shape
carat
color
clarity

MIGRAINE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:51:13 AM
Author: Gypsy
I''m fighting one right now. LOL. didn''t read whole thread. Should prob. get off the puter, frankly.

Water is the #1 most important thing with me... I get like this and I forget... or get too naseous (not this time thankfully) to drink water and the dehydration makes it much worse.

I have Imitrex inhaler... works well, but you said you had a reaction to it. They are REALLY expensive though, so I don''t use them unless it''s unbearable.

Vicodin does nothing for me. Percocet does lovely things... but I don''t like to take it... like it too much...lol.

Hmm... other than that... I use cool compresses a cuddling cat, and a fetch and carry fiance in a dark qiuet room.. take something over the counter and wait for it to go away. If I get naseous I burn room fragrance with a citrus smell DOWN STAIRS while I''m upstairs (otherwise it''s too strong) and that seems to help... or if I don''t have any I sniff at a lemon/ lime peel. It helps.

ETA: Just skimmed thread. Mine started when I started taking a particular brand of BC (can''t recall it right now)... stopped when I switched to this (Yasmin) ... but now I''ve started Yasmin again (was off it for about two years) and the migrains are back. Mine are icepick... but if I take OTC at onset sometimes I can stop the worst. My OBGYN BTW thinks I''m nuts when I tell him it''s BC related.
29.gif

He is a GUY that is why!!! Let him take the pill and see what happens!

I love the citrus smell, one of my faves...I get so nauseous and every since kids I swear I have hyper smell issues...cannot STAND so many smells and no one else seems to notice them...but my headaches aggravate it for sure!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 1:06:53 AM
Author: diamondfan

I love the citrus smell, one of my faves...I get so nauseous and every since kids I swear I have hyper smell issues...cannot STAND so many smells and no one else seems to notice them...but my headaches aggravate it for sure!

I''m a hyper-smeller too. I have citrus fragrances all over the house... it''s the only smell I can handle when I''m not feeling well. Body Shops Samsuta Mandarin Oil is my current fav (it''s not called Samsuta Mandarin... I NEVER remember what it''s called) for tackling stron odors... I have to light it when I clean litterboxes. But generally any citrus scent (except grapefruit... that one I can''t handle) is a winner with me as long as it smells ''real'' not chemically.

As for my OBGYN... yes, he''s a man. An old man. It''s time to switch... and has been for a while and I know it... but well. I haven''t done it. to make matters worse he''s in CA and I''m in NJ! Go back to CA couple of times a year... I go in and get a check up.

I think I''m in serious denial that I live here.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 1:18:07 AM

Date: 6/15/2006 1:06:53 AM

I''m a hyper-smeller too. I have citrus fragrances all over the house... it''s the only smell I can handle when I''m not feeling well. Body Shops Samsuta Mandarin Oil is my current fav (it''s not called Samsuta Mandarin... I NEVER remember what it''s called) for tackling stron odors... I have to light it when I clean litterboxes. But generally any citrus scent (except grapefruit... that one I can''t handle) is a winner with me as long as it smells ''real'' not chemically.

As for my OBGYN... yes, he''s a man. An old man. It''s time to switch... and has been for a while and I know it... but well. I haven''t done it. to make matters worse he''s in CA and I''m in NJ! Go back to CA couple of times a year... I go in and get a check up.

I think I''m in serious denial that I live here.

If you were wearing hair spray or had a top on that was dry cleaned I would smell it a mile away and gag...I do not mind grapefruit if it is red or pink grapefruit...citrus is so great, I love it...satsuma''s are those little clemetines...they have a shower gel in the scent that I love...I do love some floral and clean smells, do not like too many really heavy scents...

I know you have no love for NJ but might not there be a good gyno or at least on in NYC? Closer than LA but I would always be up for an LA trip...good shopping and fun scene to be visiting...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:51:13 AM
My OBGYN BTW thinks I''m nuts when I tell him it''s BC related.
29.gif
are you kidding? he should know better!
29.gif
estrogen induced migrains are quite common. fortunately they are fairly easy to diagnose due to the timing.

i hope you find something that works..migrains are the worst.
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Dr. put me on Topamax for migraines. I used to get them all of the time. This wonder pill is a miracle pill for me. It has stopped my migraines all together now.

Please ask your Dr. about it.

Linda

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 1:54:30 AM
If you were wearing hair spray or had a top on that was dry cleaned I would smell it a mile away and gag...I do not mind grapefruit if it is red or pink grapefruit...citrus is so great, I love it...satsuma''s are those little clemetines...they have a shower gel in the scent that I love...I do love some floral and clean smells, do not like too many really heavy scents...

I know you have no love for NJ but might not there be a good gyno or at least on in NYC? Closer than LA but I would always be up for an LA trip...good shopping and fun scene to be visiting...

I can''t wear hairspray... it bothers me too much. When I have to for events and such... well. I deal, but I''m not happy about it and take advil or tylenol before. Actually I don''t use any hair products other than shampoo and conditioner and don''t color my hair (no gray yet though... I''ll change my tune). Drycleaning doesn''t usually bother me though. Some florals and clean smells are fine with me too. I do have perfume I wear... I have two scents that don''t bother me right now... Marc Jacob''s Essence and ... Oh I can''t recall the other. There is no rhyme or reason to it, as far as I can tell... but somethings just make me gag, like you said.

As for gyno... yeah, I know... FMIL and 2 FSIL work at a local hospital... I could ask them for reccomendations... just, well. Haven''t.
20.gif
THANKS DF!

Belle wrote:
are you kidding? he should know better! estrogen induced migrains are quite common. fortunately they are fairly easy to diagnose due to the timing.

Hmm... I didn''t know that about estrogen. But I think Yasmin is just progesterone (will have to check that)... but then it regulates estrogen levels... so maybe. I definitely need to speak with my GP about it at the least. And maybe get a referral from him for a gyno. A female one.
Thanks BELLE!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 2:35:43 PM

Date: 6/15/2006 1:54:30 AM

I can''t wear hairspray... it bothers me too much. When I have to for events and such... well. I deal, but I''m not happy about it and take advil or tylenol before. Actually I don''t use any hair products other than shampoo and conditioner and don''t color my hair (no gray yet though... I''ll change my tune). Drycleaning doesn''t usually bother me though. Some florals and clean smells are fine with me too. I do have perfume I wear... I have two scents that don''t bother me right now... Marc Jacob''s Essence and ... Oh I can''t recall the other. There is no rhyme or reason to it, as far as I can tell... but somethings just make me gag, like you said.

As for gyno... yeah, I know... FMIL and 2 FSIL work at a local hospital... I could ask them for reccomendations... just, well. Haven''t.
20.gif
THANKS DF!

Belle wrote:
are you kidding? he should know better! estrogen induced migrains are quite common. fortunately they are fairly easy to diagnose due to the timing.

Hmm... I didn''t know that about estrogen. But I think Yasmin is just progesterone (will have to check that)... but then it regulates estrogen levels... so maybe. I definitely need to speak with my GP about it at the least. And maybe get a referral from him for a gyno. A female one.
Thanks BELLE!

i use prophylactic medication (usually 600-800mg ibuprofin) before any ''events'' or at the very first sign of something being amiss.
between the strong smells and noise, it is easier just to take medication before then deal with the painful effects afterwards.
preventative medicine works very well for me. unfortunately the migraines still creep up every few months and once they hit, the only thing i can do is find a very dark and quiet room in which i can cover my head until it passes.

estrogen indirectly causes the headaches. with the pill, estrogen levels are increased higher than normal prior to menses. the significant drop in estrogen levels (inactive pills) during menstration can cause migraine headaches. for some women the low dose estrogen pills can help as well as the progestin only (mini pill) ones.

a good gyno can make your life much easier! i hope you find one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Belle! I''ve decided to look for a new gyno... AND to do the research on this myself... since it''s out there... and you''ve already gotten me off to such a good start. THANK YOU!
9.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: Just skimmed thread. Mine started when I started taking a particular brand of BC (can''t recall it right now)... stopped when I switched to this (Yasmin) ... but now I''ve started Yasmin again (was off it for about two years) and the migrains are back. Mine are icepick... but if I take OTC at onset sometimes I can stop the worst. My OBGYN BTW thinks I''m nuts when I tell him it''s BC related.
29.gif
That''s how I got them! I had been trying to get pregnant for a long time, but my cycles were crazy so they put me on the pill to regulate it...and boom MIGRAINES!

Stopped the pill, but unfortunately the migraines have stuck with me!

Most women''s migraines decrease with menopause!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, a nice benefit to counter balance the hot flashes!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Lots to think about. I got an appt. w/ a new neuro for next week, thank goodness. It got worse after I posted and I was useless night before last. Imitrex used to make me so sick, but maybe I''d react differently if it were administered another way than oral? I''ll have to see what he says!! B/C TOTALLY affects migraines! My goodness--what a strange thing for an ob to say. My ob is the one who suggested mircette b/c it was supposed to specifically be better for migraine. We''ll just have to see..... Here''s to some migraine-free time for all of us!!

(And Tawn, fingers crossed for IVF!!!! One thing I have heard is that migraines CAN stop entirely during pregnancy!!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ladies,

If you suffer alot from Migraines, please ask your Dr. about taking the pill Topamax. it is made for Migraine prevention. I used to get them constantly. Since being on this pill, I no longer get them. It is a miracle pill for me. I am on Hormone replacement because I am 56 years old and have suffered from migraines, since I was in my 30''s.

I was taking Imitrex nose spray, but hated the "hang over" feeling it left me with and I still had the migraine headache. It is worth talking to your doctor about. Honestly, it really works.

Linda

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Linda, THANKS! I am going to ask him about a number of meds that weren''t around the last time I saw my neuro (after imitrex, cafergot, methysergide, etc. I gave up and went OTC for YEARS) But I will ask him about topomax, relpax, zomig, acupuncture....others??

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are very welcome. Topamax has a good side effect too. It takes away your appetite. LOL.

Linda

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: So I went to my new neuro yesterday. He started me on topamax, pretty low dose (15mg, working up to 60mg in a few weeks) and also gave me maxalt (a triptan I hadn''t heard of) for as-needed w/ migraine.

I REALLY hope the topamax takes. I''d be so psyched. Anyway, I will keep you posted! Yay!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I am SO glad you are starting on Topamax. I haven''t had a migraine, since starting on this med.
35.gif

Linda

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE:

I have had only one migraine since starting on topomax. That was 3 days in. AND....best of all, I took Maxalt when it hit and that worked for me too and didn''t make me feel so electric and sick the way that imitrex had, so SO FAR so good with BOTH drugs!!!! It has only been a couple of weeks, but I am still very encouraged by the progress.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue, that is awesome. I am thinking of going back on the topamax since with my thyroid stuff I am getting headaches even more often and dread it so much! PS How are you otherwise?
emthup.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blueroses,

I am so happy to hear that. It will get even better. I have had NO migraines now, since starting Topamax in September. That is almost a year now. I am on 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening. Hooooray for Topamax.

Please keep us updated ok?

Linda

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I have suffered from migraines as far back as I can remember (6-7 yrs old) and all of the women on my mom''s side of the family suffer from them. I have taken Fioricet for years because if is safe to take when you are pregnant/nursing (2 times for me). I have to take it AS SOON as I start to feel one coming on otherwise it''s useless and the only relief I can get is to take a nap in a totally dark, quiet room. I am convinced that my twin 6 year old daughter''s suffer from them but their pediatrician says they are too young. I know that my started at a young age, they have a strong family history and they have a lot of the same triggers as I do, especially barometric pressure changes. Here''s a suggestion...the only time in my life I didn''t have migraines was during pregnancy!
2.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 9:14:31 AM
Author: fountainfairfax
My migraines (the ''ice-pick in the eye'' type I get most often) started at age 30 and it turns out that''s the age my Dad started to suffer from them as well (and it had nothing to do with the fact that''s when I was born.)
I do get a slight painful tingling about ten minutes before one starts and I''m so lucky that excedrin works well if I catch them early.

I also have an interesting experience w/Imitrex. When first prescribed it made me go almost comatose, but that was ok compared to the pain (although the missed time at work was not ok.) I continued to take it and found that by maybe the 10th time I took it I was less sleepy. Now I can function like normal and my migraines are gone within 15 minutes of taking the Imitrex. Maybe it''s something you have to grow accustomed to taking?

Does anyone else have triggers like weather changes that bring on their migraines? Mine come on often when there are barometric pressure changes, mainly when it''s going to rain...maybe I''m just a freak!
Fountainfairfax,
You are NOT a freak! I get the "ice-pick in the eye type" of migraine, the optical type of migraine, the "I haven''t had enough sleep" kind of migraine and the barometric pressure kind as well. I have for years. Excedrin doesn''t always work for me.

I awoke today with the beginnings of a migraine. I had an adjustment yesterday at the chiropractor''s office and about 2 hours later, I started not feeling so well.
emsad.gif
I have been pushing the water intake galore cuz I know if I dehydrated, I get more migraines. I am also seeing that my body is trying to start my period so a migraine usually accompanies that as well. I quickly took some meds when I brushed my teeth so I am praying it nips it in the bud.

Too much to do today to be down and out with a stupid migraine!
emembarrassed.gif

Please pray that this one goes away or at least lightens up...I am going away now cuz its getting worse.
emsad.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 1:50:53 PM
Author: Linda W
My Dr. put me on Topamax for migraines. I used to get them all of the time. This wonder pill is a miracle pill for me. It has stopped my migraines all together now.

Please ask your Dr. about it.

Linda
My dr. tried me on this, but even the pediatric dosage was too much for me and gave me a medicinal hangover. I also tried neurontin, but the same thing happened...
emsad.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:54:44 PM
Author: tawn

29.gif
That''s how I got them! I had been trying to get pregnant for a long time, but my cycles were crazy so they put me on the pill to regulate it...and boom MIGRAINES!

Great...because my migraines are still here with a vengance, my general ed dr. as well as my neurosurgeon both commented that I am a long, long way away from menopause and I should enjoy my "youth". For crying out loud, I am 46 and tired of hurting with the migraines...

Sorry...just had to vent that!

My migraines started when I was preggers with my 21 year old daughter and have gotten better with the help of my neurosurgeon but not gone away, even despite taking a beta-blocker daily in the morning and at night.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 1:00:44 PM
Author: DeannaBana

Date: 6/15/2006 10:54:44 PM
Author: tawn

29.gif

Great...because my migraines are still here with a vengance, my general ed dr. as well as my neurosurgeon both commented that I am a long, long way away from menopause and I should enjoy my ''youth''. For crying out loud, I am 46 and tired of hurting with the migraines...

Sorry...just had to vent that!

My migraines started when I was preggers with my 21 year old daughter and have gotten better with the help of my neurosurgeon but not gone away, even despite taking a beta-blocker daily in the morning and at night.
I had deep tissue accupuncture for the first time a month ago, and it seems to be helping a lot! Mine originate from the base of my skull, and I''m impressed so far. I haven''t been headache free, but I haven''t been laid out by one either, so that''s a good sign. I really enjoyed the experience and it wasn''t painful like I though it would be either...

I go again next week, and I can''t wait!

I''ve taken Fironal lately, and it helps keep me standing, but I have to take 2 for it to even help a little bit.

Good luck in finding something...and people are raving about Botox, but unfortunately you can''t get it in your wrinkle spots, but rather in your trigger spots!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results