shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s talk vehicles for the family.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad that we have such a growing community of ''family'' threads here.

With all of this talk of babies and expanding the family, I think we need to talk about some vehicles.

I''ll get the ball rolling:

Maybe we could post what type of vehicle we drive and how many kids/car seats are in them.

I have posted in the past about vehicle options for 3 kids in car seats (if we have a 3rd). does anyone here own a Honda Pilot? Can you fit 3 car seats in the 2nd row?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Our current family vehicle:

a 2000 Honda Cr-V.

fits 2 convertible carseats in the back. (They are both the CostCo Alpha-Omega)
You cannot fit another passenger in it.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if three car seats would fit in a Pilot. Are they 3 big car seats or a booster, convertible seat, and infant seat? I think the configuration and sizes would make a difference.

I have three kids, one in a car seat - the huge Britax Marathon, and two big boys - not in car seats. I drive a Ford Expedition. I dislike it to say the least. Thanks to the movie RV, it has been given the nickname 'Rolling Turd'. It is a pile of crap and breaks several times a year. I cannot wait to replace it, but, I don't want to spend the $$$$$ right now. I keep saying, maybe in a year...maybe in a year...

We went to a local auto show and checked out quite a few SUVs. Of course, my fave was the Mercedes M class. They have very poor reliability, though, so convincing Mr. Miranda that this is the car for us would be fruitless. I'm not sure if we'll go with a third row again or not. Some of the smaller SUVs that have them seem like the last row is right up against the back window...Not a safe thing in an accident.

ETA: Oops...I see you already addressed the question of what kind of car seats...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I drive a 1996 S-10 Blazer. It fits two car seats nicely (all varieties.) One skinny person can sit between them. We''ve forced a booster between them too, but another "carseat" wouldn''t fit.

I love my truck. The only problem I have is the air conditioner went out this last summer and it will cost several hundred to fix it. (DH can''t repair it.) LOVE four-wheel drive in these midwest winters, too.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
i actually just replaced my old car to make it a more 'family' oriented car..had a MINI cooper, and have replaced it with a 2007 Mercedes ML350 (4x4)...i love it...it has AMAZING trunk space that i can fit everything and anything into it...(read stroller, baby bag, shopping bags, bouncy toy..u name it..it all goes in!)...i also fitted a Cicco car seat and it fits quite snuggly in there so im quite happy with it..

ETA: Miranada, just noticed u mentioned the M class. I have just gotten mine 9 months ago and i couldn't have been happier..i had received a lot of objection about my choice and about its reliability and high $$ when it came time for maintainence or spare parts..but to be honest,i couldn't have been happier and am amazed at its power and safety!! just yesterday a car from the far right lane decided to switch lanes and by switching lanes, i mean totally turned into our lane without even paying the least attn that we were there...we had to SLAM the breaks and came to a dead halt in less than 2 seconds..had we been in any other car we would have easily rammed into them...(i was in the car with my hubby and 7 month old and boy oh boy was i happy we were in my car!!)

BZ

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure what cars you have looked at, but did you have a chance to check out the Volvo XC90. It''s their SUV with third row seating. I have owned two volvo''s now (not the XC90, unfortunately) and I love them. They are so safe. I was telling someone today that I never worry about me and my family being safe, because I know they build the Volvo''s to really high safety standards.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have a Honda Pilot that I got in February and I have one booster and one car seat. I put them on each end of the 2nd row.

I have put two boosters and two car seats at one point. I put the two boosters in the 3rd row and the two car seats on each end of the 2nd row and it fit perfectly with room in the middle of each row for a person.

When I just have the two seats but more people, I put the booster in the 3rd row, because it is just much easier to remove and reseat. I always keep the car seat where it is and never remove it because it can be a pain to reseat and tighten.

I have sat in the 2nd row with the car seat and another adult and I have to say the seat is more roomier than our Pathfinder's.

I am happy with my Pilot, but it seems to eat up more gas than the PF.

I originally wanted to get an Acura MDX, but now that I have a Pilot, I don't regret it.
2.gif

ETA: I really wanted the MB ML 350, I even went and got insurance quotes and found that for me to insure it, it would only be $360 more per year. But it didn't have the third row option and my husband insisted that I get the third row. Then I wanted the Acura MDX and my husband didn't like the way it curved in the back(less head room in his opinion) and I didn't like the way they redesigned the front of the 2008 models. I preferred the way the older version looks.

Then I went to the dealership with the intention of just leasing a Pilot and within an hour, we walked out buying one instead...

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
great info here everyone!
Keep it coming!
BUTTERFLY 17:: does the seatbelt in the middle spot of the 2nd row come down from the ceiling? THat is what I have heard.....

Date: 11/14/2007 8:57:11 AM
Author: butterfly 17
I have a Honda Pilot that I got in February and I have one booster and one car seat. I put them on each end of the 2nd row.

I have put two boosters and two car seats at one point. I put the two boosters in the 3rd row and the two car seats on each end of the 2nd row and it fit perfectly with room in the middle of each row for a person.

When I just have the two seats but more people, I put the booster in the 3rd row, because it is just much easier to remove and reseat. I always keep the car seat where it is and never remove it because it can be a pain to reseat and tighten.

I have sat in the 2nd row with the car seat and another adult and I have to say the seat is more roomier than our Pathfinder''s.

I am happy with my Pilot, but it seems to eat up more gas than the PF.

I originally wanted to get an Acura MDX, but now that I have a Pilot, I don''t regret it.
2.gif

ETA: I really wanted the MB ML 350, I even went and got insurance quotes and found that for me to insure it, it would only be $360 more per year. But it didn''t have the third row option and my husband insisted that I get the third row. Then I wanted the Acura MDX and my husband didn''t like the way it curved in the back(less head room in his opinion) and I didn''t like the way they redesigned the front of the 2008 models. I preferred the way the older version looks.

Then I went to the dealership with the intention of just leasing a Pilot and within an hour, we walked out buying one instead...

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Sophie, both the third row and the second row middle seats have the seat belts from the top. I kind of like it that way because there are a lot less straps all over the place and less confusion of what seat belt goes with what. It just looks neater.

When someone first sat in the middle row, we could figure out how to take it out. We kept pulling it and it would not come out and then I was yelling at my husband that he might break the holder, but after you take it out once, it''s a snap.

I also have to say the I like that the area between the drivers and passenger''s seat is nice and big. Our PF has the steering column in the middle, so you can''t put anything there , but the Honda has it on the wheel, so it leaves you a lot more room right in the middle. I usually just put my bag right there and it fits perfectly.

In the beginning I hated it because I kept turning on my windshield wipers instead of putting the car in drive and sometimes now when I am in the Pathfinder, I reach for the windshield wiper to put the car in reverse,drive/park.
32.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My current vehicle is a 2001 Subaru Forester and we have two booster seats in the 2nd row. There's only enough room between the booster seats to squeeze a small to medium person in and have them crunched a bit. . .definetly no room for a third car seat, but I'm for sure done having kids, so no problem there!
2.gif

We live in the Northwest and the weather is either rainy or can get icy in the winter PLUS we go up to the mountains, so the Forester is FABULOUS in the snow & other conditions! I use to be scared to death to drive around in even a few inches of snow, but with my car, it's a breeze. It also gets great gas milage, which is always a plus.

The only downside is that the forester is just a blah, boring looking car! I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in on the lack of style alone, but yeah, that is a bit shallow! lol Most of the cars I do like are impracticle with two kids and a trip we're planning next month to Whistler, so it'd be stupid for me to trade it in and risk a crash over a prettier car.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We have 3 kids, one is in a booster.

I drive a Toyota Sienna, which seats 8 (although the third row is not very spacious). It''s ubiquitous in our area (every other car in our neighborhood/school is a Sienna or a Honda Odyssey) and dull, but it lets us cart around all of the people/stuff in our lives. I love the power sliding doors. "Minivan" is not exactly the right word for it, though - it''s bigger than my 4Runner was.

My husband drives a Lexus ES350. It''s plenty of room for the 5 of us just running around town, but if we''ve got anyone else along with us we take the Sienna.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 2004 Vauxhall Astra (no doubt you either don't have it in the states, or its called something completely different!).

I have one baby seat and two booster seats in the back. There is loads of space in the boot (do you call that part the trunk?) - we can fit a stroller and lots of shopping!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i drive the honda odyssey. it's not the most sexy vehicle to drive, but necessary with two toddlers and another one on the way, and all the stuff we tote around (and pick up, i do a lot of craigslisting!).

the second row is two bucket seats that fit britax carseats no prob, and you get a removable seat in between which could squeeze in a small person. i don't think i could fit an infant carrier seat between the two britax (marathon and boulevard) though. the bucket seats can be set up so they are together with room on the side to get to the back or apart with room to get to the back between them - this is nice while the kids are still in carseats because they can't reach each other and cause trouble.
19.gif

the third row is nice, our oldest will go back there (still in a carseat, may go booster). it fits two adults comfortably and three snugly. my DH picked up friends from the airport = three adults, twin boys and a toddler. the mom sat in the third row with the infant carrier seat (in the middle), the toddler and other twin took the second row carseats, and the dad took the passenger (DH drove of course). apparently it was a comfortable ride for all.

i have folded down the third row and taken out the buckets MANY times and the space is fantastic. it's very easy to convert, and people always doubt me that i'll get my big furniture purchase in there until i swing open the back door and they see just how much space there is. can fit quite a bit with the third row down and two kids in second row as well - we got this car for many reasons, one of them being road trips. it packs up with room to spare.

this is a silly thing to love a car for, but it has built in window curtains that you just pull up from the door. i'm sure many/all family cars have this now, but i was pretty excited when i discovered them. the seats are super comfy with lumbar in the driver's. it's a smooth ride and i found the way it rides and the way it is styled makes me ok with being a minivan mom (for now
2.gif
).

ETA: P.S. we also have the honda CR-V and once my second was born i quickly outgrew it. with two in carseats it was just too tight with the baby bag and a couple of toys for the road. it drove me nuts, so my DH took it over and we got the odyssey. ahhhh, much better!
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We currently have a Ford Freestyle (not to be confused with the Freestar minivan). This is a crossover wagon that seats 7 with the 2nd row bench.

3rd row is comfortable enough for 2 adults. We will have one baby seat in there. Will let you know how it goes, but we love the car so far!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 6:49:48 AM
Author: msb700
i actually just replaced my old car to make it a more ''family'' oriented car..had a MINI cooper, and have replaced it with a 2007 Mercedes ML350 (4x4)...i love it...it has AMAZING trunk space that i can fit everything and anything into it...(read stroller, baby bag, shopping bags, bouncy toy..u name it..it all goes in!)...i also fitted a Cicco car seat and it fits quite snuggly in there so im quite happy with it..

ETA: Miranada, just noticed u mentioned the M class. I have just gotten mine 9 months ago and i couldn''t have been happier..i had received a lot of objection about my choice and about its reliability and high $$ when it came time for maintainence or spare parts..but to be honest,i couldn''t have been happier and am amazed at its power and safety!! just yesterday a car from the far right lane decided to switch lanes and by switching lanes, i mean totally turned into our lane without even paying the least attn that we were there...we had to SLAM the breaks and came to a dead halt in less than 2 seconds..had we been in any other car we would have easily rammed into them...(i was in the car with my hubby and 7 month old and boy oh boy was i happy we were in my car!!)
This is great to hear msb! Quite a few of my neighbors have one and love it as well. Maybe the bad reviews are a conspriacy by Consumer Reports and Edmunds...hmmmmmmmm! I really love this car. You are right about the trunk space! I need room for my 100 lb. dog and the ML seems to be large enough unlike the Lexus RX and BMW X3.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Man! I had written a long post and got an error message. I don''t know how many times it will take me to learn to copy my message before I hit send so I can just paste it again if I lose it...argghhh.

Anyway,
Honda Odyssey is my favorite minivan, if I must go minivan. I am 28 and don''t feel like a minivan mom, but I don''t thing anyone feels like one at the beginning, do they??lol
has anyone seen/or own a GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook? they are my current lust at the moment. Lots of seating, leg room, storage room...three rows....
looks like an SUV from outside, just perfect in my opinion, just out of our pricerange (comfortably) at the time being.

Question. My older son will be 4 next May. If I were to be pregnant and have a 3rd around that time, do you think a 4 yr old could sit back in a 3rd row? see my concern is he always asks me too pick up stuff he drops, pass him drinks, foood, etc. Also I think my 2 1/2 (who would be 3 then) would want to sit back with him, too. Then I have 2 kids so far away. See right now I am thinking a large 2nd row where 3 kids could sit, but maybe would be better off with buckets? that way as the boys grow in the next two years they could go back there and it would be easier to access with some space. We do lots of long car trips so it is a necessity that we be as comfortable as possible.

Thoughts?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a dogde caravan. I LOVE it. it''s got the auto doors, dvd player etc. right now i''ve got a carseat and a booster that ride on the 2 bucket seats, then 2 big kids ride in the 3rd row. i''m expecting and when this baby gets here, booster #1 will go to the 3rd row. she can get in and out so if she had to she can unbuckle to pick up whatever she dropped. carseat #2 will upgrade to the booster next month when she turns 4 and carseat #3 (holy cow 3 carseats....just hit me as I''m typing this
32.gif
)will go on a bucket seat. Even if booster #2 wants to move to the back i won''t let her for a while. they get in enough trouble sitting in the buckets, i can''t imagine if they were closer in the 3rd row...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sophie,

Error messages keep popping up for me too and it drives me nuts. Finally, I''ve been copying all my messages before hitting submit. lol

Regarding the third seat, I would suspect your kids would be too far away from you when seated there. My 7 and 5 YO sons still constantly ask me to hand them stuff, even when I''m in middle of driving down the road (which sometimes I do, which yeah, is very dangerous! lol) They always need napkins and water, etc., and I for sure want them to have the napkins (at least) so they don''t wipe gold fish cracker crumbs on the seat or door! Maybe when they''re a bit older they''d be okay???

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
my volvo wagon has three kiddie seats that are a part of the second seat. you just pull them down.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Right now, I have a Lexus GX470. Essentially, it''s a glorified Toyota 4Runner. It''s a great car, but the 3rd row is not a true third row, and I finally got so fed up that I had Nate take them out. They found a new home on a shelf in the garage covered in plastic. My only other issues are that the rear door opens out instead of lifting up, and that it doesn''t do well with gas.

Since I feel like I don''t need the third row, and I hate polluting the Earth any more than I already am, I want to go down to the RX400 hybrid. Nate has a LX470 and it''s big enough for the four of us (when the other two arrive).

The Mercedes GL is also on my list. It''s really nice and it drives extremely well.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone with a 3rd row SUV been hit from behind? I''m curious as to how safe the 3rd row would be if something like that happened.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
oobiecoo: you must have been reading my mind! The safety of the third row seat has always been a concern for me. Wonder if there have been studies on this?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
how about the MAzda CX-9? A beautiful looking car. Anyone own one? Wonder if you can get 3 seats in 2nd row....

Mrs. S, have you seen the 2008 Caravan? I am not a fan of the beafier looking front-looks wierd to me??!!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
We have really been looking hard at the Mazda CX-9 (really nice!), the Buick Rendevouz, and the Hyundai Veracruz. I never thought that we would think about any of these brands, but the Mazda and the Hyundai got great reviews as crossover vehicles. I haven''t seen the Buick in person but it''s supposed to be extremely popular.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 2:31:21 PM
Author: Sophie
has anyone seen/or own a GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook? they are my current lust at the moment. Lots of seating, leg room, storage room...three rows....

looks like an SUV from outside, just perfect in my opinion, just out of our pricerange (comfortably) at the time being.

I test drove an Acadia. I like it, but there was something about that skylight. It freaked me out. I think it''s beautifully built, however.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Sorry this is TOTALLY off topic
9.gif
But, I''m just reading this wonderful thread and notice that everyone keeps losing their long posts. I just wanted to mention that when that happens to me, I just have to hit the back button on my browser and it takes me back to the page I just made my entry on and my typing is all still there! I have a Mac so I''m not sure if that''s the difference. But try it next time and it may save you a lot of hassle. K, back to family car talk
9.gif

I just got a 2007 Honda CR-V earlier this year and I''ve had my 11 month old niece driving with me a few times. Her rear-facing carseat doesn''t fit very well in the back seat unless one of the front seats is moved significantly forward (meaning, it''s not comfortable in the front seats). I''m hoping that if I still have this car when my own babies come that I can just find certain styles and sizes that fit in my car? Has anyone else had to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results