shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, it doesn''t matter! Once you start with mixes, then I think you may want to try some actual recipes, as really it isn''t any more difficult! Like the carrot cake recipe I used for my cuppies, no harder than adding eggs and oil to a premade mix!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They turned out really pretty Lorelei! (Lorelei made these)

lcccups.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOOH!!! Thanks friend, you are too kind in posting that for me!!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are very welcome.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being unemployed...what in the world would I do with all those cupcakes...Lorelei, and Ellen, you are so sweet (NPI)...I have a box of confetti cake mix in my cabinet that needs to be used, but what on earth do I use for icing/frosting? Mix up some eggs and powdered sugar? Seriously...I love to bake but I'm never sure exactly what to do with the contents of my kitchen unless I call my poor mother and she guides me. Hee hee. ETA: beautiful cuppies, Lorelei!!! Those look much too pretty to eat...although I think I could gobble up a few!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Monnie!

You could make the confetti cake, then mix up a basic buttercream frosting, soft butter ( about a cup) in the mixer, then gradually add powdered sugar until you get the right consistency. This is what I used on my little cakes!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 9:15:54 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks Monnie!

You could make the confetti cake, then mix up a basic buttercream frosting, soft butter ( about a cup) in the mixer, then gradually add powdered sugar until you get the right consistency. This is what I used on my little cakes!
Well Thank you Lorelei...I think I can handle that. Now I just have to add stick butter to my grocery list (typically we just use spreadable "I can''t believe its not butter--lite")..but DH loves regular salted butter, so I will get some of that. Gosh, baking...requires some talent. I officially sound like an idiot.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 9:35:28 AM
Author: monarch64

Thanks Monnie!

Well Thank you Lorelei...I think I can handle that. Now I just have to add stick butter to my grocery list (typically we just use spreadable ''I can''t believe its not butter--lite'')..but DH loves regular salted butter, so I will get some of that. Gosh, baking...requires some talent. I officially sound like an idiot.
9.gif
NO YOU DON''T!!!!

Just get some unsalted or lightly salted stick butter and that should work fine, but I have used stick Parkay with decent results too if no butter!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are lovely Lorelei
face23.gif
now send one over
face20.gif
2.gif
hehe

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 9:38:13 AM

Thanks Monnie!

Well Thank you Lorelei...I think I can handle that. Now I just have to add stick butter to my grocery list (typically we just use spreadable ''I can''t believe its not butter--lite'')..but DH loves regular salted butter, so I will get some of that. Gosh, baking...requires some talent. I officially sound like an idiot.
9.gif
NO YOU DON''T!!!!

Just get some unsalted or lightly salted stick butter and that should work fine, but I have used stick Parkay with decent results too if no butter!
I think you are officially my PS mom, Lorelei. What do you think? LOL!

OK, so basically I need to put some regular ol'' butter of the stick variety in the fridge and I am good to go as far as baking with that, some eggs, and flour. (I actually have regular sugar, brown sugar, and confectioner''s or powdered sugar on hand). What am I missing? I have a fair enough mixer, not a hand mixer but not a fancy a$$ kitchenaid...(gasp...did I just say A$$?) Sorry. Anywho, I''m not even THAT interested in making cuppies but I think I want to just so I can prove to myself that I can! thanks a bunch, Lorelei...you''ve created a monster.
20.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 9:46:09 AM
Author: Skippy123
Those are lovely Lorelei
face23.gif
now send one over
face20.gif
2.gif
hehe
Hee! I would love to send you some over Skippers!
face20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 10:03:41 AM

Date: 3/29/2008 9:38:13 AM

Thanks Monnie!

9.gif
NO YOU DON''T!!!!

I think you are officially my PS mom, Lorelei. What do you think? LOL!

OK, so basically I need to put some regular ol'' butter of the stick variety in the fridge and I am good to go as far as baking with that, some eggs, and flour. (I actually have regular sugar, brown sugar, and confectioner''s or powdered sugar on hand). What am I missing? I have a fair enough mixer, not a hand mixer but not a fancy a$$ kitchenaid...(gasp...did I just say A$$?) Sorry. Anywho, I''m not even THAT interested in making cuppies but I think I want to just so I can prove to myself that I can! thanks a bunch, Lorelei...you''ve created a monster.
20.gif
9.gif
I am on the job as your PS Mom Monnie!!

Ok. With your butter or marg, it is always best for baking to have it at room temperature, otherwise it will take forever to soften. I normally take mine out of the fridge a couple of hours before I need it ( this time of year) in summer it would be an hour. You want it soft but not melting.

Here is a way to make an easy basic sponge mix which you can make basic cuppies with or even make a whole sponge cake.

Here is what you do.

Get 4 eggs and weigh them in their shells in your scales. Whatever they weigh ( for example 8 oz) then you use the same of granulated or caster sugar, self rising flour and butter/ marg. I have found this recipe foolproof for years.

So to make, assuming our eggs weigh 8 oz. Cream 8oz of softened butter or marg with 8oz of sugar in the mixer. Keep beating on a high speed until the mix becomes fluffy and pale, you will see it lightens after a few mins beating. Don''t forget to scrape the bowl periodically. Around this time, you can add a little vanilla extract for flavour. While the butter and sugar is being mixed, beat the eggs thoroughly in a bowl or jug.

Once the butter and sugar mix is pale and soft and fluffy, add a little drop of the beaten egg to the mix and beat in thoroughly before adding more. You need to go slowly here as the mix can curdle ( looks like scrambled eggs) - this can be caused by adding the egg too quickly. Don''t panic though as you can add a little flour which should remedy the situation. Slowly and gradually add the egg in small amounts and remember to beat well after each addition.

Once the egg has been incorporated, then slowly mix in the self rising flour. You don''t want to beat this in but fold it in carefully, to avoid knocking out the air which has been added with the sugar and butter/ egg beating.

Once the flour has been folded in, then fill your cuppie cases two thirds full and bake in a preheated moderate oven for 15 to 20 mins or until done, until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool, then frost as you wish.

This is a basic British sponge cake recipe which like I say, has served me well for years. It is a good recipe to do as it is good tempered and also once you have mastered the basic recipe, then you can adapt it and use it for all sorts of cakes,.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only thing I am lacking are scales, Lorelei/mom. ??? Do I really need a scale? I don''t think I do...so I''m thinking I can use the rest of the recipe and the spongecake/cupcakes will turn out fine. If a recipe calls for a certain number of eggs I can handle that...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 10:42:52 AM
Only thing I am lacking are scales, Lorelei/mom. ??? Do I really need a scale? I don''t think I do...so I''m thinking I can use the rest of the recipe and the spongecake/cupcakes will turn out fine. If a recipe calls for a certain number of eggs I can handle that...
I think scales would be best, as in baking small deviations can make a cake turn out not so well....
39.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 10:54:11 AM

I think scales would be best, as in baking small deviations can make a cake turn out not so well....
39.gif
so we''re talking scales as opposed to measuring cups? I''ve never even used scales before, not even in "home economics" in junior high school! But if you say so...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 10:57:42 AM

Date: 3/29/2008 10:54:11 AM

39.gif
so we''re talking scales as opposed to measuring cups? I''ve never even used scales before, not even in ''home economics'' in junior high school! But if you say so...
I always have used scales, I think it is the British way! I use cup measures for US recipes, but I always feel uncomfortable without scales!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw for frosting use unsalted butter as the water in the unsalted is way less than in salted so it helps keep the frosting more stiff. i never knew this and always thought salted was fine for baking but apparently not only does it have more salt but more water in it as well which can mess with your baking recipes for sure.

i''m going to try to upload a few piccies now before my zumba class...my computer is so overloaded though so we''ll see!!! the cc cuppies look so cute lorelei. i bought some mini flowers from my cake class lady that i used on these snickerdoodle ones but now that i have the wilton tip book i can make my own flowers and try them for decor!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the cuppies on a plate!! i used a pretty gold and white swirled liner.

snicker doodle cuppies a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and a cutie mini, i just made 3 of these but they were fun to decorate.

i have more photos but i''m late for zumba...gotta go work off my cupcake! back later.

mini snickera.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, those are beautiful Mara
3.gif
They are super professional looking
30.gif

What is the recipe and the recipe for the icing pls? Do they taste like snickerdoodles? YUM

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch--Just go to the grocery store and buy a cheap diet scale-they only cost about 5 dollars, and work just fine for small amounts of ingredients. I actually had to use one once when the recipe I was making was in weight measure, I was at my mom''s house and my electronic scale (drug dealer scale-at least that''s how I feel when I look at it sometimes! Its so something you''d see in one of those movies...). I just zipped over to the grocery store and picked one up for $5. Voila!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara-those look great! If I start a bakery- do you want a job?
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 1:02:42 PM
Author: Mara
btw for frosting use unsalted butter as the water in the unsalted is way less than in salted so it helps keep the frosting more stiff. i never knew this and always thought salted was fine for baking but apparently not only does it have more salt but more water in it as well which can mess with your baking recipes for sure.

i''m going to try to upload a few piccies now before my zumba class...my computer is so overloaded though so we''ll see!!! the cc cuppies look so cute lorelei. i bought some mini flowers from my cake class lady that i used on these snickerdoodle ones but now that i have the wilton tip book i can make my own flowers and try them for decor!!
Thanks Mara, yours look great too!!

Interesting about the salted butter, I will remember that for future frostings.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak, Lorelei and Mara
your cupcakes look great. Thanks for the tip on the unsalted butter.
I'll remember that.
dh isn't one to eat sweets (like me) but carrot cake would be his choice.
He tried one cupcake, said "Wow" and grabbed another. He's got a
picky palate so they must be good! This one is going in the book!

Hey Mara, you gonna share that recipe or what?
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 3:22:20 PM
Author: sevens one
neatfreak, Loreli and Mara
your cupcakes look great. Thanks for the tip on the unsalted butter.
I''ll remember that.
dh isn''t one to eat sweets (like me) but carrot cake would be his choice.
He tried one cupcake, said ''Wow'' and gabbed another. He''s got a
picky palate so they must be good! This one is going in the book!

Hey Mara, you gonna share that recipe or what?
31.gif
Yiss!
25.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the recipe gals! It's from I Heart Cuppycakes blog...she made the first ones with a box mix but then went back later and adapted the Billy's Vanilla Vanilla recipe for the snickerdoodles. They DO taste like the cookie...they smell SO GOOD, like the cookie. But I love the cupcake form big time!!

Random note...I actually made a booboo and used less flour than she notes ... I used 1c cake flour when really I needed both cf and all purpose (but I think I could just use more cake flour as I liked the texture)...so mine were a little too moist in the middle so I baked them a little longer but next time I will use appropriate flour amount and think they will come out even better.

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
Original Recipe (My adaptations in parentheses!)
Makes about 15 cupcakes (mine only made 9 large and 3 minis but that could be because I used less flour)

7/8 cup cake flour (I used 1c cake flour)
5/8 cup AP flour (I accidentally left this part out but they still came out fine just needed 2-3 extra min baking)
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder (I only used 1 tsp..because honestly I think this was a typo? 1 tablespoon is a lot!!)
3/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick/8oz) butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk (I used 1/2c buttermilk made by mixing ff milk and lemon juice)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tablespoon because I love vanilla!)
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used more like 1 tablespoon again, because I love cinnamon!)

For frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used the light cream cheese block and it came out great)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (again added a TON more cinnamon, like maybe 2 tblsp!!! they came out spicy but people liked them)
~2-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted (I start with 2c and then add to get consistency I want, thicker for piping is better)
1/4 cup butter, softened (I used 1/2 a stick only)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (Again used a bit more vanilla, like 1 tblsp)

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter (1 tbsp pieces at a time), mixing until just coated with flour. Add eggs, one at a time.

In a large glass measuring cup, whisk milk and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 1/3 increments, mixing before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.

MARA NOTE: I did not use the instructions above. Instead I did the cream the butter and sugar together, add eggs to combine, add vanilla, add buttermilk. And I mixed dry separately, and then folded them in. It would be interesting if someone tried the above way but I wanted to get more of a fluffy cakey thing going on, so I was very happy with the texture the way that I did it (more old fashioned way, right Miss Lorelei?!).

For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese together for a minute or two, then add powdered sugar to get consistency you want. Add vanilla and cinnamon then whip to finish. I wanted a really thick frosting for piping so I used a lot of powdered sugar!

What I would do diff next time? Use the additional flour, but keep it cake flour for a finer texture. Also I will use diff liners or use the nut and party cups because I didn't love the 'browning' of the cup paper on the tops of the big ones. Maybe also bake for 1-2 minutes less due to more flour. But otherwise I was really happy with them.

______

Enjoy ladies!! Here's another piccie, this is leftover cream cheese blue frosting I had from sunday so I whipped it up with some cinnamon and vanilla. I think it was a little too old because it had a bit of a refridgerated taste, but still decent. however I think in the future I'd only chill frosting like 1-2 days and then toss. The color on these was really cool though, kind of like a greeny blue frosting with speckles from the cinnamon. And I added a coarse grained cinnamon sugar I got from some kitchen store.

snicker blue cuppie.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great Mara!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 1:23:39 PM
and a cutie mini, i just made 3 of these but they were fun to decorate.

i have more photos but i''m late for zumba...gotta go work off my cupcake! back later.
HI Mara,
your cupcakes look sooooo amazing. My friend goes to zumba on sat morn in the south bay(san jose)- aren''t you in the southbay too? I heard it''s a great class! Just curious if it''s the same place. You are inspiring me to cook I mean bake some cupcakes! Yummy!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2008 3:53:19 PM

Instead I did the cream the butter and sugar together, add eggs to combine, add vanilla, add buttermilk. And I mixed dry separately, and then folded them in. It would be interesting if someone tried the above way but I wanted to get more of a fluffy cakey thing going on, so I was very happy with the texture the way that I did it (more old fashioned way, right Miss Lorelei?!).

You bet Mara! The old fashioned way works well!
16.gif
The cuppie looks gorgeous!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey miss freke, i was curious...based on the recipe i posted...how should these cupcakes have worked out? if i add the extra flour, what will happen? what about extra flour and an extra egg or egg white? a bit fluffier inside? i''m looking for a really soft moist cake but not too dense. these were very good but wondering what i can do to perfect them.

pave...yep i''m in the south bay, i take zumba on sat''s at my personal training facility over near downtown SJ. there are only about maybe 7 people in the class on any given day. i love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results