more sugar if you want. it''s mostly to taste.

it was super thick and globby, kind of like a ''filling'' of a peanut butter cup actually. not sure how i would have softened it more except adding maybe some more heavy cream. i didn''t have the patience to let it cool before starting to play with it, which might have been part of the problem. but it worked great for a filling topper. and i would imagine it''d be fab inside a cupcake too.

pb filled with strawberry done.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY Mara. You need to open your own bakery
9.gif

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BF bought me a dozen cupcakes for my birthday! I''m pretty excited...

Mara, what cuppies are you going to make next?

sera

Ideal_Rock
OKAYYYYYYYYYYY I am on a mmmmmmmmMajor sugar high from this Truffle Cake I made... as is everyone who partook... seriously!!!
runaround1.gif

The recipe for the 9" round, 2" deep cake and chocolate glaze included over four pounds of chocolate... yes... OVER.FOUR.POUNDS.
runaround1.gif
It's not "cake-like"... it's very much truffle-like.

The cake has 6oz unsweetened and 6oz of semisweet chocolate, 8oz unsalted butter, 5 large eggs, 1c sugar, 2 t pure vanilla extract, and 1/3c light corn syrup.
The glaze has 3lbs of semisweet chocolate, 1q of heavy cream, 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter and 1/2c light corn syrup. But hey... at least the light corn syrup brings it down to only 999,000 calories. (And to be fair, I didn't use all the glaze... I could have glazed two more 9" rounds... I didn't layer my glaze super thick).

Excuse the sloppy chocolate ladybugs and grass squigglies... it was late, I was tired and didn't have the right piping tip. The flash was on but that chocolate still is soooo dark.

Everyone at work LOVED it... all one coworker could say was, "Oh! Oh my gosh! OH.MY.GOSH this is so good. OH!..."

I got the recipe from The Whimsical Bakehouse.

chocolatetrufflecake.w.ladybugs.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sera,

Beautiful cake and it looks DELICIOUS!!!! Makes me want to dive right into it
14.gif

Linda

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a nice batch of MrsSalvo''s red velvets in the oven!
9.gif
Yum yum for the tum!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy, I just finished frosting a batch of red velvets with cream cheese frosting, they were lip smackin'' good! I managed to make squillions though so I think I''ll have to take them to work... fortunately doctors and nurses are born with a sweet tooth
25.gif
I think I must have overfilled the patty tins because they sort of imploded and the middle bit splodged out the sides on a few, and others are REALLY tall! VERY delish though
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi gang...glad to see the cupcake thread is still kinda going! i was out of town for work all week, but before i left i made these for our neighbors for dessert after the dinner we had with them.

chocolate mint ganache filled cupcakes...sooo yummy.

i used a devils food cake recipe from the Sweet Melissa baking book (fab recipes) and filled them with chocolate mint ganache where i melted chocolate and andes mints, mixed cream and butter in and let it cool slightly. scooped out a bit of the top of the cupake, put the filling in. buttercream was just the regular conf sugar and butter mixed with peppermint extract...i used more butter than sugar this time and it was fab.

i didn't LOVE the cake itself, because it used oil instead of butter and i felt i noticed, but it had a great texture thanks to the buttermilk i sub'd for milk. my friend who is a choco mint fiend said it was my best one yet...but i still want to try the recipe again with butter and no oil. but overall these things were AMAZINGLY RICH, like a MEAL. i only had one hahaa.

btw sera that cake looks FAB!

choco ganache finished sm.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yum! Mara that cupcake looks awesome! And sounds awesome too!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t done any baking lately, but I will! Three of my hubby''s friends are coming to visit on the weekend. I am so excited to have someone else to eat my treats, b/c uhh... it''s not good for us to eat them all! I''m thinking of doing something with apples. And maybe a red velvet. Or berry/lemon. Too many options. I also picked up some new piping tips too and the ice cream style scooper thing. Can''t wait to play with my new toys!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Mara, those look delicious!

I baked a cake yesterday for my dad and Kris'' joint birthday dinner on Tuesday and it came out DELICIOUS (based off the cupcakes I made with the extra batter). It''s a really super chocolatey cake brushed with kahlua and iced with dark chocolate ganache. I thinned out the extra ganache with kahlua and filled the cupcakes with it, and based off of those, the cake should be really yummy.

I got the recipe off of epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101275) and made it pretty much the same except I omitted the corn syrup from the ganache icing and added 2 Tbsp of kahlua to it instead. After being on vacation for the last week, I had to get my baking fix in yesterday!

I have my cake decorating class, so I''m bringing a few of the cupcakes rather than a whole cake to practice on. We''re learning figure piping (with clowns *shudders*--those things freak me out) and writing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness LP-reading this gave me the heebie jeebies. In school we have to use this chocolate piping gel to write in fancy calligraphy letters a different cake thing-and make it as long as possible, every night. And it had to be centered and perfect on the round cardboard thing. *shudders* It was so much harder than it sounded...But don't worry about it for you guys. The chef's were INCREDIBLY hard on us. If there was a little squiggle in the piping gel we'd have to do it over again. And the designs we had to do every night were awful too. And I'm not talking the piping gel you can buy in the grocery store-I mean piping gel in the little paper bags we made ourselves and it was about 1mm thick coming out. The thinner and more delicate looking, the better.

I found a pic! That I took with my old cell phone, so excuse the quality.

I'm seriously going to have nightmares tonight.

ETA! I had forgotten that they made us make designs around the edge like it was the top of a real cake! Ugh...

ETA Again! The double writing on Retirement is actually the shadow of the gel on the cardboard. We had round cardboards pieces that had plastic wrap wrapped around them and then heated over open flame to shrink wrap them and so it would stay overnight. Then we had to pipe on top of that. This brings back a lot of memories... And I was never very good at this part of the piping exercises...

piping gel.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2008 9:55:16 PM
Author: Mara
hi gang...glad to see the cupcake thread is still kinda going! i was out of town for work all week, but before i left i made these for our neighbors for dessert after the dinner we had with them.

chocolate mint ganache filled cupcakes...sooo yummy.

i used a devils food cake recipe from the Sweet Melissa baking book (fab recipes) and filled them with chocolate mint ganache where i melted chocolate and andes mints, mixed cream and butter in and let it cool slightly. scooped out a bit of the top of the cupake, put the filling in. buttercream was just the regular conf sugar and butter mixed with peppermint extract...i used more butter than sugar this time and it was fab.

i didn''t LOVE the cake itself, because it used oil instead of butter and i felt i noticed, but it had a great texture thanks to the buttermilk i sub''d for milk. my friend who is a choco mint fiend said it was my best one yet...but i still want to try the recipe again with butter and no oil. but overall these things were AMAZINGLY RICH, like a MEAL. i only had one hahaa.

btw sera that cake looks FAB!
Mara those cuppies look incredible, got me droolin''...
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So between this thread and diamondfan''s rolling ring one I had a weird dream last night. I was at Cartier in Vegas, and they had a ring that had a piped design on it- and it was wrong! it was supposed to be a yellow gold band with a platinum fleur de lis piped onto it-and it was all jacked up. I woke up horrified...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lp...that cake sounds yummy!!! freke love the picture!!

i made cuppies for my first Cupcake Hero last nite...here is a photo. i got so many nice compliments on them...they were so fun!!

they are local and organic carrot cupcakes baked in an unbleached natural liner with an 'organic carrot garden' on top. i just made one for the Cupcake Hero and then i frosted the rest with cream cheese and made a 3 layer 6" cake from the rest of the batter as well. crazy amount of cupcakes and cakes going on.

i used the Big Bill's Carrot Cake recipe from Dorie's book...but made adaptations to make it slightly more spicy and added more substantial white wheat flour, but I should have added more. the cakes are spongey and light but SO good. i love that they are not super dense like a 'meal'. the frosting is divine!!! greg ate two cuppies last nite and he wanted to break into the cake!!

hero done a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
building the fence!! it was super fun. the theme this month was Earth Day.

hero fence.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so cute Mara! Are those orange sprinkles?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah they are those orange jimmies...i had some halloween mixed ones and picked out the orange! desperate times, i love how they look like carrots!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara that idea of the carrot garden is adorable!! Looks like a heap of fun to do!

Not quite as glamorous as most of the cuppie extravaganzas posted here so far, but here''s a few members of the batch of red velvets I made on the weekend with lashings of cream cheese frosting and walnuts to boot. The cupcakes came out really tall! I think i must have overfilled the pattie tins a tad
14.gif
At any rate, they were delish. Snickerdoodle cupcakes are next on the list for me! I''ve also been given a recipe by a friend for vanilla cuppies with orange rind and orange juice, and since I am MAD for orange cake I''ll be giving them a go at some stage too!!

CuppiesRV1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results