shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Same bday party, one boy and one girl so blue for the boy. Later thinking the topper was still a little girly for a boy but stuck with it.

bluefondantsml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Did these for a baby shower: Chocolate Brownie with Chocolate frosting and White Chocolate Raspberry.

showersml.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie I love the tie-dye swirled fondant flowers stuck in the cupcakes. Super fun.

I might have a last minute order for this wkd I really don''t want to do... we''ll see. She wanted 8 dozen minis, but I can BARELY make 6 given the time constraints I have this wkd and I really wanted to relax. I hate turning people down though. Oh well, we shall see.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie those flowers are gorgeous!!
30.gif
30.gif
Oooh I want to learn to make my own decorations!!

Mara, sorry to hear that's the case
14.gif
It does feel a bit rotten turning people down, but you need time to yourself as well!! I had to turn down a lady from work who asked me for cuppies a few weeks ago, I was brutally honest with her and said I just couldn't fit it in timewise, which I really couldn't. Turns out I got called to work in the evening for a delivery, which is when I would have been mid-cupcake making anyway! Just as well
9.gif
Bless that baby!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies! I usually lurk here to check out all of these scrumptious cuppies! They are all gorgeous, BTW. But I need a little help...

I am throwing a bridal shower for my sister with a mad hatter tea party theme. I ordered an awesome cake, but I need to have cupcakes that say "eat me." I would like to make them myself but, I am less than skilled in the cake decorating department. Piping the letters on the cupcakes isn''t an option because I have really shakey hands. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

I was initially thinking of printing out little mini signs on paper and then glueing them to those sandwich toothpicks and sticking them into the cupcakes.

But what do you think about buying premade fondant, cutting it into circles, and using those cake markers to write on them. Would that work? I could practice of course.

Does anyone have any ideas I haven''t thought of?

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
dixie your cupcakes look super yummy!!! very cute fondant toppers too.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, your cupcakes and flowers look great!

My DH and I finished our final project for course 2 tonight. He was MUCH better at basket weave than I was. My cake is the one with the stars and moon; his cake has the flames.

cakesbasketweave.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a close up of my flowers. I was finally getting the hang of making them.

cakeflowers.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
Marcyc--
Wow, great job on the decorations.
Your flowers are so pretty...but I love how you did your leaves
5.gif

Your hubby''s cake it so well-done too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 2:22:42 PM
Author: mia1181
Hey ladies! I usually lurk here to check out all of these scrumptious cuppies! They are all gorgeous, BTW. But I need a little help...

I am throwing a bridal shower for my sister with a mad hatter tea party theme. I ordered an awesome cake, but I need to have cupcakes that say ''eat me.'' I would like to make them myself but, I am less than skilled in the cake decorating department. Piping the letters on the cupcakes isn''t an option because I have really shakey hands. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

I was initially thinking of printing out little mini signs on paper and then glueing them to those sandwich toothpicks and sticking them into the cupcakes.

But what do you think about buying premade fondant, cutting it into circles, and using those cake markers to write on them. Would that work? I could practice of course.

Does anyone have any ideas I haven''t thought of?
I think that could work. I''d try it out first though, so you can have a backup plan. There may also be some kind of company that sells premade letters (gumpaste? chocolate? something else?) that you could just stick on...I''ll look tomorrow for you, if that''s ok?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Everyone''s cupcakes are so pretty and very creative!

I have a question. When you make the mini cuppies do you just put the batter in the little paper cups and bake them on a baking sheet without a cupcake pan? Or do they make special mini shaped cupcake pans?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
That pansy is awesome looking, Marcy!

Your husband did well, too!

I bet that was fun, taking a class with your husband!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
swinggirl--you can buy a mini cupcake pan at most dept. stores (our walmart carries the wilton brand of pans)

Dixie--your cuppies are beautiful--yum, i want one of those chocolate ones right now! Your toppers are adorable too!
I used a leaf tip for the flower cuppies--not a good use of the leaf tip--but the frosting was ick. and yep, just layered the icing.

Marcy--well done! Your flowers are terrific. So cute that your DH put flames on his cake hehe

Mia--i think that would work for sure (the fondant/pen idea) and i think overall it would be the easiest. It would only take a few minutes to cut out the toppers and you could always get a friend with a steady hand to write ''eat me'' on them.

I have projects to work on this month too. My son''s b-day is coming up so i am doing vanilla cuppies in the party colors (sky blue and grass green), mini chocolate brownie cuppies, ice cream lollies (i did these last night: peanut butter & chocolate ice cream balls on a stick--dipped in melted chocolate and dipped again in a mix i made of toasted and crushed butter cookies, walnuts, coconut.)
& some homemade easter eggs in different flavors. I will post pics of all after the party.

Also have to do cuppies in the shape of a bunch of grapes for a wine-themed shower. I was thinking of doing minis since it would be easier to display them in the shape of a bunch of grapes. Still need to figure out how to make some grape leaves out of fondant.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 3:44:40 AM
Author: swingirl
Everyone''s cupcakes are so pretty and very creative!

I have a question. When you make the mini cuppies do you just put the batter in the little paper cups and bake them on a baking sheet without a cupcake pan? Or do they make special mini shaped cupcake pans?

They have mini pans.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hey ladies! well for those on/visit the mommy forum will know that im planning to bake cupcakes for my sons birthday next month. He is allergic to eggs so I have had to use alternative ingredients and thanks to neatfreak have bought "Vegan cupcakes takeover the world" which i love love love..

ive tried a few things, but this is my first attempt at chocolate cupcakes ever (egg and egg-free) and my 2nd run at frosting..im just so proud of myself (and though ive still got a long way to go, im very happy with my progress) the cake was so moist, the frosting so light and fluffy and the frosting not too bad if i do say so myself!

so ive decided to take over this thread a bit and post a few pics :) let me know ur opinion ladies :)

1st-nekkid cuppies straight out of the oven

nekkid cuppies.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
waiting to be decorated

waiting.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
waiting to be decorated #2

waiting2.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
all dressed up

all dressed up.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
all dressed up #2

thanks for letting me share :)

all dressed up2.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
msb They look great! And so glad you love the book!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Freke if you could help me find something premade that would be great! I found some tiny alphabet cutters for fondant, so if all else fails I can cut out my own letters. The only problem is that fondant letters will have to be white because thats how it comese premade. Or maybe I might have to make my own and color it...

Jas- Well I did a practice run this weekend and I hated how they looked with even my best handwriting. I''m not sure if it was because the markers are a bit thick, or if it was just because it was my handwriting. Luckily I have a friend with awesome handwriting so I could definitely have her write them.

By the way..... How do you guys say "fondant?" Is it "fond-INt" or "fond-AHnt?" This is driving me crazy because I''ve really only read it but I say it the first way, and my boss says it the second way.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I usually say fon dent. Not with the "ant" sound. And not with that highfalutin accent.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 7:24:16 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I usually say fon dent. Not with the ''ant'' sound. And not with that highfalutin accent.

That''s, funny, Pennquaker. I say it either way, so long as I get to use a highfalutin'' accent.
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 10:41:32 PM
Author: marcyc
Dixie, your cupcakes and flowers look great!

My DH and I finished our final project for course 2 tonight. He was MUCH better at basket weave than I was. My cake is the one with the stars and moon; his cake has the flames.

I love those, they are so cute.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 7:40:53 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Date: 3/23/2009 7:24:16 PM

Author: pennquaker09

I usually say fon dent. Not with the ''ant'' sound. And not with that highfalutin accent.

That''s, funny, Pennquaker. I say it either way, so long as I get to use a highfalutin'' accent.
2.gif

LOL, I didn''t offend you, did I? That was not my intention.

lili

Ideal_Rock
msb
those cuppies look yummy.
and you did a great job on the frosting!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have to make some cuppies for a shower next week and I'm trying to get myself prepared. I just hope I get over my bout with bronchitis first.

I'm worried about my piping because I haven't done it in so long. My hand was pretty steady, so I was thinking about doing a practice round just to get myself familiar with the techniques again.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Lili, San Diego Lady, Fisherofmengirly, Jas and Pennquaker.We did have a blast making flowers and decorating the cakes.I thought the pansies and the daises were pretty easy.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I love seeing what you guys come up with! You''re all so talented.

macy- I think it''s so sweet that your husband did the class with you. It looks like he is actually quite good, too. I can''t imagine my husband allowing himself to be subjected to cake decorating :) So pretty though!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 11:03:54 PM
Author: icekid

macy- I think it''s so sweet that your husband did the class with you. It looks like he is actually quite good, too. I can''t imagine my husband allowing himself to be subjected to cake decorating :) So pretty though!
Icekid, my husband was teasing me I was just using him as my pack mule to haul all of our stuff in to the store. He really had a knack for it; he wasn''t able to take course 1 and yet by the second week of course 2 he was already better at it than me. My husband likes to watch the food network so I think he just interested in cooking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results