shape
carat
color
clarity

my child was sick...now sick again...:( Similar experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
My almost 6 year old is sick again
7.gif

November 6th she started getting sick with a fever..No cough or sniffles, just fever. Than on the 7th she added throwing up and stomach ache to the list of symptoms. Her fever seemed to break that evening and she started to look and act better. Than Saturday morning she woke up and started vomiting and for the next 4 hours she continued. We took her into the ER because she could not keep anything down. They gave her a med to help her stop throwing up. Than she had to be able to keep down fluids over the next 3 hours and she did. We went home and she continued to be able to keep liquids down and get better. She was so much better on Sunday and was in school Monday.

Now yesterday we noticed her coughing, stuffy nose, congestion. Looked like she was getting a cold. This morning she woke up looking pale and tired coughing more and sounding like her cold is getting worse. Noon started a low grade fever (99) and this evening it is 101.5 and we are starting the Tylenol and I have been putting vicks on her chest to help with the congestion.

So because I worry, I am worried. So soon to get sick again?

Anyone have this happen to their kids and is there anything I should be concerned about?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Lauralu, I don't know if it's any help, but I was always sick all winter long when I was a small child. I'd catch a cold in October, it would turn into bronchitis, then a sinus infection, then I'd finally get better for a week and catch another cold...rinse, repeat. This happened from when I was 4 or 5 until I was about 12, then I started to grow out of it. By the time I was in high school, I'd get one or two colds per winter and that was usually it. I'm generally very healthy now, but I think it just took my immune system some time to get settled down or something. Talk to your daughter's doctor, especially since these seem to be more serious than just common colds, but don't be surprised if they say that it is what it is...and she will probably grow out of it at some point.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Octavia, I just hate it when my kids are sick. She has been very healthy for the most part all of her 5 and 3/4''s years. She had strep once and two ear infections. However from age 3 until now she has been very healthy. She started kindergarten this fall and maybe she will be the kid that picks up everything her first year of school.

Just seems so soon to be sick again. She has been so healthy up until now.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take her to the Doc on Monday. My kids used to get these rebound illnesses. Lots of viruses are going around right now, she may not hae fully recovered from the first one?? I know how it is, my kids used to be sick a lot. Hang in there, let us know what her perdiatrician says. Lots of fluids. HUGS to you.
1.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Even though the ER gave her meds to stop throwing up, it doesn''t do anything to cure her virus. And viruses, unfortunately, just have to run their course, as they don''t respond to antibiotics. It certainly doesn''t hurt to take her in if she''s feeling worse or gets a higher fever in the next few days.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 12:59:30 AM
Author: joflier
Even though the ER gave her meds to stop throwing up, it doesn''t do anything to cure her virus. And viruses, unfortunately, just have to run their course, as they don''t respond to antibiotics. It certainly doesn''t hurt to take her in if she''s feeling worse or gets a higher fever in the next few days.

ditto. A lot of times they can catch viruses too when their immune system is suppressed like it would have been when she was sick the week before.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
well right on Que. Her fever was up all last night and down this morning. She definitely has something different from a week and a half ago. Coughing, sneezing, congestion, headache.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel better. I was just so shocked when she came down with a fever again so soon. After just being sick less than two weeks ago. Makes me think of things like meningitis.

I think if she is still running this fever tomorrow I am calling her Dr. just to see what they think.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Is this her first year in school? There''s a chance she''s just catching what''s going around, and in schools, these things tend to go around and around and around again all winter. Good luck!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sabine, yes this is her first year in school. She was only in one year of pre-school. when she was 3. Other than that, no daycare at all really. My best friend and I were in business together for a long time and we traded off taking each others kids for many years when they were really little.

Maybe she is going to get hit hard with illness this first year of school? I hope not...maybe nothing I can do though.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
And some kids just tend to get sick more often than others. I got sick at least 3 or 4 times a year, probably up until the 4th grade.
20.gif
It took a long time for immune system to really build up. Now I work in a clinic where I''m exposed to a lot of sick people every day, and I almost never catch anything.
Is your daughter any better today lauralu?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son missed 17 days of school when he was in kindegarten, he only went on Mon, Wed and every other Friday, some kids just get sick easier then others, but as they age it will get better, last year he only missed 4 days, he is now in 5th grade.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thank you everyone. She is better today. No fever and getting her strength back. Thank goodness. I hope she is not one of those kids that catches everything. if so I better toughen up!

Thanks again everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results