shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much Camille! i'll definitely have to try your recipe the next time. i don't know why i didn't think about how the weather could've affected it. not surprised though...i usually avoid making meringue on humid days.
3.gif

using cornstarch is definitely a good idea! i didn't have to use so much powdered sugar for the first batch, and i knew that most people usually don't. for the batch i made with the KA mixer though, i had to use more than the recipe amount since it wasn't getting stiff enough. oh well, i know for next time and good idea about the poured fondant! i've yet to make cupcakes using that...*ideas are churning*

aw, thanks DandiAndi! btw, those flavors sound delicious!! i can't wait to see them, and if by any chance there are any leftovers, you can send them my way.
2.gif

shimmer - your cakes and cuppies are making my mouth water!!!! they look beautiful and you've got some serious talent there!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vip, I agree your fondant looks AMAZING, the details are fabulous!!!!
36.gif

Shimmer, those cupcakes look delicious; have you checked out the cupcake blogs for recipes? Kudos on starting your own biz, that is fabulous!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
vip that cake is soooo awesome!!! your printing is amazing, my hands shake horribly, i am not a good writer at all.

i def want to take some fondant classes but haven''t gotten around to it yet.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Camille, you cupcake center looks quite tasty.Thank you for the fondant recipe.

VIP, your cake looks great.You really did some great detail work on it.

Shimmer, good luck with your cupcake business.You cupcakes look great but the PB cake sure got my attention.Mmm.

On the Cake Boss last week they did a jewelry cake.COOL!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
My pleasure Marcy & Vip
2.gif
Now.......can''t wait for Dandi''s cupcake Pics
12.gif
Lucky Bride
30.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for your comments! I feel like a bit of a poser, I just find pictures of nicely decorated cakes and copy them! I figure once I get better I''ll have some creativity to come up with my own ideas
2.gif
Skippy, I have checked out a few blogs, but not tried the recipes so I''ll look into that, thanks for the tip!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
shimmer i had a big long post and then my computer crashed but the jist was for recipes, experimentation is your best friend. i did maybe 10-20 batches of things before i figured out what i wanted to change and how it would work better in the recipe. the more you bake and practice baking, the more the intuition starts to come to you about small nuances that can make a difference and make a recipe you love.

for MSC...i am joining a monthly cupcake blog that will bake from the book, but having watched MSC''s recipes on her show a few times from the book, they are all multi-step and more complicated than would need to be given TASTE which to me is the most important thing.
on the marble, yes you should be able to do vanilla and chocolate marbled together. perfect your recipes are my biggest tip for feeling comfortable to sell your stuff. it already looks great! good luck!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 2:32:43 PM
Author: shimmer
Thank you all for your comments! I feel like a bit of a poser, I just find pictures of nicely decorated cakes and copy them! I figure once I get better I'll have some creativity to come up with my own ideas
2.gif
Skippy, I have checked out a few blogs, but not tried the recipes so I'll look into that, thanks for the tip!
Oh, wow shimmer, please don't feel like a poser, it's a public forum
36.gif
....we all look at things and play, selling or not it should be fun! About blogs, talk about creative people
1.gif
they are all different, some might charge you a small fee [ie Sarah Phillips] as premium member.... I'd say half of of the 'secret' recipes are true secrets LOL but still a good option......I'm def not on $ales but as a non profit baker have restraint$.
MS is great for inspiration/great staff creativity [love easter ideas] but product push can be too much, she's taking over scrapbooking too! Good for her.
I'll check 'old' stock and see what I can post for you....faves come and go, the good thing about inactive recipes: someone already tested them for us
31.gif
those can be shared
35.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 2:32:43 PM
Author: shimmer
Thank you all for your comments! I feel like a bit of a poser, I just find pictures of nicely decorated cakes and copy them! I figure once I get better I''ll have some creativity to come up with my own ideas
2.gif
Skippy, I have checked out a few blogs, but not tried the recipes so I''ll look into that, thanks for the tip!

don''t feel like a poser! i find pictures to help with my creativity too. i never took any kind of decorating or baking class, so i learned by looking at other people''s photos as well. all of my recipes came from basic recipes from searching around on the internet. after a while, i would add or change ingredients here and there to make it mine.
9.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the party was last night, what a hoot! Here are some pics of the gazillion or so cuppies! The frangipanis were so much fun to make!

Red Velvet:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hrmm, might help if I post the pic.

RachnDamsParty 001.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vanilla Strawberry:

RachnDamsParty 002.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chocolate Mud. These were a serious hit!! DH's mates are coming over today for a second helping
9.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I mustn''t be fully recovered yet
27.gif

RachnDamsParty 004.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The whole crew on the tree.

RachnDamsParty 010.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit further away.

Whew, I'm all cupcaked out for a while. For at LEAST... one week!
41.gif

RachnDamsParty 011.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 11:35:37 PM
Author: DandiAndi
A bit further away.

Whew, I''m all cupcaked out for a while. For at LEAST... one week!
41.gif
DandiAndi.... WOW!!! You did an amazing job!!! They look terrific and yummy, almost too pretty to eat!!
18.gif

They will love them at the party... you are the WOMAN!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thanks sweetheart! They did go down a treat, even those who were more inebriated than others tucked in!! There were lots left over, so my workplace will score big time on Monday!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Just as well they freeze beautifully!

lili

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi--
The cupcakes are amazing.
Love the flowers!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandiAndi, your cupcakes look wonderful. Great job on the flowers and I am sure everyone loved them.
18.gif

Here is my final project for course 3. I did not do the fondant on it; I just used assorted royal icing flowers. The other lady in my class did the fondant tiered cake with fondant roses and it looked amazing.

finalck3.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi!!! they look GORGEOUS and incredibly yummy!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
i adore you piping skills.

i''m loving those frangipanis too!
30.gif
did you use a mold for that?

marcyc - you''re are so talented! that cake is absolutely beautiful...i love those colors! wow, i''ve never worked with royal icing before...well, except to stick fondant flowers and add little details. amazing!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Vip. The royal icing dries really hard but i left these on the foil and they were pretty brittle. I broke quite a few of them that night in class. Rats. I need to practice more with fondant flowers.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh Dandi, the Pink ones are drooooooooly, all flowers are perfect!
36.gif

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on finishing your course Marcy, the cake looks gorgeous! What's next????
36.gif

Dug up something for Shimmer the other day, ate two minis, not bad......I didn't know I liked marble
emotion-40.gif

DSCF5025.jpg

Camille

Shiny_Rock
If there''s any interest I''ll post the recipe later, got some workout to do w/DD
emcry.gif

DSCF021.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies!! The best part is I got to take a dozen leftovers home
18.gif

marcy, WOW!!! Seriously girl, you are amazingly talented! The colours in those flowers are amazing, and check out the detail!!
30.gif
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Camille, the marble cupcakes look wonderful.

Thanks Camille and DandiAndi. I might take the gumpaste flowers class in September but for now my tips and cake pans are retired to the garage. I will just admire everyone''s posts online.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dandi, those frangipangis are amazing! how did you do them? i think i missed that post. i have a bunch of cutters but i have not quite figured out how do to like the 3d stuff for the flowers yet.

marcy, beautiful cake...!! i am still working on my cake skills, building and frosting etc. i made a monstrous 4 tier red velvet cake yesterday for a ''white'' party. it came out yummy but needed a bit more moisture IMO. the building and frosting went great though... i don''t always end up with a straight cake but this one was lol!

here''s a pic my friend took.

red velvet layer.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mara. Your cake looks great. My favorite chocolate cake is the pound cake recipe on the Duncan Hines Devil Food Cake mix. It is very moist and always a hit.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, YUM! That looks divine, and is the perfect shade of red!!!

For the frangis I used this cutter and mould, it was super duper easy, and after leaving them to dry overnight I painted them with petal dust.

http://www.earlcraftncake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=660

And your thoughts, ladies...
A collegue has asked for 2 dozen chocolate cupcakes for a 21st birthday party in honour of a girl who loves music and funky colours. I have hot pink foil cupcake tins I could put them in, and I was thinking hot pink or maybe bright blue cream cheese icing with maybe a fondant treble clef or musical note standing up on top? Thoughts/ideas??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results