shape
carat
color
clarity

Katy Perry on Seasame Street

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone else heard about the controversy that Katy Perry was too underclothed on Seasame Street? I think its a bit crazy, but whatever. Kids are going to see scantily clad people everywhere these days, and I think its blown out of proportion.
I can't link the video bc I'm on my phone, but its been pulled off the show, tho u can still watch it.
Opinions? Can someone link it for me?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And personally, while yes, she's showing a lot of cleavage, unless kids are really grown up these days I don't recall ever looking at that kind of stuff when I was a kid. If I were watching it as an adult, I would think, hm, that outfit is a bit low in the chest. But I wouldn't think my kid was scarred for life or anything.

People just have more tender sensibilities these days.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
On the radio this morning, they said some parents claimed their kids were "getting aroused" because of her outfit.

Um...no.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
On the radio this morning, they said some parents claimed their kids were "getting aroused" because of her outfit.

Um...no.

Then these parents should be ashamed or embarrassed that their 12 year old needs to be watching Sesame Street.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:

Um...no.

Then these parents should be ashamed or embarrassed that their 12 year old needs to be watching Sesame Street.

I just spit out my water. Well played, TGal.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
MonkeyPie said:

Um...no.

Snort. If these kids knows that boobies = sex, there are some serious problems going on.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's blown out of proportion simply due to what their spokesperson said:

"'Sesame Street' has a long history of working with celebrities across all genres, including athletes, actors, musicians and artists. 'Sesame Street' has always been written on two levels, for the child and adult. We use parodies and celebrity segments to interest adults in the show because we know that a child learns best when co-viewing with a parent or care-giver. We also value our viewer’s opinions and particularly those of parents. In light of the feedback we’ve received on the Katy Perry music video which was released on You Tube only, we have decided we will not air the segment on the television broadcast of 'Sesame Street,' which is aimed at preschoolers. Katy Perry fans will still be able to view the video on You Tube."

The choice of this outfit was made to market specifically to adults. I understand where they are coming from and from a business perspective, I can appreciate them tapping into the adult market in order to get more children to watch. However, this is still a children's shows and when they do things like make the outfits "sexy" it takes away from the primary mission of reaching out to children.

Would I have sent in hate mail? No. But I'm a bit disgusted with them for doing this.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
I don't think it's blown out of proportion simply due to what their spokesperson said:

"'Sesame Street' has a long history of working with celebrities across all genres, including athletes, actors, musicians and artists. 'Sesame Street' has always been written on two levels, for the child and adult. We use parodies and celebrity segments to interest adults in the show because we know that a child learns best when co-viewing with a parent or care-giver. We also value our viewer’s opinions and particularly those of parents. In light of the feedback we’ve received on the Katy Perry music video which was released on You Tube only, we have decided we will not air the segment on the television broadcast of 'Sesame Street,' which is aimed at preschoolers. Katy Perry fans will still be able to view the video on You Tube."

The choice of this outfit was made to market specifically to adults. I understand where they are coming from and from a business perspective, I can appreciate them tapping into the adult market in order to get more children to watch. However, this is still a children's shows and when they do things like make the outfits "sexy" it takes away from the primary mission of reaching out to children.

Would I have sent in hate mail? No. But I'm a bit disgusted with them for doing this.

I don't think the idea was getting adults to watch sesame street, and then the children watching as a by product. If TGuy wants to see cleavage, he's going to get it somewhere else because *I* would be slightly disturbed if I found out he tuned into SS in order to a view of some boobage. This was to give dad an incentive to watch when little Johnny already is viewing it. At that point, the idea is dad would be interactive with little Johnny and say "See Johnny, 'B is for Boobie." :rolleyes:

I have no problem with SS marketing to adults. I like watching it because it's fun and makes me crack up. I will happily watch it with Amelia and interact with her, while cracking up that Sarah Jessica partner is waiting for "Big." Ask me to watch Wonder Pets and you'll see a grimace like no other.

Anyway, gives a whole new meaning to not letting your kids watch too much "boob tube."

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not offended. More like baffled. Good lord, what were they thinking when they designed that outfit??

I can ONLY think they wanted the media attention because I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind designing an outfit like that for a kids show. Frankly, I would be embarassed to wear what amounts to a bustier -- and a looooow cut one like that -- in ANY context other than a night with DH, a night as a stripper, or going clubbing when I was 18. And those last two options are sort of the same thing 8)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a little much. I will say my daughter LOVES her music. Don't think she would notice the cleavage.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I actually do think the outfit choice was inappropriate. Now I agree it's not something a young child is going to notice or be affected by! But then what purpose did it serve--so Katy Perry can show off more skin even during a kids' show? Or was it because SS is trying to appeal to the dads who are watching (also ridiculous). It had to cross their minds as a side effect.

I think it's great when celebs do kids shows..it helps keep it entertaining for the adults and relevant to the times. But I think almost all celebs tone down their "celebrity persona" for the occassion and no reason why K.Perry couldnt have easily done the same. Cleavage is fine, but with this particular outfit, it's kinda hard not to look--whether or not you care to!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am not offended. More like baffled. Good lord, what were they thinking when they designed that outfit??

I can ONLY think they wanted the media attention because I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind designing an outfit like that for a kids show. Frankly, I would be embarassed to wear what amounts to a bustier -- and a looooow cut one like that -- in ANY context other than a night with DH, a night as a stripper, or going clubbing when I was 18. And those last two options are sort of the same thing 8)

This. Thank you, DD. I know they can see this sort of outfit everywhere...I like SS because we see real women (even *gasp* older women) who are more interested in their careers/kids/singing/muppet tomfoolery than in displaying their bodies, for any reason, sexual or otherwise. For the record, I'm not a prude. For the record, I'm all for SS showing physical fitness...bring on the athletes in their athletic wear! Yes!

For goodness sake, can we please have a few places for the wee ones where it's about the brains/personality/achievement...(that, or put Luis in a thong...what? He works out.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:

Um...HER? :tongue:

tinkerbell-4.jpg

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:

This is what I was trying to get at with my post.

I'm not offended with sexy clothing (more like jealous :tongue: ) but I strongly feel that certain markets need to be untapped. Children related products or shows is one area that sex just needs to stay away. However, I'm also not ignorant to believe that sex is never used in children's shows or movies. And I also think that a child's reaction will mimic that of a parent. If you start yelling that you can see someone's boobs, the child is going to go 'huh?! Boobs?! Where?? I want to see!!!!" We have to do our part to preserve some of their innocence too.

That reminds me of when I was younger. My parents never let me see anything that was sexual in content, which mean we were pretty much a G rated house. One day in 5th grade, we were doing assignments on presidents and I raised my hand and said "Rodney and I are doing x president" (can't remember which one).

My teacher said "oh, you're doing him?" and everyone in the class laughed.

I had no idea why that was funny and didn't get that joke until years later.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get that it's a bit much, but really...

Did your parents not let you play with barbie because she has giant juggernauts and always wore ridiculous stilletos? I still remember kissing barbie...and I don't think she was meant to kiss my stuffed animals and other girl barbies like I used her for. No, that barbie was a ho!

And check out the skanky tinkerbell outfit from above.

I don't disagree that it's just totally unnecessary for the show however. It's definitely not tasteful for the environment. But neither were barbie's giant boobs....and there were never bikinis that quite covered those things.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:

Did your parents not let you play with barbie because she has giant juggernauts and always wore ridiculous stilletos? I still remember kissing barbie...and I don't think she was meant to kiss my stuffed animals and other girl barbies like I used her for. No, that barbie was a ho!

I don't disagree that it's just totally unnecessary for the show however. It's definitely not tasteful for the environment. But neither were barbie's giant boobs....and there were never bikinis that quite covered those things.

Of course I played with Barbie and her outrageous tatas...but I also remember my folks talking up other toys I had (Barbies were from my grandparents.) If they had made dolls of the Magic Garden ladies, my mom would have kicked Barbie out of the pink townhouse and let Carole and Paula dolls move on in. My point was that it's nice to have certain havens where I don't get my "women are more than their bodies" panties in a bunch, especially where my toddlers are concerned.

Those panties, by the way -- big ol' granny panties.

There is a lot of chatter about how women are portrayed in Disney movies...there are many interesting view points.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, they didn't make her hide her "dirty pillows?" :read: Ahhhh, I think the outfit is cute and Disney like in theory - in that one shot, she's standing in such a way that her cleavage is more apparent. But in other shots, it's barely noticeable and more like a Tinkerbell or princess outfit from Disney. To compare, look at Belle's cleavage! And The Little Mermaid was wearing a little bandeau top, but I doubt anyone noticed. Jasmin from Aladdin was wearing a bustier style top, is that wrong? LOL

disney-princesses (1).jpg

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I want to clarify...I don't think breasts are "dirty" nor necessarily sexual. I don't think they're dirty even if they are only being displayed as sexual.

In fact, if Katy Perry were nursing on Sesame Street, I would be dancing in same street. (Even if she *gasp* didn't cover up. Or if she did.) I'm betting more people would have a problem with the nursing than with this!

Also, if Katy Perry were showing us her body in a Slim Goodbody kinda way (i.e. Look at all the awesome things our bodies can do! Stay healthy!) I'd be all for it.

So for me, it's all about why she's showing her cleavage.

(And, yeah, I have issues with Disney. Good thing I don't have girls).

I'm a grumpy grumpy gus.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
jas said:
TravelingGal said:

Of course I played with Barbie and her outrageous tatas...but I also remember my folks talking up other toys I had (Barbies were from my grandparents.) If they had made dolls of the Magic Garden ladies, my mom would have kicked Barbie out of the pink townhouse and l et Carole and Paula dolls move on in. My point was that it's nice to have certain havens where I don't get my "women are more than their bodies" panties in a bunch, especially where my toddlers are concerned.

There is a lot of chatter about how women are portrayed in Disney movies...there are many interesting view points.

I think this is sort of the issue. We are parents want everything (I use "everything" as a generalization) to be innocent for our kids. But our kids ARE innocent, so this is more about us than it is about them.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hehehehe, Jas! The "dirty pillows" reference is from a really old Stephen King movie called Carrie. The crazy mom goes nuts about her daughter's prom dress because her "dirty pillows" are showing. Carrie exclaims, "They're breasts, Mama! And everyone has them!" No one's implying breasts are dirty! Breasts are beautiful! I agree that there is a time and place for showing them in an appropriate way, though.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Bliss said:
Hehehehe, Jas! The "dirty pillows" reference is from a really old Stephen King movie called Carrie. The crazy mom goes nuts about her daughter's prom dress because her "dirty pillows" are showing. Carrie exclaims, "They're breasts, Mama! And everyone has them!" No one's implying breasts are dirty! Breasts are beautiful! I agree that there is a time and place for showing them in an appropriate way, though.

LOL. Now if you put Carrie (esp. post-prom) on Sesame Street, my grannie panties would certainly and permanently be in a bunch.

I was just trying to make sure I wasn't coming across as Miss Fussypants Noboobs

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious to see how barbie has evolved over the years.

Anyway, I don't like Katy's outfit in the episode and I especially don't like the 'why' that was given. I won't boycott PBS though or not let S watch the show when she gets older. Whatever ties her down for a few minutes while teaching her some things is a-ok with me.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha! Miss Fussypants Noboobs!!!! Jas, you crack me up! I love your sharp wit!

Well, we know Elmo is a big fan!!!! Look how happy he is here! No need to Tickle This Elmo!

Katy-with-Elmo-3-19-10.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
I'm curious to see how barbie has evolved over the years.

Me, too! I was just looking at the image of the Disney princesses, even. And notice how different Snow White looks from the rest of them? The newer princesses have teeny tiny waists and are skinny minnies. Snow White is definitely "heavier" compared to the rest. I never noticed it before but the difference is pretty noticeable when you put her next to the rest of the princesses. Her arms are rounded and fuller and her waist isn't the circumference of a pencil like the others. Plus, her chest isn't supersized like the others. :-o What, princesses all have to be size zeros to be in the Disney club? The only plus size characters I can think of are Ursula from Little Mermaid (villain) and Princess Fiona in her ogre form. Geez.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D said:

HA! Yes, but notice how Tinks bobbies are nicely tucked inside her slutty outfit, whereas Miss Perry's outfit barely covers her nipples! It is a slight but important different to me.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D said:

HA! Yes, but notice how Tinks bobbies are nicely tucked inside her slutty outfit, whereas Miss Perry's outfit barely covers her nipples! It is a slight but important different to me.

That's only because she's actually wearing Tinkerbell's outfit. Tinkerbell is only a few inches tall so of course there would be less fabric left to cover Katy's bobbies. :twirl: That or the dry cleaners messed up and shrank it!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
jas said:
TravelingGal said:

Of course I played with Barbie and her outrageous tatas...but I also remember my folks talking up other toys I had (Barbies were from my grandparents.) If they had made dolls of the Magic Garden ladies, my mom would have kicked Barbie out of the pink townhouse and l et Carole and Paula dolls move on in. My point was that it's nice to have certain havens where I don't get my "women are more than their bodies" panties in a bunch, especially where my toddlers are concerned.

I think this is sort of the issue. We are parents want everything (I use "everything" as a generalization) to be innocent for our kids. But our kids ARE innocent, so this is more about us than it is about them.

But if it is about us, isn't it also about "us" trying to protect children's environments from media's attempt to send subconscious messages through every medium possible in order to garner more reaction. If not PBS (which does not have adverstising), certainly Katy Perry. It's just unnecessary and not the appropriate forum for it. Unlike Barbie and Disney characters (which still stays tasteful and designed to represent what is considered beautiful in society at the time) she is a live person who promotes a persona built around catchy songs and being overtly sexual. She's said many times it's a reaction to her upbringing. Totally fine, but why inject it into little kidde programming? It's not just the cleavage, it's the illfitting top -- maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't believe much in the media is oversight, it's usually well thought out. I swear I'm not a total prude, just trying to explain my view.

Having said that the 2nd shot with Elmo isn't as bad as the initial link.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:

No, I actually did NOT play with Barbie growing up. My mom thought she was a ridiculous doll and so I was never bought any. I was given Jem, though (remember Jem and the holograms) because unlike Barbie, Jem had a JOB and also a reason in that job for dressing the way that she did. "Doctor barbie" did not pass muster in our house because it was an afterthought for the doll, not her identity.

I don't believe is sheltering kids, but I do believe in making them informed consumers of media.

And Nope, I do not like stupid Disney princesses for the same reason I do not like Jem.

My objection to KP's outfit is NOT about sex per se. It is about the fact that women like KP are so sexualized in their image that they cannot even be on a kids show for gosh sakes and wear something fun and playful for the kiddos. It reminds me of the girls in my class who come to lecture wearing club gear. C'mon, is there no other way you can present yourself to the world??

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:

NONONONO... this is not about protecting the innocence for me. Our kids watch KP dressed like that and they LEARN something about women and how they should dress and what they are worth. Not on an explicit level at 2 years old, but over time these messages sink in and teach them inportant things about social roles, and values.

I am with jas, I don't care about her showing her body if it is for a reason and not just to be sexy... and that second shot does nothing to convince me that the outfit is not skanky. Look at her armpit and where her breast starts, then look how faaaar below it the actual dress starts. If you would not wear it to work or to school then I think it is silly to wear on SS (assuming you are not a hooker going to hooker school or course).

If I was watching that with my son I would frankly change the channel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results