shape
carat
color
clarity

Stucco experts??? Question for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey all! Looks like we are likely moving to NorCal where there are a ton of stucco houses. I am from New England and thus know NOTHING about stucco. We are looking to buy but I was wondering if anyone has tips or warnings about stucco? I know to stay away from synthetic stucco-but that''s all I know.

For example...do people paint stucco?

And is it impossible to add windows or add on to a stucco house without major reconstruction?

This will be our first home and thus we are looking on the lower end of the price spectrum with the idea to upgrade the house over the next few years. MANY of the houses our realtor has selected for us are stucco. I have noticed many of these houses have hardly any windows...and no light is a dealbreaker for me. But I was wondering if it was possible and economical to add windows to a stucco house or not...

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you can paint stucco.

I am not sure about the window thing. But I would strongly recommend hiring a good contractor or even an architect. Someone that should be creative and techincal so they can allow you a lot of flexibility in good design, because they will know what you could potentially be getting yourself into and let you decide from that.

Festy

Shiny_Rock
You can definitely paint stucco. I'm from New England too and have a background in historic preservation, although no first-hand experience with stucco myself. Masonry exteriors in general tend to need less maintenance than wood and stucco can be very durable, if done correctly. I'm sure there will be plenty of contractors out there who specialize in stucco.

FWIW, fake stucco is definitely to be avoided in climates like New England's where we have a freeze-thaw cycle. It can be ok in the south where that's not an issue, but it's not as durable as the real thing. Good luck with the move! I lurve N. California!

ETA, I don't really know if it's more expensive to add a window to a stucco facade vs. a wood one. It might depend on the what the structure behind it is. If it's a newer house, the structure is probably concrete block. If older, it may be wood. This is a semi-educated guess, however.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have liived in the southwest all of my life (54 years) and have always lived in stucco homes. Don't be too quick to shy away from synthetic stucco. We recently had our house re-stuccoed after 15 years and we went synthetic this time. They have really improved the quality and durability of the new synthetic stucco material. While you CAN paint stucco, trust me you don't want to do that. It will be a nightmare. Stucco lasts for many years and you can have a new color coat of stucco put on when it begins to look shabby. As far as intalling new windows, we replaced some glass blocks in a bathroom wall with a window. They just put new stucco around the section of the wall where the window was installed.

Festy

Shiny_Rock
Sundial makes a good point - the color in a stucco facade ideally comes from a color mixed in with the final coat of stucco, not paint applied over it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:06:43 PM
Author: Festy
Sundial makes a good point - the color in a stucco facade ideally comes from a color mixed in with the final coat of stucco, not paint applied over it.

Thanks Festy and Sundial! This is exactly what I wanted to know. So in other words if the former owners were stupid enough to PAINT stucco then we eventually will want to spend the $ to have it redone with colored stucco rather than repainted.

Sundial: When you say you had glass blocks removed-I assume these already let light in? So you didn''t have to break through the stucco? I guess I am just wondering what kind of project it would be to add a few windows where there is just wall. If no one knows I can call a contractor but just thought I''d check with the PS experts first.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 3:06:01 PM
Author:neatfreak
Hey all! Looks like we are likely moving to NorCal where there are a ton of stucco houses. I am from New England and thus know NOTHING about stucco. We are looking to buy but I was wondering if anyone has tips or warnings about stucco? I know to stay away from synthetic stucco-but that''s all I know.

For example...do people paint stucco?

And is it impossible to add windows or add on to a stucco house without major reconstruction?

This will be our first home and thus we are looking on the lower end of the price spectrum with the idea to upgrade the house over the next few years. MANY of the houses our realtor has selected for us are stucco. I have noticed many of these houses have hardly any windows...and no light is a dealbreaker for me. But I was wondering if it was possible and economical to add windows to a stucco house or not...

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
I have neighbors that have synthetic stucco and it is fine. I would not want my the stucco painted then you have to sandblast the stuff off which can be a nightmare and expensive.

You can add windows to a stucco house. Stucco is so easy. hehe How exciting to be moving to sunny CA!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:01:12 PM
Author: Sundial
I have liived in the southwest all of my life (54 years) and have always lived in stucco homes. Don''t be too quick to shy away from synthetic stucco. We recently had our house re-stuccoed after 15 years and we went synthetic this time. They have really improved the quality and durability of the new synthetic stucco material. While you CAN paint stucco, trust me you don''t want to do that. It will be a nightmare. Stucco lasts for many years and you can have a new color coat of stucco put on when it begins to look shabby. As far as intalling new windows, we replaced some glass blocks in a bathroom wall with a window. They just put new stucco around the section of the wall where the window was installed.
Sundial, I should have dittoed yours; I just now am reading your post. Also, to add to Sundial''s post; we put in new windows and it wasn''t too hard to match the stucco.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak, I also wanted to bring up a point that hasn''t been made when regarding the process of adding windows to an exsisting structure.

A lot of people don''t know--esspecially renters-- but there is actually law through the DOE about window/wall ratio. Every home needs to be at code with this regulation...so before you think about buying a home and plan to bust some windows in, be sure you check into what you''re actually able to do.

Now, you can sometimes move windows around, from one location to another and get around the law so to speak...but that''s why I''d recommend doing a lot of research and meeting with contractors, before you settle into a place planning to make changes you might be unable to make.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:13:15 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 5/1/2009 4:06:43 PM
Author: Festy

Thanks Festy and Sundial! This is exactly what I wanted to know. So in other words if the former owners were stupid enough to PAINT stucco then we eventually will want to spend the $ to have it redone with colored stucco rather than repainted.

Sundial: When you say you had glass blocks removed-I assume these already let light in? So you didn''t have to break through the stucco? I guess I am just wondering what kind of project it would be to add a few windows where there is just wall. If no one knows I can call a contractor but just thought I''d check with the PS experts first.
1.gif
Yes they did have to break through the stucco. They removed a small section of the wall where the glass blocks were located, framed in the window, and then stuccoed the new section. Of course you would have to get a bid from a contractor in your area to find out what the cost would be for your particular project.

By the way Skippy and I live the same state so she is very familiar with stucco too!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
How exciting, Neat!!

Random question: Are you two in CA right now looking at houses in person, or are you doing it long distance? The time will come one day when we have to buy a house in another state and I have no idea how on earth that is going to work. I guess one of us will just have to go. hmmm

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:28:54 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Neatfreak, I also wanted to bring up a point that hasn''t been made when regarding the process of adding windows to an exsisting structure.

A lot of people don''t know--esspecially renters-- but there is actually law through the DOE about window/wall ratio. Every home needs to be at code with this regulation...so before you think about buying a home and plan to bust some windows in, be sure you check into what you''re actually able to do.

Now, you can sometimes move windows around, from one location to another and get around the law so to speak...but that''s why I''d recommend doing a lot of research and meeting with contractors, before you settle into a place planning to make changes you might be unable to make.

That is so odd Italia! I will make sure to check on this-thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 8:06:00 PM
Author: luckystar112
How exciting, Neat!!

Random question: Are you two in CA right now looking at houses in person, or are you doing it long distance? The time will come one day when we have to buy a house in another state and I have no idea how on earth that is going to work. I guess one of us will just have to go. hmmm

Long distance. It isn''t easy let me tell you. My DH was out there last week and met our realtor in person and saw a few places but nothing that spoke to him. Basically our realtor has a list of what we want and she is doing the legwork for us. We do have a family friend in the area (and Gypsy who so kindly volunteered herself and her DH
9.gif
-SOOO nice!) who can go look at a place for us if we really think we want to make an offer. But we might have to do it blind (for us) because of timing-ugh. If we do bid blind our family friend can at least take video of it for us-so that''s better than nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results