shape
carat
color
clarity

Push presents?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Interesting article: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=7363922&page=1

I''m not a mother, but when the time comes, I think a little bling is in order.
17.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Kiett
35.gif

When I gave birth to my son last July, DH and I agreed that I would get a push present. I really wanted a ruby and diamond ring and had one made by a local jeweler. It''s beautiful and I wear it almost every day.

Is a that a pug in your avatar? Add me as a pug lover too
3.gif

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 10:14:59 AM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Welcome Kiett
35.gif

When I gave birth to my son last July, DH and I agreed that I would get a push present. I really wanted a ruby and diamond ring and had one made by a local jeweler. It''s beautiful and I wear it almost every day.

Is a that a pug in your avatar? Add me as a pug lover too
3.gif
Thanks! I have been lurking for a long time, and finally decided to jump right in! Yes, that is my 4 year-old pug, Braxton. Can you say SPOILED!!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I got a push present when I had my son. My husband got me a set of beautiful 2 cttw princess-shaped citrine studs set in 18K WG (citrine is the baby''s birthstone). He was planning on getting me something, and really wanted to get something with the baby''s birthstone, but since the due date was 11/29, we didn''t know in advance if he would be born in Nov. or Dec. So, right after the baby was born, he ordered the gift.

It was funny, because the day after we had the baby, my OB came to our hospital room to visit us, and he asked me where my push present was. When I said, "I don''t know - I didn''t get one yet" he turned to DH and told him "you better get on it - there''s a Tiffany''s down the block" ;-) I love my doctor.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My FSIL owes me big time...

When I took my brother to look at e-rings, I very carefully explained the huge importance of push presents (to the amusement of the SA in Cartier) and he seems to have taken it on board in a big way. I''m helping him with a pair of studs for his wedding gift to his FI and he was talking about the eternity ring he will have to save up for once they have a kid.
9.gif

DH doesn''t buy me jewellery - he''s too scared - but has agreed that we will buy me something after the birth (and depending on how my legal battle with my employer goes and the size of the attorney''s bill
14.gif
versus what settlement I end up with).

Vespergirl - does your OB get discounts there in return for free advertising???
27.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my Tessa ring!
16.gif
30.gif
9.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 10:32:45 AM
Author: vespergirl
It was funny, because the day after we had the baby, my OB came to our hospital room to visit us, and he asked me where my push present was. When I said, 'I don't know - I didn't get one yet' he turned to DH and told him 'you better get on it - there's a Tiffany's down the block' ;-) I love my doctor.

Geez, can I have your doctor??

My man is the 'the baby is your gift' kinda guy.
Typical Aussie!
20.gif

I think women really do deserve push presents.
It's an incredible amount of work, both before and after delivery, you risk your life and health and the labour really is an 'experience'.

ETA cwap, I tried a comment to post on the abc site, but I had to sign up... what's with all the parsimonious 'money can't buy love' comments on that site anyway? As if a woman would give birth to a baby for a push present! snort.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I got one. I love it and wear it pretty much every day.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had DH convincened to get me a push present, but a few weeks before the due date when I saw what I wanted and asked if I could just go ahead and get it, he gave be a blank look. So I guess he wasn''t planing on getting anything afterall...

So now I have a pretty antique platinum ring that I had a Four Peaks amethyst set in. Amethyst is the baby''s birthstone, and the Four Peaks mine is here in Arizona, the state the baby was born in
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 12:11:28 PM
Author: Courtneylub
My push present is going to be a personal trainer.
9.gif

Mine will be a boob job.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
I have NEVER heard of a push present.

I had my son 18 years ago and there was never such a thing!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:59:32 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Author: vespergirl
It was funny, because the day after we had the baby, my OB came to our hospital room to visit us, and he asked me where my push present was. When I said, ''I don''t know - I didn''t get one yet'' he turned to DH and told him ''you better get on it - there''s a Tiffany''s down the block'' ;-) I love my doctor.

Geez, can I have your doctor??

My man is the ''the baby is your gift'' kinda guy.
Typical Aussie!
20.gif

It''s an incredible amount of work, both before and after delivery, you risk your life and health and the labour really is an ''experience''.

ETA cwap, I tried a comment to post on the abc site, but I had to sign up... what''s with all the parsimonious ''money can''t buy love'' comments on that site anyway? As if a woman would give birth to a baby for a push present! snort.
Indeed! Mine too!
3.gif

I''m buying my own...doing a nice ring in honor of my daughter. I didn''t ask for a push present though...while I love bling and DO think women deserve something for all the work, the concept of "push present" and marketing behind it kind of annoys me.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:59:32 AM
Author: LaraOnline
My man is the ''the baby is your gift'' kinda guy.
Typical Aussie!
20.gif

It''s an incredible amount of work, both before and after delivery, you risk your life and health and the labour really is an ''experience''.
ETA cwap, I tried a comment to post on the abc site, but I had to sign up... what''s with all the parsimonious ''money can''t buy love'' comments on that site anyway? As if a woman would give birth to a baby for a push present! snort.

Hehe. Mine too. He''s not Aussie though.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Haha, I''ve already had my dh agree to a push present of an elliptical machine to replace the one that broke 2 years ago that I SORELY miss. I would kinda like a piece of jewelry to commemorate the birth, but at the same time, I don''t wear much jewelry, and our 1 year anni. is the month before baby is due, and I am pretty sure I''m getting a stacking band for that.

E B

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Nice! If my husband asks, I'm going to tell him I'd like bi-weekly housekeeping.
9.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:44:40 PM
Author: EBree

Nice! If my husband asks, I''m going to tell him I''d like bi-weekly housekeeping.
9.gif
Wel lwe already have the bi-weekly houskeeping, so I can''t get that! Highly recommend it e-bree, worth every penny
2.gif

My present it an upgrade for my diamond -- .80ct to 1.17ct. I thought about getting a separate ring or an eternity band, but I really really wanted an upgrade!
9.gif

I have a freind who thinks the whole idea of push presents is offensive... "As if some little ring can compensate for the amount of work and effort or pregnancy, birth, and post-partum!" She thinks that some men will take it as a get out of helping out card. Like, "I bought you a diamond, so I don''t have to do dishes and change diapers."

I don''t see it that way and can''t imagine my husband lording a present over my head like that. So I''m-a-gettin'' my diamond!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like the term push present. I did get a ring to celebrate the birth of my son though.
1.gif
30.gif
I love it and wear it everyday.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand why people find the idea offensive. Maybe the name (though I find it funny). I look at it as a celebration ring and I am not someone who gets a lot of jewelry as gifts. I RATHER have a nice ring to celebrate my daughter than for my birthday or anni. But that''s just me. Someday I will give her the ring. I would LOVE it if my dad had gotten something for my mom when I was born. It''s very special.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i got a mommy ring....diamond and sapphire eternity band which i love and wear all the time. when i was preggo, DH brought it up to me that he wanted to get me something after our son was born to celebrate he birth. and i was not going to argue with that.
i think it''s a great idea and something very meaningful.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My father - who is seriously unromantic and has only bought my mother flowers once in 38 years, and then only because they were half-price in the supermarket and my brother made him - ALWAYS bought my mother a present for each of us, normally a piece of antique silver.

Maybe it was because he really knew what she went through - he delivered my brother himself...

I think it''s a nice gesture and a lovely way to mark the birth, but I don''t get people who think it''s offensive - and believe me, I haven''t even done the birth thing yet, but I wouldn''t do pregnancy again even for the pick of diamonds in Graff''s windows!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it''s offensive, but the term "push present" makes it seem like a reward, and that just seems kind of weird, though I know that''s not how people really apply it.

I do think it''s a great idea to have a piece of jewelry to celebrate the birth of your child though!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 8:20:38 PM
Author: basil
I don''t think it''s offensive, but the term ''push present'' makes it seem like a reward, and that just seems kind of weird, though I know that''s not how people really apply it.

I do think it''s a great idea to have a piece of jewelry to celebrate the birth of your child though!

Oooh man, it is such a rite of passage though, and such a life changing event. And the actual birth puts you in funny corners of your mind...I mean, women can and still do die or are quite badly injured in birth, even in our advanced countries...

Having a baby really links you to your man in such an intrinsic way as well...
The adjust ment to motherhood can be absolutely huge, it''s such a big responsibility...

I reckon if men did the whole birth thing, (forget about the after-care) they''d be off buying themselves big cars and boats to mark the occasion and physical experience! And don''t worry, there''d be plenty of marketing about it!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lara, I agree (says the woman who had to push for almost THREE hours). My greatest wish is to be a dad. Haha. For *most* families it is a completely different relationship. More fun for sure. Physically and emotionally. I am very jealous.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH surprised me with a gift when our first child was born. I was so impressed with him...he bought me blue topaz earrings and a ring since that was our babies birthstone...I thought it was so sweet!

When our second was born, I had a mothers ring made with both childrens birthstones and names engraved, and baby #3 was added to the ring after she was born.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Long before the marketing, women have been receiving lovely gifts or tokens of apprecation or bribes
2.gif
--whatever you want to call it, for giving birth. I do think the popular vernacular is a little cheesy...tho....

Regardless I received 8 carats in columbian emeralds--and it as a complete surprise and totally unexpected--since to me, the gift was really was the baby.

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s offensive, I think it''s annoying. Kind of along the cheesy lines that canukgal mentioned. No doubt that women deserve something nice for all the work, and jewelry is a lovely keepsake. But it would annoy me if it was sort of a "given", like engagement rings practically are. I think the sentiment is lovely if it stays sincere, not because men think they are "supposed" to give something to their wives and it has to be jewelry.

But then, I''m the girl who thinks valentine''s day is sort of ridiculous.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I forgot to add before that my dad also bought my mom jewelry when she had all three of us, and we were born in 1972, 1976 and 1982. He said that he wanted to give her a gift, after she gave him the wonderful gift of a child. Even though they used to not be called "push presents," I think that it''s always been a tradition in some cultures to thank the mother for endangering her own life and health by delivering a baby.

I don''t know if this is true or not, but I heard that in some parts of India, for a child''s birthday the child gives his mother a gift, to thank her for bringing him into the world. I thought that this was a beautiful tradition when I heard it. Can any of our posters of Indian descent let me know if this is true?

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of a piece of jewelry to celebrate our baby''s birth, but don''t think DH will go for it. He would DEFINITELY go for the gym-membership/personal trainer idea, but I want sparklies
31.gif
11.gif
. Guess I should probably start saving my pennies!

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
How about a Mercedes C Class/ Kompressor in a nice pearly white???
23.gif

That''s what one of my GF is getting this year....

The kicker: Ready for it? Wait.... Drumroll PUHLEASE!!!

It''s her first car EVAH!!!

Let''s just say that we will be taking her whip when we do lunches and pedi''s this summer....
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results